Start by marking “Jack and the Box: TOON Level 1” as Want to Read:
Jack and the Box: TOON Level 1

Jack and the Box: TOON Level 1

(TOON Books)

Jack just got a new toy, and it’s full of surprises. Each time the box pops open, there’s a new and bigger surprise. Is it a silly toy, a scary toy... or something else entirely?
Published October 1st 2008 by TOON Books

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Box

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I love the toon books and recommend them often, but I have mixed feelings about this one. Some children will likely enjoy the silliness that is part of this story. But my concern is that for some it might actually be frightening. The looks on the face of Jack (the rabbit) is at times scary...Jack seems scared by what is happening with his new gift/toy. Part of me kept thinking that Zack (the toy in the box) would be a great plot line for the Twilight Zone. Rather than funny this one came across ...more
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for children about that special toy that you love more than any other.
Sarah Beattie
-Bank Street College of Education's Best Children's Book of the Year

Appropriate Grade Level:
-Kindergarten through 1st grade

Original Summary:
-This is a graphic comic “toon book,” that tells the story of Jack, a rabbit, who gets a toy from his parents. The toy is a jack-in-the-box type of toy, but it seems to come to life and interact with Jack. The toy inside of the box is named Zack and he
Makaila Schmidt
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
"Jack and the Box", by Art Spiegelman is about a young boy who receives a present from his parents. What looks like just a box turns out to be and pop out toy named Zack. The two have a lot of fun together playing hide-and-go-seek, an Jack later finds out that Zach has a friend named Mack in the box too, who also has pet ducks. Things get crazy once they all come out of the box.

The gutters in this story represent another conversation between characters. The word bubbles are very important to und
Madison
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
When reading this book I thought it was very interesting and I couldn’t find myself to enjoy it. This book is a graphic novel about a young boy who is a bunny. The boy gets a present which is like a jack in the box. The boy plays with the toy and is constantly talking to the puppet in the box to come out and play. Eventually the puppet pops out and talks to the boy. The puppet causes some mischief with the boy until his parents come in to see what is going on. The book is an easy read and can be ...more
Eric
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
my review on this book is that its bad. i dont like the book at all.

eric
Kristin
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My lil one giggled throughout this whole book. She thought this book was “very silly”
H
Apr 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Creepy as hell!
Mario
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
i think this book needs better colors and pictures .
Natalie Rudolph
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Jack and the Box (2008) Written and Illustrated by Art Spiegelman
This graphic novel is described as being the first comics for brand- new readers. It tells the story of Jack, a bunny who is given a “silly toy” as a gift from his parents. It is a box with a toy that looks like a sling, occasionally popping out and saying silly things to Jack. Jack always requests that the toy, “come out and play.” When the toy eventually does, he always has something interesting and funny to say. Jack learns th
Rowan Stewart
This Toon Into Reading book by Art Spiegelman tells the story of a young bunny and his newest toy - Jack's parents give him a jack in the box (ironically enough). The jack in the box comes alive as Jack continues talking to it, much like I remember my toys doing when I was 5. An amazing introduction to graphic novels, this Level 1 Toon Into Reading story \i Jack and the Box \i was a cute story about a boy and his toy.

The words of the story are fairly short and simple, making it a good read for
Rhica
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lots of great ryhming. This is the kind of story that would make me want to burn all of the jack-in-the-boxes that ever existed. It creeped me out.
Lacey Luce
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jack and the Box
By Art Spiegelman
Spiegelman , A. (2008). Jack and the box. New York, NY: Toon Books.

1. Graphic Novel Junior Book

2. In this book Jack’s parents give him a new toy. Sometimes his toy can be funny, but sometimes it is scary. Jack loves his toy at first but he starts to believe that it is just a little too silly.

3. Illustrations/Color

b. The illustrations really give meaning to this story. It is done in a comic book like setting and the illustrations really tell the story. The auth
Rhiannon Hubble
1. Genre: Graphic Novel
2. When Jack gets a new toy, he is excited to play with it. This toy is full of surprises, each time the box opens, something new awaits Jack's discovery.
3. a) Area for Comment: Vocabulary
b) While I found this book a tad bit creepy, I did notice that the author uses very appropriate vocabulary suitable for young readers (4-6 years old). This in itself made me appreciate the book a little more. I know that young, emerging readers would take to this book because it is so sil
Melissa Mcavoy
Age Range: 5-7
Jack’s parents give him a present that surprises: a goofy jack-in-the-box with a mind of its own. Jack learns to play with the mischievous and obstreperous Zack. They both agree he is very silly. Spiegelman’s prodigious imagination paired with a simple, repetitive and rhyming vocabulary makes this a great choice for an early reader. Spare, yet graphically strong cartoons hold children’s interest and build sympathy for bedeviled Jack.

Per other reviews: I agree there is something men
Samantha Duncan
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
1. Genre: Graphic Novel

2. This is a cute story mimicking it's comic-strip roots. Jack received a toy from his parents that seems fun and cool at first but after it begins to scare him, hide and act a little crazy, he beings to think this toy wasn't everything he thought it was.

