Start by marking “Blood Tide (Never Land, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blood Tide (Never Land, #3)

Blood Tide (Never Land #3)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  424 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
When an earthquake strikes Never Land Island, things begin to go terribly wrong. A mysterious barrel washes ashore and falls into the hands of Captain Hook, who hatches an evil plan.

The once-peaceful mermaids, who have always been friends to the natives, have turned violent. When the mermaids injure some members of the Mollusk tribe, the warriors have no choice but to figh
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published September 16th 2008 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Blood Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Tide

Stacey Mason
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
A cross-country move left me searching for a decent audiobook in an Iowa truckstop, where this stood out like a pearl in an ocean of generic crime thrillers and bodice-rippers. I knew it was for younger readers, but I over-estimated the age of intended audience by a few years. Still, this was a fun diversion that left me thinking about the possibilities for adult Neverland stories.

Blood Tide is actually the third in a series of Neverland books. I hadn't read the first two, but it wasn't a hindra
Jenna
Sep 22, 2011 added it
Shelves: fantasy, kids
I really loved this book! I've always loved Dave Barry; and mix him up with Peter Pan, well it's pretty awesome :) This is a fun book, definitely for elementary age, but really good for the imagination and a brain rest.
What makes it more fun is that these adventures don't involve Peter, he's off saving something somewhere else. But that it's the lost boys and the daughters of the chief of the tribe that are saving the island. Has the effect of "kid power" to watch normal kids save the day. And
Gabby
Apr 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Book 3, Neverland series. I am having a very difficult time listening to this because it's read my Jim Dale, my all time favorite reader by the way. I keep imagining Harry Potter or Hermione's voices when he speaks and it throws me completely. I may have to read this book instead of listening to it.
Becky Avella
Jul 09, 2015 added it
Shelves: audiobook
My six-year-old son loves this series. They are fun adventure stories for young readers. This was our least favorite of the three books, but we still enjoyed it, especially Jim Dale's narrating.
Mac Daly
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Peter Pan has gone on vacation leaving the Lost Boys of Neverland on their own. What could go wrong? How about wicked water, murderous mermaids, and plotting pirates? It's a quick read, but if you get the audio, you get the added pleasure of Jim Dale's magical voice.
Elizabeth Meadows
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-audio-books
This was my second time listening to this on audio. This story is more intense than the other two books in the series.
R.K. Cowles
Oct 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
1 1/2 stars
Tami
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dave Barry & Ridley Pearson have teamed up to create an impressive body of adventure stories for young and middle grade readers. Both of these authors are well known to adult readers: Pearson for his suspense and mystery thrillers and Barry for his creative nonfiction in the Florida press and countless books of his humorous observations of our lives.

While I enjoy both these authors in their adult work, I find that where I get really excited about their stories is in their books for younger r
Luciano
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Kristen
You can read this review and others on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

Well, I picked this and another from this series up at a big book sale. I like reading these short elementary books as books to just enjoy a chapter or two of before bed – and to scope out fun books to read to my daughter as she gets older.

When I picked this one up to read, I tried looking at the books to determine if there was a series to the books. Neither book indicated a number. So I picked up Blood Tid
Luann
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, 2010
This is the third Never Land Book written by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. The Never Land books are quick yet action-packed adventure stories about those left on the island while Peter and Molly are off having their adventures in the Peter and the Starcatchers books. In this one, the Lost Boys, Shining Pearl, and Little Scallop have to deal with a Blood Tide which causes the water in their lagoon to be contaminated, poisoning the mermaids and causing them to turn violent. At the same time, Capt ...more
Leigh
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hubby was the one who read most of this to the Falcon (age 6.5). F gives is good marks for story and Hubby gives it good marks for readability. Hubby says the content was very assessable.

