Start by marking “Buy a Bullet (Orphan X, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Buy a Bullet (Orphan X, #1.5)

Buy a Bullet

(Orphan X #1.5)

The Nowhere Man is a figure shrouded in secrecy—a near legendary figure who helps those lucky few who are given the means to reach out to him.

Before he was the Nowhere Man, Evan Smoak was a highly trained government operative known to a few as Orphan X. This is the story of Smoak's first outing as the Nowhere Man, where after completing a mission in Northern California, h

Published October 11th 2016 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Buy a Bullet, please sign up.
Brogan Sommerville I haven't read this book yet but having read the first two books I would say you could definitely read this before the other two, think it will just e…moreI haven't read this book yet but having read the first two books I would say you could definitely read this before the other two, think it will just explain a bit more about how role as The Nowhere Man so might actually help your understanding of the other books.(less)

Start your review of Buy a Bullet (Orphan X, #1.5)
Larry H
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(My rating is more for the length of the story than the quality of the story.)

I haven't decided where I stand yet on this growing trend of authors writing "so-called" short stories as a way to bridge the gap prior to the release of a new novel. On one hand, I'm a fan of anything that gives me an opportunity to read more of my favorite authors, but the contrarian in me feels that these are primarily revenue-generating gimmicks, because the stories themselves are often relatively slight, and in so
Phrynne
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just a short story which I read over my lunch time sandwich. It was really good though and managed to include everything that makes Orphan X what he stands for in just a few pages. If you are ever held captive by a cocaine sniffing, alcoholic psychopath then Evan Smoak is your man.

It has made me even keener for the new novel coming up very, very soon.
PattyMacDotComma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thriller fans
4.5★
“He stands over her, wide-postured, legs spread. ‘Hell ain’t a place. It’s a state of mind.’

Yep, and you could read a bit about it in this short, free (Amazon Kindle) story that takes place between books one and two of his popular Orphan X thriller series. If it’s your first meeting with Evan Smoak, you’ll soon see he’s not the kind of guy who can ignore an innocent in distress.

He’s just stopped to have coffee before driving several hours to go home when a couple of beefy thugs come in, fol
Sam Quixote
An evil Silicon Valley rich douche is beating on his girl – time for James Bond Jason Bourne Jack Ryan Jack Reacher Jack in the box John Wick The Equalizer Taken Other Tough Guys Beginning with J Evan Smoak aka Orphan X to stick his righteous gun-toting nose in!

Put that brain to the side, you won’t be needing that here! Gregg Hurwitz’s Buy a Bullet is a free Orphan X short that’s as simple as you can get: one-dimensional bad guys vs singular justice in the form of unstoppable and perfect hero a
Terence M
Excellent but brief, this explanatory introduction to “The Nowhere Man” is a worthwhile addition to the “Orphan X” series.
Chad
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A very short story of the Nowhere Man's first case. I would have loved to see this fleshed out a bit more but it is representative of the entire series. If you were ever curious if you'd like this series, this is a great place to start. ...more
Judy D Collins
Gregg Hurwitz introduced readers to ORPHAN X , Evan Smoak (2016 Super Hero) back in January, 2016. Once an orphan, now a man with a dangerous past.

A savior of the victims, the innocent ones—from corruption to sex slaves, while saving himself. When Evan was fourteen, Jack had trained him. The first person to treat him like a human. The Orphan Program. However, he may be targeted, and these people are no slouches. Someone knows him and wants him eliminated.

For more than a decade, he had been t
Laura Rash
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't get enough of this series. Glad to hear from Hurwitz himself that he has 3 more novels planned for this series! ...more
Andrea
A very quick read that I really enjoyed. The short story is only about 17pp according to my Kindle, with the rest of the book filled with a generous preview of #2 in the series. I'm a little confused about the order, I admit; this story is #1.5, but it details The Nowhere Man's first case. So in terms of storyline it's probably #0.5, but publishing order is #1.5. Something like that.

Anyway, it has everything I was looking for - a tight, compelling story, Evan's trademark ingenuity, and evidence
Kay
Sep 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A fun short story. Evan Smoak is in Palo Alto area and rescues a woman from an abusive bad boy Silicon Valley millionaire boyfriend.

The book is about 18 pages long. The rest is an extended excerpt of Orphan X #2; The Nowhere Man.
Sean Peters
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great to start a book on my lunch break, then also finish the book.

So far up to date with the great character "The Nowhere Man" "Evan Smoak" or "Orphan X", take your pick.

But a really quick read of 56 pages, a great introduction on this new character, a quick, fast pace, right into the action book.

Ready for number three, out soon.
The Cats’ Mother
Buy a Bullet is a free short story from the Orphan X series, listed as 1.5 but it could probably fit anywhere, or be read as an introduction to Evan Smoak, the Nowhere Man, mystery assassin with a conscience.

Witnessing the controlling behaviour of a thuggish tech billionaire towards his girlfriend in a coffee shop, Evan decides to investigate and then intervene when his suspicions are confirmed. The man has bodyguards and plenty of security measures but these are of course no match for Smoak’s s
Mark
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, thriller
After the succes comes this short story about Ophan X/Nowhere man/ Evan Smoak which can be best characterized as a possible chapter in on of his books. It is partly prequel and partly the service our hero offers free of charge. To be saved from an awkward situation.
The story is fun but way to short, The preview in the ebook from the second installment of the series is far longer than the short story and far more interesting. For fans only I guess.
danielle
Having recently started this series and really liking it, I didn't want to miss any tidbits. While there wasn't any character development or too much of a story, I still really enjoyed this short story. I look forward to continuing this series. ...more
Basia
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EDITED 1/09/17

I just finished reading the bulk of the e-version of this download. As I mention in my review of the title story, Buy a Bullet comprised about a quarter of what I got when I bought this; the majority of my purchase was made up of the 1st 11 chapters of the sequel to Orphan X, due out in a painfully looooong 8 days.

