Start by marking “Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys” as Want to Read:

Bringing chivalry back into our modern-day world, this book shows us how to inspire today's generation of young boys to pursue honor, courage, and compassion.

In an age when respect and honor seem like distant and antiquated relics, how can we equip boys to pursue valor and courageously put the needs of others before their own? This book helps parents to inspire their boys
Published May 30th 2017 by Tarcherperigee

To ask other readers questions about Knights in Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knights in Training

Start your review of Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys
Christina
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Full disclosure: I quit this book on page 54 (after the first four chapters). And what I am about to write may seem to be harsh or unreasonable expectations, but for anyone who shares my convictions I think it might be helpful.

I think the following paragraph (page 45) summarizes the point of this book:
"Violence and inactivity are on the rise, and boys seem lost and adrift more than ever. This book is a call to return to the ideal. It is a call to celebrate boys and men for who they were
Julia
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Though not a lot of new stuff for me, this was a great reminder of how to train my boys to become men. I loved the focus on character building and the way the author goes about teaching the principles.
Danielle
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this book to have many great tips on what to
do with boys! Ha!
Ellen Rosenberger
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very well written book with practical ideas on how to inspire courage, compassion, chivalry, strength and honor in young boys. I liked the resources listed in the back and immediately checked out some from my local library. One thing that bothered me a tiny bit was that a lot of the examples were of her three sons and their relationships with each other... I only have one son and he's the oldest with three sisters following him. It did make me think about how to get him ...more
Carolyn
This book inspired two great summers of character-building and learning for my two young boys. They got into the “knight training” and it provided a great foundation for discussions of personal and family values and morals. We will continue to return to the concept of our boys being “modern-day knights” as they mature. The author also curated a great list of resources on knights, history, modern boyhood, etc. Highly recommend it!
Natasha
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
While I did find this book had a few good points to make, I (wrongly) interpreted that the “knights in training” aspect was going to be entirely metaphorical. Nope! The writer suggests sword play, wrestling, referring to the parents as a King and Queen, and consistently refers to her boys as squires. Did not love it.
Audrey Monke
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting

“You are to use that [strength] to defend the women in your life against men that are abusing their strength.”
-Heather Haupt

In Episode 13 of the podcast, I’m talking with Heather Haupt about her book Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys.

After interviewing Kathleen Buckstaff about her book Get Savvy, reading this book and interviewing author Heather Haupt was a natural follow up. While we want our
Joseph
Dec 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Wow. I am not sure how this got in my lists to read in 2019... I had a list of just authors that I had read prior or authors that I liked that recommended it. It must have been the later. I didn't really know or except that she is really raising her kids as Knights. Like no lie, Knights...

Lots of issues about this book. Mostly she is just generalizing a lot of different things and making way too many assumptions. She is just framing boys to be one way to be able to write her book.

"Boys are
Becky
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the book I wish I had written.

I have six boys. Years ago, when we found ourselves floundering with trying to teach our brood, my husband and I developed Quest. Quest is a home program to teach the very things in this book, based on the knights of old. A knight is K- knowledgeable, N- nice, I- intelligent, G- godly, H- healthy, T- talented. Our family theme is based upon the code of conduct she preaches. I was thrilled to find this book- I’m not the only one!

I found myself nodding along
Becky Wooler
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking for a helpful book specifically on parenting boys for awhile, and have been struggling to find one that I really felt that I could work with. The Michael Gurian one that I left unfinished read more like a psychological treatise than practical parenting help, and James Dobson's Bringing Up Boys had some very problematic issues, IMO. But as a long time fantasy reader, I was able to connect with the premise behind this book, about raising boys in a way that treats them like modern ...more
David McClendon, Sr
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FTC Required Notice: We were sent a copy of Knights In Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys written by Heather Haupt for the purpose of writing this review. There was no cost or obligation attached to receiving this review copy.

Knights In Training is a very interesting read. It takes a novel approach to raising little young men in this politically correct world.

Boys in public school are told to sit in their desks, not talk, sit still, and pay
David Green
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heather Haupt really nailed it with her book Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate BoysThis book has ten principles taken from the time honored code of the knights, reminding us that not much is different when it comes to raising the next generation of young men. It was refreshing for me to read a book that reminds us that boys are different and there is a very good reason why we do not want to raise typical boys.

In this book parents are
Dayna
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Inspiring, Enjoyable, & Culture-changing read.

Knights in Training: Ten Principles for Raising Honorable, Courageous, and Compassionate Boys is an important and inspiring read.
Although the principles outlined here have their roots in rich history, the book's message couldn't be more relevant for the present day.

Well-researched and highly readable, Knights in Training is partially a parenting book, but more largely a bold call to action that challenges concerning cultural norms. The author
Destiny
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The thing I love most about this book is the fact that the author embraces the "boy-ness" of being a boy. She doesn't try to "stamp out" those unique characteristics that make boys boys, but instead offers ways to embrace their natural instincts and behaviors and channel them into positive characteristics using the Knights Code of Chivalry.

