Start by marking “Fundamentals of Physics” as Want to Read:
Fundamentals of Physics

Fundamentals of Physics

No other book on the market today can match the success of Halliday, Resnick and Walker's Fundamentals of Physics In a breezy, easy-to-understand style the book offers a solid understanding of fundamental physics concepts, and helps readers apply this conceptual understanding to quantitative problem solving. The extended edition provides coverage of developments in Physics ...more
Hardcover, Extended 6th Edition, 1184 pages
Published July 20th 2000 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Fundamentals of Physics, please sign up.
Neela how can i get to read the book The fundamentals of physics by Halliday Resnik on ipad?

Start your review of Fundamentals of Physics
Laurel Roberts
May 08, 2007 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds
right hand rule #43: if a ball drops sideways from a moving car while moving through a magnetic field at the speed of light, point your pointer finger in the direction of your temple, curl your fingers into your palm, and point your thumb in the +Y direction.
Sandra
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to study under Jearl Walker (of Halliday, Resnick and Walker) and it is great to see his humor surface in an advanced text.
Jaasindah Mir
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wont have added this to my goodreads list here had it not been this beautiful a book. I hate physics but the book makes me love it. Readin it, i came to believe, some gifted physicists writing books make you laugh with their wonderful sense of humor when the subject torments you. I've never read a reference book as magnificent as this one. ...more
Jeremie
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks, science
Good for a survey course in introductory physics. I wouldn't recommend using the text for more than that purpose.

Those with strong mathematical backgrounds would be better served by introductory texts in the respective topics if they are seriously considering physics. Although most institutions will require the survey course regardless of chosen degree path.
Aparajitabasu
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best and the probably the most difficult physics book out there!!!!
Martina
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: undergrad students
Shelves: physics
This was my first real physics textbook ever, so I've refrained from reviewing it, fearing that my nostalgia will could my objective thinking. But the time has come for me to share my thoughts.

I gave Fundamentals of physics 5 stars a long time ago, in the spur of the moment. However, I won't change my mark now, for my feelings haven't changed. It's a great book for a beginner in real physics, for kids who have enrolled in an undergrad physics program and found out the not so pleasant truth: tha
Andrea
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This text changed my life.

A slide-loving pig slides down a certain 35 degree slide (Fig. 6-24) in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 35 degree slide. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the slide?

Note, there is a picture of a pig on a slide to accompany this question.

Never to overlook physics-nerds' unwavering sense of humor, Halliday/Resnick/Walker's text has served as both springboard and dog-eared, always-trusty reminder of why I endeavored
Mariam K
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
am i extra for adding a textbook on here? perhaps. but this is the best book written by anyone ever and i need to appreciate it duly.
Ryan Pennell
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-and-physics
This textbook is extremely impressive when re-reading it. It teaches the student the core elements of physics of course, but it also teaches them how to solve more advanced problems using simple techniques. Even though a freshman (average) is not able to do triple integrals and differential equations, they are still allowed to work on physics problems of that caliber. This text has the ability to simply give you a lot of the math so the student can simply focus on the physics (assuming Algebra, ...more
W
Dec 30, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
I'm not sure if this is the exact book I have but the one I have is terrible!!! (Same cover as this one). The sections are way to short to give you any detailed information. While my professor advised us to skip the sections and go straight to the summary, I learn best by outlining and these sections had nothing of use in them. I'd read the chapter and try to do the homework but the book gave me no clue how to solve any of the problems. I was so disappointed. ...more
Tim
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Based on the date of publication I am pretty sure this is the text I used from 1983-84 for General Physics I and II. Sold and better than other similar texts I saw then or shortly after. It had the added benefit of bringing me together with my first love and much later wife. Few other physics books ever have that attached to them.
Frank
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good, that among Physics undergrads, it is called "the bible". My textbook for first year Physics. Even now, when I want to review something, I first reach for this. If you have high school trig and calculus, you will understand everything in this book. Plenty of excellent questions.
Larry Xu
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It helped me comb through what I have already known and it integrated calculus. The best part is that this book gave me an understanding that physics is about motions of everything. It starts with how regular geometric shaped object moves. Then it applies to electric particles and waves, although those chapters about waves were still a little bit fuzzy to me. Perfect introductory material.
Abdelazeez
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fundamentals of Physics Textbook 10th Edition Book This is equally a work of art and academics!! Whether you like physics or hate it, this is a book you can read whether you're in high school or working in a fancy research lab.
Hridoy Sarkar
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What not to say about this book? I think this is the Bible of physics. If you want to to learn the concepts of physics, this book is must read. However you need to know a little bit of calculus, to have the full in enjoyment reading the book.
Andres Meza
Not the classic i read in college but still has the haliday and resnick touch
Himadri
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Physics books for students in School and to some extent for undergraduates.
Disky Jetmiko
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It really helps me in physics prior from entering the university, very intuitive and colorful
Madhu
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Madhu by: myself
Turned my life around
Behnam Babaeian
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best possible, but the best available source for self study.
Himanshu.14403gmail.Com
Good book
Lou Rocama
This book is highly irritating. The problems require an absurd number of assumptions to solve, and the text contains few examples. The equations are also sparser than I'd expect from a physics book. I transferred schools midway through general physics, and previously used Giancoli. You open that book, and half the page is equations and/or examples. Now I'm referring to it constantly, to figure out WTF this one wants me to do.

