Start by marking “Possession” as Want to Read:
Possession

Possession

(Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy #2)

When the ghost of a notorious killer possesses the body of an upper class youth, London's preeminent medium, Emily Chambers, must exorcise it before the spirit goes on a rampage. As if this isn't distraction enough, she must fight her feelings for brooding ghost, Jacob Beaufort, who doesn't like the new man in her life-the handsome and very much alive, Theodore Hyde. With ...more
Audio CD
Published December 15th 2016 by Tantor Audio (first published August 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Possession, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
A strange little girl summoned an evil spirit into Jacob’s sister Adelaide, and it’s up to the only other spirit medium in London, Emily Chambers, a seventeen year old mixed-race middle class working girl, to stop him before he hurts someone. Also, Jacob is broody.

Possession brings us largely the same as The Medium in that Emily must investigate this strange ghostly possession and then race against time to overcome a villain who keeps slipping out of her hands. Luckily she is aided by George, wh
Ellana Thornton-Wheybrew
This is charming and tragic all at once
Verity Brown
More of a 2.5, because the plot was compelling, but the characters were IDIOTS.

Emily's story continues with her attempt to track down Jacob's killer. But she has to switch gears when she discovers that some other medium has brought a nasty ghost back from the dead to possess people.

Again, we've got an fascinating story, but it suffers from the same issues as the first book in the series. Emily spends as much time moping over her impression that Jacob doesn't love her after all as she did swooni
Kira
A little girl summons an evil spirit into Emily Chambers friend (and Jacobs sister), Adelaide. The spirit then transfers our of her body to Wallace, a male member of the upper classes, and goes to have some "fun". Emily, George, Jacob and Theo (Wallace's cousin) Must find him before something bad happens to Wallace and/or his reputation and rid him of the spirit that possesses him. But who is the master behind the scheme? And who is the little girl and where can they find her?

This was a wonderfu
Rachel
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Archer's historical perspective. The reader gets a fairly good picture of the city in that time period, and an even better idea about the social structure and customs. I thought the character development / interactions were better in this book than Book 1, which I also really enjoyed. I feel like the author did a great job of growing the conflict between Emily and Jacob, the characters seemed to be really working through things this book, unlike the first where their relationship ...more
Marie J
A love triangle! Knew it would come.

But, in all seriousness, I did quite like this second novel, more so than the first one since the action is much more present while the whole relationship takes a slight step back.

One thing it does very well is keeps me guessing as to the identity of the villain. I will, I believe, greatly like the next instalment of this series.
Jen
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was short with a lot happening in it. I enjoyed the mystery and intrigue, but sadly the fast-pace of all the infatuations and romance was a little annoying and a bit over-the-top. A quick, fast listen. Looking forward to the next one.
Lauren
In this second installment there is a demon on the loose able to possess people that Emily and Jacob have to stop. In this second book we are able to find out more about Jacob’s death and Emily’s past.

This book was hilarious, especially how George reacted through the whole thing. I was a little less enchanted with Jacob in this one but overall I am still rooting for him, even though he is dead. I really want to find out who is after Jacob! I can’t wait to start the third book!
Debbie
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Liking this trilogy but still don't know if the girl gets her spirit or her man! Also Paranormal "bad guys" are almost always more fun than their human counterparts. The new characters fit right in and the action is steady. If I can visualize it as I read, I know the author is doing a great job of keeping me invested in the storyline (IMHO). Can't wait to read #3. I have a feeling I'll be sad to see these characters leave at the end of the book...
angela
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

They is definitely a great series and worth reading. It's never boring, there is always something happening, a great mystery/love interest, with a wonderful crew of characters.
Andrea
The second book takes place shortly after the first. Emily Chambers, spirit medium, is at home with her sister when she gets a social call from Jacob Beaufort's mother and sister. They have come to ask Emily to summon Jacob. They want to ask him about his death because they want to find his body. Jacob doesn't want to help them find his body because it might not be safe for them.
Them something strange happens, Jacob's sister starts acting strangely. It soon becomes apparent that she is possessed
Leona Woolfolk
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- Disclaimer: I received Possession by C.J. Archer via Tantor Audio in exchange for a honest and unbiased review -

Rating: 4.5

Oh my gosh I want to cry! Possession by C.J. Archer was so good, but I don't necessarily think it completely had to do with the actual story.

As soon as I hit play on this audiobook I knew I was going to be in for a thrilling yet entertaining ride. Gemma Dawson's narration of this series, or what I've read of it so far, has seriously become a highlight. Fantasy stories cen
Mischa
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
2,5*, once again.

There were, once more, some problems. For example the inconsistencies between this book and the previous one. Jacob at least stopped acting like a complete idiot, even though my assessment of both the main characters' brain capacity is still questionable.

