Start by marking “A New Leash on Love (Rescue Me, #1)” as Want to Read:
A New Leash on Love (Rescue Me, #1)

A New Leash on Love

(Rescue Me #1)

When Craig Williams draws the short straw and has to take his daughter’s adorable new puppy to a shelter after the holidays, it’s just another painful episode in the fall-out of a miserable divorce. He needs to pick up the pieces of his life, and, after a fiery confrontation with Megan Anderson, the young woman running the shelter, he wants to put the whole episode behind ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published July 4th 2017 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published July 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A New Leash on Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Leash on Love

Start your review of A New Leash on Love (Rescue Me, #1)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book. I was pleasantly surprised very early in the book when I realized that the story was set in St. Louis. It is always a lot of fun to find some familiar places worked into this kind of story. I really liked how much of a role the shelter played in the story. The animals and the shelter are a big part of this one. This was a really well told romance that had a very realistic feeling.

Megan and Craig meet in a
Dianne
Who couldn’t love a tale with animals in need of love and a safe place to land that mimics the same predicament two souls find themselves in? What happens when a passionate young woman running an animal shelter deals less than graciously with a wealthy and handsome man seemingly dumping off a now unwanted puppy without a care? Sparks will fly, right, and maybe a little fur, but who knew those sparks of anger could become smoldering flames of passion between two people who have so little in commo ...more
Susan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A New Leash on Love

Debbie Burns

A NEW LEASH ON LOVE by Debbie Burns is the first book in the Rescue Me series. It is filled with relatable and very likable people. It all centers around the no kill shelter that Megan Anderson works at and has been running since the director got sick. There she meets Craig Williams, who has come in with a puppy surrender. He seems well to do, nice clothes, nice car, and she is aggravated that he seems to be dumping the puppy without any guilt at all. To say that f
Linda 📚
Wonderful contemporary romance. Megan Anderson works for an animal shelter where Craig Williams comes to turn in a chocolate lab puppy his daughter can't seem to take responsibility for. Sparks fly between him and Megan. Craig is newly divorced and he and his children are suffering emotionally. Megan immediately finds a forever home for the lab pup with a sweet older woman who's lost her husband and needs this puppy's companionship as much as he needs hers. When Craig and Sophie return wanting a ...more
NMmomof4
3 Stars

Overall Opinion: I'm giving it a solid "just okay" 3 Stars. For a freebie it wasn't bad! It just didn't make me fall in love either. It felt like it was too focused on the animals and not enough on the development of their relationship, there was very-little-to-no conflict even though there were some subjects that very well could've caused some angsty moments, and the ending left something to be desired. It won't go down on my favorites shelf, but I didn't hate it either...just feel kin
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

It is always a pleasure to come across a new author and be delighted by their debut story. A New Leash on Love by Debbie Burns was a wonderful story that has the many attributes I look for in a romance. It had believable and likeable characters, a supporting cast of cats and dogs and a second chance trope. Megan Anderson and Craig Williams are both recovering from a broken heart and are very wary of giving it a second chance. I guess when you aren’t looking for love it comes to you unexpectedly.
Saly
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a new-to-me author who I really enjoyed. The book is pretty sweet (with fade to black love scenes) with fantastic characters. The hero is a successful 35-year-old man who just went through a divorce and has two surviving kids (a 13yr old daughter and 9 year old son). The death of one of his sons destroyed his family and all of them are still recovering. He runs into the 10 year younger heroine when he goes to surrender his daughter's puppy and they don't make a good start of it. But actu ...more
Kate
3.5 - This book broke my heart. It is extremely emotional with a Hero who has experienced a tragedy and that he is trying to lead his life but really isn't. Meghan is a fantastic heroine, understanding yet strong. However she should have been honest and not a coward.

I would recommend this book. I think it is currently a freebie at date of posting.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
It's been a while since I read "A New Leash on Love" but I'm finding that two months later, I still love it just as much. It's funny how each year I associate my July 4th vacation week with a book that stuck in my mind and this year, this book is the one. It was a perfect way to spend a rainy day curled up on the couch with two lovable pooches reading about other ones.

