Start by marking “Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1)

Magic to the Bone

(Allie Beckstrom #1)

Allie would rather moonlight as a Hound than accept the family fortune - and the strings that come with it. All magic use has costs -- hers include migraines and memory loss. She finds a boy dying from a magic Offload with her father's signature, then her father is murdered. Allie's search for the truth calls on her country friend and the handsome man originally assigned a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 355 pages
Published November 4th 2008 by New American Library (first published October 16th 2008)

Vinaya
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
When I was a kid, and I fell sick, my mom used to give me this horrid porridge that was supposed to help me recover quicker. It was flat, bland, tasteless and coated my mouth in a way that made every mouthful a chore. Reading Magic to the Bone kind of reminded me of being back in bed, sick, and forced to eat some awful mush. This book is not exciting, it's not enchanting, it's not funny, it's just. plain. blah.

Allie Beckstrom is a Hound. In a world where the use of magic always extracts a price,
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Magic to the Bone is another Urban Fantasy novel involving magic, but there are twists. When you use magic, you have to pay a price such as a memory or some sort of pain. People illegally push the costs off to victims, and that's where the MC comes into play; as a Hound, she tracks down people using magic illegally. Unfortunately for her, one of her clients leads back to a bad source, and soon there is a murder investigation and much higher stakes.

Allie is a likeable, guilt-stricken and stubborn
Denisa
I dunno what to say about this one

This book was a bit of a rollercoaster, up, down, up again. The first part was interesting, with the new world and all that. I absolutely loved the idea that you have to "pay" to use magic (it was a first for me). Also loved the idea that magic was "discovered", "invented" even. Like fire or water or sliced bread.

So, I can say that I found a lot of really interesting things in this read. The bad part was that, after the "wow" thing passed, I kinda got bored. Th
Julie (jjmachshev)
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
New (to me) author Devon Monk has imagined a world where magic exists--but extracts a serious price from its users. The more magic you use, the bigger the price in pain, blood, or loss...unless you're rich enough, or ruthless enough, to transfer that price to someone else.

Allie knows all about magic's price. At least she would, if she could only remember. After all, her father and his wealthy corporation have their fingers in all the magic 'pies' in the world. And she was all set to follow in t
Brandi
Jan 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PNR/UF lovers
Recommended to Brandi by: Myself, years ago
Shelves: favorites

All right, y'all, now here's the thing; I read this series before I was on here and didn't go into it with the same thought process I have now. That doesn't mean that I love this series any less, it just means that I can admit that there are issues with this book that I hadn't really paid attention to before. This book has that First Book Syndrome, and Allie makes some questionable decisions, but this remains one of my favorite series.

The story is set in a world like ours, but unlike ours, magi
Emma
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, urban-fantasy
This was a very promising start to a new-to-me series. I’m quite fussy about which UF series I get involved in, but this I liked. It seems that we have only touched the tip of the iceberg in terms of world building and what we know of the magic system. I liked the main protagonist, Allie Beckstrom as well as her friend Nora and the love interest, Zayvion. Looking forward to continuing the series.
The Flooze
With Magic to the Bone, Devon Monk creates a world of magic that’s a little different from the usual urban fantasy. This first installment was enjoyable, but had its convoluted moments.

Allie Beckstrom is a Hound, a magic-user whose talent is tracing a spell back to its caster. She exists in a version of Portland, Oregon where magic runs from deep wells of power within the earth, wending its way up through lead and glass distribution systems which carry the power source throughout the city. Most
Mike (the Paladin)
I finished 2 books today, quick audio reads and they've both been disappointments for me. Let me say here that both should have been labeled PNR (PareNormal Romance) rather than UF (Urban Fantasy). This book started out for me as maybe a high 3. It is a good idea (again a mage type character with a limited power that will obviously grow). Sadly it devolves quickly into soap opera with "concerns of the heart" trumping story. "Our" relationship with our father, our friends...and of course our on a ...more
Angela
3.5 Stars

Devon Monk has given us a world where magic exists, but it's not a pretty world. There are steep prices for using magic of any sort, and as always, there are ways to circumvent the system. Allie's gift allows her to track those that would wish to hide their magical doings. She prefers to go her own way, forgetting the blood she shares with the man who made harnessing magic possible - her father.

When the story opens it's Allie's birthday, and she's determined to do something nice for her
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I really like the world so far and how the magic works.

I didn't like that it switched from A's 1st person pov to third person pov for Cody. It was a little jarring. But then I felt so bad for Cody I did like his scene. I just don't like how it goes from 1st to 3rd person.

