Start by marking “Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Indigo's Star (Casson Family, #2)

Indigo's Star

(Casson Family #2)

It's back to school for the start of a new term, and the eccentric Cassons are up to their old tricks!

Indigo, having just recovered from a bout of mononucleosis, must return to school after missing an entire semester. Only his younger sister and loyal sidekick, Rose, knows why he's dreading it so much. As it turns out, the school bullies are eagerly awaiting Indigo's retur
Unknown Binding, 244 pages
Published September 18th 2003 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Indigo's Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indigo's Star

L.H. Johnson
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in the Casson Family series by Hilary McKay. It reads well as a standalone (an understatement, it reads perfectly and joyously and richly, like the best slice of cake at the best possible time on the best possible day) but treat yourself and read the others. It has been too long since I read these books and I have reserved them all at the library to wallow in on a rainy day. Or a sunny day. Any day, really, for these books are worth cancelling worlds for.

Indigo's Star focuses
Genevieve
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book about the Casson family (after Saffy's Angel). I have a particular fondness for stories about siblings who have their own subculture and societal structure(e.g. Half Magic, Little Women, The Penderwicks, Terrible Horrible Edie). This one is especially good. It manages to address so many themes that are dear to me(the difficulties and delights of being eccentric, the tyranny of schoolyard bullies, the importance of being kind to the underdog, family love and loyalty)in a w ...more
Beth
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Rose graduates from notes to letters in Indigo's Star, and it's equally hilarious.

That said, I enjoyed this book less than Saffy's Angel. I still liked it a lot, and it made me laugh out loud quite a few times, but it's a much clearer precursor to Binny for Short. There were very similar plot elements, and the overlap was disconcerting. There were some decidedly hazy details, too: did Eve and Bill really get divorced without telling Rose - or was Samantha a not-very-funny joke? How old is Dere
TheBookSmugglers
Indigo’s Star is the second book in the Casson family series and is more of a companion novel than a proper sequel to Saffy’s Angel – although it could be read as stand-alone but to do so would deprive you of the delights of that first book. Believe me: you don’t want that to happen.

This particular entry focuses on Indigo, the sole boy in the family as he is about to go back to school after a long illness. It soon emerges that before getting ill, Indigo was being bullied at school. Only his youn
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
While not as laugh-out-loud hilarious as the first book, this is a great follow-up to Saffy's Angel. Indigo is the quiet child of the family, the one with the most (any) reserve. It's no surprise, then, that he has difficulties with bullies at school. Indigo's classmates form the backdrop to the story, but I was glad to find that they weren't its heart.

The story picks up with Indigo returning to school after an extended convalescence. While the bullies reassert themselves, we meet Tom--a new kid
Mr
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book for older children or younger teens about the delightful and disorganised Casson family. Indigo has been off school for some time with glandular fever, and although he is now recovered he doesn't want to go back to school at all, because he has been badly bullied. However, at last he must return... and to his surprise he meets a new boy, Tom, who does not seem to be worried by the bullies...

The story isn't just about school, or about bullying, however. There's an underlying thread about
Felicity
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I read the first book of this series a long time ago so I was concerned I had forgotten what had happened and who the characters were. Actually I didn't need to worry. This book does a tiny bit of re-capping but also stands alone very well.

Indigo has had glandular fever and is going back to school for the first time for a term. He is dreading it and only Rose his younger sister knows it's because of a gang of bullies. But Indigo meets Tom who is new in his year which changes everything. Saffy an
Mireille Duval
I liked this one better than Saffy's Angel, though I reallyyy wasn't sure in the beginning. (Bullying stories are the worst! It's hard enough that bullying exists, do I have to read about it.) But the found family is so great in this book. Sarah's always around, and Michael, and Derek, and plenty of Caddy's boyfriends, and Tom. I liked Tom a lot and I liked his friendship (reluctant at first!) with Rose. It made me enjoy Rose much more than in the previous book, and I am contemplating the next o ...more
Katie
Five stars might be a bit much, but I'm just enjoying these books SO MUCH. I was originally saving this for Saturday, but I ended up starting it last night (Friday) because I needed something wonderful after finishing the okay-ish Honor's Knight.

