Jump to ratings and reviews

Highland Weddings #3

Highland Hellion

KATHERINE CAREW

Illegitimate daughter of an English earl… Abducted to Scotland at age 14… No family, no reputation… No rules

ROLFE MCTAVISH

Heir to an honorable Highland laird… Can’t believe how well tomboy Kate can fight… About to learn how much of a woman she really is

Scotland is seething with plots, the vengeful Gordons are spoiling for a fight, and the neighboring clans are at each other’s throats. All it takes is a passionate hellion with a penchant for reckless adventure to ignite the Highlands once more.

320 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published June 6, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mary Wine

60 books786 followers
Mary Wine has written over twenty novels that take her readers from the pages of history to the far reaches of space. Recent winner of a 2008 EPPIE Award for erotic western romance, her book LET ME LOVE YOU was quoted “Not to be missed…” by Lora Leigh, New York Times best-selling author.

When she’s not abusing a laptop, she spends time with her sewing machines…all of them! Making historical garments is her second passion. From corsets and knickers to court dresses of Elizabeth I, the most expensive clothes she owns are hundreds of years out of date. She’s also an active student of martial arts, having earned the rank of second degree black belt.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
57 (6%)
1 star
18 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 92 reviews
Profile Image for Alyssa.
1,069 reviews837 followers
October 5, 2017
Hmmm, I think I like this one more than book two, possibly as much as book one... this book was not nearly as similar as books one and two were, because there were obvious elements that made it stand on its own, elements that I liked a lot. I didn't think I'd like Katherine, based on the beginning of this book, but I ended up liking her a lot. I adored Rolfe (yes, he has redeemed himself), and I especially love their relationship. This is going to sound a little naughty but I LOVE their passion, but I especially love how Katherine was definitely not how I thought she would be (in terms of sexy times). In a good way. Hehehehehehe.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Highland Hellion by Mary Wine
Book Three of the Highland Weddings series
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: June 6, 2017
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

KATHERINE CAREW
Illegitimate daughter of an English earl... Abducted to Scotland at age 14... No family, no reputation... No rules

ROLFE MCTAVISH
Heir to an honorable Highland laird... Can't believe how well tomboy Kate can fight... About to learn how much of a woman she really is

Scotland is seething with plots, the vengeful Gordons are spoiling for a fight, and the neighboring clans are at each other's throats. All it takes is a passionate hellion with a penchant for reckless adventure to ignite the Highlands once more.

What I Liked:

I really enjoyed Highland Spitfire and Highland Vixen, the first two books in this series and the first two Mary Wine books that I've read. So far this series has yet to disappoint me! While I freely admit that I liked but didn't not enjoy Highland Vixen as much as I'd liked Highland Spitfire, I can safely say that I liked Highland Hellion a great deal, possibly as much as I'd liked Highland Spitfire.

In Highland Vixen, we met fourteen-year-old Katherine Carew, bastard daughter of an English earl, who Marcus MacPherson saved from arranged marriage. Six years later, Katherine is a woman now - but she is a woman who knows how to wield a weapon and handle herself against a man. Unfortunately this leads her to a bit of trouble, but it also leads her to Rolfe McTavish. Rolfe saves Katherine but he isn't going to let her go - not when he wants to protect her, teach her a little lesson in Highlander etiquette, and, well, he wants her in general. A stubborn, reckless English girl and an honorable, protective Highlander will take the Highlands - and England - by storm.

At first I wasn't sure if I would Katherine, because she seemed almost too headstrong. She has had too many freedoms granted, in which she knows nothing about running a home or raising children, but she knows more than enough about standing someone with a dagger or fighting them off. In the beginning, Katherine is excessively reckless, almost stupid, and very selfish. But she begins to see the error in her ways, and how set in her ways she has become. She sees how selfish she has been, and how easy she had it. I love that the author made her headstrong, fierce, and stubborn, but eventually, smart enough to recognize when she was wrong.

Rolfe! Rolfe is a sweetheart, and a little different compared to the other heroes of this story. You can see how similar the ladies are - they are all stubborn and tough. But Rolfe is a little different from the other men. Yes, he is an alpha and he is protective, big, muscular, handsome, attractive, and commanding. But Rolfe is also very honorable, and follows a strict code of honor. He refuses to do anything that would dishonor his father, his clan, and his reputation. Rolfe is a good, good man, and he does right by Katherine every single time. He is all kinds of swoony, and not just physically!

I like this unlikely pair! The stubborn, tomboy-ish girl, and the honorable, duty-bound warrior. One is reckless and impulsive, the other is more stoic and occasionally wicked. It's almost an opposites attract romance (pretty much, it is)! From the start, Rolfe and Katherine have a great connection.

The romance is very sexy and swoony and delightful! Like the previous two books, the chemistry hits hard from the start, but unlike the previous two books, the sexy times erupt a little earlier (though not super early - just earlier than in the first two books). I liked this change in pace! Sometimes the romance in books one and two were frustrating, because you kept waiting for the characters to get it on. Rolfe and Katherine fall in lust very quickly, but falling in love takes a little more time. One thing that surprised me was Katherine's nature in the bedroom - I liked that both characters preferred things a little rough. You don't always see that type of chemistry in historical romance.

The story was very engaging and sometimes a little tense. Katherine is captured by the Gordons, then rescued by the McTavishes, but Rolfe has plans that don't involve depositing her to the MacPhersons. But then Rolfe's father decides that he also has plans for Katherine, and so Katherine and Rolfe are back on the road, to England. It's a busy, busy story! An entertaining one, at that. I love how the author has so many Scottish clans interacting (either fighting, or calling temporary truces but still stealing each other's cattle). Part of the story is about bringing peace to Scotland and having the clans cease their warring, and so far, the author is moving that plot along really nicely.