3. (A) Area for comment: illustrations
(B) This was a good book with illustrations that really give you an insight into Jack's world. The color schemes used give you a warm feeling when Jack like's his toy and then also d
Aimee Martin
Mar 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Jack and the Box
Jacks parents brought Jack a present and the present is a jack in the box. The jack in the box scared jack at first and then jack always wanted to play with it. Jack is a bit of a brat and he gets angry a lot. The Jack in the box talks to jack and sometimes he leaves his box to play outside of the box. The jack in the box made a big mess one time that it left the box and then jack told his parents that the jack in the box can leave the box and the parents didn’t believe him. They
Camille
I thought this was a great easy read graphic/comic novel. It's about a rabbit named jack and his parents give him a box and inside is a toy named zack. Jack finds out that zack is really silly. he likes to pop out of the box and to scare Jack. Zack also has a really silly friend who comes and brings his ducks and they all play together.

This book usually has two big sections on each page with word bubbles for their thoughts or what they are saying. In between the sections, there are white gutters
Greg
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get much out of reading this, personally. I didn't think it was particularly interesting, poignant, or even fully appropriate for children. But part of that, I think, is no longer being a child and instead being an overprotective parent. I watch things that I loved as a kid and judge them now for their inappropriateness, not realizing that I didn't see it that way when I was young. I am intrigued, however, by the concept of this series, especially after my big takeaway from Unflattening ...more
Alexandra Inmon
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Loyd
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Art Spiegelman is a tricky guy to pin down (thankfully). His last book, a re-issue of Breakdowns, is so startling that one store I visited refused to carry it. His collections of Raw magazine, In The Shadow of No Towers, and his ground-breaking Maus were likewise inventive and gut-wrenching. But then his other, much more gentle, child-like side comes out in the whimsical Little Lit series and Open Me, I'm A Dog. Jack and the Box is a part of the second group, a silly little story that you can pi ...more
Kathy Ogg
This book reminds me of the Dr Seuss Cat in the Hat book in the story line. Jack is given a new toy that is a Jack in the box. Every time he opens the box, Zack, the jack in the box, plays different tricks on the boy. Then similar to thing one and thing two in Cat in the Hat, Zack gets out a duck that gets out a lot of smaller ducks that reek havoc on Jack's house breaking a lamp. Then just before the parents come in to see what happens, Zack has a replacement lamp and takes away the broken one. ...more
Justyn Rampa
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is by Art Spiegelman of Maus fame and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The story revolves around a little rabbit whose parents have just bought him a new toy that is essentially a jack in the box, although there is no winding and the clown inside is named Zack.

There is definitely a bit of "Cat in the Hat" feel to the book except there is no rhyming to make it charming. The illustrations are interesting, but overall...the book has a sneaking sinister feel to it.

Especially when all
VAle
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
preso in biblioteca

La nuova collana di Orecchio Acerbo (Orecchio Acerbo Comics) dedicata ai più piccoli parte col botto!
E infatti i primi 2 titoli sono firmati da 2 grandi del fumetto: Jeff Smith (TopoLino si prepara), creatore di Bone e Art Spiegelman, il pluripremiato autore di Maus.

Jack riceve in regalo una scatola che contiene un giocattolo molto buffo... e con degli amici piuttosto combinaguai!

Disegni sopra la media e storiella gradevole.

A Orecchio Acerbo bisognerebbe fare un monumento!
Robin
I am a huge fan of Art Spiegelman's comics for adults, and was excited to see this children's book of his. The Toon Book series is billed as "a first comic for brand-new readers." Unfortunately, this work is sorely lacking in plot and entertainment, and I can think of countless picture books that are far more imaginative while still employing a limited vocabulary. The art isn't that stimulating either, though I normally appreciate Spiegelman's craft.

I very much support introducing comics to kids
jeremiah
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Middle kid brought this home from the school library and LOVED it. Kel and I saw that it was by [Author: Art Spiegelman] so we read through it quick. Wow. The sense of humor is somewhat dark (but awesome) while the art is incredible (as to be expected). As a book for a new reader, it seemed good. I'm thinking we may need to pick up a few more in Art's "Little Lit" series.
Miss Kelly
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am not a big graphic novel/comic book reader; howver, if you are looking to develop your JGraphic novel collection, this is a cute, silly, easy to read and comic/graphic book I would and did include this in our J Graphic Novel collection. It's about a bunny, Jack who gets a Jack-in-the-box toy (Zack) from his parents. Reminds me of a Dr. Suess type book set in comic book frames. Okay book.
Jessica
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
I received this book for free from the publisher. All content and opinions are my own.

This is a cute little story about Jack and a silly toy named Zack his parents give him. It’s billed as “a first comic for brand-new readers.” This book would likely play well to toddlers and early readers who will get a kick out of the silly story and the fun illustrations.
Aaron
Jun 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Funny, and slightly macabre (I definitely felt that the Zack in the box had a slightly sinister quality about him) book that had a "parent's are away and uninvited guests cause mishap" flavor of the Cat in the Hat.
Emilia P
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Uh. Well, I want to like Toon Books more than I do. And it's hard for me to make the switch to actual kid books by Art Spiegelman. It's like ... these are Maus characters! This is weird! Plus Jack in the Boxes are freaky, no getting around it. So. Yeah.
  • Silly Lilly and the Four Seasons: TOON Level 1
  • Benny and Penny in the Toy Breaker: TOON Level 2
  • Stinky
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Otto's Orange Day (TOON Level 3)
  • Into the Volcano
  • Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)
  • Luke on the Loose
  • Benjamin Bear in Fuzzy Thinking: TOON Level 2
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Romeo and Juliet (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #2)
  • Tippy and the Night Parade: TOON Level 1
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • Snippet the Early Riser
  • The Road to Epoli (Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo #1)
  • Gronk Volume 1 (Gronk, #1)
  • Too Many Dogs
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.

TOON Books (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1