Start by marking “The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)” as Want to Read:
The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)

The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant #1, #2, #3)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  384 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
In this jagged, brilliant tour of London noir, Detective Chief Inspector Roberts and Detective Sergeant Brant are obverse sides of the same tarnished coin as they come up against thugs, gangs, and lowlifes.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Kate's Mystery Books (first published March 25th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The White Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Trilogy

Patrick O'Neil
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had a hard go starting Ken Bruen's The White Trilogy. The writing felt clunky, and rough, spit out in bits, and slung at my head like a fishmonger tossing out a three day old Flounder. I was thinking: "I can't do this. Dude writes like a butcher." And then, Bruen did this thing he does, it's really simple:

Roberts didn't know what to say. "I don't know what to say," He said.

Yup, obviously doesn't take much to impress me. But really, if you think about it, and even if you don't, it’s fucking b
Still
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old fans & new fans of Ken Bruen
Recommended to Still by: I collect Ken Bruen novels

I finished the final novel in this trilogy a few moments ago.
As I understand these are the 1st three novels in the Brant & Roberts series.

If you've read all of Ken Bruen's outstanding "Jack Taylor" novels and you have a thirst for more things Bruen this is an excellent book to continue whatever mad tear you might be on.

These aren't exactly "crime thrillers" and they're definitely not "police procedurals".
They're a breezy romp through a series of adventures and misadventures of two London po
Charles
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I like Bruen's jack Taylor books. This less. Still read other GR reviews. I may just have eaten a sour nut.
Alex Gherzo
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
For quite a while I had been meaning to start this series by Ken Bruen (after seeing the movie Blitz, based on his fourth book in the series, starring a perfectly case Jason Statham as Brandt). Finally getting my hands on The White Trilogy, a collection of his first three books -- A White Arrest, Taming the Alien and The McDead -- I decided to make it my first book of 2017. And, despite massive flaws, I really liked it.

Detective Sergeant Brandt and Chief Inspector Roberts are a pair of hard-nose
Tim Niland
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Todd
Shelves: 2008-reads
Ken Bruen - The White Trilogy

Collecting A White Arrest, Taming the Alien and The McDead, this introduces two of Irish noir writer Ken Bruen's finest creations, the unlikely duo of Chief Inspector Roberts Detective and Sergeant Brant. While Roberts isn't exactly a do-gooder, he's positively a saint compared to the amoral and brutal Brant. This dichotomy makes them such a fascinating pair to follow as the cover London (and New York in one memorable story) in search of the legendary "white arrest",
Ian Mathers
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, 2011
I burned through the first half of this one in a night or two, then it almost burned me out; the whole thing felt just a little too mean spirited and nihilistic to consume in one gulp, and Bruen's impressionistic take on noir was a bit hard to follow when you're speeding through the books that fast. After setting it aside for a week, though, it was easier to see the humour in the characters, and really this is only a few shades darker than something like Terry Pratchett's Night Watch books (and ...more
Douglas Castagna
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Three books in one, albeit short ones. These books move along at a fast clip and have the feeling thrusting the reader into a boxing match, by the end of each novel one feels rather punch drunk and loopy. His style is sparse and energetic, and while traditionally each book has no real resolution, this does work well as a trilogy since there is carryover. Currently I am reading BLITZ which made me cognizant of the writer when I watched the movie with Jason Stratam.
Herb Hastings
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
You don't get much more hard boiled than the 3 books in compendium. The stories follow London police into the heart of darkness. The main character is SGT Brant, a violent,and angry force of nature. He says of himself, " I was born angry and then got worse". The closest he has to a friend is Chief Inspector Roberts who is aging but still a man to be reckoned with.

