Start by marking “Bulldozer Helps Out” as Want to Read:
Bulldozer Helps Out

Bulldozer Helps Out

A very little bulldozer learns that taking care of kittens is a very big job in this follow-up to Bulldozer’s Big Day .

The construction site bustled.
Cement Truck was stirring…stirring…stirring.
Digger Truck was scooping…scooping…scooping.
Crane Truck was lifting…lifting…lifting.
And Bulldozer was—watching…watching…watching.

Little Bulldozer wants to help, but all the bigge
Published May 16th 2017 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Bulldozer Helps Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bulldozer Helps Out

Tonja Drecker
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The rumbling and grumbling of these tough trucks makes little construction worker hearts beat faster, while throwing in the warm, snuggly feeling even the smallest hard-hat wearer needs.

Everything's busy at the construction site, but the bulldozer feels a little left out. While all of the other strong vehicles rumble around, he has nothing to do. When he finally gets a chance to prove his worth, an unexpected surprise brings everything to a halt.

The exciting activity of a construction site comes
Heidi
Cute, didn't end the way I thought.

I figured this book would be cute. After all it's by Candace Fleming and Eric Rohmann. And that smiling little bulldozer on the cover is pretty irresistible. I thought going in that this was going to be a story about someone little being perfectly capable of helping out the bigger machines. That isn't a particularly new story line for the preschool crowd. But I was delightfully surprised to discover that this book took the little helping big storyline to a diff
Becky
First sentence: The construction site bustled. Cement Mixer was stirring...stirring...stirring. Crane Truck was lifting...lifting...lifting. Digger Truck was scooping...scooping...scooping. And Bulldozer was--"Watching...watching...watching," he said with a sigh.

Premise/plot: Will Bulldozer get to work on this construction project? Construction work, he's told, is for rough, tough trucks. Can Bulldozer be rough and tough? The other construction trucks give him a work assignment, but can Bulldoz
Lauren Kramer
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In Bulldozer Helps Out by Candance Fleming, Bulldozer would give anything to help out on the construction site. Cement Mixer was stirring; Crane Truck was lifting. Even Digger Truck was scooping. What was Bulldozer doing? Watching.

He asked his fellow trucks what he could do to be part of the project. Dump Truck told him he was too little to help. The other trucks agreed that construction work is only for rough and tough trucks.

Feeling sorry for Bulldozer, Crane gives him a special task. He must
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Fleming, Candace. Bulldozer Helps Out, PICTURE BOOK. Antheneum Books for Young Readers, 2017. $17.99.

Bulldozer wants a job to do! All the other work trucks keep telling it that the jobs they are doing are too rough, too big, or too difficult for him. He is finally given a job to clear up a large pile of rubble. Bulldozer rushes over, completely excited, and when he gets there, he stops. All the other trucks are confused and don’t understand why he isn’t working. When they get to him in huff, t
Darcie Caswell
A group of trucks working on a construction site. Bulldozer sits on the side, "watching, watching, watching", eager to help but told by the bigger trucks that he is too small, that this work is for "rough, tough trucks". Crane suggests bulldozer clear a pile of trash, and bulldozer sets to work, charging off then coming to a fairly quick halt, then settling in and humming a lullaby. When the other trucks come by to check on bulldozer, they are upset that he hadn't done any work, and were very di ...more
Ruth Anne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story is a universal child experience of being too small to work with the big guys. Bulldozer watches the larger construction vehicles working. He offers to help and of course he is told he is too small. After thinking it over, the other vehicles give him a task. At first it looks like Bulldozer was not up to doing the work. He finds something unexpected and gets a new assignment and we get the happy ending. Perfect for pre-schoolers. The illustrations are mostly done in primary colors and ...more
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Bulldozer is having a hard time. He's too little to help any of the other construction equipment, but he so wants to be rough and tough like them. Finally, they find the perfect job for him! However, there's a bit of a surprise for everyone, but Bulldozer still proves that he's ready for a rough, rough job.

This new story about Bulldozer is a great combination of a rough tough construction story and a sweet story. It will be enjoyed by many!

-dmz
Jen Betton
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Bulldozer wants to help out! He's big enough! He can do it! Kids will relate to Bulldozer's desire to be like the bigger vehicles in his life, and when they give him a job to do, he is determined to do the best job he can. This is an incredibly sweet construction story. The ending took me by surprise, in a wonderful way! I'm a huge fan of Candace Fleming and Eric Rohman, and this book does not disappoint.
Samantha
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Little Bulldozer is anxious to help out, but the other construction machines all finds reasons why Bulldozer isn't ready for the work. Finally, they assign Little Bulldozer a task, but are upset when hours later the work isn't complete. Little do they know that Bulldozer has a very good reason: kittens!

Relief block prints. PreK-2.
Vicki
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Cute story line, fun pictures make a nice story about construction equipment, with a moral that size doesn't matter.

It's not smooth flowing story to read along. I had trouble saying "clanged Crane" multiple times.
Beckie
My almost 3 yr old daughter is really in to cars and trucks at the moment. She picked this book out tonight from our library book pile and loves every moment of it. Both kids loved the kittens at the end. Will definitely be checking out more Bulldozer books.
Lynn
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Little Bulldozer shows a big, compassionate decision. Suspense and resolution very satisfying. Same bold colors as in her other Bulldozer book - can't wait to shelve this with it in the library for my preschoolers!
Edward Sullivan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A perky little bulldozer and adorable kittens. What more could you want?
Christine
Another fun truck-themed picture book with a surprise ending (and a bit of a nod to the parents thrown in for good measure).
Jillian
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good. It's kind of refreshing to have a construction equipment book that has more of a story than "this is what each machine does."
Hannah
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: construction
Average construction book. Kind of bland storyline
Becky
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
For a book about talking construction machines, I can't seem to suspend my disbelief enough to think that that ending is a good idea. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
Viviane Elbee
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is for fans of construction trucks and kittens. My kids asked for re-reads. It’s appropriate for toddlers, preschoolers and young elementary students.
Gps
the story line is familiar, the little bulldozer is out of his league b/c all the larger machines do the bulk of the work. the ending is a bit of a surprise, but seems out os place in some ways.
Ms.Gaye
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bulldozer is so cute! His fans will be glad to see him back, and this time he has some cute friends join him as well.
Bonn
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: toddler-approved
Adorable trucks meet kittens?! W was over the moon for this one, but the dialogue is so odd for me
Alice
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The partnership between these two produces beautiful work.
A.C. Paige
What the heck bulldozer? Aren't you supposed to be doing a job? Wait... what is this? :)
Nikki
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice variation of the recent influx of picture books about construction sites. The reveal at the end would make this a perfect book for storytime.
Casandria
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A construction book with a cute twist.
Allison
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable.
Kary
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A little bulldozer who just wants to be helpful. The big trucks send him off to clean a field and later think that he is slacking off. What he was doing was protecting some baby kittens!
Janet
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
You know how it is when you are little and unable to do the job, well bulldozer finally is permitted to help, but why is he just sitting there. Definitely a surprise ending.
Amanda
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Want to read this for storytime and see how it goes over. Love the twist at the end. Illustrations are brilliant. Lovely.
I have always been a storyteller. Even before I could write my name, I could tell a good tale. And I told them all the time. As a preschooler, I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. In kindergarten, I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. And in first grade I told my teacher, Miss Harbart, all about my family's trip to Paris, France.

I told such a good st