Having read my friends's reviews, yes, I can see how Rose takes over. (I still like her a fair amount. I really liked her friendship with Tom. More so than Tom and Indigo's friendship, really.)

The parents, Bill especially, are not so great. (view spoiler
Kristi
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a little worried at the start that i wouldn't be able to handle the family situation, just due to being sensitive right now. But the author didn't go deep enough to make it hurt too much.
The book was more about "Rose" and her anger and her constant trying to bring her father home and make them a family. Instead he misinterpets everything, even when he does return he doesn't stay. and I could be misquoting but it seemed to me that Rose was saying often "He was bad and he was good" and tha
Brianne
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Actual rating: 6/5 stars because this book is perfect.

I had two other books on the go when I started Indigo's Star, and yet I finished Indigo's Star first because I couldn't put it down. Saffy's Angel was great, but I find Saffy to be the least interesting Casson child, and spending this novel with Indigo and Rose was a treat.

I felt like an honourary member of the Casson family as I read. I laughed out loud with them, I was angry for them, and I cried on their behalf.

Again, this book is perfec
Owen
I preferred this book to its predecessor Saffy's Angel. The story is messier in a life-like way: like Rose's painting, it revolves around the changing relationships between family members.
Carissa
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, at the beginning of reading this book, I thought it had no point. I was confused if what the point was, and where they were taking it. I had a deep feelings that Tom was a main character, but I brushed him off. As soon as they started talking about him more, I finally discovered that he had more of a point in the book. Because of that, it was sort of confusing at first, for I have for I have not read Saffy's Angel before this. But, l enjoyed this book, and decided to give t a shot ...more
Pyrate Queen
Indigo Casson, the third of four Casson children, stars in this sequel to Saffy's Angel (2002). Having just returned to school from a month-long illness, Indigo befriends an American student who has become the target of the school bully, a position once held by Indigo.

Characters: Caddie- in college
Saffy- 13 or 14
Indigo- 11
Rose- 8

Sarah- friend of Saffy's /disabled/confined to a wheelchair
Tom- American friend/plays the guitar

Eve- mom/artist
Bill- father/ artist/ lives in London

Question: Why would t
Juniper Shore
McKay has written a number of books about the Casson family, and Indigo's character has always seemed the least developed, possibly because the author is less sure about how to handle a boy's voice. Unlike his sisters, Indigo never seems to have a personality of his own. it's nice to see him get a book to himself, but even here he serves more as a foil for Tom and Rose than the star of his own story.

This is a low-key coming of age story. There are no great battles or life-and-death decisions, bu
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is better than the first and I absolutely love this family, the writing and how lovely and softly Hilary McKay writes about tough topics, such as missing someone, dealing with a parents divorce and bullying.
Esse é melhor que o primeiro e eu amo demais essa família, a escrita e o quão adorável e suave é a escrita fe Hilary McKay quando ela escreve sobre assuntos difíceis como sentir saudades de alguém, lidar com o divórcio dos pais e bullying.
Peri
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

I liked this book, but not as much as some of the other ones in the series.
Also, my brother actually explained to me why it's CALLED "Indigo's Star", it's because (this isn't really a spoiler but you might not want to read it anyway) Indigo wished on all those airplanes like they were stars, and stuff, and an airplane brought Tom. Or something like that.

