Start by marking “My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (Otouto no Otto, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (Otouto no Otto, #1-2)

My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

(Otouto no Otto #1-2)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  8,400 ratings  ·  1,333 reviews
Yaichi is a work-at-home suburban dad in contemporary Tokyo; formerly married to Natsuki, father to their young daughter, Kana. Their lives suddenly change with the arrival at their doorstep of a hulking, affable Canadian named Mike Flanagan, who declares himself the widower of Yaichi's estranged gay twin, Ryoji. Mike is on a quest to explore Ryoji's past, and the family r ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Pantheon Books (first published May 5th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother's Husband, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

·  8,400 ratings  ·  1,333 reviews

Start your review of My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (Otouto no Otto, #1-2)
Zoë
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a heartwarming story about family, prejudice, cultural differences, and acceptance. As this was one of the first manga volumes I've ever read, I wasn't sure if I would be able to connect with the story or the characters. But after only 50 pages, I absolutely loved our three main characters. The easing tension between Yaichi and Mike felt organic and not rushed, and Kana is simply the cutest!
Pacing, art style, story, and emotions = A+! I immediately ordered the second volume from my libr
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, favorites
This was so perfect. SO PERFECT. If you haven't read this yet and you like queer things, READ THIS RIGHT NOW YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT ...more
JV (semi-hiatus)
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to JV (semi-hiatus) by: Martin
Uplifting, illuminating, and endearing, My Brother's Husband is an LGBTQ+ manga that deserves to be read due to its timely content, impressive illustration, and inspirational message. The story ebbs and flows in a sonorous yet pleasurable way accentuating romantic and familial love, cultural and gender divergence, tackling homosexuality in a sexually-repressed, homophobic Japanese society, and finally bridging the gap between Eastern and Western identities. Tagame gracefully pens and illustrates ...more
Sam Quixote
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Single dad Yaichi’s estranged gay brother recently passed away. In the wake of his death, his burly, friendly Canadian husband, Mike, has come to Japan to finally meet his brother-in-law and niece for the first time. Mike’s presence forces Yaichi to confront his own deeply-buried prejudices about gay people, as well as address his strangely emotionless and lonely life.

I love Japan, the people and the culture, but, speaking from personal experience/observations, I know many of its societal attit
Martin
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Martin by: Adam
I definitely need to re-review this amazing, amazing graphic novel about living as a gay person in Japan...

Ryoji came out to his twin Yiachi at age 15 and due to the Japanese way of dealing with homosexuality by not talking about it - like ever - the brothers grew apart, with Ryoji making a life for himself in Canada and finding a loving husband in Mike Flannagan, a gentle-hearted Canadian.

However, Ryoji dies unexpectedly and Mike decides to visit Japan to meet his late husband's family: His twi
Greta G
Heartwarming and fairly innocent, inoffensive manga about Kana, a little girl who’s raised by her single father Jaichi, whose identical and gay twin brother Ryoji dies. Ryoji lived in Canada and was married to a huge, burly Canadian Mike who pays Jaichi and his daughter Kana a visit in Japan.

Although this was an endearing all-ages story, with many touching moments, for the most part it felt too didactic and conventional to me, and I think it’s more suited for teenagers. The author attempts to t
* A Reader Obsessed *
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, z-2019
4 Stars

I’m not an expert in manga by any means, but I can see how this story has hopefully made some strides in breaking some barriers towards acceptance, not only in Japan but everywhere.

Yaichi is confronted with his dead brother Ryoji’s truth in the form of Ryoji’s big Canadian widower Mike, who shows up hoping to go down memory lane and connect with Ryoji’s family whom he’s never met. Though Yaichi never rejected his twin, he wasn’t as accepting either and his natural inclination to ignore or
April (Aprilius Maximus)

-----------------------------------------------

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Whitney Atkinson
TW: homophobia

