Start by marking “Traplines” as Want to Read:
Traplines

Traplines

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The menacing underside of family life is the subject of Eden Robinson's debut collection. In crackling prose, she describes homes ruled by bullies, psychopaths, and delinquents; families whose conflict resolution techniques range from grand theft to homicide; kids who have nowhere to go and a lifetime to get there.
Published October 1st 1996 by Henry Holt & Co

To ask other readers questions about Traplines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Traplines

BrokenTune
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This combined review of Traplines and Blood Sports was first posted on BookLikes.

If there is such a category as BC Noir, then Eden Robinson's books Traplines (4*) and Blood Sports (3*) epitomize this category for me.

I'm combining the review of both books here because Blood Sports is the continuation of Contact Sports, one of the short stories contained in Traplines.

Having discovered Robinson's work through her novel Monkey Beach, I was not quite sure whether her other work would follow paths and
Darren
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are four short stories in Traplines; the first two, "Traplines" and "Dogs in Winter," I found to be a bit bland, but "Contact Sports" (the original basis for the later book Blood Sports) is a fucking ride, and "Queen of the North" is cathartic and a joy to read as well. One of the things I would note about Robinson's writing is that it's often as gripping as any thriller but also socially conscious and thought-provoking, regardless of whether or not a reader immediately recognizes the cont ...more
Gerhard
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This collection of four novellas from Canadian writer Eden Robinson received extravagant praise from critics and fellow-authors alike when it was first published in 1996. She was hailed as a young writer with enough literary promise to eventually become a Carol Shields or even an Alice Munro.

Now let me admit straightaway that I cannot for the life of me see what all the fuss was about. True enough, these stories highlight the plight of forgotten adolescents existing on a knife edge in a world o
Carla
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Very few short stories in this collection. In fact, one is 100+ pages. More of a novella. It was apparently combined or used for another book. This BC noir First Nations writer has so many acclaims that I was daunted to rate this book only three stars! Kidding. I'm honest to a fault sometimes. I did enjoy the stories, but they didn't have me hankering to hunt down everything she's ever written. The stories were raw, sometimes funny, but just didn't grab me like I thought they would.
James Campbell
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I friggin' love this book. When I read it in uni, for whatever reason, it felt like one of the most honest and hard-hitting books I'd ever read. I think I devoured it in one sitting.

Robinson focuses squarely on issues relating to teenagers growing up in rural communities, specifically the simple fact that, no matter what bad things are happening to you, you have literally nowhere to go to get away, because you're surrounded by nothing. Her spare and direct style drives this point into your gut
Kate
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leseparatist
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: can-lit, 2012, owned
Admittedly, I liked the least by-far the longest story of the collection (i.e. Contact Sports, which at 100+ pages seems to lose its strength a little towards the end). However, all four stories were amazing. Gritty, bloody and powerful, they were teeming with the often not-so-quiet desparation of abused youth. Highly recommended, and without doubt Traplines will be one of my favourite books of the year.
Susan Armstrong
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
another intense creation by Eden. I appreciate her writing immensely - I have to sometimes take a break because it is such difficult material, but she also sheds a light on realities I know the youth I counsel face.
l.
Queen of the north is a great addition to monkey beach.
Alan
violent and beautiful, written with verve and skill
UOIT FED Book Club: Traplines 2 6 Aug 07, 2014 05:12AM
  • The Lamp at Noon and Other Stories
  • The Dirt Chronicles
  • Monoceros
  • Memory Board
Eden Victoria Lena Robinson (born 19 January 1968) is a Canadian novelist and short story writer.

Born in Kitamaat, British Columbia, she is a member of the Haisla and Heiltsuk First Nations. She was educated at the University of Victoria and the University of British Columbia.

More about Eden Robinson...