Start by marking “Living with the Living Dead: The Wisdom of the Zombie Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Living with the Living Dead: The Wisdom of the Zombie Apocalypse

Living with the Living Dead: The Wisdom of the Zombie Apocalypse

When humankind faces what it perceives as a threat to its very existence, a macabre thing happens in art, literature, and culture: corpses begin to stand up and walk around. The dead walked in the fourteenth century, when the Black Death and other catastrophes roiled Europe. They walked in images from World War I, when a generation died horribly in the trenches. They walke ...more
Published June 1st 2017 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Living with the Living Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living with the Living Dead

Brandi
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was rather surprised this book was as heavy with religion as it was, since I did not get that from the summary for the work that is written on Goodreads. Some readers may take issue with it, but the book is still an interesting read. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a zombie apocalypse and with several dive bars near where I live, sometimes, late at night, it looks like the zombie apocalypse, but I digress...
Overall, Mr. Greg Garrett's book is an interesting study of the current zombie phe
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

DNF at 40%

Ten Second Synopsis:

I put this one down after 40% simply because I felt the author had done his job too well, and I had heard enough on the topic that I agreed with. The book highlights the ways in which the imagery of the undead often accompanies moments in history that trigger instability and a sense of
Robert D. Cornwall
Is there wisdom to be found in stories of a Zombie Apocalypse? That is a difficult question for me to answer, since I have tended to avoid novels and movies that involve the living dead. Maybe it was going to see Dracula as a child (I had nightmares) that has made me squeamish about such things. In any case, Greg Garrett has written a book to help us discern just such wisdom.

With great dexterity, Garrett, who teaches English at Baylor University and is an ordained Episcopal priest, weaves reflec
Jonathan
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall, the book wasn't bad. It's put into 4 chapters with a conclusion as, arguably, a very long thesis. It ties the study of Zombies in pop-culture to religious studies, as well as other codified beliefs outside religious spectrums, and then dances into human behavior, outright, on and off again.

If I have any qualm with the writing, it has to be this: the repetition of key scenes from select movies and shows makes the book, at times, feel unnecessarily tedious. Throughout the chapters, the sa
Steve Wiggins
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
What's not to like about zombies? Greg Garrett introduces an unexpected theme here with zombies and their religious implications. These two ideas are naturally compatible since the original idea of a zombie derived from Haitian religion. Of course, the zombies in popular culture are something quite different. Garrett ably mines the concept for meaning in understanding religion.

Popular culture demonstrates that religion is not really dead. There are many implications for this way of thinking, for
Dan
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I’m not sure what I think of this book. Although, the author does an in depth study of society’s obsession with zombies and the zombie apocalypse, I feel it wasn’t enough for a full book. He does compare various zombie movies and the human need for survival and does tie it with religion. Some of it was repetitious and I found myself skimming through some of it. He acknowledges many movies and sometimes over and over again. It is an admirable attempt but too long.
Amy
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love zombie stories and movies, so I jumped at the chance to win this book through Firstreads. This book is quite insightful as to why people are fascinated with zombies. I can't say any of his conclusions surprised me, as I've had many discussions about these same reasons over the years. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in understanding the zombie craze or the psychology behind it.
Jennifer Phillips
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this an interesting read, but one that for me that would be better read within a group where you can have discussions as you go along chapter by chapter. I do think this book would be a good one for Pop-culture classes to delve into, discuss, and compare to today's tumultuous times and/or what could become of our futures, as it does have these aspects within it, and could be used for a good debate.
Cat Calcagno
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I was one of those people who definitely didn't get why zombie stories are so popular today and this book opened my eyes to a lot of the appeal and start to recognize tropes in these narratives that I've never noticed before. I'm seriously way more interested in zombie stories now after reading this.
Matthew
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
An in-depth examination of the popularity of the zombie apocalypse and the social environments that give rise to this. I would say this book is for all the folks who, like me, are asking: why are zombies so popular? Garrett's book considers an answer from a variety of lenses.
Fran
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
While a trifle heavy on the religious side, this was an interesting look at the psychology and philosophy behind the media fascination with zombies.
Sofia
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, favorites
A very heartwarming reflection on a subgenre I love. A reminder to carry the light in the darkest times.
Lisa Van
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
In my opinion the book was okay. As I was reading I felt a little bored I think because it was repeated movie references and other points.
Daniel

Brad Thomas
Aug 22, 2017
Chris Hill
Feb 18, 2018
Greg Garrett is the author of novels, including The Prodigal (with Brennan Manning), Free Bird (chosen by Publishers' Weekly and the Denver Rocky Mountain News as one of the best fiction debuts of 2002), Cycling, and Shame, the memoirs Crossing Myself and No Idea, and books on theology, popular culture, politics, and narrative including Living with the Living Dead: The Wisdom of the Zombie Apocaly ...more