I really enjoyed this third book in the series, despite being slightly wary of Katherine (from the beginning of this book - but that changed)! From book two, I expected her to be paired with a different love interest (her best friend, but he is not interested in her at all), but he isn't even in this book. I must say, Rolfe redeemed himself wonderfully, and I adored him. This book was great!

What I Did Not Like:

I can't think of anything specific that I didn't like. Maybe one small detail - calling those in the Lowlands "barbarians"? I always hate when the term is "barbarians", in any context.

Would I Recommend It:

If you historical romance, especially Scottish/Highlander romance, you should give this book a chance! The series in general (though maybe Highland Spitfire and/or Highland Hellion - you can probably skip Highland Vixen, though it definitely is good too). This is a really fun and sexy Highlander romance series that I've enjoyed so far!

Rating:

4 stars. I can't wait to read Highland Flame! We meet the hero of that book in this one - Diocail Gordon - and he is PERFECT. So swoony! I am so excited. Will I like him more than I liked Bhaic? Rolfe? We'll see!

EDIT: win a copy of Highland Spitfire and Highland Vixen!

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? A third book? I hope it's Katherine and [ ]'s story!

description
description
Profile Image for Lover of Romance.
2,700 reviews779 followers
June 30, 2017
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceHighland Hellion was a fast paced and super charged historical romance that was feisty, fun and thrilling and boy this book reminded me why I admire this author so much, and she can write highlander romances like no other. I was swept away by Highland Hellion, and even though its not my favorite book of the series (book one still holds that title) this book was still a book I fell in love with pretty quickly. Highland Hellion takes places in the early seventeen hundreds in the Highlands. Kate was born English, but she was brought to Scotland against her will when she was only 14 years old, she was trained to fight and ride like regular men. And now she is asked to suddenly do all the "right" things the most women do, which to Kate is downright boring. She can ride and hunt better than most. Kate was quite the most amusing character. I like that she is proud of who she is, and even though she can be a bit too arrogant at times, she also is spirited, passionate and determined. She admits to her own mistakes and suffers the consequences willingly. This is a aspect of her personality that I gravitated towards. Yes the whole high spirited heroine was a fun aspect. But its seeing her become humble and viewing a different side to her. The more emotional side, this portion of her character that grows in this book. We see her realize that every action has a consequence and she learns some valuable life lessons here. Then we have our hero, Rolfe. He is the son of the Laird, and has many responsbilities. But when Kate saves the lives of himself and his men, he is indebted to her. He refuses to leave her in the hands of a enemy clan, and through a chain of events, they end up married through convenience but also affection and desire which slowly builds to love.

There is quite a bit in this story that you learn to admire and even have some fun with too. There is some historical aspects here, but Mary Wine balances it out very well. So that if you don't like to have too much historical details in a romance, than I highly recommend this one, or any other book by this author. She writes these highlander romances that are so well balanced, and don't overshadow other aspects. Every part of the story here seemed to flow together just right. We do get to see some more of our villain of the series, and boy he is downright mean and evil. But does bring some adversity that this couple has to face. The romance that builds between these two is quick and fun, their bantering is contagious and this couple gave me plenty of laughs. But they are a wonderful match together, and even though there is some angst between them at first, it definitely gives way quickly. I do think there could have been a bit more emphasis on the love story, the plot tended to overtake the romance at times, and that is the only thing I would have liked to see different.

Overall Highland Hellion was a thrilling ride of adventure, danger, growth of characters and some fun sexy times in the highlands!!!

Click To Buy On Amazon
[foogallery id="24889"]

photo Addicted To Romance Reviews 2_zpsplp8m0tb.png
Profile Image for Lori Meehan.
983 reviews
May 21, 2017
I love Mary Wine's historical romance stories and this one did not disappoint. The characters were fun, witty and strong. Katherine might of been born English but she was as strong as any highland lass. Rolfe MacTavish didn't know what he was getting himself into when he decided to teach Katherine a lesson for her hellion ways. Taking her home to hold her for ransom but his father the laird has only a title in mind and sends word to the kings keeper Morton. Knowing his son wants Katherine he will prove he has control and send Rolfe to deliver Katherine to her fate with the Morton. He underestimates Rolfes need for Katherine and his strength to stand up to his father to have what he want and he wants Katherine above all. That is if they servive Mortons rath.
I loved the ending of this book. I can't say more for it will give to much away.
*Book Obsessed Chicks Review team
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,518 reviews16 followers
March 22, 2017
Highland Hellion 'Highland Hellion' by Mary Wine is book Three in the "Highland Weddings" series.  This is the story of Katherine and Rolfe.  I have read the other book in this series and I do feel this can be a standalone book.  Katherine did appear in the book Two "Highland Vixen" where Marcus and Helen had taken her in after Katherine was being offered to Marcus as a child-wife. Katherine is English and was kidnapped around 13 years of age to be married off but after getting out of that predicament she was taken in by a Highland Family.  Marcus who was the Lair allowed her to learn to fight just like a Highland Warrior so she didn't know much of being a Highlands Women. When Katherine goes off to feel 'free' one night she meets Rolfe.  Katherine gets away from Rolfe on that first meeting but on their second meeting she helps him and a friend get away before they can be killed.  But she is taken instead and then Rolfe goes to save her.  Once Rolfe gets Katherine back he takes her to his home but his father isn't happy that a English women/Katherine is there. Of course this was another great story by Ms. Wine.  Ms. Wine is one of my favorite authors and when I got this book I had to read it at once! I didn't stop until I had finished their story. *A Book Obsessed Chicks Review Team Selection*https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1...  https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/A2H... https://twitter.com/soapsrus68https:/... https://www.tumblr.com/blog/romancebo...
Profile Image for Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures).
1,524 reviews855 followers
November 6, 2018
Highland Hellion is book three in the Highland Weddings series by Mary Wine.

This was a fast paced, feisty, fun and thrilling historical romance. I was swept away. Historical romance is not my go to genre, but Highland Hellion was a delight.

