Start by marking “Brontide (The Tempest, #1)” as Want to Read:
Brontide (The Tempest, #1)

Brontide

(The Tempest #1)

Lost in a dark woods and far from his familiar stomping grounds, Corbet put little stock in myths and legends of the Aos Sí. But when he is happened upon by a man claiming to be a faerie king, he finds that superstition holds more sway than logic among the Sidhe.
Published October 4th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Brontide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brontide

Daesy
caravaggion
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
u know when youre supposed to be eating some healthy salad for lunch but then you give in and you buy cookies instead even though you know its the unhealthy option bUT THEN they turn out to be WHOLE WHEAT; SUGAR FREE LOW CARB COOKIES n ur like HA TAKE THAT its HEALTHY AND WHOLESOME after all?
this is how this book experience can be described just now

i had this sudden whim today to find a gay fae book tbh litterally out of nowhere, mostly bc im TIRED AF, my brain is super slow so i was like, i wa
Ashley Seibert
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five Stars

Looking forward to the next book!

Brontide is a beautifully written narrative following Corbet, a young wanderer who has found himself entangled with a fae king. The book reads like a fairy tale and never lost my interest. The characters were well developed and the author kept me wondering how the book would end!
Nana Bee
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How do I begin to review something that has impacted my life so much?

If I could only read one book series for the rest of eternity, it would be this one. I'd re-read it until I know every page word for word and then I would read it again and again, I could never get tired of this book.

Brontide is a book like no other, coming from a person who devours and studies books for a living, Brontide has easily made its way to my favourite book of ever. Of all time.
If you love LGBT+ romance and are into
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-male-male
Why did I read this book!!!!! It is a cliff hanger and I absolutely hate cliff hangers. The story itself was just okay though. The reader doesn't get to know either MC well and the world building was minimal. Could have been soo much more but just didn't hit the mark for me.

The ending was crazy and not in a good way. The story took an entirely different path than expected which leaves me sad and confused. Part of me wants to read the next while another part doesn't want to give it another chanc
Ty
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have too many feelings to write wordy reviews for either of the books that belong to this series. The following meager sentences will have to suffice: it's been a very long time since I've read anything that fills me with as much anticipation, anxiety, and warmth as these books have. Most books fall into the realm of "sameness" for me, but I will l carry this story and its characters close to my heart. Cloud will be on my automatic buy list from now on.

Thank you for adding a bright spot in my
Daphne
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay listen up pals. This book cleared my pores, gave me a thousand bucks, washed my car, filled the gas tank, and so so so much more. I still think about it every day and it keeps me up at night. All I want in life is more Corbet and Ruari content.
Its gay and so am I.
Dennie
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ends in a cliffhanger. :)
So I will be reading the other 2 books. Hopefully 3 is all there is and I don't have to wait for all of them to be completed.
A.P. Moraez
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-mm
"You mortals are all so blissfully unaware of anything you can't see."

For a long time I had been looking for a good mm romance involving the Fae lore, until I randomly stumbled on this. Brontide was exactly what I thought and was expecting it would be, but it was also more. So much more. The quality of writing here is so much better than most of the stuff I read on this genre; I am really impressed. Actually, thinking about it, I am kinda pissed off this hasn't been published by a big company
Amanda Prado
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
hhhh im so conflicted. i didn’t like 90% of this book, i thought the romance development was badly written and the “plot” relied heavily in, not miscommunication per se, but.... other characters just not giving the protag pertinent information for no reason whatsoever. like the author had to intentionally withhold information from the protag so the plot could happen, it felt too forced. but the last 10% had a plot twist that made me SCREAM and made me READY to read the sequel, but then.... the a ...more
・゚☆✧
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbtia, adult, fantasy
✅: A quick read

❌: Too many;

- Every aspect of this book is rushed: MCs meeting each other, relationship, introduction to the fae world, etc.

-Barely any worldbuilding.
- Practically no side characters.
- Plot other than romantic appears too late and too rushed to be believable.
- Courts politics barely existing.
- Ending too rushed.
- The romance was just they lusting for each other and at some point they decide is suddenly love.
Raz Scarlet
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short Ver: "Brontide" is a lyrically crafted novel that reads like an elegant fairytale told in a way that makes you want to hear it again and again.

Good if you like: Romance, Supernatural, Fairytales, Intrigue, Beautiful Imagery

Long Ver:
As an avid fan of all things fae I have a high standard when I see its elements in a book. It can't just be done, it has to be done well. "Brontide" not only delivers a captivating picture of the Faerie Realm, but also includes a delicious romance and a thrilli
Alia-Mael
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brontide is a cleverly crafted romance that bring us in the mysterious realm of the Fae. It's fascinating how the author manages to make the point of view character, Corbet, feel so familiar to us, while giving all things magical a dream-like quality.

A very pleasurable read –and there's a whole series!
Bookish Linguist
4.5 stars!

This was so cute! I adored Corbet! He was a very strong willed character and made the plot more interesting, even if this did have the insta-love thing happening. The end was such a twist, it made me want more!

Brittney
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The book was a light read with not much action. I enjoyed it; but my copy of the book had a printing error. It was missing text (and I'm assuming pages) around the 80 page mark of my book. But other than a brief moment of confusion, it didn't ruin it for me.
Alyssa Haas
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was recommended this books by a friend and was not disappointed!

It was the perfect mix of fantasy, romance that kept me coming back for more! I could not put this book down (so much so I read it in 4 days with a newborn) Ruari and Corbet give me life and I cannot wait to read the second book in the series!

