Start by marking “The Disasters” as Want to Read:
The Disasters

The Disasters

Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making poor life choices. So it’s not exactly a surprise when he’s kicked out of the elite Ellis Station Academy in less than twenty-four hours.

But Nax’s one-way trip back to Earth is cut short when a terrorist group attacks the Academy. Nax and three other washouts escape—barely—but they’re also the sole witnesses to the biggest cri
Published December 18th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Disasters, please sign up.
M.K. England It's a standalone!

......... for now.

It's a standalone!

......... for now.

In all seriousness, it was bought by HarperTeen as a standalone, but I have an entire sequel/companion novel outlined that I would LOVE to write one day. If you want more of Nax and the crew, let HarperTeen know!(less)
M.K. England It's Blue Boat Home, #1064 (iirc) of the Unitarian Universalist hymnal. I chose it because it's the one every UU will recognize by a vague reference,…moreIt's Blue Boat Home, #1064 (iirc) of the Unitarian Universalist hymnal. I chose it because it's the one every UU will recognize by a vague reference, and because they're literally standing on the moon with the "blue boat" (Earth) below them. I find it very peaceful!(less)

Kai
Apr 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
I just...really like this cover.
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[1.5/5 stars] I feel a little mislead by this book.

“Space is hard. Grab a helmet.” <-I don’t know about you, but to me this tagline suggests the Disasters is going to contain a lot of off-planet action scenes. This was very much not the case…

In fact, other than the first chapter, at least 80% of the book takes place on an urban colony practically indistinguishable from a city on earth. There was a lot of running from the authorities and grand schemings for a massive organization takedown, but
M.K. England
Oct 14, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
12/19/18:
✰✰✰THE DISASTERS is out in the world!✰✰✰

Thank you so much to everyone who's supported this book. Seeing your reactions has absolutely filled my heart and made my week. So much love to you all. ♥♥♥

I would DEEPLY APPRECIATE it so much if you all could move your goodreads reviews over to Amazon! Once we hit 50 reviews, the book is much more discoverable to new readers on amazon, and if we could hit it by Christmas, that would be AMAZING. Have a fantastic end to your 2018 and a happy new ye
Elise (TheBookishActress)
The Breakfast Club meets Firefly... ah yes I'm here for human disasters in spaaaaaaace
Malanie
I have such a weird relationship with this book. Because I enjoyed its charm???? It was BUBBLY. Like little kid Mr. Bubble. I tasted a bubble once and it was not my most promising day.

But sadly the charm wasn’t enough to sustain my needy self.

I enjoyed the story but at the same time I was ready for it to end. Constantly. It was like having a date with Captain Kirk!!!!!!!!!!? There was so much adventuring and not nearly enough substance, which I feel like would be a Captain Kirk Date. I wanted
Hayley
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has all the fun things in it: quirky characters, diversity that doesn’t make a big deal out of diversity, great witty banter, adventure galore, great world building, and it feels like Firefly meets Guardians of the Galaxy. Really hard to put down.

The main character, Nax, has an incredibly original voice, and is extremely relatable. When he and the other rejects of the Space Academy are in a transport back to Earth, they witness a huge crime and are chased by the perpetrators who try t
Emmy Neal
Loved loved loved the worldbuilding, the humor, and the way this cast of characters came together for Justice (and money) to save the day. England cleverly negotiated a number of space opera questions (such as: would people who leave Earth for another planet ever be allowed to return, or would we quarantine them off world for fear of contamination?) that I've always wondered about in the Star Trek universe. It was just fast, pure fun from start to finish, and if you like your science fiction wit ...more
Alison
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun! Action-packed, with great characters and an engaging plot. Loved it!
Mary
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE GOOD:

* SPACE ADVENTURES!!!
* a lovable band of misfits, thrown together by circumstance, but they’re the best the universe has so like… yolo?
* the diversity was… my gosh… so SO ON POINT - the cast is made primarily of POC characters, the main character is bi (his love interest is gay), honestly, it was a joy
* there’s a heist and I love heists with every fiber of my soul
* fun, engaging writing - easy to read and genuinely funny at times
* it’s fast paced, there’s lots of action and it kept me i
Mike
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a super fun read. Readers get a great look at the anxiety and fear of a young pilot coming into their own. They're surrounded by others in similar states, but with vastly different externalizations of similar fears and needs fears.