Kate is English born, but she was brought to Scotland against her will when she was a child. In the previous book we see her escape a bad situation and be taken into the highland and become part of the MacPherson clan where she is given the freedom to learn to fight and ride like regular men. Now she is all grown up and asked to suddenly do the things women do, which to Kate is boring. They gave her freedom and now they are chaining her. She rebels in a way. I like that she is proud of who she is, she spirited, passionate, and determined. She also admits to her own mistakes and suffers the consequences willing. This is what I gravitated towards and enjoyed.

Rolfe, our hero. He is the son of a Laird and has many responsibilities. Kate saves his life and the lives of his men. He is indebted to her and refuse to leave her in the hands of the enemy clan. Through a chain of events he ends up married to Kate.

Their romance builds slowly into love. Their banter is contagious and their is plenty of laughs.

Overall this was a fun adventure with danger, growth, and romance.

Rated: 4 Stars

angelsgp-seethisreview-blure
Profile Image for Blodeuedd Finland.
3,372 reviews290 followers
June 17, 2017
It does work as a stand alone, but we meet players again that were on earlier books. Katherine who was saved by Marcus in book 2. Now she lives with his family and has also trained in secret dressed as a boy with the guards.

Katherine learned that she needed to be able to fend for herself and so she did. She is strong and capable. But her wild side does leave her in trouble.

The Gordons are still spoiling for trouble. Asshats as they are. From book 1 already. Grrrr. But...I can't say a lot but there is hope even for them. And she will see herself in trouble with them.

Rolf we met briefly in book 2, he was young and now is older but is still the same. And he fancies her the moment they meet. And so does she. Oh they do not stand a chance.

Brenda Grant is even mentioned, ok for newbies that will just be a brief sidestory but I was happy to see her again and that is well. And there is a mention of a new character, I am hoping to see his story, oh and Brenda's brothers story! I totally need him to find love. Yikes, after 3 books I am invested in all these characters. I want heas all around, and to see the Earl of Morton suffer. Grrrrr.

There is passion and romance. Danger and plots. Highlanders up for a fight and new friendships being made. I enjoyed it all.

Narration:
This is my third book with this narrator. I am used to him now and would not want anyone else. I enjoyed his voice from the start. He does male and female voices well- I like his accent even if I did not really hear Catherine's.

He has a voice that keeps my attention on the story
Profile Image for Amy ~ Love At 1st Read.
501 reviews27 followers
March 30, 2017
Cross dressing heroines. Chicks in pants. Whatever you want to call it, it’s an old familiar plot trope but one that I love because it makes for such an adventurous story. And what an adventure it is in Mary Wine’s Highland Hellion. There’s just something about a strong highland man with the right woman. Together, they’re unstoppable.

Katherine Carew was the illegitimate daughter of an English earl. Abducted to Scotland at age 14 by the Earl of Morton, regent to the Scottish King, the earl had plans to marry her off. Marcus MacPherson, a war chief, rescued her. She’d been disguised and trained as a boy under Marcus to protect her from her English heritage being discovered. Marcus had been more of a brother to her than anyone she’d ever known. He’d made certain she grew strong and skilled in fighting. Katherine had gladly discarded the often tedious ceremonies of England as she’d settled into the highlands. Now that she was 20, life in England was just a memory. She was free and, as a boy, allowed to run wild. To enjoy the freedoms that women weren’t allowed to enjoy. She took pride in her riding, fighting and archery skills.
When her true gender was discovered, Katherine’s whole world changed. Now she felt like a stranger in her own clan. The men she’d thought of as her friends, now turned traitor, calling her English. She didn’t know the women. She lacked the skills of other women her age. Where she’d been able to hold her own with the men, she knew little about being a woman. She longed for the times when she could escape the drudgery of woman’s work and ride her horse through the countryside. Those moments were her only time to restore her spirit.
On one such escape, she ran into Rolfe McTavish and his men who were on MacPherson land to do some innocent cattle stealing. They were surprised when the woman they captured took a flying leap onto her horse and rode off like a man. Rolfe was intrigued by this unique woman and knew he had to have her. Later, on another escape from woman’s work, Katherine came across another clan on her land. The violent, vengeful clan of the Gordons. Realizing that the men were about to attack Rolfe and his men, Katherine made herself a target to distract them. Unfortunately, this time her escape attempt failed and though she fought bravely, she was captured and taken to Gordon Castle. When it was discovered that the captive boy was a woman, the laird declared her a witch and ordered that she be burned at the stake. When Rolfe discovered that Katherine had been captured, he had no choice but to save her. He owed her. She had protected him and his men from attack by the Gordons. So Rolfe and his men entered the castle grounds and managed to rescue Katherine in the nick of time. But rather than return Katherine to her clan, Rolfe decided to take her home and ransom her to the MacPhersons. She needed to be taught a lesson about running wild through the countryside with no thought for the consequences. Unfortunately, Rolfe’s father, Laird McTavish had other plans. He intended to give her back to the king’s regent in exchange for the regent ennobling his line.
As Katherine traveled to court with Rolfe and his men, she learned much about him. Not only was he very attractive, he had honor. She knew he didn’t want to follow his father’s orders but he would obey the laird. Rolfe, though aggravated with Katherine, was mesmerized too. They couldn’t fight the attraction, and once they kissed, they didn’t want to fight it. Katherine had never realized her body could feel so much delight. She enjoyed Rolfe’s kisses, craved his touch, and wanted more. She felt practically wanton with him. Rolfe tried to hold back but the more he was near Katherine, the harder that became. Their feelings for each other strengthened with every moment they were together. Could Rolfe give Katherine up and deliver her to an uncertain future?
What a fabulous story by new-to-me-author Mary Wine. I was captivated from the start by Ms. Wine’s writing style. With just the stroke of her pen, she manages to masterfully portray both the beauty and the ugliness of the time period. Her multi- faceted characters are hard, tough, proud, fearless, and loyal. I loved Katherine. Living in a world where her blood was hated, her courage was her soul possession. Her evolution from boy to woman was a delight to read, and I loved that the outcome was the best of both genders. She could be a woman but still embrace those “manly” things that made her unique. I also loved that Rolfe realized her hellion ways were what he loved most about her. The secondary characters of neighboring clans were every bit as captivating as the main characters. I enjoyed seeing the opposing clans working together for a common goal. I’m anxious to see what’s in store for them as well. Though #3 in her Highland Weddings series, I had no trouble reading this story as a stand- alone. It won’t be a stand-alone for long though as I intend to read the others in the series as soon as possible. Let’s face it, who can resist the adventure and romance of these Highland hunks? A Book Obsessed Chicks Review Team Selection.
Profile Image for Erica Chilson.
Author 34 books428 followers
June 12, 2017
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 Kilt-clad Stars

