Start by marking “Walking Wounded” as Want to Read:
Walking Wounded

Walking Wounded

4.68  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Born at the end of the First World War, a young girl struggles to find her own identity in her big family and is pushed into a stormy marriage through a terrible misunderstanding from which her pride refuses to let her back down. As her own personal world begins to crumble, the foundation of the world around her is shaken as Germany once again declares war and her brothers ...more
Published September 30th 2016 by Amolibros

To ask other readers questions about Walking Wounded, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Wounded

Nerdish Mum
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, read-2017
I honestly can't remember the last time a book touched me quite as much as Walking Wounded. This book is beautiful, heartbreaking and real.

Walking Wounded is beautifully written, the story is woven in such a way that keeps you fully immersed in the characters lives and you don't want to put the book down and leave them. You need to know what happened next.

The characters are all extremely realistic and I fell in love with each and everyone of them....well except one of course, one I was horrifi
Alison
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you get a book that is just so powerful it leaves you struggling to find words to describe it’s beauty, integrity and pure eloquence. It’s very rare in fact but this is one of those books.

Written with so much passion and gut-wrenching feeling. I was there and part of this family from the first sentence! I am of an age where my grandparents were alive during the first war and my parents during the second so I have grown up hearing various snippets and stories. Anna tells it from the hea
Kelly
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly fantastic story that takes you on a families journey throughout World War 1 & 2. Written from the perspective of the women in the family who are left behind and how they adapt their lives and how they try to find ways for their family to move on.

I finished this book in a day as found it gripping, the descriptions of the family members allowed you to visualise them. I loved the delivery of the book showing compassion and just how destructive the wars were to families.

The ending of the
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
'He awoke with a shock as an icy rivulet of water finally penetrated the gap between his collar and his neck and trickled down inside his sodden greatcoat’ ~ 1918, Mons, Belgium, 5 a.m.

Walking Wounded is a stunning debut novel from Anna Franklin Osborne. Spanning the period from the Armistice of the First World War to the exodus of the Ten Pound Poms to Australia in the 1950s, this book packs a punch in just 188 pages.

Published in 2016 by GooseWing Publications, Walking Wounded is a novel insp
ChillwithabookAWARD With
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Walking Wounded has been honoured with a Chill with a Book Readers' Award.
www.chillwithabook.com
Adele
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This was such a profoundly emotive story that deeply moved me. At one point I had to pause from reading due to the tears blurring my vision. Anna Franklin Osborne has taken me on a very real emotional journey, a journey that millions took that had no choice but to “Keep Calm and Carry On” but behind the smiles lay troubled souls and broken hearts.

This family saga started back in 1918 travelling through to 1952 on the life of one family coping and trying to survive what life through at them. Thro
Katie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think I'll be able to put together a review that does this absolutely stunning book any justice but I say try. Walking Wounded was a very powerful and thought provoking novel which I absolutely adored. I don't read many World War Two novels, the only one I can think of is Goodnight Mister Tom so it was a refreshing change to escape back into the past.

We follow the story of one family from the end of World War One right through to the end of World War Two and to the start of the 1950's.
Caron Mackenzie
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing story of 3 generations as they live, love, toil through two world wars. Their hopes, fears, and tragedies binding them together. A story of deep family love. I'm not going to be able to pick up another book for a bit until I can disengage from these amazing people. A fantastic story, beautifully written. Thank you Anna Osborne!  Please hurry and write a sequel.
Debs
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! What a fantastic read! This writer certainly knows how to paint a picture- I almost felt I was there with them.
I found it very moving and certainly now have an idea what families went through! I certainly am glad I didn't have to go through any of it and am grateful for those who did - looking forward immensely to reading another by this author!
Susan Hampson
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-reads
It is such a tragedy for any family to have gone through the horrors of a world war but for families to have gone through two in their life time is just devastating. Well this story follows the Johnson family and takes you into a time period from the Armistice of the First World War to the early 1950's.
What a very touching story this is, that follows the lives of a family 0ver a 30 year period. Although we were victorious in war the men that returned from fighting just didn't resemble winners. T
booksofallkinds
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WALKING WOUNDED by Anna Franklin Osborne is a deeply moving, emotional tale about family, love, and loss during war-time England. From World War I to World War II we follow the lives of one family of siblings as they endeavour to live their lives while carnage rages around them. While some of the men suffer the horrors of war as soldiers, we also get to feel the sacrifices and horrors that face those that are left behind to carry on and pick up the pieces, waiting for their men to return home. T ...more
Mary Over 40 and a Mum to One
I've really loved reading this book. It hooked me in right from the start and the characters are really believable. It's a story of family, wrong decisions and misguided loyalty dealing with life in war torn England whilst the men are away at war. It's beautifully written and I found myself willing the main character, May, to walk away from the choices she made, start again and by happy. Will she? You'll need to read the book for yourself.
Jess
Jul 15, 2017
Helen Hollick
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book has received a Discovering Diamonds Review:
"A powerful tribute to those who had no choice but to stay, often with no news good or bad."

Helen Hollick
Rachel Bustin
Feb 04, 2017
Anne Sutherland
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What can I say, what a great read. I sat down to read this book and did not put it down until I had finished reading....all in one sitting. It was like I was part of this family, sharing the joys and sadness. Bravo to Anna for such an enthralling read. Thank you. More to come I hope.
Mistress  #darklings