Start by marking “B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946” as Want to Read:
B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946

B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946

(B.P.R.D. #9)

In the wake of the Second World War, Professor Trevor Bruttenholm -- occult investigator and guardian of the infant Hellboy -- founded the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense to investigate and defuse the remains of the Axis's sophisticated occult-warfare projects and potential Soviet threats. Now, with the help of a handful of war-weary American soldiers and their ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published November 5th 2008 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about B.P.R.D., Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B.P.R.D., Vol. 9

Start your review of B.P.R.D., Vol. 9: 1946
Chad
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Professor Buttenholm is in postwar Berlin, trying to recover all of Hitler's occult experiments before they fall in the wrong hands, but so are the Soviets. Varvara is heading up the Soviets and she's the creepiest little girl imaginable. She's like a doll come to life to murder you in your sleep. Paul Azacleta's art didn't always work for me. He needs to work on his use of shadow some but those last two issues he draws some fun, inventive, Nazi experiments come to life.
Sesana
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
1946 takes a sharp detour from the previous volumes of B.P.R.D. by taking several steps backwards, to earlier days of the organization. Hellboy is still new to the world, and Bruttenholm is still in charge. Naturally, it's set in post-war Germany, and it's full of Nazis and monsters and pulpy action. It's like a Hellboy-verse checklist. And it's good fun to read. Plus it introduces a very interesting, very creepy character: Varvarya, the little girl who isn't either.
Brendan
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was quite an interesting spinoff that wasn't what I expected. The clues to the core franchise are there and Rasputin makes a tiny appearance towards the end. This was a strong book that develops the professor and from the outlook, there are more stories to come. This franchise is growing bigger with each storyline and with the reboot of the Hellboy film franchise, we may see a new cinematic universe. The only issue is the overly convoluted storyline that isn't suited to the introduction of ...more
Dávid Novotný
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Early days of BPRD, Berlin just after the war, soviets and americans searching for rest of Nazis' occult research and any leads of Hellboy's origin. You can never go wrong with Nazis and occult. Story works even though there are no known characters. Art wasn't my style, but after the while you get used to it.
Sam Quixote
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Berlin, 1946. A wasteland after the Allies have destroyed the remains of Hitler's Third Reich, and a couple of bookish-looking chaps appear amid the wreckage with a strange purpose - they are there to investigate the occult side of the Nazi regime. The US army are hesitant, even mocking, at first, until Professor Trevor Bruttenholm and a colleague unearth some startling experiments that involved vampires. Their investigations lead them to abandoned factories and mass graves, underground ...more
Otherwyrld
Feb 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, graphic-novel
As the title suggest, the story is set in the early days of the B.P.R.D. and features Trevor Bruttenholm (pronounced Broom)as the main protagonist. In this story he travels to post-war Berlin to try and seek any information about his young ward Hellboy. He finds himself stymied at all turns by a similar Soviet paranormal group let by the mysterious child/demon Varvara.

The two groups come together to uncover the horrific story of Operation Vampir Sturm, Hitler's attempt to create a vampire army
Gav451
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really good read. The story was creepy and the art evocative.

There was real darkness at the heart of this tale and the sacrifices made were harsh. I really enjoyed the fact that there were consequences for people who were actually saved from vampirism and the feeling that the darkness was paused rather than stopped. There is one story arc that was grim indeed.

The supporting characters in this book are all very strong as well and the art is unique and effective.

I enjoyed this a lot.
Julian
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
This reminded me of an extended version of the stories found in BPRD Vol. 2 The Soul of Venice and Other Stories. We get another "break" from BPRD's continual war on the frog monsters (which haven't actually appeared in awhile but are usually brought up once per volume). This collection chronicles the first big mission of the BPRD in the ruins of post-war Germany.

Nothing in this volume was particularly new, unique or entertaining and the last two issues seemed to take on a completely different
Karly Noelle Noelle
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
After the massive buildup in the last few volumes, there is a slight jolt when you realize that 1946 is about the BPRD of the last, specifically, in the year, 1946 (see what I did there?). Still, this is a great installment, filled to the brim and overflowing with nothing but macabre pulp. This follows the adventures of Professor Bruttenholm in the early days of the Bureau, investigating immediate post-war conditions in Berlin, with the shaky aid of Varvara, a strange little Russian girl who ...more
Orrin Grey
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
It took me a long time to get to this, but not for any particular reason.

I'll admit that I've not enjoyed the various B.P.R.D. comics as much as I do the regular Hellboy titles. That said, this one is probably one of my favorites of them.

There's more straight-up horror in 1946 than I'm used to seeing in most titles from the Hellboy universe, and the art is full of wonderful panels and reveals. I don't know how much input Mignola had in the actual progression or pacing of the story (from the
Ed
Jan 10, 2009 added it
Shelves: graphix-comix
Like Season 1 of the 1970's Wonder Woman television serial, this graphic novel has Nazi bad guys, with an appearance or two by Der Fuhrer himself. But Lynda Carter never had to deal with the "secret weapon" at the heart of this chilling tale, which apparently is inspired by the actual Nazi obsession with the occult. There's a lot goin' on in this WWII-era story, a Hellboy connexion, a ragtag group of American soldiers, a most bizarre Russian protagonist--I'm tempted to say a whole lotta shakin' ...more
Adam Stone
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hellboy-universe
Don't let the volume 9 on the side fool you, this is the best point to start reading BPRD. A slightly post-War World War II adventure featuring the founder of BPRD (and the guy who raises Hellboy), vampires, demons, Russian soldiers, and a ragtag group of American soldiers.

You can read this having never read any of Mike Mignola's stories and have no problem following the story. And if it's not for you, you can put it down after, imagining it's all been wrapped up in a nice little bow.