Based upon this small, 11-chapter sampling of the sequel, I have to say The Nowhere Man appears to be at least as compelling as Orphan X. The story is one I couldn't wal
Marleen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gregg-hurwitz
Waiting for the Nowhere Man to come out end of this month, I'm quite happy with this little morsel, this little taste of the awesomeness that is Evan Smoak. This short story is over before you know it - yes it's short - but it's a good representation of the Smoak I got to appreciate in Orphan X.
If you love the clever, multi-layered anti-hero genre, then this series is for you. Please go read Orphan X (book 1), if you haven't. It's simply excellent.
On another note, the violence suggested in this
Skip
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller, e-books
Evan Smoak seeks to rescue the lovely Leanne Lattimore, girlfriend and abuse victim of Silicon Valley Steve Radack, bad-boy of the software dot-com world, the visionary behind Thumbprint, a software that allows one to press a finger to a smartphone and pay for a variety of items. Senseless. The novella is about 20 pages long; the rest is a few chapters from the next book. It adds nothing to this series.
Annie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommend
It's a VERY short book. It could have been the first 4 chapters of book 1 of the series to give the background of how Evan Smoak became the Nowhere Man. If you liked the first book, this is just as enjoyable. ...more
ChopinFC
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
This is a very quick novella about Evan Smoaks in the action series 'Orphan X'. The novella is essentially an introduction or a prequel to the series. Although very short in length, the story stays in line with the same feel of the series, and the writing is engaging and entertaining. For those thriller/CIA operative book fans I highly recommend the 'Orphan X' series. It certainly in-line with James Bond, Jason Bourne, Daniel Silva espionage stuff.

3 1/2 Stars
Marianne
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buy A Bullet is a short story in the Orphan X series by best-selling American author, Gregg Hurwitz. Evan Smoak is minding his own business in a Palo Alto coffee shop when a couple enters. Their relationship is instantly clear to him. Has he found his first mark? He does his research meticulously: Assume Nothing. And when he is sure, he acts. An excellent little dose of Orphan X.
Melanie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, thriller
3.5 Stars

Buy a Bullet was an enjoyable and quick read about Evan Smoak’s first outing as the Nowhere Man.

The Nowhere Man is a man hidden in secrecy who helps those who cannot help themselves. But how did the Nowhere Man get started? Evan Smoak has recently fled from the government program that trained him and is looking for a way to put the skills he has to use. When he comes across a young woman in a coffee shop being abused by the powerful man with her, Evan knows he’s found his first target.

E
Kronos Ananthsimha
"Hell is not a place. It's a state of mind." - says the former silicon valley tycoon turned brutal villain while traumatizing someone. This E-short is set before the events of Orphan X. Here we see Evan Smoak become the Nowhere Man(a realistic yet classy and deadly vigilante) for the first time. His operational methods and tactics are calculated like a machine yet filled with humane reasoning. Contrary to other neo-noir books, this series focuses on crimes that everyone aren't well aware of. Thi ...more
Benjamin  Thomas
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short for Orphan X

For a short story this was pretty packed and well executed. Looking forward to reading the Nowhere Man! Great series.
Shifad
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is just a mission carried out by Evan Smoak. He is back. It is an enjoyable read. No problem, if you skip this book though. I enjoyed it.
David Dalton
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
A short read for sure. Guess it just serves to bridge the gap between Book #1 and the upcoming #2. Leaves us hanging. But, I know I will already read the next one in this exciting series. Evan Smoak is one cool character, very much an Equalizer type. 3 stars just because this short story did not serve much of a purpose other than to whet our desire towards the next book.
Ana Maria  Rivera
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since Evan and I crossed paths, but once again he doesn't dissapoint.
This book is very short but gives away a lot of answers as to why he started doing what he
does.
The main treasure comes at the end when you get a few chapters of the next book, same one I am one clicking my way to get and continue my reading....
Steve
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short story with the beginning of the next book, The Nowhere Man. If you've read the first book in the series, Orphan X, I'd say you can skip this short story. If not, it will give you an idea of what kind of guy Evan is...also a better written story that the first book was I think. ...more
Paula
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable short story that gives the back story on how Evan got his start helping the truly desperate and deserving. I have previously read Orphan X and reading this reminded me of how much I enjoy the style in which this is written and made me more anxious to read The Nowhere Man.
Cas ❦
An awesome short story from the world of Orphan X, I feel like it's more of a prequel though? We're shown Evan's first ever official case as The Nowhere Man. Although it's a short story, it contains a lot of depth and gives us more insight into what kind of people Evan helps. ...more
Megan (ReadingRover)
Excellent short story of how the Nowhere Man got his start. Fast paced and just enough action. I love this series.
Play Book Tag: Buy a Bullet by Gregg Hurwitz (short story) - 3 stars 1 10 Feb 05, 2017 02:39PM

• The List (Orphan X, #5.5)
  • The Gray Man (Gray Man, #1)
  • Gone by Dawn (Victor the Assassin, #2.5)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • Total Power (Mitch Rapp, #19)
  • The Breaker (Peter Ash, #6)
  • Bad Luck in Berlin (Victor the Assassin, #1.5)
  • On Target (Gray Man, #2)
  • Savage Son (Terminal List #3)
  • The Enemy (Victor the Assassin, #2)
  • The Wild One (Peter Ash, #5)
  • Brute Force (Jericho Quinn #6)
  • Agent in Place (Gray Man #7)
  • Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6)
  • Assassin's Strike (David Slaton #7)
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman,

Orphan X (6 books)
  • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
  • Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Prodigal Son (Orphan X, #6)