Heather
I read the series out of order, so I knew the basic plot elements of this volume ahead of time. However, it was still a fun experience to read and enjoy all of the cosy and humorous details. My favorite parts are probably Rose’s “scary” letters to her dad, and her dad’s responses.
Craig
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened. So, so good.
Elsabet
It's really a 2.5, but I really like Hilary McKay's writing style, so I rounded it up.
Charmayne Davies
Really good book. Everything about Tom changes. On the outside, Tom is some bored kid that doesn't care but once you get to know his story, he has a reason behind it all.
Diane
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bullying, families
Indigo faces his bullies with the new American kid Jim

Love this series with its quirky characters.
Aarifa
MEH
Ash
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish we knew more about what happened with Bill and Eve, and when. But it is a kids book so I guess it’s not important? Reminded me a lot of meeting my best friend and then moving home to the UK.
Abigail
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as awesome, funny and sweet as the first 2 books. I love the Casson family!
Natasha
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this authors writing style.It detailed the trials of childhood well especially bullying
Chris
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j, humor, life, not-graphic
I would guess I'm hardly unique when I say I love the Casson family. Saffy's Angel surprised and delighted me, and this follow-up improves on it, if anything. Quirky, loving, artistic, and genuine characters with great family dynamics. I'm immediately putting a hold on the next one.

-----

"There are all sorts of families," Tom's grandmother had remarked, and over the following few weeks Tom became part of the Casson family, as Michael and Sarah and Derek-from-the-camp had done before him.

He immedi
Katja
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s new in the Casson family? Well, Indigo is finally better after being sick for a long time, so he has to go back to school and face the bullies. Fortunately he meets a new friend, an American boy called Tom, who plays the guitar, loves climbing on top of buildings and refuses to speak about his new family. Rose, the youngest in the Casson family, refuses to wear glasses and she simply adores Indigo’s new friend (though she tries to deny it). Saffy and her friend Sarah want to protect Indig ...more
Lindsay M.
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Indigo’s Star is an amazing book with touching family experiences. It is a book about a boy named Indigo who got bullied in his years of school. He got mononucleosis, and had to recover from it. He went back to school after missing an entire semester of school. Bullies at his school are waiting for Indigo to come back to school to torture Indigo some more. They want to pick up where they left off, flushing his head down the toilet. The book’s genre is realistic fiction. Indigo being bul ...more
  • Everybody Bugs Out
  • Rising Star (Fame School, #2)
  • Straydog
  • Making Waves (Angels Unlimited, #7)
  • Here Today
  • Julia Gillian And the Quest for Joy
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • Ordinary Jack (The Bagthorpe Saga, #1)
  • Squashed
  • Solving Zoe
  • Class Favorite
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • Never Mind!: A Twin Novel
  • The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place
  • Bindi Babes (Bindi Babes, #1)
  • Majix: Notes from a Serious Teen Witch
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (The Penderwicks, #2)
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
Hilary McKay was born in Boston, Lincolnshire and is the eldest of four girls. From a very early age she read voraciously and grew up in a household of readers. Hilary says of herself as a child "I anaesthetised myself against the big bad world with large doses of literature. The local library was as familiar to me as my own home."

After reading Botany and Zoology at St. Andrew's University Hilary

Casson Family (6 books)
  • Caddy's World (Casson Family, #0)
  • Saffy's Angel (Casson Family, #1)
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Caddy Ever After (Casson Family, #4)
  • Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
“Rose had the sort of eyes that manage perfectly well with things close by, but entirely blur out things far away. Because of this even the brightest stars had only appeared as silvery smudges in the darkness. In all her life, Rose had never properly seen a star.
Tonight there was a sky full.
Rose looked up, and it was like walking into a dark room and someone switching on the universe.”
21 likes
“Is this your holiday homework?" asked Sarah. "Don't do it, Rose! And Eve will write you a note to say it's iniquitous to give eight-year-olds homework. You will, won't you, Eve?"
"I could never spell 'iniquitous,' Sarah darling!"
"Hot concrete," said Rose mournfully, prodding her porridge.
"Write this," ordered Saffron. "'The ancient Egyptians are all dead. Their days are very quiet.' Porridge is meant to look like hot concrete. Eat it up.... Read the next question!"...
"What would you say if you bumped into Tutankhamen in the street?"
"'Sorry!'" said Sarah at once. "Put that."
"We have to answer in proper sentences."
"'Sorry, but it was your fault! You were walking sideways!”
20 likes