I would
Tom
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The backdrop of this story is really promising. In the aftermath of World War II, the United States and the USSR are fighting over the occult research of Nazi Germany just as they were looking at German rocket scientists.

The art for this volume was not my favorite. It was a bit heavier in the lines and didn't have the same atmospheric quality some Hellboy titles have. There were a couple of panels that stood out, but a lot of the action was very muddled.
Koen Claeys
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'I've had enough of this horror show!!!' someone cries out near the end of the story. I was thinking the exact opposite. Mignola teams up with Joshua Dysart (I love his run on 'Unknown Soldier') and they seem to bring out the best of each other. To make the horror, spiced up with some dark humor, come to life Azaceta's art was added to the mix, resulting in a damn fine comic book.
Martin Chalupa
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A mini sub-series within B.P.R.D which covers how the whole organization was actually founded. I liked how it is inserted between how Hellboy was found and when he is an adult. It helps to fill blank space in the story timeline.
Sean Goh
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
We get introduced to a very strange little girl in charge of the Russians, and a leftover nazi apocalypse project. Good times ensue.
Ripley
This is a flashback trade to Prof Broom's days wgen Hellboy is just a child. It's really good but i prefer the current bprd cast so it sucked to read cases without them.
Jake
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy these self-contained story arcs.
Elijah
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally a story with Dr. Broom front-and-center! He makes this one work better than it ought to.
G. Salter
Can't say I really loved the artwork, but the story was gripping, fascinating, and just the right mix of horror, science fiction and pulp adventure
Ronald
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Overall good story, but not really happy with the whole occult cold war thing it is already getting old and I have not read that many of the stories.
Eugene Mirotin
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot is OK but action scenes are hard to decipher
James
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Let’s start with some background for those unfamiliar with Mike Mignola’s universe of horror. Rooted in “Hellboy,” but extended through various high-quality affiliated series, this world is host to old gods and occult terrors. Imagine a world where desperate Nazis tried to win the Second World War by stockpiling vampires and summoning demons, and you pretty much have it.

The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.) is charged with keeping these nightmares in check, often at the
Wing Kee
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I generally don't like prequels, I don't like hearing about what's happened before as I always see the visible hand of the story protecting characters that make it out of the prequels and also the story needing to bend a certain way to reach canon. So yeah I'm not a big fan of prequels.

However, I was interested and excited about 1946. This is because Broom gets killed on page 2 of Seed of Destruction and we never hear and see the forming of the BPRD. Still, it had all the things I don't like
Bradley Littlejohn
May 12, 2009 rated it liked it
This was my first encounter with Paul Azaceta's artwork. I liked it pretty well but after seeing Guy Davis work his magic on the BPRD I have a tough time going back to the days when the Hellboy book artists had to draw all Mignola-esque. That said, seeing the figures in the sanitarium shadows as Professor Broom walks the halls was a joy. I actually had to flip back and forth on the pages scanning for the images I thought I missed and look for things that weren't there. That alone was worth the ...more
Hans
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars - The story is strong, but the art kept distracting me from the story.

What feels right about the art:
--It makes great use of Mignola's (trademark?) Hellboy-universe shadows. There are buckets of black ink on these pages...followed closely by shades of dark grey.
--The larger half-page and full-page reveals are well done. They have more detail and really take the reader into the scene.

Here's the part where I say what else I think about the art...while also stating that the art work is
BJ Haun
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
For me, this is the weakest volume of the B.P.R.D. series thus far. As many of the other reviews have said, the strength of the series comes from it's collection of characters that you care about. Unfortunately, they are left by the wayside to tell this tale of Professor Bruttenholm, whom reluctantly leaves the fledgling Hellboy to investigate weird goings on in post-WII Berlin. There he is assigned a group of rag-tag soldiers who serve as a effort to give us characters to care about (for me, it ...more
Cathy
Yowza was this disturbing. This is definitely not for the light of heart, easily disturbed, delicate constitution type of person. Its DEFINITELY not for younger teens.
The artwork is gorgeous and vibrant, even when you wouldn't want it to be. The expressions of the characters are so intense, you can almost feel their agony. In some scenes the images are so detailed its almost a little overwhelming.
Upon reading it, I didn't realize that it was the ninth volume, but it really does stand alone as a
Spencer
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tone of this volume is different to those of the previous but it still retains the high quality that I've come to expect from this series. This goes back many years and fills in a small piece of the history of the BPRD and contains nods to other plot-lines in the Hellboy universe.
The story is by far the creepiest that I've read of these volumes and Paul Azaceta's art wonderfully builds up the tension and unnerving atmosphere.
Adam Luptak
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
After the mounting tension of the previous volume, it was a shock to be thrown back to 1946. The first half is very heavy on the horror, and while the climax becomes much more fun, at points it begins to feel a bit silly. A weakness of this volume is the lack of characters to feel attachment to - the only returning character must survive because of continuity, and no other characters have enough development time to worry for them. Also, not a huge fan of Paul Azaceta's art in this volume - while ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • Harrow County, Vol. 4: Family Tree
  • Hilda and the Mountain King
  • Super Spellsword Sága: Legenda o Nekonečnu
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 3: Age of Doom Part One
  • Hellboy: Weird Tales, Vol. 1
  • Wannsee
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 32: Mysteries (Usagi Yojimbo, #32)
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Les chroniques de Légion, Tome 1
  • Fell
  • Middlewest, Book One
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers (The Sixth Gun, #1)
  • Fables, Vol. 15: Rose Red
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began

B.P.R.D. (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 1: Hollow Earth and Other Stories