Start by marking “Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America” as Want to Read:
Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America

Not Tonight, Josephine: A Road Trip Through Small-Town America

Two Brits, George and Mark, set off from New York City to explore the back roads of America. In this calamity-ridden travel tale, George sets out in true clichéd fashion to discover the real America.

Throw in plenty of run-ins with the police, rapidly dwindling finances and Josephine – the worst car in the world - and you have all the ingredients for a classic American roa
Published October 2nd 2016 (first published December 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Not Tonight, Josephine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Tonight, Josephine

Sheila
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
George Mahood writes very funny travel books which I thoroughly enjoy. In this one he recounts his early adventures in the US with friends in a beat up minivan named Josephine.As expected, Josephine does require some serious maintenance, but Mahood makes even his catastrophes a hoot to read about. His wonderful attitude and personality ensure that everything comes up roses, evenif he is stuck in the muck in a Colorado winter. VERY enjoyable.
Craig Strachan
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like the rest of George's books, this is a lighthearted, informative and entertaining read. In this book he takes us on a roadtrip around USA in a manner than only a cash-strapped student can. Full of humour, interesting stories and anecdotes and stories of his travels through the small towns dotted through the US. Easy reading and fun. He is making me think that my own roadtrip might just be a good idea.
Mike Reuther
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, humor
A funny travel book. Highly recommended.
Irene Moyer
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful read

I have read most oh the Mahood books and this might be my new favorite along with Free Country. It is fascinating, informative, funny, and actually riveting, with a dash of romance. I am from the U.S. and learned things. The whole Josephine thing was amazing - she was his car. Read and enjoy!
Kristina Trawick
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As an American......

The author did the U.S. justice. How lucky for him to get to see so much of it off the beaten track. Lots of laughing out loud, as per usual for his books.
Angela
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First book I've read by George Mahood. He's a delightful writer with an easy going, conversational style that I enjoy. I thought the ending was a little abrupt but not sure how else he would've managed it. I'll definitely consider reading more of his books.
Rachel
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 very funny lighthearted read

A very funny and lighthearted quick read. There were several times I had to stifle my laughter while reading this in bed in an attempt to not wake my partner.
Whistlers Mom
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Several years ago I read this author's first book FREE COUNTRY: A PENNILESS ADVENTURE THE LENGTH OF BRITAIN. I still think it's one of the funniest, most thoughtful books I've ever read. I always meant to check back and see if he had a new one. Now I find he's published four books since then, so I'm a bit behind, but catching up will be no hardship at all. He's simply a wonderful story-teller and that's what counts with me.

To be brutally honest, I don't think this book is as outstanding as FREE
Nina
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
It's always amusing to read a travelogue of an American road trip when it's written from the perspective of a foreigner (British, in this case). Since we do extensive road trips, we've been to most of the places he covered. But he missed a whole lot more unusual and unique places that we could have clued him into. Despite the title about small towns, it seems like most of his descriptions were about cities, national parks, or rural areas (and it sounded like some of the details came from Wikiped ...more
Marian
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cheerfully (mostly) wandering about the States.

I really enjoy Mr. Mahood's books. As with his other books, this one goes along pleasantly and interestingly and then, out of nowhere, he throws in a snarky comment that makes me hoot with laughter. I am a sucker for the unexpected laugh. But it is his willingness to throw himself (and his companions) into unusual situations that makes these books so fascinating. I have recommended all of Mr. Mahood's books, and this one is no exception.
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, readharder2017
If I were starting a trip across the USA, I probably wouldn't start by picking up a Dodge Caravan on its last (uneven) tires, but that's exactly how Mahood and his university buddy begin their trip. This story of his crazy trip across America, first with his university buddy and then his girlfriend, was especially engaging for me, as part of the book recounts Mahood's trip across "America's loneliest highway," a trip my husband and I made several years ago.
Jeffrey B Frey
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What is America?

When the world is fresh and you are unencumbered by fear and doubt it is a good time to go on a grand adventure. Here is a interesting perspective of America from an Englishman. A great read.
truenorth
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I always enjoy travel books and human interest stories. This is a good book on George's travels through the USA and his various experiences. One big positive is that it has no questionable content. I could give it almost four stars.
Shanna Davis
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Funny guys.

The adventures of a couple of guys from England was very entertaining and witty. The impressions our great nation had on these travelers makes me want to pack up the car and hit the road myself. It was light and engaging and a fun read.
Adam Richards
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Loved reading this. Brought back lots of memories of when my wife and i did a similar thing a few years ago. We were bricking it on Angels Landing as well! Another great book from George.
Simon Laking
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A funny account of a great American road trip

A light hearted but quite informative book about a road trip through the real America. Well worth a read if you're thinking of a road trip yourself or just want a fun yet surprisingly informative book.
Mary LeMay
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heartwarming

Good portrayal of small-town U.S., I feel like I've been to most places he visited. Love the people he meets along the way
Patricia
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read

This is the 4th book I've read by George Mahood and this really doesnt dissapoint. Its brilliantly funny all ythe way
D Peterson
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
It's summer. I have 4 teens. The PS4 is getting a workout. So is the Netflix account. (Before you develop an unflattering picture in your mind, they are also running and strength training, and working, and helping around the house, and prepping for next year's classes-- sort of).