Bruen's terse and tight writing style drives these stories at an adrenalin pace. If you like noir fiction, read these books.
Kon Lymbo
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read the Inspector Brant seies in about 3 weeks.
I gave each book 4 stars because they are great.
The series gets FIVE STARS because it is BRILLIANT!
Now to start on Mr Bruen's, Jack Taylor series.
Ed O'farrell
Not Bruen's best work, but entertaining nonetheless. Far better than most of what passes for mystery and suspense fiction these days. My three stars are more a reflection of the context of Bruen's other work than in comparison to other authors. Well worth the time and money.
Mike
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Three excellent interconnected noir tales of inspectors Roberts and Brant bringing their own special blend of law and order to London. Less laconic than present, Bruen develops a great set of characters to surround the inspectors and puts them in service of solid storylines.
April
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing kick in the teeth of a book (to call it a mere "crime novel" would be a grave injustice)...features some of my favorite, most memorable & complex baddies, sorta-good guys, and general pieces of work since the last Ellroy I read.
David Simonetti
Nov 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
This is well worth reading. It is filled with total low lives and is a classic detectibve novel with a modern twist that highlights contemporary depravity. The writing is good and the main character is likeable depsite his many flaws.
Adam
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-comedy, noir
Ken Bruen’s White Trilogy is breathless black comic mayhem thinly disguised as police procedural. The nonstop jokes, riffs on pop culture and post modern elliptical plots remind me of Steve Aylett. An almost ambient style that is more absorbed than read.
Tim
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: so, you think tarantino is a softie
Brutal, funny, and a very quick read. Not for those who like their heroes heroic.
Brian
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's easy to see the humor in Bruen's unrelenting bleakness but the glimmers of humanity amid the non stop violence it the work of an artist.
Lee Hannah McDonald
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bruen is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I love the grittiness of his stories and his succinct style of writing.
Joel
his first 3 books including A White Arrest
Jim
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
weary of this cockney tarantino style.
Matt Stewart
Mar 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dudes
Shelves: done
the funniest, most terse crime writing I've ever read - Jim Thompson hepped up on Jon Stewart. it's not literature, but an excellent vacation read.
Jeff
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
If you haven't read Ken Bruen, you have a treat in store. Great noir writer from Ireland. His Brant character is wonderful, a Dirty-Harry type cop that everyone loathes, but he gets the job done!
Jeffrey
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If Bukowski and Ellory spawned this would have popped out onto the pavement.
Kathleen
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great characters.
After reading all the Jack Taylors, I was jonesing for more. The White Trilogy delivers.
The timing is different, but the pitch is perfect.
Tom LS
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
kickass pace, great characters
Susan W
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Series of three. Enjoyed them. Interesting characters which keep you wanting more. No long trials in this world, just the bad taking care of the bad.
Ellen
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about Ken Bruen's Tom Brant stories that hasn't already been said? Required reading. A must have for your library. What a ride! Yeah, like that.
John Hubbard
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
good stories but a bit choppy(I guess collaborative works can get that way) but I did enjoy the action and drama with wonderful scene setting.
Brian Koppin
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
love the Brant novels. Everyone is corrupt
Ron Brooks
Jan 17, 2015
Mj
Mar 18, 2014
  • Bordersnakes
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
  • Three to Kill
  • Hard Feelings
  • The Dead Yard (Michael Forsythe #2)
  • The Storm Without
  • North of Montana (Ana Grey, #1)
  • Small Crimes
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • The Take (DI Joe Faraday, #2)
  • Camouflage (Nameless Detective, #35)
  • Without a Word (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #8)
  • Bad Penny Blues
  • The Ones You Do
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • King Suckerman
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • Hard Man
Ken Bruen, born in Galway in 1951, is the author of The Guards (2001), the highly acclaimed first Jack Taylor novel. He spent twenty-five years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, S.E. Asia and South America. His novel Her Last Call to Louis Mac Niece (1997) is in production for Pilgrim Pictures, his "White Trilogy" has been bought by Channel 4, and The Guards is to be filmed in Ireland by De ...more
More about Ken Bruen...

Inspector Brant (7 books)
  • A White Arrest (Inspector Brant, #1)
  • Taming The Alien (Inspector Brant, #2)
  • The McDead (Inspector Brant, #3)
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)