Start by marking “Mr. Murder” as Want to Read:
Mr. Murder

Mr. Murder

Martin Stillwater has a vivid imagination. It charms his loving wife, delights his two little daughters, and gives him all the inspiration he needs to write his highly successful mystery novels. But maybe Martin’s imagination is a bit too vivid… One rainy afternoon, a terrifying incident makes him question his grip on reality. A stranger breaks into his house, accusing Mar ...more
Published July 5th 2006 by Berkley (first published 1993)

Start your review of Mr. Murder
Alejandro
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supratim
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I found this novel in a second hand book shop. The title, the blurb and the fact that the protagonist is a mystery novelist piqued my interest. I love mysteries which has some mystery writer in it. :)

Please allow me to introduce you to Martin Stillwater. He is a mystery writer who has started to achieve fame and success. He leads a near perfect life with his psychologist wife Paige and two daughters, Emily and Charlotte. All of a sudden Martin starts to experience blackouts and senses a weird ki
Karl Marberger
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written, entertaining suspense. The bad guy has a similar character dynamic to the Monster in Frankenstein.
Kalin
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kalin by: Атанас Славов
Originally, this was going to be a 4-star, "really liked it" rating, but the fourth star got gagged and snatched by the savage climax and the escapist, devil-may-care resolution. Most other parts I enjoyed a lot, as the following highlights will show:

~ Atanas Slavov recommended this book to me in my perennial quest for inspiring couples in literature or art as a whole. I can already see why:

That he loved her more now than when they had met in college was no surprise. The triumphs and failures th
Maciek
Reading this book made me remember just how much Koontz rehashes. There is nothing original in this book - black and white characters, government conspiracy, etc. If there were no secret organizations DK would be out of job. And how many times did a Koontz novel feature a heroic couple running away from an evil adversary?

All of this is embroidered by his "subtle" ideology (the god guy is a writer, the bad guy despises the written word). Apparently in Koontz's school of philosophy having a beaut
Phrynne
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dean Koontz at his best. I'm giving this book full marks for the suspense - sitting on the edge of your chair, holding your breath type suspense.And he can keep it going at the same terrifying level for whole chapters! Wow! I have seen a few criticisms of the ending, maybe because the book does not end at the climax but instead spends a few quiet pages letting the reader get their breath back and wrapping up all the loose ends. I liked that myself. One I would certainly recommend to readers of t ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For the main character of this novel, his talent gets the better of him in the form of a homicidal imaginary friend that stalks him and threatens his family. Suspenseful, eerie and original, Mr. Murder is a frightening horror thriller about the power of words on a page.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dean Koontz fans who liked Relentless
2015 Update: While I still enjoyed the story, I did drop the rating one star and this would not be #6 in my favorite Dean Koontz ranking - that was clearly my evil twin talking.

I read Mr. Murder as a mini-group read in the Koontzland - Dean Koontz group. While the ending could have been better, the story and mystery was plenty intriguing for me - intriguing enough that I'm ranking this at #6 in my list of Dean Koontz favorites. Mr. Murder wasn't quite good enough to make it into my top 5, but h
Carlotta
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Carlotta by: gift given to me
This book was given to me as a gift for my birthday by my boyfriend so I love that he gave it to me. However, Mr. Koontz could have written this story in half the pages. He spent more time beating the same jokes to death, describing nothing of interest, and repeating characteristics of his characters. The story could have been more interesting, regardless of how much it reminded me of some of his other works, if he had cut out about half of the pages. The book felt to me like he had a page quota ...more
Chris
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
WOW! Once I got hooked, I couldn't wait to see what happened next! A genetically engineered assassin, Alfie, inexplicably goes rogue. He begins to have a driving need to be someone other than a robotic individual without a past or real connections in the present. This "mutation" brings to fore a previously unknown magnetic ability to connect & track a specific person.

The other M.C. Martin Stillwater, a mystery writer, is innocently living his life with his family when he begins to have fugue ep
Beth
May 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
I had been getting bored with Dean Koontz in recent years (except for the Frankenstein books,) but picking this one up at a book fair has restored my faith. I haven't been this scared - the kind of scared where you're skimming pages in an effort to find relief and know you shouldn't be reading the book after dark - in years. And it's always refreshing when you can't figure out the ending until the end. Good stuff.
Mary JL
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of mystery, horror or SF
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: mystery-horror
When a disturbed stranger invades his home, accusing Martin Stillwater of stealing his wife, his children his identity, Martin is shocked and startled.

Since the real Martin Stillwater is a write of mystery and horror novels, the police are going on the theory that this is a publicity stunt to Martin to sell more books.

Unwilling to risk his family's lives due to police inaction, Martin takes his wife Paige, and ther young daughters Charlotte and Emily and flees for his life. The mysterious intrud
Beth
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
My very first Dean Koontz book, Mr. Murder is an intersting suspense-thriller about a successful novelist who has his life turned upside down when a man (who looks exactly like him) shows up to steal his life (the double thinks the novelist stole his life to begin with). It's quite intriguing and full of major twists that have you wondering where Koontz got his imagination.
Rebecca Alston
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
BORING! I liked the plot but the storytelling just bored me. I wanted to quit listening but I wanted to see how it ended. Total disappointment! This is the first Koontz book I've read and I doubt I will seek any more. I expected much more from such a popular author.
Brandy
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5/5 Stars!!! I loved this book.It was suspensful,with strong Characters!!
Cody Maxie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this book has an average of only 3.63!

