Start by marking “Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)” as Want to Read:
Vixen (Inspector Brant, #5)

Vixen (Inspector Brant #5)

For the Southeast London police squad, it's rough, tough, dirty business as usual. The Vixen, the most sensuos, crazed female serial killer ever, is masterminding a series of lethal explosions. She is unpredictable, wild, angry--and the cops don't even know she exists.

Meanwhile, Inspector Roberts is helpless to stop the explosions and his subordinates aren't doing much bet
Published August 1st 2005 by Minotaur Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vixen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vixen

John
Mar 30, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Bruen's a very prolific writer of whose work I haven't read nearly enough -- this is just the third of his novels that I've read, the others being The Guards, which I enjoyed, and American Skin, which impressed me less. Both readings were a few years ago.

In Vixen the "vixen" of the title is a psycho called Annie who's teamed up with small-time crooks Ray and Jimmy Cross to extort money from the police through setting off minor bombs in London venues and promising a bigger one unless the rozzers
Havers
Jul 04, 2016 Havers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angie ist clever, sie ist die titelgebende „Füchsin“ in Ken Bruens Kriminalroman (erschienen im Polar Verlag in der Übersetzung von Karen Witthuhn, mit einem Nachwort von Alf Mayer). Angie hat einen Plan. Florida, dort sich einen stinkreichen Typen angeln, das ist das Ziel ihrer Träume. Schmackhaft hat ihr dies ihre ehemalige Zellengenossin gemacht. Aber um dort hinzukommen braucht sie Bares, und zwar in größeren Mengen. Angie agiert zielorientiert und ist eine begnadete Manipulatorin. Und sie i ...more
Diane
Feb 15, 2010 Diane rated it really liked it
"Inspector Brant is back in the latest from Shamus, Barry, Macavity, and Edgar Award finalist Ken Bruen For the Southeast London police squad, it's rough, tough, dirty business as usual. The Vixen, a sensuous, crazed female serial killer, is masterminding a series of lethal explosions across London. She is unpredictable, wild, angry-and the cops don't even know she exists."

Police work as you've always suspected it is carried out - a separate set of rules for the men and women in blue. Great pace
Isabelle
Oct 20, 2012 Isabelle rated it liked it
Same gallery of twisted coppers, same deranged arch-villains, same incredible pace... but the initial surprise of Bruen's particular way of spinning his yarn is now past, so the book may have felt just a hair less thrilling... not a big hair though...
Kathy Davie
Apr 17, 2012 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense
Fifth in the Inspector Brant crime series set in London around a small group of coppers.

My Take
The thing I like about this series is the realism. It's brutal. It's short and to the point. It's fascinating. Bruen has created a small cast of cops in a London suburb who range from young and eager to old and...oh man...mean, stupid, realistic. There's a line that most cops would probably empathize with "He's the public---they never mean well."

Bruen includes a quote from other authors at the start of
Gary
Aug 25, 2008 Gary rated it it was amazing
Witchy Woman

If you're a fan of intricate crime novels - arcane forensics and brainy CSI babes running around in lab coats - Ken Bruen's brand of bare knuckled police work in London's seedy southeast side is probably not your cup of, um, formaldehyde. In fact, about the only tools the rude and crude but bone-breaking-ly efficient Inspector Brant and his misfit cronies employ in reducing London's crime rate are brass knuckles and .38's. Likewise, Bruen's prose is about a subtle as a sledgehammer -
Sebastian
Jan 03, 2014 Sebastian rated it really liked it
Another solid installment in this series.

I absolutely love Bruen's writing, and even though this book was not my favorite in the series, there was enough to make me like it. The darkness of the plot is there, as in most of the author's works. The usual characters are still dealing with their inner demons while they carry out their lives as best as they can. The bad guys are interesting enough but present a more common motivation than the ones seen typically in the series. The trio threatens to b
Esme
Mar 01, 2012 Esme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blitz aus dieser Reihe wurde schon verfilmt. Der Haudegen Jason Stratham spielt Brant. Man kann sich also vorstellen, was das für ein Typ Bulle ist. Vixen ist das fünfte Buch der Brant-Reihe, kann aber ohne Kenntnis der vorherigen gelesen werden. Bombenanschläge in London und die Bombenleger erpressen die Polizei.

