Start by marking “Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)

Ashling

(The Obernewtyn Chronicles #3)

As head of Obernewtyn’s Farseeker guild, Elspeth Gordie must travel to the lowlands to seal an alliance between Obernewtyn and the rebel forces that oppose the totalitarian Council. Yet her dreams call to her with an altogether different purpose: Elspeth must destroy what remains of the weapons that brought unimaginable chaos, death, and mutation to her world. Leaving the ...more
Published December 9th 2008 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ashling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashling

Start your review of Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)
Kerry
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REREAD #1: 14 November 2015 - 19 November 2015 (9/10)

I'm rereading my way through the Obernewtyn series now that the final book is out and waiting safely on my Kindle. I had read the first four previously, then I got so worried about what might happen to Elspeth (a reaction I see I was already having with the earlier books last time) that I stopped reading until the series was finished. (A process I see took another 6 years so I'd have been worrying for quite a while.)

It has been fascinating rer
Ksenia
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
So I got the first one from the library and towards the end of the first book I knew this was something interesting. But it wasn’t until the second book (at the end of the second book no less) when I knew I had something fascinating in my hands. The moment that really got me was when the horse Gahltha pledges his loyalty to Elspeth and promises to help her and never leave her side (there’s a reason why of course) but I was so moved by this previously-arrogant horse and his devotion, that my hear ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This review contains spoilers.

Re-reading the third book in the Obernewtyn Chronicles, I was quickly reminded of why it was my favourite for such a long time: things REALLY start happening, on so many levels.

A year has gone by since the events of The Farseekers , making Elspeth about eighteen years old (I'm determined to keep track of her age this time, as it's never mentioned since she was first introduced to us at the age of fourteen). There are again rumours of a soldierguard camp planned
Karen
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Blazed through the last 100 pages, but honestly before about 400-ish, I was extremely bored during this one. The storyline that I thought was only going to last maybe half the book was actually more like 85% of the book, and it was just not entertaining, plus all the 'twists' were quite predictable.
Thankfully the last 15% had something of the overarching story to it, so it seems I will continue the series, and hopefully the writing will grow over the rest of the books as well.
Daniela (Lightweaver)
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i love all of the characters!!!! Dameon!! Dragon!! Brydda!!! How does Isobelle Carmody write such realistic, beautiful characters?!!
This series is incredible!!
Dr.q
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fanti-sci
*Spoilers Implied*

I think that Carmody just gets better and better. it's obvious that the series started while she was a young writer, (i believe she was in high school when she started it) but it has progressively evolved to having a solid voice. I'm in love with all of her characters, that being said all of the perifery characters have more depth than the protagonist. Elspeth is pretty pig-headed and refuses to evolve. Her acceptance at the end of the novel comes out of the BLUE and isn't real
Sumire
It's been over a decade since I've read the obernewtyn chronicles and I am bingeing the whole series now that it has been completed. What I didn't quite appreciate as a 14 year old is the seamless way in which the dream trails have been weaved into the general 'action' plot. Some series focus too much on character and as these characters evolve the authors lose sight of the destiny or prophecy aspect that drives the character's actions. Carmody nails this. There's no obvious/cheap desire to thro ...more
Jenny
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, it's official, I love this series! I wouldn't say the writing is amazing, or the concept original but these books have the best characterization. It's been ages since I've read a book and had to set it down, take a deep breath and remind myself that it's just a story, it's not real and to calm down. I love that!
Mel
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourites in this series. This, similar to Goblet of Fire for the HP series, really sets the tone of the rest of the Obernewtyn Chronicles and starts propelling the main quest story forward. I find the writing steps it up in this book, with some utterly gorgeous prose.

I can't wait to delve into the next few books, which I do not remember as well as this one.
Mere
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebels, misfits and an impending war that's about to start. What could possibly go wrong?

The misfits have finally found a path in which they grow.
Piper Harris
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this series is written in such a unique way. i really do look forward to more.
B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is so much I love about 'The Ashling', Isobelle Carmody's third book in the acclaimed Obernewtyn chronicles. The depth of Elspeth as an individual character is really explored in this novel. This corresponds with the book's attempt to draw out and challenge the human condition and the nature of humanity. As a reader, you find yourself empathising with Elspeth's many moods and thoughts through a stream of consciousness writing style which keeps the read engaging. You follow her fears, anxie ...more
Claire Di Lorenzo
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly what more can I say, this series is becoming one of my absolute favourites so I’ll keep this short and sweet.

- C H A R A C T E R. D E V E L O P M E N T... just so amazing
- The storyline keeps pulling me in, TOO GOOD
- I have fallen in love with the “olden” speech and how Carmody does it. Just sounds so lovely
- The struggles and pressures on Elspeth are dealt with realistically. She isn’t perfect, she shows her fears
- The plot is massive but I’m not getting lost in it all
- The ending h
Liv Dunford
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel as if every book in the Obernewtyn series just keeps on getting better as the storyline progresses. Once again, Carmody introduced new adventures and new characters, which not only broadened the scope of the fiction world, but also invoked a new sense of depth into the plot. I'm really excited to see more of the Gypsy, Swallow, and to learn more about the Sadorian people who were introduced towards the end of the book. I was glad that we got a bit more clarity on Elspeth's quest and how e ...more
LadyMegan
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers,........