Plus romance... and some cursing.

There are tons of easter eggs to be found in the richly written worlds (yeah, that's plural). If you're anything like me, there will be plenty of points where you smile and nod at the book saying, "I know that one!" The tipping
Sarah Nicolas
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read an early version of this book but it is just so much fun! Definitely check it out when it comes out!!
Jamie Pacton
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Space opera! Explosions! Teens racing to save the day! This book is action, action, action. With danger and flirting to boot. I'm a die hard Battlestar Galactica fan and The Disasters was just what I needed.
Hollis
These people have their shit surprisingly together when faced with imminent doom. How the hell did they end up as washouts?

THE DISASTERS was far from a disaster. Good, got it out of my system, and now we can all move on from that joke.

"Anyone have any better ideas? Useful diversion tactics?"
"I've been told I'm a hell of a dancer. You find me a table, I'll create a diversion you won't forget."

England's YA sci-fi adventure debut speeds forth at the speed of light. This book moves quick, y'all. But
ruby
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Disasters is a fast-paced space adventure that manages to be fresh and fun. M. K. England's debut shows a knack for rollicking hijinks while still making time for character development.
The book also manages to be effortlessly inclusive. This is a future where everyone is welcome, and yet everyone still struggles to find their way. I'm hoping for a sequel soon with more adventures for our lovable team.
Dahlia
This was really fun! And I say that as someone who's not usually into sci-fi. I'm actually really curious how the Muslim rep is to someone who knows, because it's a surprisingly big aspect of the book. But yeah, basically, I love Quirky Squads on Missions books and this is one of those and I found it delightful. On-page bi MC, too.
✩ Ashley ✩
3.5 Stars

Quick and fun planet-to-planet romp! The character reps are diverse and part of the lgbt community. (I was thrilled for a bi love triangle... love bi-angle??! Hehehe) They’re not exactly “rejects” though, moreso prodigies with attitude who know how to get swiftly kicked out of the only academy in the universe. 😂 I was entertained by The Disasters but I wasn’t impressed. I had to throw my believability radar out the window, but I didn’t mind. I was looking for a light adventure and
Clara
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: SFF fans, YA fans, nerds of all stripes
I read an early version of this book and it is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC. YA space opera about a bunch of f*ckups who try to run away from their problems, fail, and end up having a brilliant, life-changing adventure. It's a clever, delightful space-age coming-of-age story, and you will have so much fun reading it!!

UPDATE: I'm rereading this now to prep for an interview with the author and what's so striking to me this time around is how it's fun, fast-paced, super-queer YA but it's still *smart* - Eng
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I had SO MUCH FUN listening to this!!

I'm not going to be able to write a real review because I wouldn't even begin to know how to write names of people and places but this book was just a delight from start to finish. I can also highly recommend listening to it (especially if you're someone who normally tends to not be able to focus on too much action, like me) because the narrator was awesome and he really made Nax's character come alive.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
So this was not holding my attention in the slightest.

I was expecting a hilarious romp through space with a band of misfits, and that is what I got - but I didn't enjoy it. All the events in the story were happeing and I could not bring myself to care about the characters, the danger, or the high stakes. Nothing effected me and that was such a disappointing feeling. While this was a let down for me, I'm sure many others will love it so it's still worth a shot.

I received a copy of the book from
Giulia
"To everyone who’s ever felt like a disaster.
Here, have a spaceship!
Now fly."