An example from physics 1, provided by a member of that class (mildly p
Hans
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book presents physics topics without the history of physics. It is purely physics concepts and physics math. As a introductory physics course textbook, this does its job. But as a book that should offer insight to the importance of physic (in general, even just SCIENCE and the scientific method), this book is dry. If you wanted to calculate some electricity and magnetism problems out, you'll have no problem. Just plug in Maxwell's Equations. But why or how Maxwell's Equations came to be, th ...more
Rakesh
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read a very old version(My Dad's) of this book when I was a kid. The concepts are simple and I still remember reading the problems at the end of chapter for stories.

Preparing for college entrance examinations, I bought a new book and the experience was very different. You will not come across a better book which has so many things to keep you locked in. Physics explained in the way it is supposed to be.
Omaima
May 15, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: math/science students
Shelves: school-related
highly recommended as a helpful reference tool, even if it isn't your assigned textbook. well organized, colorful, and full of good examples. includes an interactive website. it is really good for learning, for those having trouble with physics, and especially for physics majors to go back for reference. ...more
David
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Physics text that got me through University. It contains a section on just about everything, it explains the Maths concepts as gently & thoroughly as it can (particularly good on vectors), but mostly it's written in a formal style that's still incredibly approachable.

Serway is good; HRW is better.
Cool Beans
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you look through the chapters, there are some surprising funny word problems. Beyond that it got the points across well enough for me to understand. The electricity & magnetism sections were really easy for to absorb. I didn’t really read the mechanics portion or quantum portion.

For a textbook...that earns 4/5 to me.
James
Feb 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Physics Majors and otheres curious about physics fundamentals
This book is an excellent reference. At my university the general physics class used "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli (sp?) That was an all right text; however, this one is far superior. ...more
Maralena
Jun 12, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who want to learn physics
As a physics text goes, it's not too bad. I am routinely confounded in lecture and turn to my trusty textbook to get me through exams. The authors have a sense of humor for sure, even if it's the dorky physicist kind of humor. ...more
Annelies
Feb 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wetenschap
I used it in my lectures for bachelor students. The level of the book is quite low, it could have had a little more mathematical derivations. Still, I found the exercises really good and very useful in the classroom.

• Concepts of Physics (Part 1)
  • Chemistry: The Central Science
  • Concepts of Physics (Part 2)
  • Problems In General Physics
  • Calculus: Early Transcendentals
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David Halliday (March 3, 1916 – April 2, 2010) was an American physicist known for his physics textbooks, Physics and Fundamentals of Physics, which he wrote with Robert Resnick. Both textbooks have been in continuous use since 1960 and are available in more than 47 languages.

His Physics has been used widely and is considered to have revolutionized physics education by many. Now in its tenth editi

News & Interviews