Start by marking “Chester's Back! (Chester)” as Want to Read:
Chester's Back! (Chester)

Chester's Back!

(Chester)

In this uproarious sequel to Chester, the battle of the picture-book makers continues. Which author-illustrator will come out on top -- Chester or Melanie Watt -- is anybody's guess! This time, there's no denying (in Chester's mind) that he's the star of the show. His already outsize ego has ballooned even more due to a spate of "fan mail" on the heels of his self-titled d ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Kids Can Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chester's Back!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chester's Back!

Philip
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gwennie and I went to the library yesterday and I picked up Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach. I always ask the kids if there's any other book they want me to check out. Gwennie picked out this one. I didn't realize until I read it that it was another Melanie Watt book. I'm becoming a pretty big fan.

Well, Gwennie was really sick last night, and slept in this morning, so I read the book to Eleanor when she woke up. (Sorry Gwen. That's what happens when you're sick. You miss out on stuff.)

From here on
Shawn Deal
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Yes, Chester is back to cause more mayhem in a book, that is really suppose to be about a mouse, but is all about Chester and his high jinks.
Kaethe
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
October 6, 2008

Can't wait to see what Chester's up to. I love kid's books that play with the conventions.

***
The PandaBat loves Melanie Watt and Chester. But as soon as this was done, she needed something with a little story to it.

***
February 9. 2013
Veronica decided to reread the Chester books, and since they were around, Tash and I did to. Silly, wonderful books.Library copy.
The Library Lady
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My toddler set won't get Chester, but I'm hoping the older children read this series and laugh as much as I do.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I love Mélanie Watt's Chester books. If I ever met Mélanie I would probably go all fangirl. She has created such a fun series with her cat Chester and their lively banter is always hoot.
Steve Holden
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very clever sequel to the first Chester. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of Melanie Watt. This series is told in a funny, back and forth manner between a cat and the author/illustrator. The different fonts and crazy red marker make it easy to follow. It's silly, but a funny silly that I believe young students will love spending time with.
Shel
Jul 24, 2009 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Watt, M. (2008). Chester’s Back! Toronto: Kids Can Press.

As the title so aptly states, Chester’s Back! This is a sequel to Watt’s successful Chester, published in 2007. In both these books the cat named Chester takes over as author, encouraging youngsters to consider taking on the role of co-creator of books. This series demonstrates that sometimes stories really do take on lives of their own.

This time around, the implied (and real) author, Melanie, gets tired of Chester’s many alte
Tasha
Oct 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was a big fan of the first Chester book. This sequel keeps the merriment and fun of the first book, and again showcases Chester defying his owner and trying to create HIS book. In this book, Chester refuses to allow Melanie to write a book putting him in a jester costume in the Middle Ages. He uses a variety of tactics to ruin her efforts, including wearing the wrong costumes and scribbling all over the pages with his red marker. But Melanie may just find a clever replacement for Chester and n ...more
This book was interesting to read, bit it has too many parts for a read aloud. As an adult, I enjoyed this book, but I fear that a young student might get confused by how it starts over every time they decide to edit a part.

Awards
2010 Golden Archer Award -- Primary (Winner)
2008 Cybils -- Fiction Picture Book (Finalist)
2008 IndieFab Award -- Picture Book (Second Place)
Publishers Weekly -- Starred Review (*)
CLM
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nephews, picturebooks
We liked this but the element of surprise was gone, so it did not appear to be quite as much of a hit as Chester.
Heather
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chester's Back is a story about Chester the cat, a cat who knows what he wants and will stop at nothing to get it. The story starts out with the author attempting to tell a fairytale story until Chester doesn't show up for his part, only to come in later as a 'caveman cat' as he calls himself. Chester then takes over the story telling and draws his own images for the book, wanting the story to be interesting. The author reprimands him and tries one more time but eventually she gives up and ignor ...more
Julian
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
It's fun, but it's pretty much the same story as the original Chester, with Melanie Watt and Chester battling it out for control of the book. It's a good laugh, but I felt it was the same story. I mentioned this to my wife and she said that this is what kids want. Then she paused and said: "scratch that, all the 24 seasons are the same story, and were were still glued to the TV". I'm also a fan of CSI, so who am I to criticize repetition?
Kyler Lopez
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a silly book about a cat that has the ability to break the fourth wall. I thought that this book was funny and would be a good book to show how creative you can be in writing. I would like to have several of these books from this series in my classroom one day.
Courtney Heard
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is a hilarious book to read to your young readers in a writing piece. This is because it shows a good example of the endless possibilities that could happen when writing a story.

Six + 1Traits: presentation, idea
DRA Level: ~26
Lexile: 510L
Veeda
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not better than the original but still very good!
Heather
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-read
These Chester books are absolutely hilarious and I love Melanie Watt.
Kate
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-hobbit
Of al the Chester books, this is our household favourite. Very, very silly and fun.
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book - Chester. This book is also funny with combative discussions between the author and Chester the cat who is the character of her book.
Dana
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Children wii enjoyed the first book will enjoy this one as well because of the humor and unconventionality. That darn cat.
Donna Mork
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cute interactive book where the main character takes over for the narrator and changes the story, and goes behind the page, etc.
Ellon
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just as hilarious and delightful as the first one :)
Kathy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We love Chester... he is funny and defiant (and gets his just desserts).
Viviane Elbee
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Kids enjoyed this book and laughed at some of the jokes between Melanie and Chester. Great for fans of Chester, cats, metafiction, silliness and very long limos. And red jellybeans.
Aaron
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
My daughter read this to me this morning. Very funny, as one would expect with Melanie Watt.
Peacegal
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A bossy cat keeps horning in on the author's story! I especially liked the line of animals dressed in "Chester" costumes.
Emerson and Theodore
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Emerson was cracking up at Chester’s antics!!
Laurie
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Megan Patel
Chester's back and what is he going to do this time? Will he take over the story telling again like last time no. Chester just wants the attention and can't stand it when it is on the mouse. The mouse and chester argue about everything. See what marks Chester makes on this story!
This was a great sequel to Chester. Melanie Watt did a great job with the marker marks that Chester makes and taking over the story. The way this story is told keeps the reader interested and makes the entire story fun t
Madison Woodmansee
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Chester's Back by Melanie Watt is an intriguing post modern children's picture book. It is about a cat who competes with the author Melanie Watt to be the star of the book. It comes from a humorous view to catch the children's interest. Chester is very overconfident and he definitely displays that in the book. He overwrites the writer and tries to compete with her to see who could develop the best part of the book. It gives the readers to perspective; one from Chester and one from Melanie Watt t ...more
Amy Whiffin
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a sequel, and is a very funny book. This book is aimed at Early Years and Key Stage One. The illustrations and the layout of some of the text are very appealing and engaging.

I really liked reading this story to the whole class and seeing their reactions to parts of the book-in particular the part when Chester was acting like a diva and bossing everybody around! It taught the children a valuable lesson and the children realised that this behaviour was unacceptable. The illustrations were
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Chester's back! 1 2 Oct 25, 2014 11:21AM
  • Won-Ton: A Cat Tale Told in Haiku
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Scrawny Cat
  • Cat Tale
  • How to Babysit a Grandpa
  • In a Blue Room
  • The Big Elephant in the Room
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also illu ...more

Chester (3 books)
  • Chester (Chester)
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)