Start by marking “Wyoming Stories” as Want to Read:
Wyoming Stories

Wyoming Stories

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx's mesmerising stories inspired by the harsh and unforgiving landscape of Wyoming are gathered together for the first time in one beautiful and collectable volume. On the heels of last year's mesmerising film adaptation of 'Brokeback Mountain' comes this beautiful, single volume collection of Annie Proulx's celebrated Wyoming stori ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Harper Perennial (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wyoming Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyoming Stories

Mike Goldstein
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is some next level shit. Beautifully written, sad, menacing, funny, everything. Some of the best.
Sean Morrow
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
There might be some happy people in Wyoming, but they sure aren't in this book. Proulx does an excellent job of conveying what it's like to live life impoverished in rural Wyoming. However, most of the stories aren't really narratives so much as rambling descriptions of people's lives that abruptly end, seemingly whenever Proulx gets tired of writing about them.
Lesley
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although it's set in the same landscape, the stories are very different. It was interesting too to read the original Brokeback Mountain short story. An excellent collection.
Mona
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
TITLE: Close Range: Wyoming Stories
WHY I CHOSE THIS BOOK: It is a National Book Award Winner
REVIEW: My enjoyment of the stories in this book was uneven. Some seemed bizarre and pointless. Some were quirky but had heart. A lot of characters short on talk or looking at their feelings. Lives full of struggle and hardship wrought from outside and what they do to themselves and others. Women clearly do not fair well, if more important than cattte then barely so. This collection includes Brokeback Mou
Kathy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love the gritty, humorous style of this author! I've read her stuff before (though I would need to re-read to remember) - and knew that I loved her. Yep - this is great and I didn't want it to end.

I was surprised that "Brokeback Mountain" was the final story in the collection - had no idea she had written it.

Let me just say that I have zero interest in rodeos, westerns, etc. - which comprises a good share of this book. The fact that I loved it in spite of the subject material says a
Adrian Santiago
Lets put it simple, when the autor does not make "cowboys" about boots, horses and manliness she can write awesome stories.

When she writes about same-sex sex, death, poorness and life struggle the stories are actually pretty good. Yeah, no doubt Breakback Mountain is the best of them all.
Barbra Ann
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: struggle
You cannot praise the writing of Annie Proulx enough . . . a must-read for all college literature classes in American 20th/21st century literature. Love loved loved every word.
Nancy Wilson
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
harsh lives portrayed for animals and people.
Tracey
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
adult fiction; stories/modern Wyoming.
Margie Kuzminski
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wish I liked this book more -- a Wyoming version of Flannery O'Connor. A lot of ranch jargon made it hard to create a mental landscape, even though I felt pretty familiar with the geographical one.
Hollis Queens
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliance is sometimes difficult to read, but once you understand the language Proulx writes with, it becomes easier to find yourself immersed in her prose. If you get stuck, or don't understand something, you can always look up a few scholarly articles online, and when you read it a second time, you'll get it. Each story is like a town you get to on a road trip through the stark West. Better pad your saddle, because it is going to be a rough ride!
Shirley
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Proulx is an incredible talent in capturing dialect and nuance along with the culture of an area. Each of her stories reflects the location, and in this book the stories are funny, sad, predictable,surprising, and true to life. Very enjoyable. When I picked it up, I didn't realize Brokeback Mountain was written by her as a short story. I can see how they could take these 30 pages so vividly written and turn it into the blockbuster that it was.
Deanna Anderson
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It reminded me of growing up in Colorado ranch country although Wyoming is much more harsh. The stories illuminate the human propensity to try and live a certain kind of life no matter how difficult or inappropriate that life is in a given environment. Wyoming is no place for cattle and barely fit for humans, yet wild and beautiful, just like the stories.
Neil
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
As with so many short story collections, something of a mixed bag. Her writing is exquisite but these short pieces are more like windows into characters' lives than actual stories. The famous one in this collection is the original Brokeback Mountain short, which surprised me by being slighter and more sexually graphic than the Oscar-winning movie.
Eleazar Herrera
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autoras, western
Pensaba que había incluido ya este libro en GR. Es UNA PASADA. Mierda de la buena. Empieza con el relato de Brokeback Mountain, que es precioso y jodidísimo, y sigue con otras historias por lo menos igual de buenas. En serio, lo recomiendo muchísimo.
Heleen
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Prachtige stijl van schrijven, die bijzondere vergelijkingen, die beschrijvingen van mensen in het harde bestaan met het harde klimaat. Alleen het allerbelangrijkste wordt opgeschreven. Liefde, tederheid, warmte, aandacht ontbreken al hunkert er men wel naar.
Beth
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Had to read "Brokeback Mountain" for a book club, but decided to read some other stories too. This would not make a good Welcome to Wyoming required read for new residents, but it is great.
Howard
Feb 14, 2012 added it
An great collection
Mat Weddle
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I particularly liked The Mud Below, Brokeback Mountain, and Job History. I really like the way she writes but man, these stories are just brutal. Makes me appreciate my easy life!
Nicola
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just love Annie Proulx's gritty short stories. The names are outlandish, the dirt and dashed dreams are palpable, and the stories are mesmerising. I'd rate this 10 if I could.
Mckinley
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Seems like real Wyoming to me.
Janine
Mar 18, 2012 rated it liked it
To be read with Texan drawl...loved it - short stores set in the mid-west - dry, isolated, people act different out there... the environment affects their relationships.
Theresa
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is--Wow!
These stories are from a different planet.
Charlene
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All heartbreaking stories. Brokeback Mountain deserved all the acclaim it received. Proulx's words hypnotize you and the stories shake you.
Perisher

• The Self Made Tapestry: Pattern Formation in Nature
  • Hunting for Hope: A Father's Journeys
  • The Art of Seeing Things
  • Loot and Other Stories
  • Omega's Destiny (Lost Wolves #3)
  • Heart Mountain
  • Anton Chekhov
  • Another Turn of the Crank
  • The Unexpected Universe
  • Sonny Liston was a Friend of Mine
  • The Geography of Childhood
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • Hope, Human and Wild: True Stories of Living Lightly on the Earth
  • Day Out of Days
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c