Mary Wine is a new-to-me author, and Highland Hellion is the third installment of the Highland Weddings, which I had no issue reading as a standalone. Wine's writing style was fast-paced, easy to read, and quickly drew the reader into the story. Real emotions were felt by both the reader and the fully developed characters.

Katherine was a unique heroine, and her predicament was just as unique. Judging by the fact that this is the third book in the series, Katherine's backstory is more likely prevalent throughout previous books. She's strong, bullheaded and determined, but flawed enough to create a realistic character who will admit when they are wrong and grow from their errors. Katherine was a good role model, a heroine that was easy to root for.

Rolfe was a gruff highlander- the son of the laird. Strong-willed, Rolfe also knew when to give in and not only listen to advice, but take it.

Katherine and Rolfe were complementary in disposition, playing off each other's strengths and weaknesses. But the real moral of the story was the lack of autonomy for everyone, especially women. Katherine hellion-ness was due in part that she refused to be a prop in other's lives, a possession without a voice, and to just go with the flow and submit. This was achieved through action/reaction, not endless inner monologuing while behaving in a vapid childish way- it felt real instead of manufactured.

A very thick thread of equal rights was woven into the story, in a way that made it beyond accurate of the times, for all readers to see how far we've come and how far we've yet to go further. Not just the women, but all people were born with an agenda fulfilled by those in power over them. There were scenes where it was harrowing to read, and I give mad props to Mary Wine for hitting all the notes. Our autonomy and freedom shouldn't be taken for granted- added to that, we should never press our will upon others.

Highland Hellion featured a strong heroine who does what she felt was right, whether selfless or selfish at the time, and an alpha male who did know to bend a bit, creating equals who were compassionate, empathetic, and strong enough to help solidify the highland clans.

I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy highland romances, and I look forward to checking out the author's backlist and more so of what's to come.

Profile Image for Ren.
346 reviews5 followers
September 2, 2018
The third installment of Mary Wine’s Highland Wedding Series was a huge disappointment. The first one I enjoyed, the second one I had some serious objections, and this third one was a waste of my time.

This one features Katherine, the English girl rescued by Marcus in the second book. 6 years have lapsed and you discover that Marcus has allowed Katherine to be trained all this time as if she’s a lad so that she can protect herself from the inevitable sexual assault and kidnapping that is sure to be a part of her life. Makes sense. Makes sense because highland Scottish Women has a reputation for being trained and fierce. In fact, there is long legacy of female warriors. Makes sense because all women should be trained since we receive 100% of male initiated violence.

So why does this narrative begin with the men being in shock that she can handle a horse and dagger? Why does that shock immediately accompany accusations of witchcraft? IT WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN STRANGE!

But for all this set up on her training, Katherine didn’t escape from being kidnapped several times and hardly did anything to get out of her circumstances. When she hatches a plan to “save” her husband it was barely strategic, but really just a plot device to move the story along because obviously they couldn’t have the husband beheaded.

Then! After saving him, he tells her he will beat her to teach her not to put herself in danger to protect him. Because of course he must “teach” her. She decides she doesn’t want that kind of marriage and to return to her one clan, but of course is dissuaded by sex. Which I skipped reading because I was so disgusted with the dynamic at that point.

Not once did I feel like the male became more tender and complex throughout the narrative or that they got to know each other throughout the story. In fact 99% or the story is orders being barked at Katherine and not a single character asking her a question or considering that she had motives for what she did. Or even considering that she had her OWN honor to maintain and is entitled to make her OWN FULLY INFORMED choices. Why is he allowed to make reckless choices to protect her and she isn’t allowed to make reckless choices to save him? And why is he forgiven all when his plan only landed him chains with NO plan to escape, while her plan worked flawlessly and secured all their freedom. But no! He gets to “punish her” for not letting the men do the thinking.

The whole thing is nauseating.

For all of Mary Wine’s feminist discussion of marriage rights and person-property, she missed the mark on this one and clearly needs to figure out what a feminist protagonist should look like.

Bleh.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
March 13, 2017
Rolfe sure is sweet on his woman, “it’s an answer, sure enough,” he offered in a soft tone edged with promise. “I want to take ye to bed, and by Christ, I will wed ye first. For I will no’act like a brute who sees ye as a prize." Kat may be great at fighting but the girl could use some help with running a household amd cooking:
Rolfe snorted against her ear. “Aye. Do I want to know why his hounds are vomiting in front of the hearth?”
“I am improving,” she offered. “Last month they wouldn’t eat it at all. The maid had to scoop it up.”
“I see.” Her husband was choking on his amusement.
I really liked this book, Rolfe and Kat mad a good couple.
Profile Image for Севдалина.
659 reviews49 followers
February 20, 2021
Катрин Крю и Ролф МакТавиш

