Start by marking “My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (My Brother's Husband Omnibus, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (My Brother's Husband Omnibus, #1)

My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 (Otouto no Otto #1-2)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  1,562 Ratings  ·  301 Reviews
Yaichi is a work-at-home suburban dad in contemporary Tokyo; formerly married to Natsuki, father to their young daughter, Kana. Their lives suddenly change with the arrival at their doorstep of a hulking, affable Canadian named Mike Flanagan, who declares himself the widower of Yaichi's estranged gay twin, Ryoji. Mike is on a quest to explore Ryoji's past, and the family r ...more
Published May 2nd 2017 by Pantheon Books (first published May 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about My Brother's Husband, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Brother's Husband, Volume 1

Raeleen Lemay
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The art in this manga was BEAUTIFUL and the story was super touching (I nearly cried just from reading the first few pages haha). I also loved how this demonstrated the huge cultural differences between Japan and North America (specifically Canada! Woo!) when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community. This is a beautiful, very important read, and I highly recommend it!
Lola
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This manga charmed me from the very first page. I was under its spell for the entire reading duration. Actually, it was so well-paced and heartfelt that I read it in one single sitting, and it does contain more than three hundred pages.

It is true that there exist Yaoi manga with characters somewhat discussing the anxiety of being openly gay in Japan—although not as many as needed—but I found the clash of two cultures (Japanese and Canadian) so interesting.

I even learned some things myself. I ha
Sam Quixote
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Single dad Yaichi’s estranged gay brother recently passed away. In the wake of his death, his burly, friendly Canadian husband, Mike, has come to Japan to finally meet his brother-in-law and niece for the first time. Mike’s presence forces Yaichi to confront his own deeply-buried prejudices about gay people, as well as address his strangely emotionless and lonely life.

I love Japan, the people and the culture, but, speaking from personal experience/observations, I know many of its societal attit
Richard Derus
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Richard by: Book Riot
Rating: 3.5* of five, rounded up because half-stars will never come to Goodreads

Reading the manga way is weird for Westerners, or at any rate old ones like me. Back to front, right to left...and add in the graphic parts! Well, it was a read outside my comfort zone. The more alert among you will have noticed a favorable star rating atop the review's text. I liked the story of a man's journey from unquestioning homophobia to questioning discomfort through to earnest effort to understand and integr
Lauren
A "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" scenario, retold/re-framed in this endearing manga. When Yaichi's twin brother unexpectedly dies, his husband visits Japan to meet his brother-in-law, and to connect with the memories of his home country. Mike is a lovable Canadian, and immediately captures the heart of young Kana, Yaichi's daughter.

The story ended abruptly, so I was glad to see there is a Volume 2. I want to see what happens next with this fun trio.
Chessa
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, queer
I loved this so much. Just, incredibly sweet and so many tender feelings. Highly recommend!
Ije the Devourer of Books
Such a beautiful story with the best manga artwork that I have ever come across. Gengoroh Tagame is known for his erotic gay manga but this book is a departure from that genre. In this volume Gengoroh Tagame has produced a beautiful story that is suitable for all ages and one that conveys thoughtful messages about homosexuality and cross cultural understandings of same sex relationships.

Yaichi is a single father bringing up his lively young daughter Kana. He lives a quiet life but this changes w
Caroline
OKAY WOW!! I feel like I just want to scream about how much I loved this and how I want everyone to read it and it was just so good and I'm so glad I used my birthday money to buy this because I feel like crying whenever I think about some of the moments in it guys seriously it is so fucking good!

There are some MAJOR cultural differences between Japan and countries like America or Australia. This manga is about a Japanese single father whose twin brother lived in Canada and was married to a man
Conor
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This was cute. A bit too "wow, I never thought of it before, but gays are people too!" and 90's family sitcom at times, but touching in others. A short read.

From the back cover it seems that Anderson Cooper may be a bit more excited about the sequel than I am. But I may check it out.
Erica
Here's a cute story about a guy and his daughter and the guy's brother-in-law who comes to stay with said guy and daughter after guy's brother dies.

It's a little ham fisted in its message of acceptance and inclusion, highlighting the thought processes, thanks mostly to the openness of his daughter, of a seemingly straight Japanese man coming to terms with his estranged twin brother's sexuality and death, of trying to reconcile his preconceived beliefs about homosexuality while sharing his home w
Ana
Read Harder Challenge 2018

#4. A comic written and illustrated by the same person
Raina
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Engaging, charming, didactic story about a guy forced to confront his homophobia. His brother's husband visits from North America, and he has to decide how he's going to handle this, especially pertaining to how he frames it for his young daughter.