10/10 would definitely recommend!
Nicole
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
loved it and am on to the next!!
Brynne
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This had a fairy tale-like quality to it, which usually doesn't work for full-length novels, but somehow worked beautifully here. It reminds me more of the dozens of medieval texts involving someone being kidnapped by the Fae more so than anything else, except much more innocent and much more gay.

I do wish we'd gotten a little more background on the characters—especially Corbet—but that's really my only complaint. I can't wait to see what happens in the next installment.
River
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, fantasy
This isn't a good book, not because of what's there being bad, but because of whats missing.

The plot is almost nonexistant, the plywood pieces masquerading as characters act in whatever way is convenient to the few plotpoints that do exist, the worldbuilding is very superficial.

What is there is certainly well written on a technical level. Great Covers and Illustrations.
Joanne (Xinna)
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AN AWESOME, AMAZING AND INTERESTING BOOK
Em
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
Kai
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I bought this on a whim from a friend's recommendation, and knew it was a right decision before I even finished the first chapter. I can't begin to explain what a masterfully and artfully written book this is, from the characters to the plot to the concept as a whole. I can't remember any other time in my life where I've consumed a novel as fast as I took up this one. I could hardly put it down, and I'm sure that will be the case with the sequel now that I'm moving on to that one.
I'm absolutely
BanesofMyExistence
I had heard about this book from several people and decided to check out the reviews on it. Everyone seemed to absolutely love this series. For me, however, I just could not find myself enthralled. The world that the author built was stunning and the concept behind the novel is one of my all time favorites; and yet, it just didn't pan out for me. That being said, I think the only thing that bothered me enough to say I wont pick up the next book is the fact that the characters were so one dimensi ...more
Delora
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t usually write reviews but damn I want more people to read these books. I’m a huge fan of fae and their lore so finding out about this series got me very excited. Also add on the LGBT romance and you’ve got me hooked. The beginning of the book I was very unsure but as I continued I really started to enjoy it. Even though the romance is a little quick for my tastes it was very enjoyable especially with the amazing world building. I really loved this book at the end and I’m excited for the ...more
Linden
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brontide lets your imagination run wild.

Brontide is a story between the mortal Corbet and the fae king Ruari, who Ruari quickly becomes infatuated with. The romance is the catalyst for a plot that is just as investing as the romance itself. It introduces a cast that become more prominent as the series goes on and the way the setting and characters are described put you right in the elegant Seelie palace. The art is gorgeous too! It’s not often that a book has lovely illustrations for the cover A
Ticha_11
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF at 75%

2 stars

I was really trying to finish this book, really going for it and then something happens which makes another big thing happen which could've been prevented (???)

I've been meaning to read this book for the longest time, and when I started I was let a bit down because it didn't respond to my high expectations.

I'm quite sure that what happened at this time in the book will probably mean something else but it's just a unoriginal and doesn't make sense to the proportions it causes, j
Meraxes Targaryen
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really don't know how to feel about this book, and I don't want to be mean neither... but this was horribly dissapointing, I just wasn't prepared for this kind of romance (insta-love) like ridiculously quick, the romance plot I think wasn't so convincent, it kind of felt like forced. About some "magical" explanations, well in my oppinion that was .... messy, I mean I'd have liked more detailed explanations and descriptions about the history of this kind of magic but it was like.. yes, messy an ...more
allison
I’m not sure how I feel about this book. I gave it 3 stars after I first finished it because I enjoyed aspects of the writing style, but I changed it to 2 because of all the problems I have with it. Honestly, I may still change it to a 1 star review.

I want to preface this by saying there isn’t anything wrong with the writing. Cloud has a nice writing style; it could be repetitive and slightly hard to follow, but overall I had no qualms with it. My issues were with the plot, with the characters
Alex Fayborne
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and the way that the author writes about her characters. I started out really liking Corbet and, though I still have a soft spot for him, I now also have a soft spot for Ruari. It pained me to find out that Corbet didn't remember him near the end of this book, but I have a feeling that he will soon. My heart could feel the pain that Ruari felt, but he doesn't strike me as someone that gives up easily; he will continue to fight until he has his lost one back. I am excit ...more
Brynn
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this book! I got this book from the author at ColossalCon (along with two of their other books) and I was excited to have new books but I didn’t know how much I would fall in love with the characters. Corbet and Ruari are such well written characters and I just loved their interactions. The ending killed me so I can’t wait to read the next two books and see how it gets resolved.

• Céilí
  • Blackfrost (Wytch Kings, #2)
  • The Sidhe (The Heart of All Worlds, #1)
  • Eoin's Destiny (Fire, #3)
  • Spoils of War
  • A Mage's Power (The Inquisition Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sword and the Sorcerer (The Usurpers Saga #1)
  • In Pain and Blood (Spellster #1)
  • The Knight and The Prince (Knights of The Compass, #1)
  • Kirith Kirin
  • The Call of The Dark (Searching for Eden #2)
  • Curses, Foiled Again
  • Found at Sea (Tales of Fate #1)
  • Unicorns and Rainbow Poop (Vocal Growth #2)
  • Shine Forever (Lovesongs, #3)
  • Bad Boy's Bard (Fae Out of Water, #3)
  • The Solstice Prince (Realms of Love, #1)
  • The Winter Prince

The Tempest (3 books)
  • Deluge  (The Tempest, #2)
  • Petrichor (The Tempest, #3)