Let me start off by saying what I loved about the book:

The writing was A+, everything was clear and I really enjoyed how he would really get the individual opinions down, like with Dean and his hatred for Star Trek.

The characters themselves got me engaged more deeply into the story and caring about their well being, another A+

The story, Oh man the story! You know how in some books you can kind of see what's going to happen at certain points
D
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good suspenseful read
I read this book for the first time in ten years. I literally read it in two days straight. Talk about a page turner!

Marty Stillwater is a writer of mystery novels. He has a lovely wife called Paige, two adorable little girls, Charlotte, who's nine and Emily who is seven. Everything is good in his life.

Until one day he walks in to find an intruder in his house. An intruder who claims Marty has stolen his life. And the intruder wants it back. Everything. including his wife and kids.

What follow
Ron
Lorna
Jun 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible. This book is too similar to other books Koontz wrote. He just traded names of characters and settings.

The main character is a slightly inept writer with a saintly wife and too-smart-for-their-age daughters who are there for the cute factor. Of course they are all pursued by a psycho.

If you want to relive the memories of other Koontz novels, then you may like Mr. Murder. If you want something new and refreshing, then stay away. Far away.

Nora aka Diva
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Weird, freaky, suspenseful and fun to read is the best description I can give this novel. From beginning to end you won't want to put it down.
Wendy Lohr
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This review can also be found on my blog, The Never-Ending TBR Pile: https://wendylohr.wordpress.com/2020/...

Intense. Surreal. Suspenseful.

Dean Koontz never fails to leave me mentally wrung out at the end of his books and Mr. Murder is no different. It took me quite a while to work my way through this book just because I had to keep putting it down in order to mentally prepare myself for the next block of reading time. And I enjoyed every minute of it!

The pure chaos and confusion of encounterin
Edwina Callan
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2017, bookcrossing
Hubby and I listened to this during the long ride to visit Arlington & the Washington, D.C. area.
What a complete and utter thrill it was for an avid reader, like myself, to watch my non-reader husband get thoroughly sucked into this book and then want to spend time discussing it during meals and when we would stop for the night at a motel. That alone would have earned this book 5 stars but the way the author word-weaved his web, slowly ... oh-so-slowly ... increasing the tension was pure literar
Tgordon
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast moving and trilling as always with Koontz. I’m not a fan of supernatural and the other so sometimes I find him hard to read but this was not as bad as that. It had mostly normal family being stalked by a really lot normal being because he wanted to be the head of that house. Why does this thing think he’s the head of this house? Read and have fun.
Chris Snider
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, never had any slow points to it. Great story and every scene kept you interested. The characters are lovable and relatable. I had intended to give this 4 stars, but a nice little twist at the end I thought COULD happen, but wasn't sure, actually did. I literally yelled out "I knew it!"
Holly (spoopyhol)
Author Martin Stillwater’s life couldn’t be more perfect. He has a wife, two beautiful daughters and his novels are achieving success. So why does he feel such dread, experience sudden black outs?

The killer doesn’t know his name, only the name he uses. He has no family, no friends, no home. He cannot recall who gives him his assignments, and he doesn’t know why his targets must die. But he’s reached a turning point, he needs to be somebody. A life awaits him in a town he can’t yet envision.

I re
Jessica
Marty is somehow linked to a murdering look-alike. The look-alike manages to track Marty down through a People magazine article on Marty, who they deem "Mr. Murder" because of his novels.

There are a few things in this book that mirror some of Koontz's other novels, which made it a little difficult for me to read. I only marginally cared for Marty and Paige, even though I loved their two daughters. I was annoyed by the look-alike, who seemed to be more of a pest than anything else (but a murderin
Maicie
Oct 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Karen B.
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Every time I read a Koontz book I am entranced again. This was a little dry in the very beginning but once the Stillwells were on the run the suspense kept building. Marty's look-alike is determined that Martin Stillwell has stolen his life, his family and he wants it all back ...at first. Then he is convinced that they are all "false" people, like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and decides he has to get rid of them. Marty's look alike named Alfie is a highly trained assassin. At the end of th ...more
Krissy
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Koontz is one of those authors that I can't seem to stop reading even though I really don't enjoy his writing style. He is just way too wordy for my taste. He can make a 400 page book feel like it's 900 pages. But for some reason I think if I keep trying to read his stuff I'll stumble upon a book that I love and it will all fall into place and explain why he is so popular. So I doubt this will be my last Koontz book. I'm still searching for that one book.
Corey
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This is the first book by Dean Koontz that I've read, and since I finished it he's gotta be my most favorite author. I really like his imagination and his writing style. The book character's were interesting and the story gets better as you get further into it. If you're a Koontz fan or like suspense or horror novels, you'll like this.
The Challenge Fac...: Samantha & Krissy - Mr. Murder 18 14 Feb 16, 2016 09:12AM
Koontzland - Dean...: Mr. Murder (Group Read - May 2015) 64 36 Jun 01, 2015 10:46PM
Koontzland - Dean...: Mr. Murder (Group Read - March 2012) 51 90 Apr 05, 2015 05:14PM
Connection Between Alfie & Martin 1 13 Sep 02, 2013 12:31PM

• Shadowfires
  • The Eyes of Darkness
  • Chase
  • Relentless
  • 77 Shadow Street (Pendleton, #1)
  • Shadows
  • Surrounded (Mike Tucker, #2)
  • Bag of Bones