My reading experience of this was greatly enhanced by the fact that Anderson Cooper blurbed this, and I had an out of body yet special experience knowing I was reading something that Anderson Cooper has also read. But I also enjoyed this book for what it was. The storyline of challenging your own belief systems and culture in order to be more accepting was touching, and seeing how a young girl interacted so positively with her gay uncle in a community that otherwise shunned him was
Dave Schaafsma
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-seinen, gn-glbt
Wow, I loved this first volume of a manga series about Yaichi, divorced father of Kana, formerly married to Netsuki, and twin brother of Ryoji, who was gay. Ryoji died a month ago, in Canada, where he was married to Mike Flanagan, who arrives at Yaichi's doorstep to see the Japan Ryoji had always talked about, and to visit his brother-in-law and niece! Not that this is initially easy, since Ryoji and Yaichi were estranged when Ryoji left Japan ten years ago. He reluctantly allows Mike to stay at ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 1 ★★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★★

My Brother's Husband has to be one of the most precious, heartwarming, lovable things I've ever read in my life. I was totally smitten from the very first page, and that feeling only grew stronger with each passing moment. I read the entire book over my lunch break and immediately placed a hold on the second (and final, sadly!) volume, because I have to continue it as soon as possible.

This manga covers so many emotions, it's wild — it's tragic due to both of these men ha
The Artisan Geek
3/5/21
Great! Excited to see more of Tagame's PG work :)

26/4/21
This manga has been recommended to me so often! Will be picking it up coming week! :D

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website | The Storygraph
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
This manga is about a lot of things - family, estrangement, the Japanese perception of homosexuality as well as other things that strike a chord of your heart. This is bittersweet, fun and utterly entertaining.

Comprehensive review to follow.

Image result for my brothers husband
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Confession: this is my first manga so it took me a while to adjust to reading back to front pagewise and right to left cellwise, but it was worth the effort.

One day a bearish Canadian named Mike turns up at Yaichi's home in Japan and says he is Yaichi's twin's widower, in Japan to experience the small things that made up his husband's childhood. What follows is some cultural exchange made more possible by the curious daughter Kana.

The translation is fun because when words are used for emotions t
Richard Derus
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Richard by: Book Riot
Rating: 3.5* of five, rounded up because half-stars will never come to Goodreads

Reading the manga way is weird for Westerners, or at any rate old ones like me. Back to front, right to left...and add in the graphic parts! Well, it was a read outside my comfort zone. The more alert among you will have noticed a favorable star rating atop the review's text. I liked the story of a man's journey from unquestioning homophobia to questioning discomfort through to earnest effort to understand and integr
Glenn Sumi
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet and slightly sentimental manga about how a child’s innocent perspective changes her prejudiced father’s idea about his late brother’s homosexuality.

Single Tokyo dad Yaichi and his daughter Kana take in Mike Flanagan, the white, Canadian husband of Yaichi’s estranged twin brother, Ryochi, who recently passed away. Mike has come looking to learn more about Ryo’s past.

Kana instantly takes to Mike, and vice versa, but it takes longer to win over Yaichi, who, while superficially polite, has
Lauren
A "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" scenario, retold/re-framed in this endearing manga. When Yaichi's twin brother unexpectedly dies, his husband visits Japan to meet his brother-in-law, and to connect with the memories of his home country. Mike is a lovable Canadian, and immediately captures the heart of young Kana, Yaichi's daughter.

The story ended abruptly, so I was glad to see there is a Volume 2. I want to see what happens next with this fun trio.

**Reread January 2021 in prep for V2 - loved i
Lauren
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
ALL THE STARS!!

What can I say about this manga which hasn't already been said before?! My Brother's Husband focuses on Yaichi and his daughter, Kana, who welcome Mike, a gay Canadian who was married to Yaichi's twin brother, Ryoji, into their home. What follows is a very touching and important story about Japanese culture on homosexuality.

Kana is absolutely adorable - she comes out with some very blunt questions about queer marriage and the more intimate side of these relationships, much to her
Skye Kilaen
Fascinating, heartstring-pulling graphic novel duology about a Japanese single father, Yaichi, whose estranged gay twin brother Ryoji moved to Canada and married a Canadian man named Mike. After Ryoji passes away, Mike comes to see Ryoji's Japan for the first time and get to know his lost husband's family. Yaichi has never confronted his own homophobia until Mike arrives. His daughter Kana bonds with Mike immediately, but Yaichi has a more difficult time, though he works at questioning his own a ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
Such a beautiful story with the best manga artwork that I have ever come across. Gengoroh Tagame is known for his erotic gay manga but this book is a departure from that genre. In this volume Gengoroh Tagame has produced a beautiful story that is suitable for all ages and one that conveys thoughtful messages about homosexuality and cross cultural understandings of same sex relationships.

