Start by marking “Valentine (Valentine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Valentine (Valentine, #1)

Valentine

(Valentine #1)

Valentine is the first in a smart, witty and page-turning YA series with a paranormal twist for fans of Holly Black and Sarah J. Maas.

Four teenagers – all born on the same Valentine’s Day – begin to disappear. As the bodies mount up, Pearl Linford has to work out what in the supernatural hell is going on, before it happens to her.

Finn Blacklin is the boy with whom Pearl
Mass Market Paperback, 395 pages
Published January 30th 2017 by Penguin Teen Australia

To ask other readers questions about Valentine, please sign up.
Beth Roberts I contacted the author. At this point, there is no US planned release date. I bought a copy from book depository.com, $13.95 w/FREE shipping. It was…moreI contacted the author. At this point, there is no US planned release date. I bought a copy from book depository.com, $13.95 w/FREE shipping. It was shipped from Australia and it just came yesterday but in perfect condition. It took about 2 1/2 weeks from the time I ordered it. (less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,084 books — 8,382 voters
Draekora by Lynette NoniBegin, End, Begin by Danielle BinksBallad for a Mad Girl by Vikki WakefieldThe Secret Science of Magic by Melissa KeilRemind Me How This Ends by Gabrielle Tozer
#LoveOzYA 2017
62 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews)
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY who enjoys a good fairy/fae story
5/5 AUSTRALIAN FAIRY STARS

Read more bookish goodness on my book blog: Cal's YA Reads

THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING.
(Also, I did a full-on, proper review for this, with a structured response, be proud??? I'm not JUST rambling for once)

In the first chapter, I was a little turned off because a) I usually HATE Australian YA books, and b) There was a sentence where Pearl (the protag's) inner-monologue drifts off and she thinks "OMFG" which is just... god-awful. But once you ignore the slightly off-key tone o
Sylvia
I picked up this book off of the bookshelf of my local Big W, knowing nothing about it. The blurb peaked my interest enough for me to make the purchase. By the time I got home and searched online, I discovered it was written by an Australian Author and I was excited to start it. I haven't had the time to read many fantasy books written by Aussie's before, even though I have so many waiting to be read, so Valentine was the first. And I'm really glad it was.

I was completely surprised at how easy
Lynette Noni
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm the first to admit that I'm kinda fairy'd out these days, mostly because once upon a time I read a lot of fae/fairy/faerie/however-you-want-to-spell-it books, and the whole concept of Seelie vs Unseelie grew a little... tired... for me.

BUT all that said, I really enjoyed reading Valentine and found it a solid, refreshing addition to the genre. For a debut, McAlister has written a wonderfully entertaining story full of genuine, realistic characters who (*gasp*) manage to stay in character (*
 Alli
Apr 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fairy-fantasy
This is a cute little fairy read. I think a gentle fun push into the fantasy/fairy genre for those that haven't ever read this type of book before. It is very YA, with loads of smarmy, lusty, high school style quips. With characters being on Facebook, up to date pop-culture references, etc (how will this work 5-10yrs down the track I wonder?)

I enjoyed picking up the book to read before bed each night, carrying off these characters into my dreams. The writing flows well off the pages. The story i
Danielle
Feb 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Meh. I really don't have many feelings about this book. I'm not even actually sure how it was published. We had cookie cutter, bland-ass characters, a SUPER predictable plot (yeah I guessed the 'twist' a quarter of the way in), and a 'smart' (read stupid ) MC.

Like seriously, everyone keeps going on about how speshul and smart she is, but she makes the most god damn awful decisions. And she is amazingly selfish! We see this relationship she has with her BFF, but it's all like 'she's so loyal an
Rebecca
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not going to lie, at first I was very disappointed. Every little thing about the first couple of chapters got on my nerves. But I was so determined to keep going, and I am so very glad I did!!

This was crazy enjoyable, with a couple of twists that even I didn't see coming.

One of my favourite reads this year?
Grace
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
REREAD 5/1/18

OH MY GOSH I FREAKING FORGOT HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS BOOK!
I mean I didn't forget that I loved the book, but I needed a refresher on this kick-ass story! I'm so glad I reread this and I can't freaking wait for Ironheart!

