Start by marking “Stay Sweet” as Want to Read:
Stay Sweet

Stay Sweet

A summer read about first love, feminism, and ice cream.

Summer in Sand Lake isn’t complete without a trip to Meade Creamery—the local ice cream stand founded in 1944 by Molly Meade who started making ice cream to cheer up her lovesick girlfriends while all the boys were away at war. Since then, the stand has been owned and managed exclusively by local girls, who inevitably
Published April 24th 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stay Sweet, please sign up.
F. It's weird. The sub-plot, about Molly Meade saying to heck with the world, she'd have her ice cream stand, was feminist. But most of the plot was abou…moreIt's weird. The sub-plot, about Molly Meade saying to heck with the world, she'd have her ice cream stand, was feminist. But most of the plot was about Amelia, who did some things with agency but ended up in the arms of a bland, kinda arrogant guy for reasons of . . . ? I dunno. Cuz a romance was needed?

Also the language was annoying, present tense throughout for no good reason. In all I enjoyed it but its connection to feminism is tenuous at best and the language is just weird. (less)

Start your review of Stay Sweet
Cristina Monica
May 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
I smell summer.

If you’re tempted to lie in your backyard, under the sun, to get tanned or simply enjoy the outdoors, I certainly encourage you to consider taking this book with you.

The concept is fairly original. Who would have thought that an ice cream stand would mean so much to so many people and have its own developed back-story?

And yet it does.

The fact that Molly started this business during WWII to cheer up her girlfriends whose boyfriends or brothers or fathers were at war is admirable an
emma
Mar 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Here is a short version of this review: “I have never in my life yelled at a [book] like this. When my mother yells like this it’s because she loves me. I was rooting for you! We were all rooting for you! How dare you! Learn something from this! When you go to bed at night, you lay there and you take responsibility for yourself - because nobody’s going to take responsibility for you. You’re rolling your eyes and you act like it’s because you've heard it all before, you’ve heard it all before. Yo ...more
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a small business owner, there was so much about this book that I enjoyed. Seeing how the ice cream stand began back in the 40’s, reading about a young woman starting a business when no one but her friends believed in her, how that business continued to be successful and beloved over many many years, all the lives it touched (both employees and customers)...I loved it! I loved the focus on female friendship and ladies doing things for themselves. And I love how the book ended, but I won’t spoi ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was mega cute and sugary sweet. Definitely the perfect book to read outside this summer! I will say though that I wasn’t at all a fan of the romance in this one; I was WAY more invested in the status of the ice cream shop itself and the bond between all the Meade Creamery Girls tbh. If you’re reading this one hoping for a swoon worthy romance, I would maybe adjust your expectations a little, but overall still a very fun read!
chan ☆
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
should the best friend have gotten a redemption arc? fuck no.

but i loved everything else about this book :)
Heather
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-contemporary
2.75/5

Such mixed feelings about this one!
I really enjoyed reading about how the ice cream stand came to be & the process of making ice cream but everything else fell flat.
The romance was not believable and way to rushed, the main female friendship was catty and our main character Amelia just tried way to hard with her friend Cate.
This is a fast, enjoyable read but and perfect for summer but I was left very underwhelmed...

but it makes me want to make and eat ice cream so there's that!
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
Cute, easy, YA fluff. Maybe it's just been too long since I've been in high school, but Amelia was weirdly obsessed with her best friend Cate, right? Now I want to go make my own ice cream...
TS
This, unfortunately, is a solid no from me.

Look, I have nothing against fluffy contemporaries. Nothing at all. In fact, I like to seek them out, because they’re refreshing. STAY SWEET, in particular, has this (from the outset, at least) a nice fun summery feeling. It promised ice cream and a a friendly squad of girls and a hint of romance. It looked GOOD, is my point. And I was looking forward to reading it.

Was it any good? *shakes head vehemently*

The main problem, I believe, was the lack of d
Maureen
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars

I really enjoyed this! it was the perfect light read that I needed right in the moment. The story within a story about Molly, the ice cream stand owner, was AMAZING. I WANT MORE OF HER PLZ. I really liked seeing Amelia grow as a character and learn what she wanted for her future. I also liked Grady and also liked that the love story wasn't really at the forefront of the book.
Overall, a fantastic summer read!
Helene Jeppesen
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was cute, and sweet, and filled with ice cream - exactly what I was looking for! I wasn’t expecting too much from this except that I wanted a cute, fluffy contemporary to read in the hot spring sunshine. When I came across this novel which deals with girls working in an ice cream stand for a summer, I knew this was it.
Some reviews and synopses say that this is a book of feminism which I think is stretching it a bit. Yes, it is about girls having control over an ice cream stand, but the sto
✦ Maica ✦
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
"But maybe the only thing stopping her were the limits she put on herself."

This book is as sweet as the ice cream it sells!
The Meade Creamery has been open for business every summer since 1944 and after decades of ice cream and satisfied customers, they have become an essential summer must have. It's not officially summer unless you take a bite out of their delicious homemade ice cream - vanilla, chocolate, strawberry or home sweet home. This summer Amelia has been promoted to head g
Tin
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I would like to thank Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing for providing me a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book and the opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

While I was reading the book, I craved for ice cream the whole time. I suggest you guys have a tub of your favorite ice cream before starting this book because you will need it. This book is such a refreshing contemporary read like no other.

The last summer bef
Aj the Ravenous Reader

This is one sweet book indeed. Everything about it is sweet from the title, the main character, up to the ice cream- they’re all simply sweet for a perfect summer read (cheesy rhyming, I know, lol!) which I think is a huge change in the author’s usual themes in her earlier novels.