Отвлечена от дома си на 14 години, Катрин се е простила с детските си години по жесток начин. Макар баща й да е влиятелен благородник, тя е незаконно родена и по тази причина мащехата й иска да се отърве от нея. Така Катрин се оказва в Шотландския кралски двор, където кралският наместник Мортън смята да я използва омъжвайки я Маркъс МакФерсън. За щастие Маркъс, заедно с Бренда Грант и Хелън Грант успяват да я спасят и тя заживява в клана МакФерсън, като сестра на Маркъс. Решена никога повече да не бъде жертва тя се преоблича като момче и отива да тренира наравно с младежите от клана. Маркъс естествено знае, че това е тя и все пак й позволява да се научи да се отбранява, знаейки, че като англичанка в планините на Шотландия все някога ще й се наложи да се отбранява. Така Катрин расте тренирайки наравно с мъжете, които нямат представа, че е жена. Тя пренебрегва опитите на Хелън да я научи как да бъде дама и проклина факта, че не е родена мъж, особено след като ядосан, задето е решила да участва в кражба на добитък, Маркъс я разобличава пред останалите мъже и й забранява повече да се преоблича като мъж.

В гнева и разочарованието си, Катрин два пъти напуска дома под булото на нощта. Първият път се сблъсква с Ролф МакТавиш, но успява да се измъкне невредима. Когато обаче вторият път, открива, че в земите на МакФерсън се разкарват не само Ролф и 4ма от мъжете му, но и поне 20 мъже от клана Гордън, тя успява да предупреди Ролф оказвайки се в плен на мъжете от клана Гордън.

Ролф е силно запленен от малката нахалница обличаща се като мъж. Когато обаче тя рискува живота си, за да ги предупреди, че са в опасност и бива заловена от клана Гордън, Ролф знае, че трябва да действа бързо. Откакто Беик МакФерсън убива наследника на леърда на клана Гордън, Кълъм Гордън иска да си отмъсти на МакФерсън. И обявявайки Катрин за вещица и изгаряйки я на клада изглежда най-доброто решени. Ролф е готов на всичко да спаси Катрин и смята да я отведе в дома си, за да й даде малък урок по смиреност, докато чакат откупът, който ще поиска от МакФерсън, без да подозира, че отвеждайки я у дома баща му ще измисли поредният си подмолен план за да извлече полза за себе си.

Ох, на моменти, особено в началото Катрин беше ужасно дразнеща. За това как проклинаше съдбата, че е жена, как се държеше като магаре на мост, как отказваше да учи каквито и да е женски задължения. Частта в която казваше, че не може да понесе да усеща брашно по пръстите си беше доста пресилена и ме накара да въртя отвратено очи. Заради ината си героинята ни беше бита, ритана, бутана, вързвана, унижавана, оставяна на глад и студ и едва не бе изгорена на клада като вещица. Но това не й попречи да се държи като разглезена лигла, която просто не може да приеме, че не е мъж. Както и в предишната книга и тук бащата на Ролф беше пълна отврат.

В тази книга, която се развива 6 години по-късно станахме свидетели на някои неща. Като например срещата ни с Дайъкъл Гордън, който е племенник на Кълъм Гордън. Майка му го е отвела далеч от покварата в клана, но след смъртта на наследника Дайъкъл се връща, за да е до чичо си и да наследи клана след смъртта му, което и видяхме в тази книга. Той ми се стори доста интересен герой. Имайки предвид, че всички мразят клана Гордън ще му е доста трудно да се справи. Освен това, крепостта ни беше описана като пълна разруха, войниците мързеливи пияници, хората кавгаджий и гадняри. Тъй че следващата книга е за него и ще ми е много интересна.

Научихме, че Саймън Грант се е оженил и е изгубил съпругата си по време на раждане заедно с детето. Тук Саймън беше в дълбок траур, Бренда пък се беше самоизолирала и двамата се носеха като привидения из крепостта на Грант, където няма светлина, смях или надежда. 5та и 6тта книга са за тях, нямам търпение.

И на края. Мортън. Регента и гадното чудовище, което след миналата книга всички мразим. Не разбрах какво се случи.
Profile Image for Vampire-lk.
295 reviews22 followers
January 14, 2020
3.5-4 stars! I’m not loving the rushed ending! Yes, they have a HEA which is a must in any good novel especially fun romance novels 😂😍

I can’t put my finger on it to explain right now, but left unsure what to make of this novel! I loved the two main characters I really did their sass & strong independent will as well as our heroes honourable traits! Yes, she was a bit naive going out alone especially at night! It is understandable though that she wanted to rebel & showcases she is just as great as any male. Granted yes was a silly thing to do, but towards the end the whole thing with the Earl of Morton maybe because it is a series that’s why they left it as he went quietly into the distance even though he was regent “ruler” of Scotland while the boy king James grew up to take over!

I do not mind crass language when it is called for or even just part of the sizzling storyline, but this novel started off so sweet & so rich in historical context that I was amazed as well as giving props to the author for her well researched on the era, but towards end it seemed to turn different! As said before can’t place why I feel only so so about this, but like the tone changed I felt it shifted maybe because it felt rushed to get all the i’s & t’as crossed, but yeah lol that’s my very technical explanation of what I thought of this novel!

Would I read more in this series...maybe down the line, but I have so many other books on my TBR that this series will definitely be on the back burner for now!
Profile Image for Kristin .
1,144 reviews168 followers
May 25, 2017
I love a good Highland romance. Especially when the female isn't some wilting idiot. With a title like Highland Hellion and a girl wielding a sword on the cover, I knew I was in for a lot of fun with this story. Kat was simply out of control. She was kidnapped as a young teen, taken to Scotland, traded off to be married, found herself instead being adopted by her would-have-been husband, and trained in the ways of fighting. Actually, she disguised herself as a boy and would train with the other boys. So, to say that Kat was a handful is an understatement. She's not just some headstrong female, she doesn't see herself as a female at all. She finds her sex to be a handicap and enjoys the freedom that the guys get. Yeah, Kat gets into a lot of trouble in this book.