I NEED IT!
NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

------
ORIGINAL REVIEW 20/1/17

NOTE: I was sent an Advanced Reader Copy of this book by Penguin Teen Australia. All thoughts and opinions I have for this book are 100% honest and entirely my own.

Spoiler-Free Review is up on my channel!: https
Pauline
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been in a bit of a reading slump so I was very excited when this proof landed on my desk last week. I read this in one day so I guess that explains how engaged I was in this story. Having just finished Elegy by Jane Abbott I think it is great that Australian authors are dealing with some paranormal/mythological elements in their writing. I also love a story that involves the Seelie (The Call by Peadar O'Guilin is fantastic!) and Unseelie and their wicked mannerisms and behaviours and it's g ...more
Carolyn Denman
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-urban-fantasy
Okay, so how did this author get into my head and manage to create a protagonist with such similar thought patterns to my own? She must have used some freaky seelie trick. Good thing my dreams aren't quite as raunchy as Pearl's. So an Australian setting, paranormal themes, down-to-earth main character - what's not to love? For people who have read Songlines (The Sentinels of Eden, #1) by Carolyn Denman , I expect you will adore Valentine. I devoured this book in less than a day. It was fun, fast-paced, just the right amount of sexy and has set me u ...more
Jess Best
Things I Didn't Like:
- Most people's personalities.
- The cringey use of abbreviations, "WTF" "Vom" etc
- Nothing made sense. At all.
- Assuming things constantly? "Oh, no, I think someone died! It MUST have been [Insert character]" *has next to no evidence but spends next three chapters full of guilt*

Thing I Did Like:
- The word "Seelie"
- Good descriptions of attractive people.
- Main character wasn't an ass.
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
This was loads of angst, over the top YA fun. Lots of interesting fae law, a paranormal scooby murder mystery and handsome dark haired and moody beaus. If you're a fan of Holly Black and want something with a little more smooch, then do try this one.
Sarah Anne Ross (farfromsarah)
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 (super specific I know but it wasn't a 4 and it wasn't a 4.5 sooo)

I LOVED this. I'm super fussy with fairy books and I'm so glad that I enjoyed this one.

Finally a book where the characters actually act their age; listening to current music, constantly on Facebook, and crushing on all of the cute boys. There were so many pop culture references and I loved it. And the writing actually sounded like the inner monologue of a 17 year old girl.

I also loved how realistic everything was, like if
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
This was definitely a case of "right book, right time" for me. I'd meant to review something else, but it was clear from the first page that we weren't going to get along. Since I had a Monsterhearts game coming up, I thought I'd give Valentine a go instead. It turned out to be the perfect mood-setter.

But I think I was always going to love this book. As I've mentioned before, I was a huge fan of Holly Black's Tithe, and Valentine hits many of the same buttons. The book starts off with a strange
Fleur Ferris
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a ride, that was.

I read this book knowing nothing about it, I didn't even read the blurb because I like to read blind - I want to discover things as the writer intended - for me, this is the ultimate reading experience. Valentine delivered! I laughed, cried, gasped, fell in love, held my breath and sat on the edge of my seat. I read late into the night because I couldn't put it down. The only good thing about finishing this book is knowing that another follows it. Valentine is the fir
Kat at Book Thingo
I’m probably biased because Jodi blogs at Book, but I love her narrative voice, and the fact that every time I thought I had a handle on where the plot was going, Valentine still leaves room for surprise. Also, there’s quite a bit of kissing and I am so here for that!
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a really fun read. And the author is originally from my local area, so that's cool too!
Chent Higson
Quite glad this didn't end with a cliff hanger so I don't feel obligated to read the next one.
Things I liked included Disey and Shad and...that's about it.
Things I didn't like was just about everything else. This book took so many leaps it got ridiculous. All of a sudden they're calling someone the Valentine. Im don't even know when it become a title. There were so many leaps in information, like suddenly Oh Hey We Know This Thing It Makes Total Sense.
I don't give two shits about the oh-so-ha
Trisha
Update: Released too early to use for RSO, so I wrote a review on my blog, Trish Talks Texts. It's up now.

