Start by marking “Deadly Class, Volume 5: Carousel” as Want to Read:
Deadly Class, Volume 5: Carousel

Deadly Class, Volume 5: Carousel

(Deadly Class #5)

The brutal Freshman Finals at Kings Dominion School of the Deadly Arts have created a new status quo. The Student Council has eliminated all its enemies and rules the halls with an iron fist. Into this shark tank comes a new class of kids, fresh blood for a fresh start.

There is Quan, a Vietnamese rockabilly, quick with his knives and a comb. Helmut, an East German metalhe
Published March 14th 2017 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Class, Volume 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Class, Volume 5

Start your review of Deadly Class, Volume 5: Carousel
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: Review pending re-read. Collected review for volumes 4-6 can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....
James DeSantis
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deadly Class remains one of the best series out there. Smart writing, well done art, and great pacing with a wonderful cast of characters.

Spoilers from volume 4 so don't read ahead if you aren't ready. Ready? READY!? Okay here we go. After Marcus and crew were murdered horribly I thought we might be in trouble. Killing compelling character's can be great and add to the story but then we got new characters and what if we don't like them?

Luckily we got a new cast of kids, all freshmen, and all w
Donovan

Prom, drugs, booze, politics, revenge, D&D, twists, and comebacks! Remender and team are killing it!

In volume 5 of this amazing series, Shabnam rises to power and commands much of the school, the freshmen class take the spotlight, and Saya is being hunted by samurai assassins. While many of the characters from previous volumes are gone (but not all of them!), the new characters are totally fascinating.

Unlike volume 4, which was exhausting nonstop action, this one allows me to catch my breath and
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

FINALLY. Well…actually, I did read this volume as single issues as they were released because I honestly could NOT wait for this volume to be released after the way that volume 4 ended. This was the first time I had read individual issues of any comic before and it has definitely introduced me to the world of digital comics! Once the entire volume was released in paperback, you better believe I bought it and read the whole thing again. Ugh, this series is too good.

What I Liked

The new story. With the way that volume 4Liked
Thegood.
What
Chad
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
It's a new year in assassination school and I find myself not caring. Even though there's a focus on these new freshmen, we only get little tidbits about why they are there. I found myself forcing to continue in places. Then with the last issue we get the story I expected to see and found myself interested again.
Roy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some childish humour has returned. A completely new set of 1st years or rats. Plotting was great but the ending was a little cliched. I did have a feeling something like that would occur. Still one of my fave series
Matthew Quann
FLIPPING THROUGH FLOPPIES

Just a little update on the series up to this point: great twists and turns, a continued focus on character, and FINALLY we are beginning to uncover Saya's mysterious backstory.

A single complaint: the "new" class that is introduced in this arc slows down the pace of the story from the stunner at the end of volume 4. However, that change of pace ends up paying off with some killer action scenes and a slew of new characters I'm interested to follow in the next
Kyle
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than the last Volume, but a tad predictable. That didn't make it any less enjoyable, though. I'm digging the new cast of characters, as well as the story's progression. Keep 'em comin'!!!
Zedsdead
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Next in series
It's a new year at Assassination High School and that means a whole new crop of international freshmen for last year's survivors to kick around. Enter:
--Quan, a wiseass Vietnamese greaser fan
--Zenzele, an African born again Christian and very unlikely enrollee
--Helmut, a Soviet-hating East German metalhead and D&D enthusiast
--Tosahwi, a Native American skateboarder with a grudge against corrupt law enforcement.

The new kids settle in, the older characters j
S. Jess
Issue #22: 3.5 Stars
Issue #23: 5 Stars
Issue #24: 4.5 Stars
Issue #25: 5 Stars!
Issue #26: 5 Stars!
Wing Kee
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A change in perspective and tone makes for a different read.

World: The art is great, I love Scott's art, but I will say this and it's has always annoyed me when artists DON'T DO RESEARCH on street signs that are not English. There is Google translate, there are photos all over the web, IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!! PLEASE DON'T GIVE US FAKE LINE FOR JAPANESE IT'S DISRESPECTFUL. The world building is fine, it's a departure from the huge previous arc and I love it. We get a new batch of stude
Licha
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, series

New characters are introduced. Just great. It's bad enough I haven't been able to connect to the original characters, but now I have to make new friends.
Madi
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good installment. I loved that it followed Saya so closely. The new characters are great and liked being out of Marcus' head. Dude is depressing. The D&D part was kinda weird but fun.
maddi
Aug 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Megan Morris
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5/5 STARS
I’m probably the only one who didn’t connect to this like I wanted based on the high ratings it received, but regardless of that, this remains one of my all time favorite graphic novel series as a whole.
Belinda (TheBookBuddies)
After the hell that was the last volume, this was a bittersweet volume to read. I like Saya. She's a complex character and she's badass af, but I just can't get over what she did. Seems like she's got a new set of problems though. The new characters introduced are interesting and pretty damn funny. They're also geeks, which I appreciate. Nothing wrong with a good game of D&D. Deadly Class still gets me laughing, still has amazing art, and still catches me by surprise.

This last po
Angie
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I can't get enough of this series. Every time I think it's going to hit a rut BOOM the story keeps adding excellent plot. I did watch episode one of the TV series which was pretty good, nice representation of the characters. One thing I learned from this volume is that the covers have pretty big spoilers on them so I would suggest not looking at future volume covers if you don't want spoilers. This volume focuses more on plot and character development then just the murdering and violence in ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I swear I've read this, but apparently, not? Anyway, I did indeed read this and...it wasn't terrible. It seems to have something of a direction (but perhaps "direction" for Remender is too strong a word - maybe goal???). Emo kids are very emo, but at this point, you know it's gonna happen. If these characters aren't moping (is there a single panel of the Japanese chick where she doesn't look like a mopey emo girl from 2004?), then there really isn't a story.

Drown Hollum
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
When I first dipped into this one, I found myself a little disappointed, missing characters who died in the last volume. Saya is great, and the new freshmen are genuinely interesting, but I felt like the heart of the book may had been displaced with vol. 4's big end reveal. Then I got to issue 26, which was damn near a perfect comic book issue. Everything is fine. Deadly Class is still one of the best on the shelves. Carry on.
Mayar El Mahdy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm so very happy right now! bursting with inordinate amounts of joy!

So... This is what a happy surprise feels like.

I like the new rats, Zenzele and German Thor are my favorite, and the angry native american -I'm really terrible with names, aren't I?- seems interesting. I low-key hope he and Zenzele become a thing.

The last issue was more than I could ever hope. I will forever miss and love Billy more than any other rat.
Bárbara
I'm in love with Deadly Class. It's just getting better and better.
Teresa
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After an agonizing ending to Volume 4 this volume picks up and doesn't let up until the horribly, amazing, WTF ending!!!! I have to wait a whole year to learn what happens to the new class and some of the leftovers of the old class....ARGH!!!! I have already gone back and started this volume again....such a great one!

Aron
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I was a little worried since this volume introduces & focuses on a completely new group of characters (with the exception of Saya.) But the new characters were fantastic & the story arc was excellent & this was without doubt my favorite volume so far. I'm glad I gave this series another shot because it has ended up becoming one of my all time favorites. Highly recommend!
Anchorpete
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The last time I wrote a review of this book, I went right to spoilers and expressed the feeling of shock I had throughout the last half of the last trade. This book has a few surprising twists that I will definitely not spoil. What I will say, is that by introducing this new batch of characters, and because of the twists at the end of this trade, Deadly Class has become one of my must read books. I am going to have to read every single trade.
Travis Duke
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Deadly class continues to be great. It is the sophomore year for Saya and what is left of her friends meanwhile a new batch of freshmen enter the school. I loved the D&D and Saya storyline, but the school politics with Shabnam is my least favorite. A nice surprise is left at the end which I won't say anything about except it takes place in Nevada. The art from Wes Craig is still on point and will continue to be a huge draw to the series
Travis
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eden
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.25? 4.5?

Nothing was ever going to compare to the previous volume because that was f l a w l e s s, but this was still great! Loving all of the twists in the plot, this story is constantly surprising me in the best ways. So addictive.
Jen Appell
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YES!! That ending was so satisfying. I took a break from this series (by break, I mean a few days off) because the end of Vol 4 was so upsetting. I'm smiling so hard and waiting for Vol 6 to download onto my phone. Ready for it.
dani
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
OMG yes I needed that last issue after the shitstorm that was volume 4
Joey Meyer
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rick Remender exploits the weakness of the reader; he gets us to like his protagonists which makes their deaths and betrayed that much more impactful.
Brilliantly written
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• East of West, Vol. 9
  • Old Is the New New (The Wicked + The Divine #8)
  • The Magic Order, Vol. 1
  • East of West, Vol. 8
  • Mothering Invention (The Wicked + The Divine #7)
  • East of West, Vol. 7
  • Descender, Vol. 4: Orbital Mechanics
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 4
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 3
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
Rick Remender is an American comic book writer and artist who resides in Los Angeles, California. He is the writer/co-creator of many independent comic books like Black Science, Deadly Class, LOW, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity. Previously, he wrote The Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, Captain America and Uncanny Avengers for Marvel Comics.

Deadly Class (8 books)