This is set in Portland which I enjoy, since I live in Portland. However I have a higher opinion of Saint Johns than the author does.

Some of the phrasing is weird to me, like: "My mouth watered so hard I had to swallow." some
~♥*Marianna*♥~
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book had such a nice ending. There are many questions yet to be revealed and answered in this story but the book didn't leave me feeling cut off with a cliff hanger. That is a nice change. I've gotten to expect the cliffhangers in series books, especially first in series.

This one left me really, really wanting to continue reading Allie's story but it also gave me a sense of renewal and fresh start; like a whole new chapter of her story will open with the next book.

I really like the sweet
Blodeuedd Finland
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
In this world people discovered a way to harness magic 30 years ago. By trapping it in glass pipes for an instance it can be used. But it always takes something from you, pain, a memory, and Allie knows this. Still she hounds. She hunts people who does not use magic right, they do not take the pain, they give it to someone else. Her father is one of the richest men around but she has cut all ties, and she does live in a rathole and really suffers.

This is not a nice world, it feels dirty, and the
Ally
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ally by: Brandi
Mini review by phone!

I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy the rest of this series. Allie is a fantastic (if sometimes a little stupid) heroine who is always up for a fight. I love that she refused to back down no matter what and that she constantly fought for others.

The world that this book is set in is just amazing, and unique amongst all the urban fantasy I've read. While magic is there to use, it uses you right back, often making it dangerous to perform certain types if magic. For Alli
JAIME
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
I finished this over the weekend, and it was fiiiiiine. Honestly though, didn't feel like anything I hadn't read already so I've no plans to continue the series.

Also, people really have to stop with the 'poor little rich girl' thing. It gets so old.
Brownbetty
Jul 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brownbetty by: Jam
Angie
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Is it weird that I kind of got a kick out of the main character's name in this book being Allie? It's not my name. I do have a dear friend by that name. But I think the main reason was that I just haven't read a book in a long time that featured an Allie, and it seemed to lend the story a certain appealing freshness. The other names in the book are equally appealing. Zayvion Jones. Violet Beckstrom. And the idea for the story is undoubtedly intriguing.

MAGIC TO THE BONE is set in an alternate Ame
Cameron
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I will freely admit to being a snob with my urban fantasy; as hypocritical as it may be considering the genre, I just cannot stand the paranormal romances that increasingly bulge off of the bookshelves. I found Monk's title in my old Waldenbooks where genres are a tad more fluid and took the chance that it was not of the paranormal romance ilk, trusting in Roc's growing reputation as the leader in urban fantasy. I was intrigued by her description of magic use. In reading the novel, I was not dis ...more
Komal
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, urban-fantasy
Somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars. A pendulum of a read. Somethings worked for me, others did not.

For the first book in a series, Monk crafted a well thought out world of magic and power. The price of magic was physical aliment which made sense. The story had a nice flow & was well written. World building never bogged down the story as a whole which was impressive. It never suffered from First Book Syndrome.

My main issue with this book was the lead, Allie. While the character had a lot of p
Rebecca
Jan 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this. It wasn't interesting or well written. I read the first few chapters, then the last chapter, and didn't feel I missed anything in between. I like this genre, so it is rare for me to buy a book at full price at the bookstore and then not finish it. It felt like the usual murder mystery without a great plot or engaging characters. This book and author just weren't interesting to me.
Casey

Another MacHalo Group read beginning October 24, let me know if you want in on this action if you're not already a member.
Hallie
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed a lot about this, but a lot felt as if it was really pretty standard urban-fantasy-with-a-*unique!*-element stuff. The characters were fairly interesting, though I sometimes feel I'm getting a bit sick of the trope of characters keeping secrets tightly hidden from each other and the reader (except Polly's secret-keeping in All Clear, for which I make complete and inconsistent allowance!)

