Start by marking “Champions #1” as Want to Read:
Champions #1

Champions #1

(Champions (2016) (Single Issues) #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Following the fallout of CIVIL WAR II, Avengers Ms. Marvel, Nova and Spider-Man strike out on their own — joined by Cyclops, Viv Vision and the Totally Awesome Hulk! Six young heroes determined to change the world — and they're only the beginning!
Published October 5th 2016 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Champions #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Champions #1

Terence
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
The Avengers fight anywhere they wish regardless of the damage done. When the battle ends they walk away as though they didn't help create such devastation. Ms. Marvel has finally had enough and has decided to quit the Avengers.
description
Just because she quit the Avengers doesn't mean she's done helping people. She seeks out Nova and Spider-Man with the intentions to do things the right way.
description

The Champions #1 is jam packed with youthful enthusiasm along with social concern for others. It's feels like an aft
Amy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-owned
I love Ms Marvel so anything with her I love but really liked Nova and Spiderman too. Can't wait for the next one...
Caron
This review can also be found on my blog at: https://diminishingthoughts.wordpress...

I’m reading these comics completely backwards but oddly enough, since this comic was the start of a new story and team there was enough information for one not to get lost. Much.

As I mentioned, reading backwards so I haven’t read Civil War II yet but this comic explains a bit what happened to cause Ms. Marvel, Nova and Spider-Man to separate from the Avengers.

The Avengers is a crime fighting superhero group that
Solace Winter
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the only stories that ever made the, "No, we aren't killing people," thing make sense. Despite the fact that they admit this person deserved it. Very much.
Steven Guitink
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rubbish-books
Here's the problem. Mark Waid is a good writer. He's written Kingdom Come. He's written Irredeemable. He is a good writer. BUT he is also a writer that does not write with much in the way of subtlety. His messages are straight and solid and hit like a truck full of bricks. And that can be okay given the medium and the subject matter.

But here and now, it doesn't work.

I have no problem with writing a story pertaining to social issues, but I think a degree of subtlety is required. I think that the
Patrick
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this with low expectations. I knew that Marvel more often then not fails on team books. But, the All-New X-Men run was a personal favorite and that was for young heroes and this is for young heroes...couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

I know nothing of Nova. I know little of Miles Morales. I didn't want to know Cho as the Hulk. Kamala is adore as a character and young Scott Summers was a favorite to read in the All-New X-Men series.

So this was kind of a 50/50 shot.

And Mark Waid absolutely N
Chris Otto
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought it was only serviceable, for a No. 1. Obviously, the story had to hit many different points of introduction and explanation, so there's only so much the author could do, so I understand that. Still, the point driven home in the final pages seemed really heavy-handed to this middle-aged guy; maybe it will strike a better chord with millennials and younger. ... Also, as a side note, it was a little bit frustrating to see Viv Vision *before* the conclusion of her major arc in Tom King's V ...more
Arsnoctis
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dropped-comics
Nuova serie Marvel promettente, non fosse per un dettaglio: dal secondo spillato vi si aggiungerá Scott Summers aka Ciclope. Fine del mio interesse per la serie.
Ne ho scritto qualche riga sul mio blog.
Neswina
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Me ha llegado a la patata. Kamala forever.
Cory
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was everything I hoped it would be.
Paul
I'm so happy this was really good. Marvel has been marketing this series non-stop for the past few months and I decided to give it a try. Basically, all the young superheroes leave the Avengers and other groups because their fighting with each other is hurting the normal every day people in the world. They are just not alright with how superheroes act and think they can do better. Ms. Marvel, Nova, Spider-Man(Mile Morales), Hulk, and Viv Vision team up to do some good. I thought this first issue ...more
Tolga
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
volume hali çıksın da öyle eklim bari ama unutmamak için ilk şeyini ekliyorum böyle
Brandon St Mark
Actual rating: 3.75 stars.

This was interesting, but it really helps to illistrate why I perfer DC to Marvel. So, in this comic there are a lot of pop culture references and jokes, which if you're into that kinda thing, is great. But, for me, they just seem like adults trying to write to teens/young adults, and they just sorta... warp the subject matter in a way that doesn't vibe well with me. Like, it's very dad humor, very bad dad humor.

But as for the actual storyline, it seems really cool! I c
Casey Anderson
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best superhero comic I've read in awhile. I didn't "know" any of these characters. So I had a blank slate. They were all endearing. I loved the message. I loved the modern take on it. They end when they are reading all the # and stuff. Most of the superhero style ones I've read dont' really enmesh themselves in modern culture. I like that they are younger and making their own way. I know that's not a new thing, but I like the way they are doing it. Can't wait to read more.
John Shaw
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The teen super heroes of today
decide that the older generation is
not doing enough to fix the problems
and only making things worse
a sentiment shared by many young
people about the real world
Becoming the CHAMPIONS
they fight to fix the world
Clever writing combined
with breath taking art by the
incredible Ramos
make this an amazing
kinetic, wonderful book
Stacy
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-work
This was really good. Served its purpose for a first issue. Played the characters as we know/love/expect them. Also challenges the common trope of what it means to be a hero. This issue is really just about getting the characters together. I'm very curious to see what Waid throws the team at next.
Anna
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I loved this issue, can't wait to read the rest of them.
Henry B.
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great title

Great first story. Characters are awesome in the book. Trying to go in a New Direction.
Marvel Now! Keep up the good work
Chris Conley
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
#Champions
That makes me one of the cool kids now.
Annie
Oct 02, 2017
Kait
Oct 16, 2016
Melissa
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2016
Oct 16, 2016
ValMJ
Nov 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.

Champions (2016) (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Champions #2