Start by marking “Raising the Bottom: Making Mindful Choices in a Drinking Culture” as Want to Read:
Raising the Bottom: Making Mindful Choices in a Drinking Culture

Raising the Bottom: Making Mindful Choices in a Drinking Culture

Have you ever wondered if social drinking has unintended consequences to your health, family, relationships, or your profession? Have you ever thought that losing control of your drinking couldn't happen to you or someone you love? All the women you know are too smart. Too rich. Too kind. Too together. Too much fun. Pick one. We live in a boozy culture, and the idea of wom ...more
Paperback
Published June 20th 2017 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Bottom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Bottom

Angelle Barbazon
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Raising the Bottom, Lisa Boucher writes with pure honesty, sensitivity and last but not least, inspiring strength. Throughout the book, she shows that alcoholism knows no boundaries - a chilling but true fact. Lisa breathes new life into an issue that many people face every day but rarely have the courage to address. But what I love most about this book is that she doesn't just simply talk about the the problems that alcoholism cause, she offers real, actionable solutions. Highly recommended!
JKS Communications
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read! What's refreshing about Lisa's perspective is that she focuses on alcoholism not only in terms of it's personal costs, but also as a systemic and pervasive part of our culture as a whole.
Dawn
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this honest book that humbly characterizes the daily struggles women face, how alcohol is seemingly an easy fix, but while we think it is temporary, it unapologetically creeps up on us, and becomes an addiction. This book begs an unabashed less look at our realities and coping mechanisms.
Mark Rickert
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Raising The Bottom is a well written book that demonstrates we all don't have to hit the depths of despair to claim recovery. It is a unique perspective not talked about much but so vital. I loved the book and highly recommend it to anyone facing the choice of getting their life on track. A must read!!!
Ellie Bea
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book came from the heart. Straightforward, well written & full of truth. I have to say, it made me squirm a little because I found myself able to relate in so many ways. Boucher is correct, our culture is saturated with alcohol and one doesn't realize how easily out of control drinking can impact anyone. I highly recommend Raising the Bottom. I plan to buy copies for both of my adult daughters. Must read for moms!
Marissa DeCuir
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has had close friends who have struggled with alcohol addiction, this book holds a special place in my heart. If you or someone you love is struggling with alcoholism, I highly encourage you to pick up this book!
Emily
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
So many conflicting thoughts about this book. I was looking for the book version of this article (https://qz.com/762868/giving-up-alcoh...) and that is not what I got. I was looking for what the subtitle promises: strategies for making mindful choices in a drinking culture. I was looking for some analysis of the societal pressure surrounding women and alcohol and the unique issues women face with alcohol use.

Instead I got some straight-talk, no-bullshit admonitions to start a 12-step program im
Leslie Jonsson
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book rambles, is not well written, and is like the stories section of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. While any book that is a female take on addiction is needed, it simply does not cover the range of addictions a woman can face, does not cover other addictions prevalent in women, such as the connection between alcoholism and eating disorders. The chapter on how the only people who can help addicts are addicts themselves is offensive to those working in the Addiction field who are no ...more
Breonna Charrell
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book to help with a story that I'm working on. It was so exciting to find a book that dealt with alcoholism and recovery from the perspective of multiple women and I couldn't wait to get started. I was pretty disappointed that most of the book was on Lisa's perspective and only had small passages about her and her mother's story of dealing with alcoholism and recovery. It wasn't until page 178 that the book really started getting into the stories of 10 women.

I honestly feel tha
Catherine Townsend-Lyon
Author, Lisa Boucher has done justice to women who indulge in our "drinking culture" as Lisa puts it. But many women don't understand that even enjoying a few glasses of wine or whatever your fav cocktail may be can become life interfering and making life unmanageable when they realize they may have crossed a line into problem drinking.

Lisa does a fantastic job in making alcoholism serious business in a "no sugar coat" but fun and witty way. The stories are amazing and I love her writing style a
Alissa
Oct 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Very disappointed with this book. The title suggest that it helps you make mindful choices about drinking but I am on page 145 and have yet to come across anything that would help me make a mindful choice. Instead I am inundated with decrees to join Alcoholics Anonymous (whether I am an alcoholic or not). Alcoholics Anonymous IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO STOP DRINKING. I believe the author is doing a great disservice to women (and people in general) by portraying that it is. The Holier-Than-Thou tone ...more
Melanie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an insightful discussion of addiction. If you or someone you love struggles with it, you’ll find hope, empathy, and coping tools in this book. The stories of these women are each uniquely their own, yet the common thread of addiction has similarly wounded them and their families. I would recommend this book to loved ones of an alcoholic who want to learn more about addiction. I gave it four stars vs. five because it didn’t wrap things up well (ended abruptly). Otherwise, the author has d ...more
Aaron T.
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My sister turned me on to this book after a recent break up with my GF. I'm not a big reader other than sports book but the break up came as a shock. She loved her wine. I doubt she would want to hear the truth about her drinking. We had a long-term relationship, but I see how alcohol was also part of it all. I understand so much more now about what happened. Boucher talked about how alcohol can lead to the demise of relationships. I wish I would've come across Raising the Bottom 10 or 12 years ...more
Blaine Morrow
Boucher presents a way out for anyone (though aimed at females) who may have a drinking or substance abuse problem. Her personal experiences, those of her mother and several others, and the accumulated wisdom of Alcoholics Anonymous provide hope and direction to readers seeking personal change.
Karen Caswell

Feb 27, 2018
Maria Caico
Sep 26, 2017
Sasha
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2017
Karen Hill
Feb 08, 2018
Kathryn Taylor
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Informative, necessary and enlightening!
Alison Lemberg
Aug 11, 2017
Meg
Apr 10, 2018
Helping Others 1 1 May 20, 2018 05:58AM
  • One Light Still Shines: My Life Beyond the Shadow of the Amish Schoolhouse Shooting
  • The Home-Based Bookstore: Start Your Own Business Selling Used Books on Amazon, Ebay or Your Own Web Site
  • The Bonne Femme Cookbook: Simple, Splendid Food That French Women Cook Every Day
  • The Anxiety Journal: Exercises to soothe stress and eliminate anxiety wherever you are
  • The Mindfulness Workbook for Anxiety: The 8-Week Solution to Help You Manage Anxiety, Worry & Stress
  • What to Wear for the Rest of Your Life: Ageless Secrets of Style
  • How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything: A Workbook
  • The Tiny Book of Tiny Pleasures
  • The 30-Day Sobriety Solution: How to Cut Back or Quit Drinking in the Privacy of Your Own Home
  • Grow a Little Fruit Tree: Simple Pruning Techniques for Small-Space, Easy-Harvest Fruit Trees
  • Crave: A Memoir of Food and Longing
  • Be My Wolff
  • Wabi-Sabi Welcome: Learning to Embrace the Imperfect and Entertain with Thoughtfulness and Ease
  • When I Spoke in Tongues: A Story of Faith and Its Loss