Start by marking “A Bit of Sugar” as Want to Read:

A Bit of Sugar

A Bit of Sugar is a preteen novel, set in the early 70s, with strong family values.

Laura Maynor is a fourth grader obsessed with getting her own pony. Her father thinks it's a great idea, but her mother, Rose, objects. Rose has never gotten over the loss of her own pony, Trigger, in a tragic accident years earlier. She wants to shield her daughter from such pain.

Rose's fat
Published September 23rd 2016 by Dog Ear Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Bit of Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bit of Sugar

Start your review of A Bit of Sugar
Clare O'Beara
This is a sweet story about a young girl who wants a pony of her own, and a family of good people who want her to be happy. The read flows easily and introduces various characters and issues.

I am sure the tale will be enjoyed by pre-teen readers. I do have a couple of points which are general advice though, and it seemed that the author was stating the advice herself but the family wasn't taking it. First, the girl heroine wants a pony and keeps saying so and is then able to convince her parent
Karen Whittard
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Dog ear publishing and Deborah Wilson for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

The author Deborah loves horse and it is very evident in this book as the descriptions about the horses ect were really lovely. I felt like I was wanting a horse too and was out riding with Laura.

I loved the fact that Hip Hop is actually a real live horse. One owned by the author. I love the fact that the story of how Deborah and her partner met and the families love of hors
Michelle Kidwell

by Deborah Wilson

Dog Ear Publishing

Middle Grade, General Fiction (Adult)

Pub Date 23 Sep 2016

I am voluntarily reviewing Hip Hop Tails: A Bit of Sugar through the publisher and Netgalley:

Laura Maynor is in the fourth grade, she goes to Winslow Elementary School and her teacher is Mrs. Tucker.  Her class is reading Little House in the Big Woods, but Laura is lost in herb own story.  In her story Laura is riding the most beautiful story.

Laura wants a pony more than anything, but her M
Carolyn Injoy
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Bit of Sugar by Deborah A. Wilson A Bit of Sugar, Hip Hop Tails by Deborah A. Wilson is a delightful preteen story set in the 1970's. It shows strong family values and is a heart-warming book about a young girl obsessed with getting a pony. I enjoyed the interaction with parents and grandparents about making this happen. I gave it five stars.

I received a complimentary Kindle copy from Dog Ear Publishing and NetGalley. That did not change my opinion for this review.

Link to purchase: https://w