Start by marking “False Idols (The Dragon Lords, #2)” as Want to Read:
False Idols (The Dragon Lords, #2)

False Idols

(The Dragon Lords #2)

Guardians of the Galaxy meets The Hobbit in this rollicking fantasy adventure series.

The Dragons who once ruled over the land are dead.

The motley crew that stumbled through that revolution are rich and praised as saviors.

Everyone gets to live happily ever after, right?

Right?

Well, it might have worked out that way if the dragons in Kondorra had been the only ones. If they
Published May 23rd 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about False Idols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Idols

Kaitlin
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-sff-faves
I'm not going to lie, when I read the second book in a series I am always skeptical and I am always worried it just won't be as good, or it will feel like it's a filler-story. This is not that at all, in fact, I would say this is better than the first book in the series because not only are the stakes massively higher and the world far more expansive, we also already have our first book knowledge of the characters and we can settle into a story with them quite quickly.

This book begins about 12mo
kartik narayanan
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Whew! What an ending.

Sorry. Let's back up a bit.

Fool's Gold, the first one in the series, was an excellent book with great humour which somehow made standard fantasy tropes interesting again. Let me reiterate - humour. But, False Idols does not rely on humour to carry it. It instead focuses on character development, a far better story and world building. So, False Idols is literally three steps forward and one step back.

Does it work? Yes, it does. The main characters - all of them - have moment
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
So much fun. This killed it!

I loved the first book- it wasn’t perfect, it was kind of up and down in the pacing and characters sometimes but it got five stars from me anyway because it was entertaining and made me laugh at some of its progressively more absurd predicaments and completely up my alley, so wrong it’s funny, comedy (I still laugh about that damned cow two years later).

This book improves upon those issues with pacing, rounds out the characters and is still fun as hell.

The story pick
Iain Garland
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even better than Fools Gold, this one. The book starts at a decent slower pace to remind you who each of the characters are, serving both those who have waited 12 months for this 2nd book in the series, as well as anyone new to the Dragon Lords books (although if that's you, you should really be reading Fools Gold first even though this book doesn't insist on it) but after a few chapters the action ramps up and barely takes a breath for the following 500 pages.

I've read books before that have b
Vinay Badri
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
A messy, chaotic, bursting at the seams book that somehow makes to work all the humor, and silliness work amidst a mad cap plot that gets darker towards the end

My review of this book will be quite similar to that of the last one - its fun, silly, crass and a total hoot. However, it does tend of get exhausting after a while which quite wasnt how book 1 turned out to be. But it still is oodles of fun - just tempered with the fact that we kind of have a middle book syndrome

Like Guardians of the Gal
Emma Williams
Dude, this book. Is awesome. Read it, it is funny it has action twists turns and all of the spy action thriller stuff. and there is only one book left... I need to read the next one.
Ashley
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listening to this book is a pleasure and a joy. It's a remarkably funny read that regularly had me laughing out loud. The audio narration by Jon Banks is superb with distinct and well acted voices for each characters. He doesn't simply read the book but truly performs it.
Khai Jian (KJ)
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second book in the Dragon Lord's series: False Idol by Jon Hollins. OMG THIS IS SO GOOD! Definitely better than the first book! This story took place 12 months after the incidents in the first book (Fool's Gold) whereby we follow the main characters Will, Lette, Balur, Quirk and Firkin in their subsequent adventures. After the heist in the first book, each characters thought that they could move on with their lives with the gold that they have stolen from the Dragon in Kondorra. What they do ...more
Rituranjan Gogoi
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A ridiculously fun and exaggerated story with full throttle action and adventure that parodies the cliched tropes and settings of epic fantasy in a delightfully epic manner. I enjoyed the wild ride I had with this novel. There is humor, action, gods, and dragons aplenty in the story. The characters are complex and well-rounded, and the plot though feels repetitive at places manages to soar with new twists and revelations. It is a novel with lots of levity, but at times there are grim and dark mo ...more
Mike Fluture
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a good follow up. Can't wait for the next!
Beth Meade
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really looking forward to the final book. It's nice to read fantasy with humor again.
Bookwarrior
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fanasy, favorites, comedy
This is perfect, everyone should read this. It is hilarious and has a great story!
Lindsey Roberts
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Original Review Here

I don’t think I’ve added a book to my basket as quickly as when I saw The Dragon Lords: False Idols on The Works’ website. I adored the first book and knew I had to read the second.

I’m pleased to say this one didn’t disappoint. I found it just as humorous as the first and even had the awkward moment of laughing out loud on the train – I wasn’t quick enough to swallow my giggles this time.

Will has tried to live a quiet life as a farmer with his new-found riches. But when Lett
Chris Evans
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book starts off pretty much how you'd expect given the personalities of the Dragon Slayer gang and what they were supposedly going to do. What follows is pretty much a plot I'm supersized Terry Pratchett didn't try given their deity systems are so similar. The Last Hero and Small Gods kind of touch upon it, as well as witches abroad, but nothing on this level. So, as the cover of the book shows, dragons have returned, this time a whole squadron of them and they plan on stealing the worship ...more
Sam
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
If you liked the first you'll probably like this one.
Although its Not as good as the original. The first part was the best and had the most promise. The characters felt like they were growing and the plot was still interesting. The second part although okay was were the story started to fall apart for me. The characters were falling back to their original selves and the plot was becoming samey. The last part did have some interesting idea it just dragged a bit.
The book still has the black-comedy
Steve
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
They say the second book of a trilogy is often the weakest. Not the case here. False Idols exceeds its predecessor in nearly every way. The world of Avarra is fleshed out, characters are given rich histories and deeper motivations, the stakes are higher, and somehow the laughs are even bigger.

