Start by marking “The Women in the Walls” as Want to Read:
The Women in the Walls

The Women in the Walls

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,429 Ratings  ·  402 Reviews
The latest compulsive, terrifying novel from Amy Lukavics, author of Daughters Unto Devils. A must for fans of American Horror Story, and the best horror writing you'll ever read.?

Something isn't right in this house.

Lucy Acosta's mother died when she was three. Growing up in a Victorian mansion in the middle of the woods with her cold, distant father, she and her best
Published October 6th 2016 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK (first published September 27th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Women in the Walls, please sign up.
Nicole
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

C.G. Drews
Well that was HELLISHLY DISTURBING. I have such bad luck with horror, usually...it's just, eghed, it's never frightening enough for me?? And while I'm not trembling in my socks right now, I AM VERY VERY DISTURBED. So that's like a huge positive, right?! And even though the story had my bunny slippers running for cover...I admit, I felt the writing was lacking. Which is a shame.

Anyway, clearly we need a likes vs dislikes list. And then directly after that I need a hot chocolate and marshmallows a
Stacee
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I’ve been a fan of Amy Lukavic’s words since I heard Gretchen McNeil talk about Daughter Unto Devils. I devoured and loved that book and was eagerly awaiting new words.

Being in Lucy’s head is sort of a trip. She’s a cutter and slightly suicidal and it was difficult at times to read what she was going through. Throw in a weird estate and hearing voices and you’ve got yourself an unstable and unreliable narrator, which is one of my favorite things.

There is a lot of history and backstory to the sit
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
The Women in the Walls is a mildly disappointing sophomore novel by Amy Lukavics, author of Daughters Unto Devils. It delivers all the things one expects from such a read – the deep atmosphere, the chilling moments, the compelling paranormal mystery – but it proves lacking in terms of substance, characterization or any real depth of emotion.

When Lucy’s beloved aunt goes missing, strange things start happening in her house. The cook commits suicide, her cousin Margaret is talking to walls, and he
Keira Drake
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER-FREE REVIEW!

I got an ARC of this book at #BEA16...I waited in line for it. :)

All right. I am admittedly a bit of a whiny baby when it comes to horror--I'm easily scared, startled, creeped out, and I sleep with a light on (even though I'm *cough* years old). But don't let my peek-between-my-fingers-ness fool you. This book is:

1. Disturbing
2. Brilliant
3. Beautifully plotted
4. Grotesque
5. Compelling
6. SATISFYING

Amy Lukavics understands how to slowly unravel a mystery in a way that will keep
Neil (or bleed)
Actual rating: 2.5

It was okay. It only became interesting on the last part, sadly.
Book Riot Community
Read a horror novel, I thought. It’s close to Halloween, I thought. It’ll be fun, I thought. Women in the Walls follows a girl on a giant, haunted estate who begins to hear voices in the walls after her aunt vanishes in the woods and her cousin goes mad. I spent the entire book hoping that Lukavics would surprise me with a quasi-happy ending, but nope. Slam the book shut before the final few pages and imagine your own happy ending, because Women in the Walls is terrifying and you will not sleep ...more
Beth
I wish I had more positive things to say about this novel.

Lucy is a highly uninteresting and bland main character. She cuts herself, she misses her cousin and best friend, Margaret, and…? That's about it for her character. There's more going on around her family, but we spend lots of time in Lucy's head, and, sorry, she was just an insufferable bore. There wasn't even any real depth to why she self-harmed or was depressed (if she was depressed?). Equally, we hear that Margaret was Lucy's best fr
Lolly's Library
This is my first experience of Lukavics, who's apparently gotten high praise for her first novel, Daughters Unto Devils. Judging by her second novel, either the first was a fluke or her writing is highly overrated because my reaction upon finishing The Women in the Walls was: Meh. Seriously, I have no idea what Lukavics was trying to express with her story: the physical manifestation of psychological trauma? Genuine paranormal experiences? Neither angle succeeded.

Lucy, the protagonist, through w
Bonnie
“The girl lives in a beautiful dollhouse made of stone, […] But underneath her shining plastic smile, there are only screams.”

Lucy Acosta lives in her family’s estate, home-schooled, with only her cousin Margaret for company. Her father is a constant absence but her Aunt Penelope is their main caretaker. After Walter, the cook, commits suicide, her Aunt Penelope walks into the woods and disappears without a trace, and Margaret says she’s hearing voices in the walls, Lucy has no one to turn to.
Chelsea
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not too sure how I feel about this book. I heard amazing things about Daughters Unto Devils, which I still want to read, but I feel like this book may have suffered from being the sophomore book.

