Start by marking “The Principal's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Principal's Daughter

The Principal's Daughter

The Principal's Daughter gives a view of Vietnam that probably few people have ever thought about or read about. Russ Katz's story telling style is very approachable --- it's very emotional, but not overly so -- he lets the facts and the people tell their story without bias or political overtones. The fact that the story is true makes it even stronger. Katz is able to shar ...more
Published September 12th 2016 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Principal's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Principal's Daughter

Start your review of The Principal's Daughter
Ming Wei
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a gripping and interesting story, the writers story telling skills, gives you an emotional and interesting story. A true pure storyline about the struggles of a Vietnamese family before and during the war, high-lightening the dangers that war enthrusted upon average people/families. The story tells how average people face up to and deal with a violent war time environment whilst at the same time doing their best to live their life in the best way they can. A very interesting book, very inte ...more
Jacqie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Two stars seems a bit harsh, but according to Goodreads that means "it was okay" and that's the feeling I have. This book is essentially a memoir. The author met Kim decades after she escaped from Vietnam- I believe she was a hairdresser or something like that? that he met while going about his daily errands. She told him just a bit about her life and he was captivated, felt he had the idea for his next book. So the b
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My deepest thanks to Russ Katz for bringing this story to life! In “The Principal’s Daughter” we are introduced to Kim, whose father is the principal of the school in the South Vietnamese village they live in near Saigon. Kim grows up during the war and her village becomes the center of the Tet Offensive when she is still a young girl. She endures the deprivations of the war and subsequent Communist regime with the hope of one day emigrating to America.

I found this story to be very moving and e
Fiona
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for my preview in return for an honest review.

I loved this book.

I requested it as I loved the colourful cover and the synopsis interested me. A Vietnamese family caught in Vietnam during and after the American, and the subsequent Communist regime under Ho Chi Ming.

Kim lives with her family in South Vietnam and lives a very happy comfortable life being the daughter of the local principal.

Then the Americans arrive and their lives change. Forever.

Kim
Abchap
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Dog Ear Publishing and Russ Katz for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest opinion

This book tells a story of survival of a Vietnamese family before and during the war.
Knowing that the story is a true story does add to the recanted accounts.
It is moving and traumatic like any war story is. There is pain, hunger, violence and distress but it is also an uplifting story which tells about the resilience of the human spirit.

The book is mostly written through the eyes of Kim Tuyen, t
USOM
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The fact that this novel is based on a true story elevates it from a moving tale to something far more poignant. The Principle’s Daughter looks at a snippet of Kim’s life as a South Vietnamese girl growing up amidst the Vietnam War. Kim’s experience of her homeland and family being torn apart by war is emotional and supported by snippets of other family members’ lives.

Katz paints a picture of a time forgotten and an abandoned land. His writing is both factual, but also emotional and he is able
Chris Passaretti
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!
I just finished reading The Principal’s Daughter by Russ Katz. This is not a book I would have selected on my own from the title. It was recommended to me by a friend who knows that I’m obsessed with the Vietnam War era. I’ve read a few books and seen numerous movies about this subject but this is the first time I heard the story about what happened after the United States pulled out of Vietnam. The story follows Kim Tuyen from when she was a small child living in Vietnam before, duri
Sue Leon
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Principal’s Daughter by Russ Katz
I recently read this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Principal’s Daughter takes you on a journey with Kim Tuyen and her family. It takes place in Vietnam and Author Katz takes the opportunity to tell her story through the eyes of herself and her family members. The different perspectives add to the storytelling.
This is a family of survivors. We learn of the difficulties of life before, during and after the war years. We hear about hunger, violence, as wel
Erica
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It is a true story of a young woman and her family as they undergo the siege of Saigon during the Vietnam war. The main character, Kim, tells her story starting from childhood. As the story unfolds, other members of her family share their story. It is well written and flows nicely between family members.
Fatma
Netgalley Giveaway

I started the book with big hope, loving the introduction to Kim and her family , I loved the simple life and description of Vietnam.It was intense in describing the war and how it effect them.

It reminds me of my experience of a war. The electricity going out, and using gas lanterns. If people knew how hard is wars and how it shape people. The book describes the time of Saigon was surrounded and how the family trying to survive in these hectic times.

I was sometimes confuse with
Allison
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Principal's Daughter was an especially poignant book for me, and this is a pretty personal review. I received it from NetGalley in return for an honest review, and I have to say I am so happy to have read it. My reading goal this year is to read around the world, one letter per country, and I was glad to have picked this up for my Vietnam goal. Growing up just outside of D.C, this book hits home for me in a number of ways. I think one of Northern Virginia's finest qualities is the diversity ...more
Matt Murry