I thought Rolfe and Kat were great together. They were both headstrong characters who wouldn't go down without a fight. Sure, sometimes they were their own worst enemy and would dig themselves in holes, but that made the story interesting. I liked that the author didn't write their romance as a back and forth sort of thing. Instead, these two pretty much realize their attraction from the start and it builds from there.

There's a few suspenseful moments that left me wondering if they were going to make it out unscathed and what would ultimately become of these two characters. In the end it was an enjoyable read.
Profile Image for Stephanie (Jump).
174 reviews23 followers
June 26, 2017
Dnf. I give an extra star for benefit of the doubt becase I lost patience with this one very quickly. I love strong heroines who can kick ass. But this Hellion Katherine is one of those Too Stupid To Live heroine.

After a lecture from her laird about the dangers of non friendly menfolk outside their keep, she goes off on her own one day on her horse, with no companion, not telling anyome she left or where she is going, and gets captured. She manages to escape by surprising her captors (men who were just looking to ransom her back) by jumping off a stone on to her horse. She goes home and all she feels is proud of herself. She goes back out almost next day or something similar, and tries to save some men (against another group of men) and gets captured again. Can you understand where I am going? She's outnumbered, a female, attemping to warn a group of men she didn't know and who could probably have had a better chance to handle things.

Then it ends with the contrived "he tries to change who I am" romantic trope between this heroine and her hero.

If you want a similar story with a hwroine who deserves to live, try Maya Bank's highland series.
Profile Image for Diana's.
1,039 reviews119 followers
May 30, 2017
I absolutely loved Katherine and Rolfe.. Katherine was the PERFECT heroine, sassy, strong and loyal.. At first I thought she was going to be headstrong and naïve but the gal learns quick and realized her mistakes right off the bat and owned them.. Rolfe was doing the right thing but somehow it all backfired on him.. His honor and loyalty could have cost him everything including his life.. This was by far my favorite of the series.. action packed, sexy and wonderful plot with 2 amazing main characters.. Ms. Wine also set up the next storyline perfectly! I for one cannot wait..
Profile Image for Jennifer Becker.
Author 12 books68 followers
June 15, 2017
Decent read

I felt it was slow moving a Katharine was a little to much a hellion for me. I like a strong heroine but she was annoying at times.
436 reviews
August 2, 2017
Katherine and Rolfe are two of the proudest people that happen to run into each other. Katherine has heard most of her life that she is a bastard and English. Rolfe couldn't believe how well she fights and a passionate hellions with a penchant for reckless adventure to boot. They much to learn about each other.
Profile Image for Snowie.
207 reviews1 follower
September 5, 2020
The book started off okay but then the male lead (Rolfe) did and said some things in the end that were just not forgivable and the author does not address the conflict well at all. In fact, it was handled so irresponsibly that it just made me wonder why did the author even have to put it in there? I just could not even stomach Rolfe after all that, I was disgusted by him and this book. The first two books in the series weren't the greatest but still interesting enough that I wanted to continue, but Rolfe and Katharine's story was poorly written and problematic.
Profile Image for Melanie.
922 reviews29 followers
May 25, 2017
This is book three in Highland Weddings series and right now my favorite. The reason for it is its heroine and her backstory. As the story opens, I really thought I may not like her, but as I learned more about her, I liked her more and more. I admired her strength and pluck. I thought she held up her own against men or women and her relationship with the hero was so much fun to follow.

This was a well plotted and fun story which moved fast and furious. Characters in it were complex, fun and witty and the setting magical as the author paints us time long passed with such details that sets ones imagination into overdrive.

If you’re a fan of medieval, men in kilts and tropes in which heroines live up to the name of "hellion", you'll love this one.

Melanie for b2b

Gift copy provided by the publisher for an honest review
Profile Image for Barbee.
550 reviews17 followers

3.Purple Tulip Book Reviews

Heat Rating: Hot

Overall Rating: 5 Kilts

Scotland,1578

In this novel it is about the heroine Katherine Carew and honorable hero Rolfe MacTavish. He is the heir to a Highland Laird who hates the English. They meet hilariously too on a cattle stealing mission per say! Katherine is illegitimate and English born, but loves manly pursuits. For example: like wielding a sword, archery, riding horses, wearing kilts and her tomboyish hellion ways.With no family, reputation,and dressing in the disguise of a lad = total freedom in Katherine’s world. Plus Katherine was kidnapped at the tender age of Fourteen. As she was offered to Marcus in Book 2 as a wife, who is the Macpherson War Chief. Instead he saw the danger this child was in, so he secretly brought her to Scotland. As her English step-mother was jealous of her, plus she was kidnapped for her dowry since her father was a wealthy English Earl. She was saved from this situation and raised by a kind,caring,and good hearted Scottish family. The man who was supposed to be her husband is more of a big brothet Now she has become a total hellion. Will Rolfe MacTavish try to change her independent and tomboyish ways?

Ha! Rolfe does not know what he is in for! As Kate may not have been born in Scotland but she is a Scottish lass in every way that counts! One spunky lass and will never surrender her independent ways. The MacPherson War Chief, Marcus taught her to fight just like his men. So she enjoys freedom and manly pursuits,l more than the pursuits of Highland women.Running a home or needle point is not her thing at this time.

Even though she does some amazing deeds there are some that will never approve of her English blood. Mainly Rolfe’s father even after she had been abducted once again, to save Rolfe from harm. His father wants no English under his roof! Plus there are dangerous enemy clans like the Gordon’s who are always sneaky and treacherous and always up to no good with their evil deeds! Laird Column Gordon wants revenge and MacPherson blood for the death his son R Lye Rob! Yet Bhaic MacPherson killed him for good reason- wife stealin how can Rolfe save Kate and Kate stay together with so much danger in Scotland especially for an English Lass. Beside many oppose to a union between these two Mainly his father. Will this star crossed together deny their true happiness or ignore everyone else and find true love?