The story is a classic creepy old mansion where you hear voices so that's pretty hard to mess up. I was looking for a quick horror read for the month of October and this somewhat satisfied the craving but left me wanting.

My first issue with this book was that you could never grasp what time period this
Allison
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO I downed this and DAUGHTERS UNTO DEVILS (the author's first novel) back-to-back last night and this morning. DAUGHTERS was better, imo, but this was still perfectly creepy and enjoyable. Loved all the twists towards the end. A great mix of psychological terror and splashy gore!
Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
*4.5 Stars

Amy Lukavics has a knack for grabbing my attention. As soon as I finished reading the first chapter, I told my wife to grab the sample and just try to resist. The Women in the Walls reminded me of Barney Stinson’s Get Psyched mixed tape, it grabs you and never lets you down.

Lukavics created a curious cast of characters. We follow Lucy Acosta throughout the story. She is one screwed up cookie, but may very well be the most “normal” character in the book. This point of view worked except
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Xpresso Reads

I literally don’t know how to start this review because there are a lot of things to say but they can all just be covered with a big NO. There is potential in this book but it’s all potential that is unrealized. From the spoilt MC who is a cardboard cutout to the world building, this book is just lacking. It isn’t BAD but it isn’t GOOD which is especially disappointing because I was really looking forward to reading this book.

The MC was a cle
Melissa Chung
Every time I think I've learned my lesson I haven't. I wrote a review hit save and it got stuck in the save universe of death. Sigh.... Well my emotional steam for this review is gone. I'll try to do my best to summarize what I said in the first review. This second creation by Amy Lukavics was not as strong as her first. I though 'Daughters Unto Devils' was a fantastic read. There was plenty of thrill and mystery with the first book and what got me so excited to pick up this second one. Unfortun ...more
Ariel
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-horror
"Walter the cook killed himself in his little bedroom downstairs, just a few hours after saying good-night." That is the first sentence in the book and it lets you know right off the bat that you are in for one creepy ride. I had previously read this author's other book Daughters Unto Devils, and while it was not perfect I liked that the story was a kind of Little House on the Prairie horror novel. This book started out creepily enough but the pacing was not good. A family composed of a father, ...more
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got while at ALA Annual 2016 in Orlando.
Diversity: 1 – Tokenism
Racial-Ethnic:
QUILTBAG: 0
Disability: 2 (Lucy self-harms)
Intersectionality: 0

A few days ago, I was at the local used bookstore with my best friend and I found a copy of Daughter Unto Devils. I’d read the book and loved it; she hadn’t. Meanwhile, she’d already gotten to The Women in the Walls and was terrified by it when I hadn’t even gotten to read it yet. Naturally, I pe
Portia Lynn (itsportiasbooks)
Last year, I had the extreme pleasure of reading Amy Lukavics debut horror novel, Daughter Unto Devils (you can read my review here). It was chilling and bloody and everything I always wanted from YA horror. I have desperately craved another book from her. It feels like I have just been sitting around waiting so impatiently for all of these fall horror books to come out. I can read horror year round, publisher people. Not just near Halloween. Thanks.

The Women in the Walls is dreadful. In the bes
Kimberly
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 88-books-in-2018
Oooooh what a great book! Creepy, weird, just plain great. The author is now one of my new favs! I am now seeking out all of her books. I had been looking for a new horror to thrill me, because lately I just haven't found it. Until now that is. I highly recommend to people who love a good ghost story or to horror lovers in general!
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Creepy old mansion with strange, curious people makes the perfect mix for a chilling YA Horror story......

The Women In The Walls is the perfect read for the fall and in preparation for Halloween. The Women In The Walls is intensely creepy, deeply disturbing, and the perfect psychological thriller. The whole setting of the book is dark and mysterious and just when you think you know what is happening....Be ready...because you don't.

and that cover....SERIOUSLY! How creepily awesome is that cover?
Stacy Fetters
K.
Trigger warnings: suicide, self harm/cutting, mental health, death of a parent, death of a family member, disappearance of a family member, gore, violence, blood, shitty parenting.

Okay, here's the thing. This cover? Is amazing. And the blurb sounded GREAT. So I was super excited that I'd finally found something for the kids who love romance-free horror books.