Gosh, this covers A LOT of shelves. Pearl is the sassiest narrative voice i have read in a while. The story burbles along at a brisk pace, and I loved it.

Wish the blurb didn't give so much away. Maybe the final print release will be more secretive (but people can read it all here, can't they?) hmm.
Diem
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5
This was super duper fun to read.

Review to come on podcast.
Chloe Hughes
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow- this was page turning, engaging and thrilling!
The cover and Tagline “ This is not a fairytale” pulled me in.
One other fairy story I have read was Holly Black’s The Cruel Prince but this was so much more!
I loved the fact this is an Australian story set in an unnamed town somewhere near Sydney or on the border of Victoria and NSW as Melbourne and Sydney popped up briefly.
I had to buy Ironheart at the same time as I felt I would be reading it soon after! 😁
TJ
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Finally, I was able to read it until the end. The story was just so dragging it was almost a dnf and I don't even want to start with the characters. And...the writing. From my own opinion, it was like an amateur teenager writing a cliche story. *sigh* sorry not sorry

But, I really don't want a dnf with any of my book list this year eventhough it really is inevitable. I want every book that I will read to finish it and criticize it wholly. Anyway my thoughts regarding this book is that it could've
Jackie :)
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Roz
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the book. It's fairies in the bush! no, not Snugglepot and Cuddlepie. For some reason they popped up in my mind whenever I think about bush fairies, even though they are not fairies.

Anyway, I found the main characters of Valentine fascinating some of the times and totally annoying at other times. The pacing is good and the dialogues are funny. I especially enjoy the process of weaponising vegemite. I would've liked to see how it worked.

some spoiler...

We still don't know why they were l
Leife Shallcross
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read it in a day. Valentine is fun, funny & fast-paced & Pearl is a compelling & distinctive protagonist of the smart-ass-teenager variety. There's lots of little easter eggs for fairy/folklore tragics and a very satisfying enemies-to-lovers romance with, all-in-all, enough threads tied off to be satisfying, and enough left dangling for me to be itching to pick the next one up.
Kayla
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book! It was fun and I love the idea of Fae and changelings.
aprille
Actual rating 4.5

A strong, original YA fantasy that had me hooked. The lore has been well researched and well written, the protagonist is strong and fierce in her own way and I adored the romance.

(view spoiler)

Emily Taylor
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
More of a 3.7.

Valentine is unapologetic, teenage angst shaped as a non-fairytale fairytale.

The protagonist, Pearl, is honest and raw and both irritating and charming.
Her strength is her depth of character, which is also her weakness as I can never tell if this is a crafted character or just incidental to the author's own self coming through (who is a sweetheart in person).

The plot is fairly straightforward and I was amused at the end when Pearl seemingly forgot she already suspected (even figure
Kirsti
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I first saw this for sale, the cover was the first thing that drew me in. Seriously, that thing is just gorgeous! And then above it the words 'This is not a fairytale' hinted at something a little different. Then I put it down again because of a single sentence on the back "But there's one problem: the explosive chemistry between them..." GROAN. Another promising book looked to be ruined by a terrible romance, or so I thought. After two weeks of picking it up every chance I had to go shoppi ...more
  • Mr Romanov's Garden in the Sky
  • Out of the Shadows (Shadowlands, #1)
  • Frankie
  • Waer
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • The Rift
  • The Build-up Season
  • Small Spaces
  • Gap Year in Ghost Town
  • White Night
  • Nightbloom (Nightwing, #3)
  • Blood of the Sorcerer  (The Kingdom Chronicles #2)
  • Special
  • Living on Hope Street
**Want to dip your toes into the Valentine universe? Try the free short story Galentine, set a year and a bit before the events of Valentine. http://jodimcalister.com.au/galentine/ **

Jodi is the author of the Valentine series, a young adult paranormal romance/urban fantasy series about smart girls, small towns, and scary fairies. There are three books in the series available: Valentine (2017), Iro

Valentine (3 books)
  • Ironheart (Valentine, #2)
  • Misrule (Valentine, #3)