While we have all this momentum going, I decided to reach for the stars and suggest we all read a book together-- just like old times, but without so many pictures and a few more words. My suggestion was met with varied
thefourthvine
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s always educational to read a book about the US written by someone not from here; it’s a fascinating look at what other people see and expect and are surprised by. And that’s mostly why this got three stars from me.

The actual book — okay. Books like this, that are the very personal tale of one individual’s trip, have to be funny, beautiful, or informative, or they are just that long dull story you hear from your uncle about that time he went to that place and met those people, those funny p
Beth
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read even though sometimes the author seems to be a bit of an air head.
Patricia Hawn
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Trip of a lifetime!

George purchases a ratty old van and sets out across the USA. I think that this is nonfiction, so I wouldn't say there are plot twists, but a lot of things happen during the trip. His descriptions of the locations are accurate. I've been to Wyoming and can attest that it's almost empty. If you are thinking about hitting the road , this book's for you.
JoeyHatesJazz
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Actually I'd give it 3 1/2 stars. It's not written quite tightly enough for 4, but enjoyable all the same. George is happy to poke fun at himself but over qualifies a tad too much. That said I'm still considering reading a few more of his books.
Gareth Lush
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dull - nothing happens

Confused by some of the previous reviews. Funny? No. The writing is decent but nothing happens in this book. It's just one long monologue about a person's uneventful trip across the USA. Don't know how I made it to the end. Dull....
Angela Beske
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book!!! It came to me via one of Amazon's "$1.99" sales: I read some of the reviews and thought "What do I have to loose?" I was in for such a wonderful ride! I am German, lived in Northern CA for 40 years - always wanted to travel through "Amurrika". This book was written for me!
The Author (and his buddy, going west - girlfriend, going east) mostly travels away from the well beaten paths and spend time with his friends exploring small towns. Sleeps occasionally in $25 Motels (wher
Susan
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by George Mahood. This book gives a lot of insight into what it takes for a foreigner to spend time in the USA. Two guys had plans to do this until one couldn't get his visa so George came on his own. Luckily it didn't take long for Mark to join him. Then the fun begins. They must have had a lot of money to spend months over here just traveling around. But anyway while reading of all their escapades I was also able to rediscover my country. If you haven't done much traveling t ...more
Sarah-Jayne
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As with the other books I've read by George I loved it. We seemingly have similar interests - I've cycled LEJOG although I did it the easy way complete with bicycle, clothes and kit! I've done triathlons, albeit only up to half ironman level so far, but had no support from family or friends who had done one so it was a "working it out as I went along" journey. I'm currently living in NYC - been here 3 years and completely understand all the confusions having travelled round various states as an ...more
Hallie
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While I personally didn't find this book as rip-roaringly funny as other reviewers, I did really enjoy this light read. It was certainly entertaining to hear about the author's road tripping adventures through small town America, but more importantly, he relays the tales of his journey in such a way that really allows you to envision what it's like to drive through the expanses of the US and the widely varying sights and towns you could encounter. For someone for whom the idea of backpacking and ...more
Kristina Harper
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A couple of young Brits come to America, buy a barely running Dodge Caravan they christen Josephine, and hit the road in search of America. Their eight-month journey is full of adventure, big and small, done in the way a lot of us dream about, with only the big picture in mind and the day-to-day left up to each moment’s whims. I am so ready for a road trip after reading this book (although one with more hotels and fewer nights in the car).
Jacquie Jerrard
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is brilliant

George has once again produced a humorous and well written book this one documents his trip with great characters, and place names you can't pronounce, a troublesome van, park rangers, and his apptitude for getting into trouble . This book will appeal to those of us who like George finds travel can be frustrating, but hilarious, loved it thanks George for another good book.
  • A Long Way From Nowhere: A Couple's Journey on the Continental Divide Trail
  • Shave My Spider! A six-month adventure around Borneo, Vietnam, Mongolia, China, Laos and Cambodia
  • Mile 445
  • Best Foot Forward
  • A Lap Around America (A Lap Around...)
  • The Wrong Shade of Yellow
  • No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
  • Two Old Fools in Turmoil
  • No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
  • The Exotic and the Mundane
  • A Kilo of String
  • Ordinary Magic: Promises I Kept to My Mother Through Life, Illness, and a Very Long Walk on the Camino de Santiago
  • The Nepali Flat
  • Adventure North
  • Old Lady on the Trail: Triple Crown at 76
  • Eat, Sleep, Ride
  • Balancing on Blue: A Thru-Hiking Adventure on the Appalachian Trail
  • Life on Foot: A Walk Across America

George Mahood is an award-winning writer. Specifically, he was placed third in the Little Brington Village Fete's limerick competition (Under 10s category) in 1988. It was the same year that Mrs Marriott's legendary fruit loaf was beaten in the WI cake contest for the first time in six years.

George studied Communication Studies and English Literature at Leeds University. After spending a year trav
“In Britain, you could drive 400 miles from London and be fairly deep into Scotland. In America, people drive 400 miles as a diversion. ‘Do” 1 likes
“Kelly’s Island was fabulous. It was still early in the season and there were very few people about. We spent the day riding up and down quiet little lanes and exploring every inch of the island. We visited several beaches, I swam in a disused quarry, we played crazy golf – this time, a more traditional (crap) British style, complete with a windmill that you had to putt through – and we ate many ice-creams. We returned our bikes late afternoon, much to the delight of the tyrannical lady in charge of rentals, and boarded the ferry back to the mainland, before driving to a rest area further along Lake Erie.” 0 likes