TW: panic attacks, anxiety

Unpopular Opinion Time 🐸☕

I mean. This book is coming at me, really. I feel personally attacked.
This book was tailored specifically for me: outcasts + heist + space + found-family trope??? Wow, rude much? That’s basically what my dreams are made of.
And moreover it is also diverse and queer?
Did I sell my soul and dint’t even realise it?
Im pretty sure I ghost-wrote this book and that I’m writi
Melinda Beatty
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A super fun, fast moving space adventure following four academy washouts caught up in a galactic conspiracy!
Ivy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coming-soon-18

A fantastic space roller coaster packed with original characters and a realistic future. Guardians of the Galaxy meets Six of Crows in a fun sci-fi adventure perfect for any fan of the genre. The whole cast was relatable, each character arc eventually resolved and all relationships growing stronger over the course of the novel. The Disasters is anything but a disaster.

Full review to come.

Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/hy6neof...

(Disclaimer: The Disasters are many things. They are not
Iris

I read this book almost a month ago, and my immediate reaction was "Ahgdfdhgjhfdsfghfdfs I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! NEW FAVOURITE!! I LOVE! LET ME FLAIL! I WILL BE OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK FOREVER!! AHGGFGFHGJGHFG."

Meanwhile, the reasonable part of me that knows I react that way to about half the books I read, and then two weeks later have forgotten they exist was just like "No Iris. You are being silly. This book was good sure, but I don't think anything about it really stood out enoug
Eli
Dec 20, 2018 marked it as to-read
I MEAN LOOK AT THAT COVER
Leigh Mar
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lucky enough to have already gotten my hands on this one early! The Disasters is fast and exciting and fun and Nax's voice will pull you in from page 1. It's The Breakfast Club x Firefly with fantastic characters, found families and spaaaaaace!
Mike Lasagna
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Disasters is an adrenaline fuel rocket ride to the stars 🌟. A full throttled joyride with a diverse, unique cast of characters. Space may be hard, but it’s also fun. But, definitely wear a helmet.
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Apr 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Space opera with a heist, I’m in.

———————————————————————————

Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for an ARC of this book

Crystal
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
I should have loved this. Special emphasis on the words "should have." The set up was awesome. Science fiction! Space! Diversity! (Different races, sexualties, and anxiety issues were all represented!) And yet...it was surprisingly boring. The characters were kind of blah. Their situation was kind of blah. It just wasn't all that enjoyable of a read.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

This is going to be a bit of a hard book to review, because it was, in essence, very middling for me. I liked it well enough, I don't have much in the way of negatives, even. It just didn't blow me away, and sometimes that happens. It was entertaining enough, though maybe I won't necessarily find it to be memorable down the road. So I will try to break it down as best I can, yes?

The Stu
Austine (NovelKnight)
I'm so torn on how to talk about The Disasters because there are some things that I absolutely LOVED about it but then the rest of it was just an average read for me.

So let's talk about the good stuff first.

As a whole, The Disasters is an entertaining story perfect for sci-fi fans who aren't looking to get bogged down into the actual science/tech of the world. At its heart, it's about a group of teens who failed out of the Academy and are now the only ones who can save the colonies of Earth. Thi
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Ignite the Stars (Ignite the Stars, #1)
  • This Splintered Silence
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Sanctuary (Sanctuary, #1)
  • The Last 8 (The Last 8, #1)
  • Undying (Unearthed, #2)
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • Hullmetal Girls
  • Valiant
  • The Door to the Lost
  • Dare Mighty Things
  • Goddess in the Machine
  • Toxic
  • Borderland
  • Sky Without Stars (System Divine, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
M.K. England is an author and YA librarian living who grew up on the Space Coast of Florida and now calls the mountains of Virginia home. When she’s not writing or librarianing, MK can be found drowning in fandom, going to conventions, rolling dice at the gaming table, climbing on things in the woods, or feeding her video game addiction. She loves Star Wars with a desperate, heedless passion. It’s ...more
“Yeah, I know, I’m a bit of a disaster. But hey, aren’t we all? Doesn’t mean we can’t fly.” 4 likes
“We’re raised to believe that if we do all the right things, the law will protect us. Reality is much harsher.” 3 likes