Start by marking “My Brother's Husband, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

(Otouto no Otto #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  7,433 ratings  ·  1,193 reviews
Yaichi is a work-at-home suburban dad in contemporary Tokyo; formerly married to Natsuki, father to their young daughter, Kana. Their lives suddenly change with the arrival at their doorstep of a hulking, affable Canadian named Mike Flanagan, who declares himself the widower of Yaichi's estranged gay twin, Ryoji. Mike is on a quest to explore Ryoji's past, and the family r ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Pantheon Books (first published May 5th 2015)

·  7,433 ratings  ·  1,193 reviews

Zoë
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a heartwarming story about family, prejudice, cultural differences, and acceptance. As this was one of the first manga volumes I've ever read, I wasn't sure if I would be able to connect with the story or the characters. But after only 50 pages, I absolutely loved our three main characters. The easing tension between Yaichi and Mike felt organic and not rushed, and Kana is simply the cutest!
Pacing, art style, story, and emotions = A+! I immediately ordered the second volume from my libr
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so perfect. SO PERFECT. If you haven't read this yet and you like queer things, READ THIS RIGHT NOW YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT
JV (semi-hiatus)
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JV (semi-hiatus) by: Martin
Uplifting, illuminating, and endearing, My Brother's Husband is an LGBTQ+ manga that deserves to be read due to its timely content, impressive illustration, and inspirational message. The story ebbs and flows in a sonorous yet pleasurable way accentuating romantic and familial love, cultural and gender divergence, tackling homosexuality in a sexually-repressed, homophobic Japanese society, and finally bridging the gap between Eastern and Western identities. Tagame gracefully pens and illustrates ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The art in this manga was BEAUTIFUL and the story was super touching (I nearly cried just from reading the first few pages haha). I also loved how this demonstrated the huge cultural differences between Japan and North America (specifically Canada! Woo!) when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community. This is a beautiful, very important read, and I highly recommend it!
Sam Quixote
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Single dad Yaichi’s estranged gay brother recently passed away. In the wake of his death, his burly, friendly Canadian husband, Mike, has come to Japan to finally meet his brother-in-law and niece for the first time. Mike’s presence forces Yaichi to confront his own deeply-buried prejudices about gay people, as well as address his strangely emotionless and lonely life.

I love Japan, the people and the culture, but, speaking from personal experience/observations, I know many of its societal attit
Lola
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, lgbt
This manga charmed me from the very first page. I was under its spell for the entire reading duration. Actually, it was so well-paced and heartfelt that I read it in one single sitting, and it does contain more than three hundred pages.

It is true that there exist Yaoi manga with characters somewhat discussing the anxiety of being openly gay in Japan—although not as many as needed—but I found the clash of two cultures (Japanese and Canadian) so interesting.

I even learned some things myself. I ha
Martin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Martin by: Adam
I definitely need to re-review this amazing, amazing graphic novel about living as a gay person in Japan...

Ryoji came out to his twin Yiachi at age 15 and due to the Japanese way of dealing with homosexuality by not talking about it - like ever - the brothers grew apart, with Ryoji making a life for himself in Canada and finding a loving husband in Mike Flannagan, a gentle-hearted Canadian.

However, Ryoji dies unexpectedly and Mike decides to visit Japan to meet his late husband's family: His twi
Jaidee
3.5 "funny, affirming, sweet" stars !!

I read this to celebrate Pride Month and since I am a very wild person (NOT) I always try something new for this special time. I am a No longer a Manga virgin !!

First the illustrations are absolutely vivid and beautiful and it was a joy to flip these pages and follow along. Mike, a white Canadian visits Japan after his Japanese husband dies to visit his brother-in-law and niece. All the characters are adorable as they try to grapple with their new relation
Greta
Heartwarming and fairly innocent, inoffensive manga about Kana, a little girl who’s raised by her single father Jaichi, whose identical and gay twin brother Ryoji dies. Ryoji lived in Canada and was married to a huge, burly Canadian Mike who pays Jaichi and his daughter Kana a visit in Japan.