Yaichi is a single father bringing up his lively young daughter Kana. He lives a quiet life but this changes w
Erica
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sad and sweet story. Looking forward to reading the next volume.
Claire
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-harder-2019
An interesting insight into just how conservative Japanese society is, My Brother’s Husband is a sweet story about diversity, acceptance, the innocence of children, and the weight of social expectation. Although I think these stories are important, I felt that this one barely strayed from conventional narratives and themes, so at time it struggled to hold my attention.
David
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The one thing this manga volume makes clear is that Japan is not nearly as progressive regarding support and protection for same-sex relationships as many other open, first-world nations. Reading it was a reminder of how far many other countries have journeyed by comparison.

This was a simple, basic, quickly-absorbed story. It is likely to be much more powerful for readers who have never deeply considered what it means to have friends, family members, coworkers, or neighbors who identify as gay.
Conor Ahern
This was cute. A bit too "wow, I never thought of it before, but gays are people too!" and 90's family sitcom at times, but touching in others. A short read.

From the back cover it seems that Anderson Cooper may be a bit more excited about the sequel than I am. But I may check it out.
Chessa
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, graphic-novel
I loved this so much. Just, incredibly sweet and so many tender feelings. Highly recommend!
Saajid Hosein
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute!!!

A wonderful and necessary read! I loved the art, the story, the themes and pretty much everything about it. Highly recommend.
Erica
Here's a cute story about a guy and his daughter and the guy's brother-in-law who comes to stay with said guy and daughter after guy's brother dies.

It's a little ham fisted in its message of acceptance and inclusion, highlighting the thought processes, thanks mostly to the openness of his daughter, of a seemingly straight Japanese man coming to terms with his estranged twin brother's sexuality and death, of trying to reconcile his preconceived beliefs about homosexuality while sharing his home w
Emma
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This manga tells a nice story about a man meeting his brother's husband for the first time. I think that at first Yaichi had a lot of prejudices but thanks to Mike he's definitely coming to terms with them and understanding how wrong and senseless they are. Someone who is helping him realize that is his lovely daughter Kana. This child is the purest little person ever and she loves her uncle Mike with all her being, their relationship is really sweet.
I'm really looking forward to reading Volume
Caroline
OKAY WOW!! I feel like I just want to scream about how much I loved this and how I want everyone to read it and it was just so good and I'm so glad I used my birthday money to buy this because I feel like crying whenever I think about some of the moments in it guys seriously it is so fucking good!

There are some MAJOR cultural differences between Japan and countries like America or Australia. This manga is about a Japanese single father whose twin brother lived in Canada and was married to a man
rachel ☾
#1) My Brother's Husband, Vol. 2 ★★★★☆

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).

Representation: Yaichi (mc) is Japanese; Kana (mc) is Japanese; Mike (mc) is gay.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
Goodreads Librari...: please delete link to illegal reading source 2 32 Jun 05, 2017 08:58PM

• Bloom
  • Our Dreams at Dusk: Shimanami Tasogare, Vol. 1 (Shimanami Tasogare, #1)
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey
  • Fence, Vol. 1
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • 極主夫道〈1〉 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • Mąż mojego brata #2
  • Mooncakes
  • Gender Queer
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • Check, Please!, Book 2: Sticks & Scones
  • Our Dining Table
  • Bingo Love
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • The Times I Knew I Was Gay
  • I Hear the Sunspot
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
Gengoroh Tagame is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in gay BDSM erotic manga, many of which depict graphic violence. The men he depicts are hypermasculine, and tend to be on the bearish side.

Born into a family descended from samurai, Tagame began his career as a manga artist in 1982, while he was studying graphic design at Tama Art University (多摩美術大学). His works have been published in sever

Otouto no Otto (4 books)
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (Otouto no Otto, #1)
  • Le mari de mon frère, tome 2 (Le mari de mon frère, #2)
  • 弟の夫 3 [Otouto no Otto 3]