We've also read Escape from the Carnivale: A Never Land Book which F did not enjoy as much and somewhere around here with have a 3rd book in the series (which is actually the second in the trilogy). F and H are interested in reading it as well and sometime in the future we're planning the try the Peter and the
Frank
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was thinking as I read this third book of this series that it has been a lot of FUN reading them. Some books may be great books but are not necessarily a "fun" read. This was fun with lots of excitement and the pirates doing there thing and the kids getting the better of them but at a great cost. The mermaids had a dark roll in this one which added to the suspense. These books are ones I could read over and over. Again Peter Pan was not in these although he is mentioned. James is the leader in ...more
Jesse Salcido
What I thought of the book was amazing even though Peter Pan is not in this book, the story caught my attention at every detail. This book should be recommend to anyone, because this has surprises and questions. The book is set in Never land (except without Peter Pan) and everything is fine and except for a major earthquake happened out of the blue causing trees falling down and the ocean shaking. After it stops weird things happened, like the mermaids attack anything and anybody that go in the ...more
Kaylee Melendez
An earthquake hits Never Land Island and things begin to go terribly wrong. The mermaids that are usually nice to the natives have gone wild and violent. While that's going on, a mysterious keg washes up on the island and falls into the hands of Captain Hook, who comes up with an evil plan to attack the natives. Two of the characters, Shinning Pearl and Little Scallop, are planning to take a secret trip to visit the mermaids and see what's going on. They find out there's a Blood tide and it's po ...more
Lisa W.
A Peter and the Starcatchers book for younger readers, follows the Lost Boys and the Pirates while Peter is off having an adventure elsewhere. Earthquake has causes a sickness and turned the mermaid violent and Pirates have discovered a keg of gunpowder and want to blow up Mollusk village to steal a boat. Lost Boys and Mollusk Chief's daughter saves the day. Godd adventure story for younger readers.
aaron
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another quick kids story set in never land by the incomparable dave barry and ridley pearson. this one finds the mermaids in the lagoon turning fierce after their water source is damned up after an earthquake. hook finds a keg of gunpowder and hatches a plan to destroy the mollusk village. enter: the lost boys along with shining pearl and little scallop and you have a romp along the island and a decent read.
Brett
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
The third book Barry/Pearson wrote for younger readers set on Neverland in Peter's absence. An earthquake causes a mysterious blood-colored tide in the Lagoon, making the usually friendly mermaids start to attack anyone who comes too close. The remaining Lost Boys must team up with their friends from the Mollusk tribe to keep Captain Hook & his pirates from destroying the island while figuring out how to help the mermaids.
Mallory Elick
Blood Tide by Dave Barry is a series of books about the adventures in Neverland. It was a normal day for Lost Boys on Mollusk Island, they went out to the lagoon they always go to to find that the lagoon was a rustish color. The friendly mermaids that are usually by the lagoons were acting strangely mean. After the earthquake on this island,things just haven't been the same. Through out this book the lost boys struggle to figure out this strange occurrence.
Sadi
Dec 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Like the other ones in this series if you have not read at least the first book (Peter and the Starcatchers or something like that) you have no idea what is going on. Also an author note that this is for younger childern but I oddly did not see how the language was for younger children in any manner.
Andrei Secu
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very short, fun children book, this story is about the Lost Boys from Peter Pan. These four children, James, Prentiss, Thomas, and Tubby Ted, with the help of some others, cure a disease that has caused the mermaids of Never Land to go mad. I enjoyed this book because it uses simple language and looks at the world from a child's point of view.
Anna Mari
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: samantha, audiobooks
The lost boys, Little Pearl and Little Scallop must find a way to help the island after an earthquake shakes everything up.Trouble with the mermaids and the pirates pushnthe island further into chaos.
Alicia Walker
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Listened with my kids on audio book. Good book overall. No complaints. I loved the very beginning of the book. The words painted the scene beautifully. Its def geared towards a younger reader but well written.
Barbara
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
As always, any book read by Jim Dale is a winner. These books don't give him quite the scope to show his talent as Harry Potter does because there is so much narration versus all the dialogue of Harry Potter, but this a great short story to listen to nonetheless.
Barbara
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an adventure on Mollusk island when the Mermaids mysteriously turn vicious. This is labeled as the third book in this neverland series, but it is a stand alone story. The only book you need to have read is Peter and the Starcatchers.
Natasha
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are a lively re-imagining of Peter Pan. My son and I listen to this series on our commute to school. I may not care for these quite as much if I read the books myself, but Jim Dale, the narrator on the audiobook, is a rock star so he gets an extra two stars just to himself.
Vy
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
Good book
Amy
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Super quick read that happens while Peter is off to the mainland. I love that the authors do forget let you know what is happening on Neverland Island while Peter is off having adventures.
Susan
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just checked this book out from the library because I miss reading about the adventures of Peter and the boys. I'll let you know how it is.
Shannon
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Very cute book for younger readers. I have enjoyed reading the back story about Peter Pan. I think kids would enjoy this book series.
  • The Fairy Realm (Fairy Realm, #1-6)
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
  • Tigerheart
  • Hook
  • Caradoc of the North Wind (Destiny's Path #4)
  • Demigods of Olympus: An Interactive Adventure
  • Fairies and the Quest for Never Land (Disney Fairies #3)
  • Legacy of Secrets (Kingdom Keepers: The Return, #2)
  • The Dark Tower:  The Sorcerer
  • Captain James Hook and the Curse of Peter Pan
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
  • Hooked
  • Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. (Hatter Madigan, #1)
  • The Little White Bird
  • Fridays with the Wizards (Castle Glower, #4)
  • The Sisters Grimm: A Very Grimm Guide
  • Peter Pan in Scarlet
  • Shadow Queen (The Binding, #1)
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...

Never Land (3 books)
  • Escape from the Carnivale (Never Land Books, #1)
  • Cave of the Dark Wind (Never Land, #2)