Although this was an endearing all-ages story, with many touching moments, for the most part it felt too didactic and conventional to me, and I think it’s more suited for teenagers. The author attempts to t
April (Aprilius Maximus)

-----------------------------------------------

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Whitney Atkinson
TW: homophobia

My reading experience of this was greatly enhanced by the fact that Anderson Cooper blurbed this, and I had an out of body yet special experience knowing I was reading something that Anderson Cooper has also read. But I also enjoyed this book for what it was. The storyline of challenging your own belief systems and culture in order to be more accepting was touching, and seeing how a young girl interacted so positively with her gay uncle in a community that otherwise shunned him was
David Schaafsma
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn-glbt, manga-seinen
Wow, I loved this first volume of a manga series about Yaichi, divorced father of Kana, formerly married to Netsuki, and twin brother of Ryoji, who was gay. Ryoji died a month ago, in Canada, where he was married to Mike Flanagan, who arrives at Yaichi's doorstep to see the Japan Ryoji had always talked about, and to visit his brother-in-law and niece! Not that this is initially easy, since Ryoji and Yaichi were estranged when Ryoji left Japan ten years ago. He reluctantly allows Mike to stay at ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1 ★★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★★

My Brother's Husband has to be one of the most precious, heartwarming, lovable things I've ever read in my life. I was totally smitten from the very first page, and that feeling only grew stronger with each passing moment. I read the entire book over my lunch break and immediately placed a hold on the second (and final, sadly!) volume, because I have to continue it as soon as possible.

This manga covers so many emotions, it's wild — it's tragic due to both of these men hav
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
This manga is about a lot of things - family, estrangement, the Japanese perception of homosexuality as well as other things that strike a chord of your heart. This is bittersweet, fun and utterly entertaining.

Comprehensive review to follow.

Image result for my brothers husband
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Confession: this is my first manga so it took me a while to adjust to reading back to front pagewise and right to left cellwise, but it was worth the effort.

One day a bearish Canadian named Mike turns up at Yaichi's home in Japan and says he is Yaichi's twin's widower, in Japan to experience the small things that made up his husband's childhood. What follows is some cultural exchange made more possible by the curious daughter Kana.

The translation is fun because when words are used for emotions t
Richard Derus
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Richard by: Book Riot
Rating: 3.5* of five, rounded up because half-stars will never come to Goodreads

Reading the manga way is weird for Westerners, or at any rate old ones like me. Back to front, right to left...and add in the graphic parts! Well, it was a read outside my comfort zone. The more alert among you will have noticed a favorable star rating atop the review's text. I liked the story of a man's journey from unquestioning homophobia to questioning discomfort through to earnest effort to understand and integr
Glenn Sumi
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet and slightly sentimental manga about how a child’s innocent perspective changes her prejudiced father’s idea about his late brother’s homosexuality.

Single Tokyo dad Yaichi and his daughter Kana take in Mike Flanagan, the white, Canadian husband of Yaichi’s estranged twin brother, Ryochi, who recently passed away. Mike has come looking to learn more about Ryo’s past.

Kana instantly takes to Mike, and vice versa, but it takes longer to win over Yaichi, who, while superficially polite, has
Julie
So, you know how supposedly there aren't any gay people in Russia?

Well, apparently there aren't too many in Japan, either.

But, somehow, a Japanese man named Ryoji becomes gay, despite the country's impeccable heterosexual record (was it contaminated green tea that did it?), and he flees to North America, the continent of the gays.

There he meets a hairy Canadian named Mike Flanagan, falls in love, gets married, then, unfortunately, dies too young.

The grief-stricken Canadian husband then travels t
Katie
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adored this! Highly recommend if you're in the mood for a heartwarming manga :)
Lauren
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS!!

What can I say about this manga which hasn't already been said before?! My Brother's Husband focuses on Yaichi and his daughter, Kana, who welcome Mike, a gay Canadian who was married to Yaichi's twin brother, Ryoji, into their home. What follows is a very touching and important story about Japanese culture on homosexuality.