But honestly, I'm not even sure what to say about this one, exactly. It was an easy and nice read, I guess it didn't exactly offend me much. But all in all, it's nothing especial, and what more, definitely feels pretty weak. I
Kelsey
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have pretty much the same feelings towards this book as I did to the first. The story had promise but was smothered by the childish romance between Emily and Jacob. I felt like there wasn't much substance to the story and was let down by the end. The one thing that I do really appreciate about Archer's writing is that she creates an issue in the first book that kind of forces you to finish the series in order to see the resolution. It isn't like a lot of series that have one problem in each bo ...more
Karen Pennington
Watch out or you'll get hooked like I have.

So I've finished reading book two in this series and cannot wait to begin the third which I will be doing as soon as I finish this review. The characters and storyline are very well set out. As I read, I could barely put the first two books down. Needless to say, I've been carrying my Kindle around so that when a spare minute happens I can take a peak at what's happening next. Do yourself a favor and get all of these, fix you something good and cold to
Jill
Oh, what I had to go through to get a copy through ILL! Once again, Emily and Jacob have to solve another demonic-type mystery. Their love for each other is still an issue, though we do find out more about Emily's parentage. My daughter pointed out that this is very similar to Meg Cabot's Mediator series, though it's is set in Victorian times. She's right, and I'm wondering what resolution we'll find in the last book of this trilogy.
Kelsey Bedolli
Not as strong as the first and falls victim to some romance novel tropes where characters ride on emotions rather than things they can see and experience for themselves. But friendships are solidified in a very satisfying way and I love that Archer develops Emily's friendships, not just her feelings for Jacob. The particular issue of possession wasn't terribly captivating for me (although anything with demons isn't typically my cup of tea anyways), but the way that Emily has to start working wit ...more
Awallens
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a great follow up

I did not care for this follow up book and I’m not sure why. I was annoyed with Jacob for always wanting to save Emily. Honestly it got really annoying and maybe want to not finished the book. Maybe some people think this is romantic. I do not. I didn’t care for Cecilia either, and the fact that the little girl moved in with them without any qualms didn’t make sense either. Not sure if I will finish the series.
Mili Fay
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, drama, mystery, ya
Writing: 5 Stars;
Characters: 5 Stars;
Plot: 4 Stars;
Entertaining: 4 Stars;
Read Again? No.

Total: 4 Stars

I like this book better than the first, though sometimes I found myself frustrated by Emily’s foolishness.

This one is rather dark at times and very disturbing. I look forward to the next book.
Carrie Marshall
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, while not as captivating as the first, couldn’t hold my attention at first. But about half way through it started getting really good. I enjoy the characters in this series Especially Emily and Jacob. I feel sadness for them. Worth reading. A lot of action in this book. I’m now onto the final 3rd book.
Kathleen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story - I was hooked from the very first page. There were a lot of twists in this story to keep you reading. I wasn't prepared to like the idea of a human to ghost romance but it is really working for me. This trilogy so far has exceeded my expectations and I can't wait to dive into the third installment.
Elizabeth
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

C.J. Archer has written a story that will take readers to another plain of existence. The characters are fully fleshed out, enjoyable and relatable. Emily is engaging and intelligent. It is the kind of story where the reader can easily picture themselves as any of the characters. Thank you.
Sarah Battease
I like all of C. J. Archer's books that I've read. They are entertaining, quick reads. No, the characters (women especially) do not act like typical Victorians. However, magic wasn't really around then either, so I think a little artistic license should be allowed.
Judi
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy C.J. Archer’s books and I did sort of enjoy the first book of this series but the one was painful to finish. And as for the main character she needed to grow a pair and stop her crying all the time. Hopefully in the next book the main character will have her tear ducts dry up.
Jessica Capps
The action in this one is better than the first but the repetitive tension between the main characters is...tedious.
Lynette
These books go fast when listening, but the story telling is so slow. I’m ready for some resolution. It feels like we will never know who’s after Jacob.
Holly
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow up. Light fun easy read. I will read the next book in the trilogy.
Tracie Hall
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is book two of a trilogy. It's kept my interest so I'll be listening to book 3 as soon as my library Overdrive hold becomes available.
Tina Miller
Good writing, interesting characters, not much of a plot.
Crystal
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read but slow.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 25, 2016 07:40PM

• Inertia (Gravity, #3.5)
  • All the Tales We Tell (Hearts Out of Water #1)
  • Shattered (Hidden, #3)
  • The Harmony Scroll (Peacetaker #2)
  • Gather the Bones
  • With the Wind (A Series of Elements #3)
  • Drawn
  • The Women in the Walls
  • Ghost Dancer (A Modern Magics Story #3)
  • Certainty
  • Connecting (Lily Dale, #3)
  • Straight Jacket
  • Yesterday's Dead
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Stunned (The Lucidites, #2)
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • A Murder of Crones
  • Behind the Mask (Horstberg Saga #1)
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

Emily Chambers Spirit Medium Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Medium (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium #1)
  • Evermore (Emily Chambers Spirit Medium #3)
“it will be him. Arbuthnot likes to put his nose into everyone's business, but he's a good man.” 0 likes