I'm also clearly getting older and crankier by the second, because I'm finding more and more often t
Ian
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-audiobook
description

Mmmmkay...
Under the Covers Book Blog
Allie Beckstrom lives in a world where using magic has a price. Migraines, stomach cramps, memory loss and Allie is familiar with them all, especially memory loss. However, not everyone chooses to bare the cost of their magic, some illegally offload it on to other and depending on the strength of the spell, it could kill. As a Hound, Allie can see and track the magical signature of those who cast magic, including those who illegally offload the consequences. She just never expected that the mag ...more
Amyiw

Re-read October 25, 2016
Wow, on re-read what a turn around. I didn't like this much 2.75 or on the south side of 3. Library audiobook. Allie does just stumble over all the clues/answers, she is just pulled along and Zayvion directs part of it. The little he lets her know is obviously close to nothing. And, I cannot believe I gave the book 4 stars. There are several cliffhanger plot lines left open, not the main question but that answer is thrown to her in the end and didn't seem like the main pl
AMythicalBeast
Apr 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of ilona andrews, patricia briggs and lovely urban fantasy
3.5

There is that breed of writers who now dominate the urban fantasy market and who bring to the readers a gritty, dark, often disappointing world of supernatural beings and magic.
Like Ilona Andrews and Patricia Briggs, Devon Monk has created a tough heroine who takes care of herself, has had a rough childhood, makes friends despite herself and stumbles into world-domination plots that make her groan!
I like Allie Beckstrom and as a heroine who suffers from partial amnesia every time she uses po
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I liked this! Good world-building, loved the male lead, the ending had some pacing problems, but I am looking forward to the second book! Watch my video review
Jen Davis
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book got off to a slow start for me. I had some issues with the heroine. The sex was vague and unsatisfying. But somehow, I am really interested in this series –and am actually kind of excited about book two. I think that’s thanks in large part to a unique and engaging ending.

As with many first installments in an urban fantasy series, there’s a new world to establish. Here, magic is part of everyday life. But there are consequences for using it. The bigger the magic, the bigger the repercus
Kim
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
In between grading papers, and after spending weeks reading Inkdeath, I needed something fast-paced and exciting to read. Urban fantasy is good for that, but I have been feeling a little bit burnt out on vampires, werewolves, and fey---so what's an eager fantasy reader to do? Along comes Devon Monk's Magic to the Bone, which blends many of the tropes of urban fantasy (kick-ass heroine with daddy issues, sexy man of mystery, gritty urban setting) with an original and promising take on magic. In A ...more
Chibineko
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I have to say that I'm not entirely sure what I think about this series so far. It has some great points, but then there were also some elements that I kind of felt "meh" about.

Bonus points must be given to Monk for coming up with a creative idea for magic. Magic is usable by everyone, but in order to use it you have to be ready for the pain that it'll give you. Or in Allie's case, the potential loss of memory. It was interesting that this seems to be limited more to her, so I'm intrigued to se
Saucy Wenches Boo...: Magic to the Bone [February BotM] 8 12 Apr 01, 2018 04:19PM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: October Group Read 3 22 Oct 24, 2016 10:25PM
Book Bites: Chapters 13-17 (EoB) 1 6 Feb 09, 2014 10:27AM
Book Bites: Chapters 1-5 3 6 Feb 06, 2014 09:42PM
  • Vicious Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #1)
  • Three Days to Dead (Dreg City, #1)
  • The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1)
  • Bitter Night (Horngate Witches, #1)
  • Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1)
  • Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1)
  • Hell Fire (Corine Solomon, #2)
  • Ravenous: The Dark Forgotten
  • Mind Games (The Disillusionists, #1)
  • Deadtown (Deadtown, #1)
  • Skin Deep (Laura Blackstone, #1)
  • Red-Headed Stepchild (Sabina Kane, #1)
  • Nightwalker (Dark Days, #1)
  • Dead on the Delta (Annabelle Lee, #1)
  • Night's Cold Kiss (Dark Brethren, #1)
  • Street Magic (Black London, #1)
  • A Brush of Darkness (Abby Sinclair, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
Devon Monk is a national best selling writer of urban fantasy. Her series include Ordinary Magic, House Immortal, Allie Beckstrom, Broken Magic and Shame and Terric. She also writes the Age of Steam steampunk series, and the occasional short story which can be found in her collection: A Cup of Normal, and in various anthologies. She has one husband, two sons, and lives in Oregon. When not writing, ...more

Allie Beckstrom (9 books)
  • Magic in the Blood (Allie Beckstrom, #2)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom, #5)
  • Magic on the Hunt (Allie Beckstrom, #6)
  • Magic on the Line (Allie Beckstrom, #7)
  • Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8)
  • Magic for a Price (Allie Beckstrom, #9)
“Instinct told me it was dangerous.
I could handle dangerous. Dangerous and me went back a long way. We did lunch when dangerous was in town.”
12 likes
“I promise I'll stay as safe as I can. And since Zay refuses to leave me alone, I figure if things get bad, I can always shove him into the line of fire while I run like hell.” 12 likes