Highland Weddings:
Highland Spitfire (Book 1)
Highland Vixen (Book 2)
Highland Hellion (Book 3)
Highland Flame (Book 4) *** TBR 9/5/2017

This is the third book on the Highland Weddings series which I have read each in consecutive order. I think it is more fun as I enjoy connecting the character dots. For example the heroine of this book was first introduced in “Highland Vixen”, Book two. Of course readers can read this book as a stand alone book too.

I have been reading Mary Wine books for many years and she never disappoints me. She is gifted in her unique storytelling signature style. Another novel with a breathtaking Alba setting, and spectacular dialogue with fabulous character development. In additionquick paced action packed plots within plots! This always makes you wonder what could possibly happen next? Plus it has all the elements Scottish historical romance readers love! I highly recommend this book plus the entire Highland Wedding Series! It is an exhilarating read from start to finish!

I can't wait for “Highland Flame” book #4, the story of Diocail Gordon and widow Jane Staffordshire.

I received an advance reader copy from the publisher. I voluntarily agreed to do a fair review and blog through netgalley. All thoughts, ideas and words are my own.

Profile Image for Carole Rae.
1,241 reviews41 followers
July 20, 2022
Yayy book 3!!

Here we follow Katherine and Rolfe. It has been a few years since the last book ended. Katherine is the illegitimate daughter of an English earl. She was technically abducted by Marcus and taken to Scotland when she was 14, but in reality, Marcus saved her and gave her freedom. Rolfe is the heir to an honorable Highland laird. Scotland is seething with plots, the Gordons are spoiling for a fight, and the neighboring clans are at each other's throats. Perhaps a reckless adventure from Katherine the Hellion can save her clan and the others.

This does work as a standalone, but I would suggest at least reading book 2. There is some backstory I think would be helpful in understanding Marcus and Katherine. Oh! And you will only truly appreciate and love Brenda Grant if you read at least book 2. That poor thing deserves the world!!

Katherine was allowed to learn how to fight because Marcus was worried about her being English and people may want to hurt her or even use her as a pawn. However, he may have given her too much freedom because she does get herself in some trouble. Yes, she was doing the right thing but thank goodness Rolfe feels indebted to her and saves her butt.

Rolfe is a good egg. Not sure how that happened because his father is an asshat and selfish and mean. Loved Rolfe. He is the perfect match for Katherine and she to him. They are perfect for each other but it does take a minute for them to see it and not just think it is lust.

I was so nervous for our folks. I like them all and want them happy. There are some new faces so we shall what happens in the book. I want to see Brenda find love. I want her cousin to find love. I also want Rolfe's mentor to find love or some sort of happiness. He is a wise and kind man. He is the only reason why Rolfe isn't like his father.

The last two I did the audio version of. This time I did the ebook (mainly because the audio was not available at my library...only the ebook). It worked well even though I did sort of miss the narrator's voice sometimes. But this did well without someone narrating so you can't go wrong.

Now...I did struggle for a small chunk of the book. The beginning started off so great, but then it seemed to come to a screeching halt for a few chapters. I just wanted things to go but the plot seemed to be stuck in the mud. Once a certain event happened, then we were back off to the races and I couldn't put it down.

I hope we see more of them in the next book. I want to see Katherine and Rolfe stand up more against his father and the others who hate her. There are a lot of loose ends with that household that need tying up.

There is also a huge cliffhanger from some of our characters. Hopefully, we get to see some more resolutions.

In the end, I enjoyed this. I loved watching Rolfe and Katherine find each other. Save each other. And finally, find love. It took a while for them to get past the lust stage and actually trust each other. There was one big lull, but once you get past that you won't be able to put it down. There are some loose ends I hope get tied up in book 4. But yes, this was good and I enjoyed it. I'll give this 3 stars.
Profile Image for Deborah.
949 reviews4 followers
May 28, 2017
Katherine is an illegitimate daughter of an earl.  She was abducted and hauled off to Scotland when she was fourteen ,with the plans to marry her off. Marcus MacPherson rescued her from that fate. But being English in Scotland can be even worse, so he allowed her to train with the men disguised as a young lad. Katherine excelled in her training keeping up and even besting some of the men. She was strong in body and extremely strong-willed in spirit. When she was older and her gender was revealed, she was forced to give up what she loved, and do things more common to what a woman would do within the clan. She was miserable. No one liked her-the women she was forced to learn from, nor the men she trained with and used to call friend. Longing for a carefree existence once again, wishing she could ride her horse and clear her mind, she needed an escape! She took to riding in the wee hours of night. One night, she happens upon Rolfe McTavish and his clansmen stealing cattle on MacPherson land. Happy with her capture, she surprised them all by leaping to her horse and riding away leaving their jaws dropped! Rolfe was excited that this woman had that ability, and where did she learn from? He vows to find out more!

On another of Katherine's escapes, she sees another clan on MacPherson land-the Gordons. They were a mean, take no prisoners, kill everybody and everything type of clan. She sees they were ready to capture Rolfe and his clansmen, so she distracts the Gordons putting the target on her. Katherine was captured even though she fought tooth and nail. Set before the Gordon laird, it's discovered she's a girl. He labels her a witch and that she will burn at the stake. Rolfe discovers Katherine was captured and feels it's his duty to save her since she saved him. Noble and honorable, but things don't go as Rolfe expects, and now he and Katherine are embroiled in a clan upheaval that could unite all the clans or make things even worse.

This story was filled with adventure! Katherine is one strong woman!! I liked her and her demeanor! You knew she was going to be a hellion as the book title refers but gosh, she was hell on wheels! And Rolfe, he struggles with his attraction to her. He is likeable guy with values weighed down by his position within the clan. Katherine makes him want to break out of that mold he's in. Their chemistry is immediate. Katherine struggles as well-not really knowing what to do.  She's been among men most of her life and now her feminine side is rising to the forefront. I liked how she took control and wasn't meek one bit! If she liked something, she let him know!!