I have a hard time with manga generally, and found this easier to get through than most. That could be my soft spot for the subject matter, of course.
That said, I'm not particularly tempted to pick up the second volume.
Sabrina
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So touching 💜
Sherry
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english
While this is a book by Gengoroh Tagame, it is different from what he usually draws. Here we have a book for all ages which tells us the story about Yaichi and his daughter Kana who meet Yaichi's deceased brother's husband, Mike, for the first time. Although Yaichi knew that his brother was gay, and thought he had accepted it, his brother felt that Yaichi had, maybe unconsciously, withdrawn himself after he came out to him. While Mike is staying with Yaichi and Kana, Kana accepts Mike as he his ...more
Ryan
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Finished reading “My Brother’s Husband, vol. 1” by Gengoroh Tagame; I’m stunned. This graphic novel blew me away with it’s panels of silent faces full of raw emotion and tenderness that I don’t normally get from manga. When Yaichi answers the door, he never expected his twin brother’s Canadian husband, Mike and he certainly did not expect his daughter Kana to invite him into their home so eagerly. • This book explores themes of family, loss, acceptance and so much more. Dozens of panels are fill ...more
Jenne
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Sweet and sad.
Miriam
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Because I grew up in San Francisco, it took me a minute to parse what was supposed to be noteworthy about the title.
Danyo
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi ero fatto un'idea tutta mia in testa riguardo questo manga (non avevo letto recensioni o sinossi, semplicemente mi ha attirato per il titolo e l'immagine in copertina), e sono rimasto piacevolmente sorpreso dalla trama e dal suo sviluppo. Non è, come erroneamente pensavo, una storia d'amore raccontata con gli occhi di una bambina. Yaichi e la figlia Kana vivono insieme a Tokyo: un bel giorno irrompe Mike nelle loro vite, ossia il marito del defunto fratello gemello di Yaichi, ossia Ryoji. La ...more
Ann Smith
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my first experience of manga and I am not sure it was the best example to start with. I found it a little difficult at first to read 'backwards'but soon managed to adjust but the whole thing seemed rather simplistic and when it seemed to be about to explore its subject matter on a deeper level, it veered away. It was a pleasant enough read and I may pick up the next volume, just to see how the story develops.
Aerialpig
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this quick read. Gengoroh Tagame takes sensitive topics that might be complicated to explain and deals with them with a clarity and simplicity, helping to create a heartfelt narrative. His art communicates the emotional states of the characters in such a way that I find myself wanting to be friends with them. It's beautiful, it's a testament to the power of comics. I'm looking forward to the next volume!
Lindsey
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I had never read manga until YALSA's Hub Challenge 2017 and I liked that the 2018 Challenge has pushed me to read another. I enjoyed the story though the characters didn't feel deep - this may be a manga thing that I don't know about.
Nina
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet story and interesting to get a Japanese perspective. Sweet Kana is so lovely and refreshing and seeing her dad start looking at his own reactions through her eyes and questions helps show his growth.
Kazia
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-comics
Honestly I loved this so much and I will hold this sweet, thoughtful story in my heart for a long long while
Jenna
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was phenomenal. It was adorably cute but it also addressed such difficult topics. I love how it was approached. I am pretty certain this is my all time favorite Manga!
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
I really appreciated the story of this manga, especially the cultural insight.
Bahia
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story about love, acceptance, family, and being gay in Japan. I highly recommend this book.
Elizabeth Chesak
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This story was so sweet it gave me cavities wtf
Andrea
Aug 07, 2017 marked it as to-read
Is that guy wearing a Canadian Tire t-shirt?? So patriotic!
Ian Holmes
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderfully paced book with so much heart. I can't wait to read the next one.
Ben
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-bookshelf
4.5/5 Absolutely adored this story
Goodreads Librari...: please delete link to illegal reading source 2 25 Jun 05, 2017 08:58PM
Gengoroh Tagame is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in gay BDSM erotic manga, many of which depict graphic violence. The men he depicts are hypermasculine, and tend to be on the bearish side.

Born into a family descended from samurai, Tagame began his career as a manga artist in 1982, while he was studying graphic design at Tama Art University (多摩美術大学). His works have been published in sever
More about Gengoroh Tagame

Otouto no Otto (5 books)
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 1
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 2
  • 弟の夫 3 (Otouto no Otto, #3)
  • 弟の夫 4
  • My Brother's Husband, Volume 2 (My Brother's Husband Omnibus, #2)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Sideways
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Warleggan: A Novel of Cornwall, 1792-1793 (Poldark)
  • I Capture the Castle
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things