Kana is absolutely adorable - she comes out with some very blunt questions about queer marriage and the more intimate side of these relationships, much to her
Skye Kilaen
Fascinating, heartstring-pulling graphic novel duology about a Japanese single father, Yaichi, whose estranged gay twin brother Ryoji moved to Canada and married a Canadian man named Mike. After Ryoji passes away, Mike comes to see Ryoji's Japan for the first time and get to know his lost husband's family. Yaichi has never confronted his own homophobia until Mike arrives. His daughter Kana bonds with Mike immediately, but Yaichi has a more difficult time, though he works at questioning his own a ...more
CG
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great start to a manga series. Cute, light-hearted, and it still managed to deal with a lot of the deeper societal issues tons of people face.
Needless to say I'm a fan! And definitely interested in reading the future volumes!
Ije the Devourer of Books
Such a beautiful story with the best manga artwork that I have ever come across. Gengoroh Tagame is known for his erotic gay manga but this book is a departure from that genre. In this volume Gengoroh Tagame has produced a beautiful story that is suitable for all ages and one that conveys thoughtful messages about homosexuality and cross cultural understandings of same sex relationships.

Yaichi is a single father bringing up his lively young daughter Kana. He lives a quiet life but this changes w
David Schaafsma
Hollis
Not quite what I expected. It feels a little stiff and one-dimensional right now. Hoping volume two is better.
Claire
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2019
An interesting insight into just how conservative Japanese society is, My Brother’s Husband is a sweet story about diversity, acceptance, the innocence of children, and the weight of social expectation. Although I think these stories are important, I felt that this one barely strayed from conventional narratives and themes, so at time it struggled to hold my attention.
Lauren
A "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" scenario, retold/re-framed in this endearing manga. When Yaichi's twin brother unexpectedly dies, his husband visits Japan to meet his brother-in-law, and to connect with the memories of his home country. Mike is a lovable Canadian, and immediately captures the heart of young Kana, Yaichi's daughter.

The story ended abruptly, so I was glad to see there is a Volume 2. I want to see what happens next with this fun trio.
Conor
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was cute. A bit too "wow, I never thought of it before, but gays are people too!" and 90's family sitcom at times, but touching in others. A short read.

From the back cover it seems that Anderson Cooper may be a bit more excited about the sequel than I am. But I may check it out.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
This is so good and heartbreaking! I think the "the straight guy has to come to terms with his own homophobia" narrative has a lot of potential to feel forced and kind of...wrong, but it was so well done here and we have to keep in mind this isn't primarily written for a western audience so our filters shouldn't necessarily always apply to all kinds of stories, and specifically not to this one.

I can't wait to read more and I would definitely recommend!
Erica
Here's a cute story about a guy and his daughter and the guy's brother-in-law who comes to stay with said guy and daughter after guy's brother dies.

It's a little ham fisted in its message of acceptance and inclusion, highlighting the thought processes, thanks mostly to the openness of his daughter, of a seemingly straight Japanese man coming to terms with his estranged twin brother's sexuality and death, of trying to reconcile his preconceived beliefs about homosexuality while sharing his home w

• ひだまりが聴こえる [Hidamari ga kikoeru]
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 2
  • Sweetness and Lightning 2
  • What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Volume 4
  • ゴールデンカムイ 1
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Hanayome wa Motodanshi
  • Princess Jellyfish 2-in-1 Omnibus, Volume 2 (Princess Jellyfish 2-in-1 Omnibus, #2)
  • Letters for Lucardo, Vol. 1
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns
  • Boundless
  • Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Goodnight Punpun Omnibus, Vol. 6
  • Taproot
Gengoroh Tagame is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in gay BDSM erotic manga, many of which depict graphic violence. The men he depicts are hypermasculine, and tend to be on the bearish side.

Born into a family descended from samurai, Tagame began his career as a manga artist in 1982, while he was studying graphic design at Tama Art University (多摩美術大学). His works have been published in sever

Otouto no Otto (4 books)