Even though the plot might seem superficial-basically about selling ice cream, the history behind it made it very substantial giving the main story a deeper sub-story written as diary entries by Molly Meade
emi
Omg I read a book.

I also learned that I didn't forget how to read.

Maybe I'll even write a review? Maybe? Probably not.

Anyways, it's been a good day for me.
Fares
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I can honestly say that this is one of the easiest books to describe and I can do it with one word... Meh.
The ending was good but I absolutely had no feelings about anything for like 75% of the book.
Peggy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
Fannie Flagg meets YA. Very cute; I’d recommend to anyone who wants a light, fluffy summer read.
Theresa
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!! I absolutely LOVED this book it was exactly what I needed this week and I’m such a sucker for a good summer contemporary. I realized when I was toward the end of the book that one of the reasons I liked it so much was that I really related to Amelia as a main character. I also love all the other characters in the book as well, and I LOVE Grady so much my goodness. The setting was also really nice I love the idea of Sand Lake. If you’re looking for a cute contemporary to kick off your ...more
Lindsay
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
Amelia starts off her first day as Head Girl for Meade's Creamery by finding the dead body of owner Molly Meade inside the ice cream stand. Thinking this is the end to her summer job and the business, she accepts the truth that her planned summer has been broken into shambles until Molly's great nephew arrives in town. A young entrepreneur, Grady announces that he's taking over the business and the girls sprint around to make the stand presentable for opening day. Everything runs smoothly until ...more
Kelly
This might be my favorite Siobhan Vivian yet! It's very in the style of her other books, but with a sweeter edge to it (and still packed with well-drawn, head-strong, complex feminist characters). What I love about Vivian's books is they're so YA -- these are teens being teens, figuring out their teen stuff.

When Amelia is offered the role of Head Girl at the local ice cream stand -- a legend in the small town she's from -- she's excited. It's a job everyone loves in a place everyone loves to wo
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
I knew I needed Stay Sweet by Siobhan Vivian the second I heard about its publication. This book has everything you could possibly want: summer vibes, ice cream, feminism, and friendship. I loved the ice cream parlour setting, and the main character is a strong leader. This book is cute and has an empowering message, and I would definitely recommend it.

Full review on The Candid Cover
Alexa
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I really liked STAY SWEET, friends, and not just for the ice cream (though the ice cream part was obviously amazing). It’s the kind of contemporary I enjoy, with a summer of change, growing pains and still a lot of fun details too.
Alyssa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I actually really liked this one. STAY SWEET is the best type of YA contemporary – it reminds you of all the great things about summer, explores a variety of different relationships, and is just an overall sweet read (you had to have known there was going to be at least one sweet joke here). It reminded me a lot of my favorite Morgan Matson novels like THE UNEXPECTED EVERYTHING.

While I never had the opportunity to have a fun summer job by the lake selling ice cream, this book made me feel like I
Andrea C. *andreandherbookss*
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally 3 stars but changed to 4 stars.
Clara
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Jen Ryland
The sweetest. I really loved this one.

This book is the story of two women: in the past, there's Molly, who starts an ice cream stand in a lakeside town while she and the girls in her community wait for their sweethearts to come back from the war. And in the present, Amelia, who has worked at the stand every summer and has finally made "Head Girl." Until she makes a shocking discovery that turns her entire summer into question.

All in all, I thought this was 31 flavors of cuteness. Read all my tho
Adele
A huge Thank You to Simon & Schuster Canada, via Netgalley, for allowing me to read Stay Sweet by Siobhan Vivian in exchange for an honest review.

My thoughts on Stay Sweet prior to sitting down and reading the book are that even though the premise for Stay Sweet is interesting, I wanted to keep my expectations low. I thought that Stay Sweet would be a story overflowing with fluff. Kind of like a dreamy summer read. Instead, Stay Sweet was more down-to-earth, more realistic. Amelia has graduated
Maria
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. - but it got annoying at times. 3.75, around the 4 star range for me. I want to read the list.
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
3.5 ⭐ A light summery read! I listened to the audiobook! I enjoyed this book!
ضحى الحداد
So this book was a nice summary read, it was so simple and drama free and I liked the atmosphere with the Ice cream stand and the girls friendship in there, it made me nostalgic to things in my own high school days, the simple story was fluffy and the romance was nice .. but nothing was really happening in the book .. up until the end ..
I liked Amelia as a main character and her relationship with Grady is also nice and simple but I wish if it was all about Molly and her story how she
Erin
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This book started off and I was in love. I fell in love with the story of how the ice cream stand started and how it was run, but then things took a turn and my love diminished a little bit.

The writing was dry and made it hard for me to really fall in love with the characters. Right now, I feel more towards the ice cream stand that I do the characters. Amelia was a nice girl sure enough, but overall I was rooting more for the business than anything which is an odd thing to think about.

The frie

• Save the Date
  • Always Never Yours
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • Maybe This Time
  • Starry Eyes
  • Serious Moonlight
  • The Way You Make Me Feel
  • Fame, Fate, and the First Kiss (Love, Life, and the List, #2)
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Love & Luck (Love & Gelato, #2)
  • The Geography of Lost Things
  • Alex, Approximately
  • 9 Days and 9 Nights
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Royals (Royals, #1)
  • Meet Me at Midnight
Siobhan Vivian is the author of THE LAST BOY AND GIRL IN THE WORLD (April 2016), as well as THE LIST, NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, SAME DIFFERENCE, and A LITTLE FRIENDLY ADVICE. She also co-wrote BURN FOR BURN series with her best friend JENNY HAN. She currently lives in Pittsburgh.