Craig Williams is going through a divorce and as the book opens, he is having to take a puppy that his children adore to the loca
Barb Lie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A New Leash on Love by Debbie Burns is the first book in her new Rescue Me series. This was a wonderful sweet romance, with a family and animals as a major part of the story. Having never read anything before by Burns, I loved every moment of A New Leash on Love, and I plan on reading more of her books; especially the rest of this series.

Megan Anderson, our heroine, who runs an animal shelter, loves her job and her dog/cats. When Craig Williams, our hero, stops at the shelter to drop off a pupp
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

(Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review)

This was a very sweet story and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters of both Megan and Clint were flawed and had interesting back stories, but worked so well together.

As an animal lover, I adored that the main setting was a no kill shelter. I also really enjoyed that the character of Patrick had Aspergers and it was nice to see a character dealing with that condition.

I had one tiny issue and that was Cl
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

At first meeting, I thought Megan and Craig had sparks. Craig comes to the no-kill shelter where Megan works to surrender a Christmas puppy that has become too much to handle with his current family situation. Megan thinks that he is just another dumper and sort of lashed out at him. So I was expecting sizzle and a lot of banter between the two, once Megan learns that it isn’t the case.

Unfortunately, the spark diminishes, and Megan became more passive, meek, and lost her con
Ann Lorz
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, series
Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog: https://romancingthereaders.blogspot....

When I saw the cover of A New Leash of Love I couldn't wait to get it. I even pre-ordered it and that's something I don't often remember to do. I'm a huge fan of books with animals in them. I really believe that they help make a story.

So we had a great cover and a story full of animals. So far so good!

Like I said I couldn't wait to read it and then when it hit my ereader I was way to busy with other reviews to get
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was cute - heavy on the rescue dogs, a little light on the actual physical romance

Review to come
♡AbbyBooks♡
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Sophie is just the cutest preteen ever ♡ I love ths way Megan and Craig relationship develops and love their characters. Sophie's brother Reese I feel for him. It was just a good one . I love romance like this ♡
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isha Coleman
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am enamored of Debbie Burns. With outstretched arms and an open heart, she welcomes readers into her world of cuddly creatures, tempting humans and incredibly moving storytelling. A New Leash on Love comes from the heart, speaks to the heart and feeds the soul. Ms. Burns understands that humans aren't the only ones in need of love and hope. Whether human or animal we all need some TLC and a second chance.
Sandra Horling
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read. Great characters, pace, story. A must for dog lovers. Very well done for a debut novel. l wish the next one was coming sooner than 2018. Thank you Good Reads for suggesting this book.
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

Craig Williams has been grieving for quite some time. His family has suffered a terrible loss, and partly due to that, he is now divorced. Therefore, he must take his daughter's dog to a shelter immediately after the holidays. Craig is heartbroken, almost as much as his daughter Sophie.

When Craig meets the shelter's acting director, Megan Anderson, they knock heads. Craig presents as extremely angry and he definitely rubs Megan the wrong way. Their paths begin to cross, howe
Evelyn
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed for www.buriedunderromance.com

A NEW LEASH ON LOVE, the first contemporary romance by Debbie Burns, is also the kick-off novel for a new series, Rescue Me. This delightful five star read takes us inside the world of an animal shelter, and while I think anyone will be hooked on this well written story, it will especially appeal to animal lovers.
Megan Anderson, the hard-working director of a non-profit animal shelter, rejoices when she finds new forever homes for any of the m
Traci
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Started out well, then got to a point that I almost did not finish. Sigh.

The good first. Writing was decent, character development wasn't too bad, and of course, because our heroine works in a shelter, a lot of information about dogs, cats, shelters, etc. Love that part!

Now the bad. And yes, this will include spoilers, so I'm hiding this part. Read on only if you've 1) already read the book or 2) have no intention of reading it and just want to know why I struggled to finish it.

(view spoiler)
Angela Evans
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Debbie Burns will take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions with A New Leash On Love! With the backdrop set in an animal shelter, there's little chance you'll escape dry-eyed but Burns takes it above and beyond with this multi-layered love story you won't soon forget!