The book flows smoothly and is engaging to read. There is a chapter dedicated to each part of the Code. Along with explaining what it means and how it
Jared Duncan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This book contains some very good information on how to raise, as the title says, honorable, courageous, and compassionate boys. There are some good practical ideas and principles contained in here, though it sounds like the author and her family have taken it to a new level, and really made a way of life using the Knight's Code. The book doesn't actually advocate that you take it that far, and I don't think you need to in order to apply the principles; but I suppose that the intrigue, mystique, ...more
Josh Morris
This book is about raising boys to be different than the adrift / failure to launch / disengaged boys our culture unwittingly molds. Boys crave action and passion. The author proposes we raise gentlemen, aka knights, who love God, defend the weak, respect women, speak the truth, and pursue excellence. Her advice to find concrete actions and instill adventure is solid.

Like all parenting endeavors, the author is well aware this is a long haul quest. She offers good tips for introducing it in the
Amy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book!! I cannot say enough positive things about it. I was giving Raising a Modern Day Knight when I dedicated my son 10 years ago. He is now 12 and I wish I had bought this book much sooner so I could have following the suggestions Heather loving shares. Chivalry seems to have died out, which is quite sad, and we need to being it back. To do so, we need to be intentional with teaching our sons and daughters what chivalry means. Girls need to allow boys to do the things ...more
Meg
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was ok. It gave me food for thought, but also made me feel like my parenting has been inadequate in the sense that I am not raising my boys to be "knights" and I am late to the game. I would have appreciated more realism in her stories. It can't be easy to have a house full of boys and I think the author should have shared more on that. I did learn some good resources and got some inspiration on what boys like, but it would also be nice to hear what to do if you are late to the game in ...more
Adena
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have three sons and the oldest is twenty. Needless to say, I've read my share of books on how to parent boys. This is by far the best. What boy doesn't like to pretend he's a knight proving his bravery on the battlefield? But knighthood is about much more. It's about chivalry. It's about honor. This book gives practical ideas, using knighthood as the foundation to teach character. Your sons will have so much fun, they won't even realize that you are providing them with essential training that ...more
Sara
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve actually read this book a couple of times. It has been a good reminder to me to focus on teaching character, with many tips on how to do so. The only thing I didn’t care for is the actual “knight” training. Only because it doesn’t apply to my kids. Neither one of my children care for stories of knights let alone pretending to be one. So we come up with other stories and teaching methods. Aside from that it remains in my top favourite parenting books!
M. Boyle
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recommend Knights in Training to any parent of boys!
Haupt highlighted several areas in which we can teach our sons to man up and take the high road, and she provided easy-to-apply pointers.
I'm so glad another mom recommended the book to me, and my husband and I are excited to formally begin 'knight training' when our son turns 7 (it's the age we chose to dive in, partly because that's the age pages began training in the medieval era).
Andrew
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kcls
For it to work, you need to be committed to the topic. If medieval stories are not of interest, then readers won’t be able to engage with the book’s guidance. But, the discipline it outlines for me as a parent, with regards to the structure of a disciplinary and cultural instruction method is sound. I constantly found myself wondering what medium I could use to teach similar lessons to my girls.
Emily Copeland
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're parenting boys, Knights in Training is a must-read. As the mom of an 11 year-old boy, I got valuable advice, practical tips, and encouragement for raising a young man with honor, compassion, and courage.

Even if your son isn't obsessed with knights or medieval times, you'll find much wisdom in the Knight's Code (the book is based on the tenets from this code) and want to instill these values in his DNA.

*I received a free copy of this book for review purposes.

Katie
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I avoid parenting books usually but I love chivalry and knights so this one caught my eye. I really enjoyed it, it had practical tips, I loved the quotes from inspiring male role models throughout the book and the resources shared.
Lois Lewis
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative, welcome ideas

I enjoyed the practical examples and resources this book provided. I think people with various parenting ideals could come to agreement on most of the ideas this book presents. I know my boys would eat up a chivalry challenge!
Sasha
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO good! It’s about raising your young boys to be compassionate, honorable, and courageous with integrity and character. I am inspired to create this culture of knight training within our household, which centers on chivalry and love of God.
Annelise
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must-read for boy moms everywhere!
Carissa
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
2 of my favourite quotes from Heather: “By what is inspected, they will know what is expected.”
And “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.’
Melissa
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great parenting book. Different from most and a fresh perspective on boys. I loved it. I only wish I had read it 15 years ago.
Rafik Farouk
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great knowledge and insight about raising boys.

• The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life
  • The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids
  • Book Girl: A Journey Through the Treasures and Transforming Power of a Reading Life
  • Teaching from Rest: A Homeschooler's Guide to Unshakable Peace
  • Kisses from Katie
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream? (Elephant & Piggie, #15)
  • Are You Ready to Play Outside? (Elephant & Piggie, #7)
  • The Golden Road (The Story Girl #2)
  • The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
  • The Real Jane Austen: A Life in Small Things
  • I, Juan de Pareja
  • The Golden Goblet
  • Swinging on a Star (Weddings by Bella, #2)
  • Fools Rush In (Weddings by Bella, #1)
  • Picture Perfect (Weddings by Design, #1)
  • A Bouquet of Love (Weddings by Design #4)
  • It Had to Be You (Weddings by Bella, #3)
  • Every Bride Needs a Groom (Brides With Style, #1)