Overall this is one great historical to read! Plot twists, sexy times, and sheer adventure keep you enthralled from beginning to end!  I especially loved the ending! If you love historicals or even if they are not your usual thing, give this one a try! It's a book worthy of diving into!

5 Stars/3.5 Flames

This book was gifted to me for an honest review. The review and ratings are solely my opinion.
Profile Image for A Klue.
1,497 reviews298 followers
August 14, 2017
A bonny lass somehow passing herself off as a lad always leaves me shaking my head, folks. But sometimes you just have to let it go and pretend that scenario would be possible. Katherine (aka Kat) certainly didn’t disappoint, well, except for the times she didn’t know when to quit while she was ahead. Even then you had to admire this gal’s gumption. She certainly kept everyone on their toes, especially how she stupidly kept sneaking out of the castle and going riding alone at night.

Rolfe was really everything I hoped he would be. He pretty much fell for her at first glance and wanted to protect her from all the hatred that surrounded her just because she had noble English blood in her veins. He was pretty quick to decide he wanted her for himself and also wanted to do right by her by offering marriage first, regardless of the fallout/consequences.

Since I didn’t receive an ARC, I just don’t have the luxury of time to elaborate much farther. Just know I tend to enjoy this author and am quick to read her books every time I get the chance. Though I am still upset what happened to Brenda Grant's character in the previous book.

Romance Safety Gang:

Title: Highland Hellion, Series: Highland Weddings (Book 3), Author: Mary Wine, Pages: 320, favorite author, sassy/feisty dresses & fights like a lad virgin heroine, good guy hero, Scottish brogue, no cheating, no love triangle, treated harshly because of being English.

Book 1 - Highland Spitfire (Ailis & Bhaic), 2/2/15, Pages: 315
Book 2 - Highland Vixen - (Marcus & Helen), 2/7/17, Pages: 384
Book 3 - Highland Hellion - (Katherine & Rolfe), 6/6/17, Pages: 320
Book 4 - HIghland Flame (Jane & Diocail), 9/5/17, Pages: 384

(These comments are based on library edition. This is not a detailed ARC review).

1,190 reviews10 followers
June 14, 2017
Oh how I love historical romance, but through in a
Scottish devil in a kilt and I am in love. This book
was amazingly written. So developed and
thought out. I so cannot wait to read more in the series.

This book is about Rolfe and Katherine. You may
remember Kat from Marcus and Helen's story.
But she is no longer the proper miss anymore.
She is a hellion or so she has been told no longer
aloud to train as a lad she now has to make it in
the world as a lass. And she is none too happy
about it. When she meets Rolfe it was so funny he
thought he’d be able to take her with ease. But
she showed him. But what is the saying out of the
frying pan and into the fire. Well let just say she
so messed up and now it is up to Rolfe to save
her. And also deal with Marcus who is more of
a dad to her. Let’s hope Rolfe can save her
and then himself.

Now before I ruin this for you I will leave off here.
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. If you
do like this book, please consider leaving a
review. The Authors really like it when you do;
they value your opinions too
6 reviews
December 27, 2020
The books in the series before this had disturbing consent issues, but this one is seriously not acceptable!!!! Mary Wine writes a rape scene - but tries to make it seem sexy. Following a classic misogynist trope, she justifies a rape as okay because the woman was physically turned on. Even though Katherine (the heroine) struggles, pushes the man away, and says no, the fact that she is physically turned on is presented as consent because she secretly must desire the sex. If a woman pushes the man away and says no, it doesn’t matter that she is physically turned on, if the man continues and has sex - this is rape! No means no. Mary Wine is following the legal defense still used today by rapists to defend their actions: even though she said no, she clearly wanted it. How many times do I have to say it - no means no. The fact that the author writes spunky heroines makes it even creepier because she is promoting the idea that women don’t know what they want - they need to be “tamed” (ie raped) and shown what they “truly want” by men. Mary Wine is an author who writes rape as sexy. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
Profile Image for Questian.
574 reviews
June 5, 2017
~ARC from NetGalley. ~

This is the 3rd book of the series, From the previous book, Marcus was able to help Kat escape. From there, he permitted her to train as a man would. However, he was not prepared for the day that she become a woman.

This book tells us, Kat's life after 6 years. What i love about this book is the way it was how they met and how they repeated saw each other. It was one capture to another. I felt as though her life was a constant battle on survival and there were times that I wanted to shout at her for the decisions that she made. But the way she was treated at the latter part of the book? That was something i really want to reach out and yank someone and throw them away. It was too cruel.

Rolfe? I love him. Most especially when he was so into Kat. There are times that I hated his decision, some of them were not well thought, However, I do admire him on the grounds that Kat is his price. Yes, he wants to bed her, but he did not let passion over take his duty as a man,. For Kat is a maiden. I think that was one of the best parts of the book.

I gave this 4 stars.
341 reviews4 followers
August 2, 2021
Katherine was born English but was taken from her family to marry a highlander at the age of 14. Luckily for her her groom was older and wiser. he took her home but did not marry her because she was far to young. He married another and raised her as a daughter, allowed her to train as a man to ensure her safety. the Scots did not like the English and she could die at the hands of other less honorable Scotsman. She is a woman now and can no longer ride out as a boy with the men. A bitter pill to swallow. However after trying her hand at cooking and household management, she needs a swift ride to ease her heart so she sneaks out at night. Of course she gets away with it a bit, but it is inevitable she will get caught. Unfortunately it is by a rival clan because she saves any while out stealing cows. Now they want to burn her as a witch for dressing as a boy. By saving Rolfe McTavish and his men, he plans to save her even not knowing who she is. What a way to start a romance.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 92 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.