One for the Keeper Shelf!
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, books-to-review
I have said this before but I am a sucker for any book that has dogs in it and this one has not one but MANY dogs since Megan runs an animal shelter. The biggest plus is how much it brings shelters to the front and gives the reader a look into how shelters operate and that it is not easy or cheap to run them and perhaps donations will be made after reading this book!

Megan and Craig are destined to be together but they don't know it at first....Craig has baggage from his first marriage and he has
SandyL
Megan Anderson runs an animal shelter and is having a bad day when a wealthy man drops off a "Christmas puppy" - a puppy that was given as an Xmas gift and now, a month later, is being turned into a shelter. Craig Williams doesn't appreciate the shelter worker losing her temper with him - he doesn't want to give up the puppy, but he has no choice. When his daughter convinces him to try and get the puppy back, he isn't able to, but other events happen to bring Megan into his family's life. I real ...more
Shari
Apr 17, 2017 added it
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Delight
A second chance on love with some rescue animals? Sign me up, but that felt like a mistake. It was a delight to see rescue animals, it wasn't so much a delight in the love and relationship side.

Review
Craig Williams is going through a divorce and things just aren't very upbeat. Now he is stuck taking his daughter's Christmas puppy to
Annett
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up A New Leash On Love this morning at Wal Mart because I love the cover. It's a new author and it look like a very good book. I started reading it as soon as I got back home and I just finished it. Once I started I could not stop. I loved Megan and at first I hated Craig. I felt sorry for the children but it all worked out for them all. I absolutely loved this book and would recommend everyone read it. I know Debbie Burns will be added to my favorite authors list. Thank you.
Savannah Hendricks
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm new to this author, and I'm grateful to have discovered this series. I absolutely loved the story, I couldn't stop reading. Highly recommended.
Deanie Nelder
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
As an animal shelter volunteer, I know how difficult it is to do that kind of work, so it's great to see a shelter worker as the MC in a romance novel. Megan is flawed, and that's what makes her such a great character. Craig, her love interest, is a little too perfect at times, but his interaction with his kids is wonderful. The children add another dimension to the novel, and dealing with the grief of losing their brother (Craig's son) brings a seriousness and depth that this novel needs. Great ...more
Notserp2002
May 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
loved the whole story line around the animal rescue center. thinking i am going to have to find the rest of this series.
Kathy
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

I really loved this story. Megan and Craig meet over a dog. I appreciated how Craig put his kids first and had to learn that loving Megan was ok. All the dogs were a welcome addition and made things fun. It is a heartwarming read with a satisfying ending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Puppy Love (Forever Home, #1)
  • Puppy Christmas (Forever Home, #2)
  • Chasing Tail (The Dogmothers, #3)
  • Big Chance Cowboy
  • Sweet Wild of Mine (Where the Wild Hearts Are #2)
  • Wild on My Mind (Where the Wild Hearts Are #1)
  • Lucky Chance Cowboy
  • Three Dog Night (The Dogmothers, #2)
  • Dachshund Through the Snow (The Dogmothers, #2.5)
  • Country Strong (Painted Pony Creek #1)
  • I've Got You, Babe (Must Love Babies #2)
  • The Rancher's Redemption (The Millers of Morgan Valley Book 2)
  • The Devil in the Saddle (Princes of Texas, #2)
  • Cowboy Christmas Jubilee (Holiday, Texas #2)
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
  • Hot Under the Collar (The Dogmothers, #1)
  • A Dog Called Valentine
  • Summer on Moonlight Bay / Then There Was You
Though she still dreams of country life, Debbie Burns currently lives in a gingerbread house in Saint Louis along with her family, two phenomenal rescue dogs, and a somewhat tetchy Maine Coon cat who everyone loves anyway. Her hobbies include hiking, gardening, and daydreaming, which of course always leads to new story ideas.

Debbie’s writing commendations include a starred review from Publisher’s

Rescue Me (5 books)
  • Sit, Stay, Love (Rescue Me #2)
  • My Forever Home (Rescue Me #3)
  • Love at First Bark (Rescue Me, #4)
  • Head Over Paws (Rescue Me, #5)