Unfortunately, it was a confusing hot mess. It starts with a suicide, and then only a couple of pages later we're treated to the protagon
Erin
Aug 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kobo
I don't usually use the ONE star rating, but the characters were quite bland and uninteresting. I felt that the author jumped right into the plot without providing me with any "oomph." I felt that this book was less creepy and just plain grotesque. I felt that the book dragged on for me, but I kept reading in the hope that it would get better. It certainly didn't. Just not my cup of tea.

Thanks to NetGalley and Harlequin Teen for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Pamela ✨I Blame Wizards✨
Well, I didn't think it could get much worse than Daughters Unto Devils, but apparently it is possibly to become a worse writer as time goes on. I had to put this down at 15% because it was just so pedestrian! The protagonist is an obnoxiously insufferable bore who is completely two dimensional. And despite two big events already occurring within the first three pages it drags and drags until I just realised that life is too short to waste on terrible writing.
Alicia (A Kernel of Nonsense)
Mini-review:

Amy Lukavics’s The Women in the Walls is one of the creepiest books I picked up this October. I went into this not expecting too many thrills as the reviews for this one have been on the negative side. I’m a big fan of build-up and think tension is essential for any horror story, so I was put off at first when we are thrust head first into this story. There is also a lot of telling rather than showing and while I do think the book improved as it went on, this was one of its shortcomi
Dawnie
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited for this book! Because it sounded like just up my alley!

A spooky supernatural/paranormal story that involves mysterious deaths and a daughter that has to figure it out all on her own?

perfect for me!

So i was really excited and could not wait to read this!

And was sadly completely disappointed.

Its not that this book is horrible.

Its just that its not good.

It is a very middle ground book that started out pretty good and ends -in my option- really badly.

Overall this book isn't b
Erin
I see a lot of bad reviews and that's OK. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I fo r one, loved it. I'm a sucker for horror and grotesque books. And this delivered. The characters were a little bland. But, I looked past that. This is the 2nd book I've read by Amy and I'm looking forward to more.
Chiara
A copy of this novel was provided by Simon & Schuster Australia for review.

I like to be creeped out by novels. Whenever I go into a mystery/thriller or horror book my main desire is to be creeped out and intrigued. Or both in equal measure. So when I read about The Women in the Walls I thought that it could be the perfectly creepy book I’ve always wanted to read.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. That isn’t to say that there weren’t creepy moments, but it wasn’t a creepy book overall. For
Kaye
That was...eesh. The imagery will have my skin crawling for days.

(The one star off is for that alone. Which I know is my own fault. Darn it, Amy. Your horror is just too tempting.)
Gregory Butler
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this book is excellent! It had a bit of gore a bit of confusion and a whole lot of detail. You will find yourself wondering what is happening to the main character and her family. This book has suicide in it. If you don't want to read anything that the characters inflict pain to them selves then you should not read this, but if you are ok with it you will love the book to bits. This book is one of the best mid sized book I've ever read!
Grace
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Review originally posted on my blog:

Actual rating 3.5 stars

This book really surprised me. I didn’t really know what to think about this book before reading it and I had gotten it for free from Yallfest as part of blind book date thing so I honestly didn’t know anything about it.

But it was filled with good and bad. I’m going to start with the bad. The first thing that I didn’t really like was that character development. I know it’s hard in 278 pages to dev
  • The Continent (The Continent, #1)
  • Something in Between
  • Labyrinth Lost (Brooklyn Brujas, #1)
  • Boy Robot
  • Dead Souls
  • The Smaller Evil
  • Yesternight
  • Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)
  • The Female of the Species
  • Spare and Found Parts
  • Metaltown
  • Empire of Dust (Blood of Gods and Royals, #2)
  • The Graces (The Graces, #1)
  • Fate of Flames (Effigies, #1)
  • Kids of Appetite
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • The Telling
  • I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl
Ever since she was little, Amy was especially intrigued by horror books and movies. Raised in a small mountain town in Arizona, she sustained herself on a steady diet of Goosebumps, Fear Street, and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books before discovering Stephen King in her mother's bookshelf.

Amy lives with her husband, their two precious squidlings, and an old gentleman cat by the name of Fro
More about Amy Lukavics

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • I Hate Everyone But You
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
“The girl lives in a beautiful dollhouse made of stone', I wrote one time in my dairy when I was young, my handwriting shaky but sure. 'But beneath her shining plastic smile, there are only screams'.” 4 likes
“The mother sings a hungry song
Of blood and cracking teeth
She dances in the dark below
wants to pull us underneath

Her claws, they rise, they sway in dance
to the melody of screams
Her lullaby will never end
till the world comes apart at the seams”
2 likes