Start by marking “Visual Thinking: For Design” as Want to Read:
Visual Thinking: For Design

Visual Thinking: For Design

Increasingly, designers need to present information in ways that aid their audience’s thinking process. Fortunately, results from the relatively new science of human visual perception provide valuable guidance.

In Visual Thinking for Design, Colin Ware takes what we now know about perception, cognition, and attention and transforms it into concrete advice that designers ca

Published April 18th 2008 by Morgan Kaufmann Publishers (first published April 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Visual Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Visual Thinking

Katja
Sep 03, 2010 added it
Shelves: cmd
This is more a book on visual perception, than on visual thinking. Filled with neuro-biological stuff like frontal lobes and cortex areas, which makes it difficult to read and increasingly boring. I find myself skipping the "scientific" parts forward to design parts. What remains is the good old Gestald theory. I expected, honestly, something more revolutionary. Am I spoiled?
irfan
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Definitely a must-read for those engaged in the field of visual communication and design-related fields. The book manages to break down, into its littlest of technicality, the various ideas and perceptions that one should know in order to design better...visually. With its look at things from a 2.5D perspective, right up to the science, or common-science'ical of colour schematics and combination, the book has managed to bring forth the idea of how one can actually improve upon the visual design ...more
Charles
Sep 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
I ordered this book from abebooks.com because it is the text book for the Data Visualisation course I am studying. The course is available at http://www.cs171.org I can watch the lectures, download the slides but I don't get access to the teaching staff unless I enrol in the course next year and pay the fees! I will see how I go "auditing" the course.
Carlos Allende
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Clear examples and easy to read. I wish all text books were like this one!
Vlad Golovach
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
As a MK book, it's OVERLY long and wordly. Still, nice to skim.
Moren Stevanus
Jul 03, 2013
Rodrigo Santamaría
Jun 03, 2014
arjun
rated it did not like it
Oct 03, 2016

• Semiology of Graphics
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
  • Designed for Use
  • Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
  • Visual Language for Designers: Principles for Creating Graphics that People Understand
  • Design for Information: An Introduction to the Histories, Theories, and Best Practices Behind Effective Information Visualizations
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information
  • Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules
  • Paper Prototyping: The Fast and Easy Way to Design and Refine User Interfaces
  • Usability Engineering
  • Information Graphics
  • The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Thoughtless Acts?: Observations on Intuitive Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »