Start by marking “Fire from the Mountain” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Fire from the Mountain

Omar Cabezas

Fire from the Mountain

Omar Cabezas put forth his memoir of his time in the FER and the FSLN during the Sandinista revolution in Nicaragua against Somoza's National Guard. He detailed his work in the student movement creating a network of the people and later described what he went through to train and become a guerilla fighter.
Published June 1st 1986 by Plume (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Fire from the Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire from the Mountain

tukanman
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Lei este libro cuando fue recien publicado, aun estaba en la Nicaragua de la revolucion Sandinista. Aun estaba la magia de lo nuevo, lo mistico de la guerrila. Muchas de las experiencia que cuenta Omar en su Memorias ya las habia escuchado yo en boca de la experiencia de otros guerrileros que pelearon en esa sangrienta guerra fraticida, pero que fue necesaria. Ya no queremos otra guerra como esa en Nicaragua, aunque muchos encuentren este relato inspiracional, entretenido, un buen libro, etc,. N ...more
Sebastián Vallejo
si alguna vez usted quiso cambiar el mundo y se perdió en el camino, vale la pena leerlo para recuperar los intangibles de ese querer ser revolucionario
Eleni
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I'm living in Nicaragua and am interested in the time period of the Revolution. I should have challenged myself and tried to read it in the original Spanish because I think it suffered a bit in translation, which made it seem sort of dated at times. (It is written in a post-Molly-Bloom-Yes-I-Said-Yes, Post-Beat, stream-of-consciousness style which also seems old-timey to me but was charming at the same time. Sort of like when you go to a bar decorated to look like someone's l ...more
Sam
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazing story of the transformation from university student to full-fledged guerrilla. Candid recollections. Even if you skip everything else in this book the chapter entitled 'Reasons For Living' is a must-read for anyone interested in how isolation and time itself eventually changes a person. And how a single thing can unravel the final tie to the past, underscoring why we must have a firm belief in a cause or goal to keep from losing ourselves when that umbilical cord is broken.
Diana Abalos
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Outstanding. Extremely well-written, regardless of reader's ideology.
El Bombín
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hermoso. Una crónica a la historia del triunfo del pueblo, un viaje a la guerrilla y un puño cerrado al corazón.
Andrew
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Nicaragua has changed. Last weekend, I visited the northern mountains of Nicaragua. They were quiet. The towns spoke of conservatism and most of the mountains were at least partially deforested with cropland and grazing herds nearly everywhere. Wild wilderness and desperate revolution has been replaced with a certain degree of tranquility, even domesticity.

Omar Cabezas' work is critical in appreciating this transformation and understanding the deep trauma within Nicaraguan society wrought by
Rachel
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Sandinistas, there is no such thing as a grey area. And being an American, especially the type of American inclined to read books about Sandinismo, I initially found Cabezas's overwhelming confidence in the propriety of his actions to be somewhat off-putting. Ultimately, it took me a couple of chapters to get pulled in, but once I found the book's rhythm, I was incredibly moved by Cabezas's account of his clandestine work in the 1970s.

I'm definitely glad I read this book in Spanish, even tho
Gijs Grob
Autobiografisch relaas van Omar Cabezas over zijn tijd als Sandinistisch frontsoldaat in het achterland van Nicaragua, in de jaren zeventig. Er wordt in het boek praktisch niet gevochten, en zelfs de confrontaties met de nationale garde van dictator Somoza zijn schaars. Veeleer gaat het over de ontberingen die hij in de bergen heeft meegemaakt.

Cabezas is opvallend eerlijk en beschrijft met veel kleur alle ellende van zijn bestaan als guerillastrijder. Zijn proza is zeer vertellend, als een enorm
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
Okay, as testimonials go (and I've read most of them from Central and South America). Autobiographical, so I didn't study it in depth, as I did some mediated texts. I did have the opportunity to meet him in Madison, though, and spent an evening in someone's house where he was the invited guest. That was a hilarious night; he's very funny and entertaining (not that you'd know it from the book or its subject matter).
Kusal Perera
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading it. Originally written in Spanish and translated into English, it still carried the beauty of the style of writing Cabezas had written in. Its his life as a student leader turned guerilla fighter that he has written with plenty of personalisation, which gives the writing so much "life". The interest I had in translating it into Sinhala, is yet not extinguished. May do it some sudden day.
Brendan
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: revolution, guerillas, latin america, inspiration
one of the most inspiring memoirs i've ever read. the story of omar cabezas, who leaves a comfortable life as a university student to join the sandinistas and take up arms against a ruthless, despicable u.s. supported dictator (somoza). testament to the fact that no matter what the odds people can overcome. an excellent introduction to the story of the sadinistas and revolution in nicaragua. plenty of great detail about the arduous nature of everyday life for guerillas.
Coti Chemi
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
inspiring!
Renee
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay for a memoir, but I didn't really enjoy it.
Héctor
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book around 20 years ago, yet I remember clearly its humour in relating the life of a Sandinista guerrilla.
Dave
Mar 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marxism
Great! The part where it talks about having leprosy is disgusting, i loved it
Manuel
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book twice..
For sure I will read the English version..

In my opinion this in not about the guerrilla it is about the human transformation, how we can became "el hombre nuevo".

Kobe Bryant
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Being a revolutionary, except for the part where you are hunted down by a superior military force, sounds really cool
Cecilia Z
  • Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun
  • The Memoirs
  • Waslala
  • Margarita, Esta Linda la Mar
  • Silence on the Mountain: Stories of Terror, Betrayal, and Forgetting in Guatemala
  • Kamikaze: A Japanese Pilot's Own Spectacular Story of the Famous Suicide Squadrons
  • Weavers of Revolution: The Yarur Workers and Chile's Road to Socialism
  • The Hinge of Fate (The Second World War, #4)
  • Annapurna South Face: The Classic Account of Survival