As funny an author as I've ever read, Jon Hollins weaves a fantasy tale that feels both comfortably familiar and unexpectedly different. I can't wait to see what he has in store for the series conclusion.
Dan
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book. I can't wait for the next one - and look forward to the series continuing beyond that, if possible. Hollins combines wry humor with unapologetic realism - a sort of bastard child between grimdark and laugh-out-loud satire. The overall effect is rich characterization with emotionally compelling action.
Christopher
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-generic
The number of times people thought, "There's something wrong with Firkin but I don't want to talk to him about it" made me think, "something big is going to happen to Firkin". Boy howdy, I didn't know I'd be that literal though.

I'm excited for book three this summer.
Danielle
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-faves, 2018
This book is even better than the last one, now I just have to wait for the final book to be released on audio, but that ending...

I love these characters so much, such snark and attitude and ignorance
Kyle Spielhagen
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing work cannot wait to read the 3rd one.
Vinayak Malik
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hijinks and hilarity ensues. A pretty good followup. Will be tough to beat in the sequel
Jana
Review to be posted at Fantasy Literature.
Sierra Ramsey
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25. A rare instance where the second book holds up to the first book. It starts a little slow, but that was to reintroduce the band of dragon slayers and delve into their histories and motivations. The story picks up pace from there and I will say the ending twist was not something I saw coming. Well done. False Idol’s continues to embrace humor and makes swearing an art form. It still pokes fun of traditional tropes and expands on the world of Avarra. Time to start Bad Faith.
Kunal
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I think it's fair to say I was not expecting that! (think of this comment as you wish)

This book in my opinion is very different to the first, where the original was witty comedy, this is more slapstick and satire. The first had a very simple but entertaining story, this book is a slightly more disjointed and gets a while to get going. Granted, when it does pick up a bit it is interesting enough to keep my attention. I did in particular miss the monologues from the Dragon's that we were p
Sam
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Holy crap! I just finished this last night and wow was it good. I enjoyed the first book, for me it was like an 8 out of 10. But man he really stepped up his writing game up, cause for me this ones a 10/10. There arent many sequels that step up this big and knock it out of the park. Where the first gets the Guardians of the Galaxy comparison, its a bunch of misfits that accidentally save the day with a lot of humor and snark, that Id agree with. Where False Idols has some of the humor, some part ...more
Kaitlynn
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book has a very different feel from the previous book. Whereas the first book was more light-hearted, slap stick, parody-style humor, this book is much, much darker and more of a satirical bent. I'm not saying it isn't funny or clever - its both - but the tone was quite shifted and not what I expected. The pacing was much slower in this one - I'd say the last third or so dragged. But the action was great, the characters have had development - sometimes forward, sometimes backward, sometimes ...more
Hamda
Sep 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, predictable
A very plot driven tale trying really hard to masquerade as a character driven one.

The result is dialogue that reads like this

Random NPC "you need to get from Point A to Point B?"

One of the MCs "Yes."

Random NPC "oh... um do you need some thing from me? Maybe the reader does?"

One of the MCs "No"

Random NPC "errrr ok... so am I here to prove a point then?"

One of the MCs "Kindda, it's something we've been hammering on for awhile now so doesn't matter really"

Random NPC "So am Padding?"

One of the MCs
Rowena Tylden-Pattenson
Although this was quite long, it also took me a while to get through. Initially I had a few problems because I read the first book a while ago, and this one jumps in straight where that one left off- without any recap of the characters or plot. Lette has red hair? Oops, forgot that for most of the book, let alone anything about the other characters. I did however, remember how much I hate Firkin as a character. Thankfully he became much more interesting about 300-400 pages in.
A lot of the start
Louise
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
In my head I was building a monolith of awesome things to say whilst reading this but then Hollins sucker-punched me with an ending that reduced my remaining coherent thoughts to a simple, ceaseless chant of...
description

How dare you, Hollins?
How dare you?!
...
Now watch as I demonstrate an inhuman level of self-discipline to not read the last in the trilogy immediately after Hollins BROKE MY FUCKING HEART!
...
description
KathleenB
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Lots of world building, but too much second book of likely trilogy, ie- everything goes wrong and dark. I also got a little annoyed at the amount of internal personal turmoil. I do like the last few pages setting up for what I hope is a return to the fun screw up but still win vibes of book 1.

• The Thousand Deaths of Ardor Benn
  • That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Vol. 2
  • A War in Crimson Embers (The Crimson Empire, #3)
  • The Bitter Twins (The Winnowing Flame Trilogy #2)
  • Veiled Intentions (The Dragon's Blade, #2)
  • Dragonforge (Dragon Age, #2)
  • ノーゲーム・ノーライフ 3 ゲーマー兄妹の片割れが消えたようですが……?(No Game No Life, #3)
  • Dragonstar (Winterlands, #4)
  • Of Darkness and Dawn (Elder Empire: Shadow, #2)
  • Blazing the Trail (The Dragon Diaries, #3)
  • War of Shadows (Ascendant Kingdoms, #3)
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles
  • Raising Fire (Ben Garston, #2)
  • Incarnate (The Spellmason Chronicles, #3)
  • Communication Failure
  • Junk Mage
Jon Hollins is a pseudonym for urban fantasy author Jonathan Wood

The Dragon Lords (3 books)
  • Fool's Gold (The Dragon Lords #1)
  • Bad Faith (The Dragon Lords #3)