Der Roman ist zweigeteilt. Einerseits folgt man den Verbrechern, die fast Stereotype sein könnten, wenn Ken Bruen dafür nicht zu clever wäre: Angie, die femme fatale und zwei Brüder, de
LJ
VIXEN – G+
Ken Bruen – 5th in Brant Series
For the south-east London police Squad, it's rough, tough, dirty business. The Vixen - the most sensuous, crazy, female serial-killer ever - is masterminding a series of lethal explosions. Meanwhile, Porter-Nash is facing a serious health problem, PC McDonald finds himself looking down the wrong end of a .38, the career of WPC Andrews starts spectacularly but, she is about to discover that dynamite doesn't just mean explosive substances, and Superintenden
K.A. Laity
Jan 23, 2012 K.A. Laity rated it really liked it
Damn you, Ken Bruen. Why do I keep getting your books? There I was planning to get some writing of my own done, but no -- I cracked open this book just to see how it started out and then I was too far in to stop. Worse than crisps. I'm fond of the Jack Taylor books, but I love the part of London this is set in, so I got a kick out of seeing familiar places. It took a bit to keep the characters straight, my only complaint -- maybe because I'm always reading things out of order, but as usual I was ...more
Lars
Dec 05, 2016 Lars rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As 'Vixen' is a superfast read, I'm keeping this review short: the book is a good example of condensed hard-boiled crime with a lot of big talk, most of it politically incorrect, some of it funny. The police are nearly as degenerated as the bad guys, and the lifes of most of the protagonists are totally fucked up. Unfortunately there are too many of way too stereotypical characters so at least I couldn't connect – positively or negatively – to any of the dramatis personae. I don't say this often ...more
Teresa
Nov 21, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
This is the 2nd or 3rd book I've read by Ken Bruen and I liked this one better than I remember liking others. I think I'm getting a sense of Bruen's characters and style. This was a tight little book. Lots of characters, all of them well-drawn. Dark, but almost some B movie type humor, though I had to picture this as a film to see get the humor, and to really appreciate the style: writing and characters.
Tim Niland
Jun 23, 2008 Tim Niland rated it really liked it
Bruen is one of the hardest of the hard-core nior mystery writers who sets haunting crime fiction in his native England and Ireland. This time out, the cops are on the trail of a femme-fatale who is hatching an explosive extortion plot that is shocking London. The cops are combating their own demons and problems as they track the Vixen and the money. Fans of hard bitten crime fiction will enjoy this.
Dan Shelly
Jan 15, 2013 Dan Shelly rated it really liked it
This was my 1st Inspector Brant novel, but I had seen the movie Blitz before I discovered Bruen, so Jason Statham was locked in as Brant as I read it, which fit fine. Like all the othe Bruen books I've read, I loved it but wanted more. I guess that's the mark of a great (and smart) author, leave the reader wanting more so they go get your other books...which is what I'm going to do, until I have them all.
Jen
I liked this story, but it lost a lot of punch simply due to the huge number of characters and incidents involved in the plot. I actually had to go backwards a few times to clear some things up in my mind. Rereading for pleasure is one thing, but needing to reread for clarity is rarely a good thing.
Golan Schzukin
Dec 09, 2011 Golan Schzukin rated it did not like it
The only good thing I can say is that it is readbale, and for a flight it is acceptable.
The book can almost be a short story, with the double spacing, and all the empty pages in the middle, could have saved half of the paper.
It is a very trivial and low class crime story, in a disfunctioning police station.
Stven
Dec 19, 2009 Stven rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stven by: library
Cops and crooks in Ireland, a scary place. Characters run the gamut from despicable to sociopathic. They're convincing and the story moves. It's not pretty but the pages keep turning. My first Ken Bruen novel and I'm not sure how I feel about taking in a second.
Brian Oldham
Jan 17, 2012 Brian Oldham rated it did not like it
This is a disgusting horrible book. Poorly written with no redeeming value. Do not let this into your home
Orrieux
Nov 27, 2011 Orrieux rated it liked it
Le sergent Doyle avait posé les pieds sur un tabouret.
Ann
May 08, 2014 Ann rated it it was ok
Easy read mystery that takes place in London. Cops find an extortionist.
Tim
Jan 26, 2009 Tim rated it really liked it
This is the first Ken Bruen I can remember reading and I want to read more it's just a hard boiled cop thriller,a genre i haven't read in quite some time.
Amy
Apr 12, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Very suspenseful! I loved the very last page/chapter!
Martin Sharp
Feb 21, 2013 Martin Sharp rated it it was amazing
Superb. The writing style and dialogue is spell-binding......read this in two sittings
Scott
Apr 10, 2009 Scott rated it it was amazing
what I learned from this book I already knew: Bruen is king.
Mkb
Jun 02, 2014 Mkb rated it liked it
I like foxes but am less interested in sociopathic killers. Three stars.
Ladiibbug
May 04, 2009 Ladiibbug rated it it was amazing
#5 Inspector Brant, Crime Series

Set in London's SE Precinct

Angie is one hair-raising psycho villian (sp?).
Timbo
Feb 21, 2014 Timbo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
paperback
TimsBookCollection
Aug 14, 2016 TimsBookCollection marked it as book-collection  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: available
1st US edition
Jenn
Mar 12, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it
A very noir take on cops. This book is fairly late in the series and I had not read anything before it. A very quick read with a lot of foul language. Took some getting used to.
Jeff
Aug 12, 2008 Jeff rated it liked it
This is the first Bruen I read. I was hooked!
  • The Last Quarry (Quarry #7)
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
  • Saturday's Child (Cal Innes, #1)
  • Little Criminals
  • Kiss Her Goodbye (Hard Case Crime #8)
  • The Mexican Tree Duck
  • Shame the Devil
  • The Name of the Game Is Death (Drake, #1)
  • The Silver Bear (Silver Bear, #1)
  • Damn Near Dead: An Anthology of Geezer Noir
  • The Black Ice Score (Parker, #11)
  • Salt River (Turner, #3)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • Losers Live Longer (Hard Case Crime #59)
  • Eight Ball Boogie
  • Street of No Return
  • Borderlands (Inspector Devlin, #1)
Ken Bruen, born in Galway in 1951, is the author of The Guards (2001), the highly acclaimed first Jack Taylor novel. He spent twenty-five years as an English teacher in Africa, Japan, S.E. Asia and South America. His novel Her Last Call to Louis Mac Niece (1997) is in production for Pilgrim Pictures, his "White Trilogy" has been bought by Channel 4, and The Guards is to be filmed in Ireland by De ...more
More about Ken Bruen...

Inspector Brant (7 books)
  • A White Arrest (Inspector Brant, #1)
  • Taming The Alien (Inspector Brant, #2)
  • The McDead (Inspector Brant, #3)
  • Blitz (Inspector Brant, #4)
  • Calibre (Inspector Brant, #6)
  • Ammunition (Inspector Brant, #7)