Really enjoyed this book, my fav so far. So sad to see Matthew gone, I really hope he comes back. And finally Elspeth and Rushton yay! Love Marumam and Gahltha. So sad to see Dragon hurt. Domick needs a punch on the face for how he is treating Kella. Loved the journey to desert and the games, I've been waiting for something like this to happen, it's all been a bit slow before now. The gypsy and the tattoo still left so much to be explained and to go on with. Elspeth has so much
Maureen
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book is amazing! I can remember reading the first 4 books in this series religiously over and over again as a teenager and this one was always my favorite. Gypsies! Swallow (the Jack Sparrow of the Obernet verse), tattoos of birds (I still want someone to design an Agyllian bird water colour tattoo so I can get it), rebels, battle games, desert people! Also Part 2 had the best drama bomb of the series up to book 4. People who have read this book before will know which part I'm referring to.
Dessa
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgia? Check check check. But unfortunately those rose-coloured glasses can’t cover everything. We’ve got ourselves some stilted language, over-idealized characters, some VERY awkward language surrounding “gypsies” and “half-breeds” that does NOT hold up, and a typical YA romance marred by misunderstandings and bullheadedness. All the same, I remain enamoured with the parts of Carmody’s world-building that really work, and her skill tree of mind powers remains helplessly intriguing and enter ...more
Jax
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, ya
Honestly, I do not know what it is that keeps me coming back.

There were parts of Ashling that were really good, and there were parts that left me bored stupid;
add that to the still unresolved issues I have from the previous books and new inconsistencies… I am not sure whether I’ll continue or not.

With little to no progress made on Elspeth’s quest to find and destroy a nuclear weapon, having to ‘listen’ to her bemoan the waiting is starting to get old.
However, the introduction of the Sadorians
Laurie MacQueen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: g-ya, g-fantasy
Well, this series is a really fun read, especially because every complaint I have about the previous book in the series is fixed in the next one. Honestly, describing this book as dystopian doesn't really do it credit because it is so far removed from some of the shallow, selfish love stories that exist in the genre.

That said... I dislike Elspeth's love interest arc, mainly because I've never seen Rushton as a very developed character.
Emilou
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the plot and the characters, but there's one thing that irritates me so much. I hate how forced the relationship is between Rushton and Elspeth. They have hardly any interaction and the reader has hardly any knowledge about Rushton since he's not in the books much. It feels like the author really wants them together, so they're together. I dislike that. I haven't had a chance to observe the relationship, so I'm not in love with the idea of them being in love. It feels forced.
Miffy
This has been my favourite so far. What an ending! No spoilers, but I'm so glad that I'm going back and reading the ones I missed while I was having kids. The richness of this world is absolutely enhanced by Isobelle's reading. The Keeping Place is downloaded and ready to go next week on the way to work. Amazing.
Amelia Laughlan
A bit meandering throughout the middle, but intriguing enough to keep me hooked. The character development picks up a little here but only for Elspeth and a few main characters. Too many other characters have been neglected in terms of their development. They have names and some have a little backstory but there is not enough attention paid to any of them for me to feel as if they are very real.
Kirsty
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Parts of this I enjoyed, but my overwhelming impression was that this is a 200 page story that is stretched out over 500+ pages. The battlegames right at the end felt a little rushed as well, and some of the major events in this book don't get resolved in this volume which was a bit frustrating. I'm so glad 3swapped over to the audiobook, it helped the last 25% go a lot faster.
Jody Ellis
Another good book, would have been 4 stars if not for the part about tattooing babies. That makes no sense because you'd end up with a stretched and warped image not a beautiful one in adulthood as was described.
Amanda Wells
Although I'm still invested in this ongoing story, I felt this book suffered a little from 'middle book syndrome'. There was a lot going on, but it felt unfinished at the end, in a way that the first two didn't.
Nat
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Possibly this suffers from middle book syndrome, I don't know. Anyway, it's far too long, all of the dialogue and conversations go on for pages, and the main arc was simply not very interesting. I recognise that there was a lot of necessary set up, so I'll keep reading the series.
The Teacher's Library
Racing through this series (although very aware I'm about to start slowing down as the books get looooooong)

I feel like Elspeth grows up a lot in this book, she goes through a lot of loss which helps her reevaluate her priorities and happiness.
BELLE || of the || BOOKSHELVES
I'm not sure why, but this instalment just didn't capture my attention like the previous two did... the pacing seemed to drag, although the plot was great and I look forward to seeing how certain characters lives cross again in the next instalments! And the ending answered my heart's wishes 😍
Kiri
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I like the story well enough, but the quality of writing is exasperating, particularly in the way everything is so overstated.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy - teens with powers like empathy, [s] 14 143 Oct 25, 2013 11:20PM

• Dragon Keeper (Dragon Keeper, #1)
  • The Girl Who Fell (The Chess Raven Chronicles, #1)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3)
  • The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2)
  • The Girl Who Chose (The Chess Raven Chronicles, #2)
  • Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)
  • Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels, #9)
  • The Queen's Bargain (The Black Jewels #10)
  • Faeling for Them (Eight Wings Academy #1)
  • Fireborne (Raven Cursed # 1)
  • The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • The Dark Age (The Ancient Future, #1)
  • Intrigued (The Dark Christmases Trilogy Book 1)
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy

The Obernewtyn Chronicles (7 books)
  • Obernewtyn (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)
  • The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)
  • The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)
  • The Red Queen (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #7)