Start by marking “The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy” as Want to Read:
The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy

The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy (Hannibal Lecter #1-3)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  759 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Red Dragon, The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal - the three international bestsellers that provided literature with one of its most memorable characters - now available in one volume.
Published November 3rd 2005 by William Heinemann Ltd. (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hannibal Lecter Trilogy

*TANYA*
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Fantastic series, one of my all time favorites.
Christine
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I first stumbled upon Red Dragon at age 14, and was amazed by it all. I had never read anything even remotely similar. In fact, the closest I had come was King's Carrie. It was my gateway into the world of psychological thrillers, and at this point I simply cannot turn back. Harris did an excellent job in capturing the horrific and violent genius that is Dr. Hannibal Lecter. The movie adaptations, in all honesty, did no justice, and that is why I recommend the quartet of books in even higher reg ...more
Asmara
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like good black coffee, the perfectly good villain is a creature hard to define and even harder to find. Fortunately, in the hands of the good Dr Hannibal Lecter, we're perfectly taken care of.

For the purpose of this discussion, we're going to forget the films and TV show: fans of horror are purists in matters of the heart and Dr Lecter is very, very close to our collective hearts.

When you look at the books sequentially, there is a marked progression of Thomas Harris's interest in Hannibal as a
Roy
May 26, 2010 added it
Man I'm not even worried about grammar besides implying that this book is phenomenal. There's a certain unique quality that singles out this book; including that once you have seen the movie you will relate from the movie to the book. It sets your mind in that kind of era.
Mary Baldwin
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having watched the Movies 'Hannibal' and 'SotL' many years ago, I had forgotten most if not all of the plot. I read the three books back to back which is probably the longest run of fiction I've done in a while.

Red Dragon is my favourite of the trilogy, followed by Silence of the Lambs and finally Hannibal.

The characterisation and procedural elements to the story are first rate, but by the time the plot hits Italy in Hannibal, it becomes more of. rushed commentary.

Perhaps I would rate it more hi
Devon Green
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I freaking love these books. One of the few mystery authors I will re-read again and again. Harris is a masterful writer, with perfect descriptors, a delicious "villian", and a true gift for language. Pretty much perfect thrillers, all three. And Brian Cox plays him pitch-perfect with all his charm and swagger in the original movie. Gimme his charm and swagger any day.
Mike MacConnell
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. This is a must read for fans of the one and only Hannibal Lecter. My personal favorite is Silence of The Lambs; Hannibal's passages in said story are particularly creepy, and it'll keep you hooked, wanting more. If you like your horror stories with a brain (as well as heart, lungs, and earlobes) you'll enjoy this collection.
Ann Barlow
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was traveling. It must have been 20 years ago or not far off.

It scared the living daylights out of me. So much so that I put a chair against my hotel door room.

It was a brilliant read, the character and the plot was so believable and the pace was excellent.

I could not put it down (scared as I was) until I finished.

Kaarmin
Feb 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read all three out of order (First Hannibal, then Red Dragon, then Silence of the Lambs). When I started reading them, the only movie I saw was Silence of the Lambs. All three were much better than the movies, especially Hannibal. The movie leaves out many important parts, incluing Mason Verger's sister. Eventhough Silence is in my Top 5 fav movies of all time, the book is slightly better.
Jerome Pandell
Jun 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Of this trilogy,

-both movie adaptations of RED DRAGON are far inferior to the book;

- SILENCE OF THE LAMBS the movie is better than the book; and

- HANNIBAL the book looks like craven commercialism when one sees the movie.
Kendra
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
all three as a whole were worth the time. this does not included hannibal rising, and i wouldn't waste my breathe on it, written after the movie wrapped. enough said. the original trilogy out does all of the movies, except "lambs" of course.
Kathryn
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Can't give these book enough praise - you'll just have to read them for yourself.

~For anyone who is deterred by assuming it's full of "gore", etc. - It's actually not like that at all, the books are intelligent, descriptive, and very 'human'...
Bruno Gagnon
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Never seen the movie, never will; how violent this story was whit no reason to it. I was hopping to understand more the character that I first known through The Silence of the Lambs movie and through the book. I had nightmares for a few days...I don't recommend it
Ceri
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing books! I'm still processing the ending to the trilogy!
Alexandra
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites-2016
Reread all the books just before I started watching the TV show!!! Amazing books and the tv show is SO addicting
Milena
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adore them.
Beck
Sep 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Nobody seems to want to discuss what a terrible ending "Hannibal" had. Other than this unbelievable and anger inducing ending, the books were very enjoyable.
Nati
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
mi villano favorito el Lecter :) como analiza la mente de sus victimas, y lo educado y caballero que es
Angie
Apr 04, 2013 added it
love the hannibal tale!!!!
Shell
Apr 06, 2010
  • Mirage
  • De Vlucht
  • Verlies
  • The Last Raven  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #7)
  • Father Brown: Selected Stories
  • Thunder of Erebus
  • Mythology; Myths, Legends & Fantasies
  • Doctor Who: Meglos
  • Doctor Who: The Novel of the Film
  • The New Glucose Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index--the Dietary Solution for Lifelong Health
  • Warrior
  • Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of the Legendary 30 Assault Unit
  • Footprints On The Other Side
  • The Circle (Commandant Martin Servaz, #2)
  • Himmel över London
  • James Herriot's Yorkshire
  • Doctor Who: Vampire Science
  • Alles te verliezen
Thomas Harris began his writing career covering crime in the United States and Mexico, and was a reporter and editor for the Associated Press in New York City. His first novel, Black Sunday, was printed in 1975, followed by Red Dragon in 1981, The Silence of the Lambs in 1988, Hannibal in 1999, and Hannibal Rising in 2006.
More about Thomas Harris...

Hannibal Lecter (4 books)
  • Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • Hannibal (Hannibal Lecter, #3)
  • Hannibal Rising (Hannibal Lecter, #4)