Start by marking “Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)

Shimmer and Burn

(Shimmer and Burn #1)

To save her sister’s life, Faris must smuggle magic into a plague-ridden neighboring kingdom in this exciting and dangerous start to a brand-new fantasy duology.

Faris grew up fighting to survive in the slums of Brindaigel while caring for her sister, Cadence. But when Cadence is caught trying to flee the kingdom and is sold into slavery, Faris reluctantly agrees to a lucra
Published August 8th 2017 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Shimmer and Burn, please sign up.
The Belle A lot of people receive books as ARCs through platforms like Netgalley, Edelweiss or from the publisher and its publicity staff. If you are a reviewer…moreA lot of people receive books as ARCs through platforms like Netgalley, Edelweiss or from the publisher and its publicity staff. If you are a reviewer or a librarian, or even an avid reader, you can request these books in exchange for a review. Sometimes the books are months away from publication date. I have a book Disney sent me on my TBR list that isn't due for publication until January of 2018. The publisher is attempting to create buzz about their books and also, if the buzz is bad, there is still time to tweak the novel since it's just in ARC form. (less)
Wayong The author said it's the first of a duology.
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,085 books — 8,353 voters
Caraval by Stephanie GarberThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasWintersong by S. Jae-JonesGilded Cage by Vic JamesBlood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves
YA Debuts 2017
207 books — 1,550 voters

More lists with this book...

Candace Robinson
This one was all right. There are some plot twists and some decent characters, but overall I wanted a little more from it. I still want to check out book 2, though!
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
When you see there's a cover model, and you like your covers model free...

photo giphy_zpsa2i4nefe.gif

---

Wait, why was the title changed? No!!! Until Our Blood Runs Clean was a way cooler title! =(

photo tumblr_m7c4br52p01qiq1olo1_500_zps9hesc5gt.gif
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I have no words for how fantastic this was! There was something very Maria V. Snyder-esque in the world building and story. And the Magic and swoons! OMG!!!! I need book 2 now!!!
mith
you can find my review on my blog as well!

"My mother tried to kill me the night the guards arrested her."

Y'all.

I'm speechless.

This is a book I picked up on a whim, at 3 AM, because my friend couldn't pick a book for me and I was desperate. So I randomly picked a book with my eyes closed and it was the best. Decision. Ever.

I was hooked from the first line of this book. And that doesn't happened often. I mean, how can you not be hooked by that? Better yet, it didn't just stop there.

The entire
Sabrina
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2017
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

love this book with all my heart. This book needs more hype. This book deserves more hype. Apparently the original title was, Until Our Blood Runs Clean. THIS title says a lot. I won't say how or why because I want you guys to read this book but this title says a lot.

This book exceeded my expectations. What I loved most was how real and raw the characters were. North, the male MC was a gentleman, like a real gentleman,
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, fantasy, favorites
Gah this was so good! But I was a little confused by the many, many plot twists. xD I think I have to reread this ASAP in order to review it properly. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND READ THIS BOOK!
Sheila Goicea
This full review can also be viewed on my blog along with others at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

description
Wake up, I think helplessly, but she needs magic for that, and the king keeps it all locked in his castle.

Faris is a girl who knows how tough life can be. Growing up in the slums of Brindaigel, she learned to fight, and defend her family at a young age. She knows that her actions always including paying a price,
Emily
Aug 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned around 31%. This book plays YA fantasy trope bingo, which creates a mishmash of bad plotting and characters who make unbelievably dumb decisions. There are lots of good fantasy words - the slums are the Brim, the merchants live on the Ridge - but this feels like window dressing rather than a real world inhabited by real people. Nowhere is this more apparent than the first chapter, where the author tries to spin up this crazily intricate scene that ends in disaster. (view spoiler) ...more
Beatrice in Bookland
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
"A weak heart breaks, a broken heart bleeds, and blood can be poisoned."

4.25

Why does this book have such a low rating??
It's original, unputdownable and it also has an amazing female lead and morally grey characters!
I'm honestly so in love with the story and the magic system, if you need me you can find me hugging my copy with a smile on my face lol
Rachael (RedRchlReads)
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, arcs
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

Shimmer and Burn was an intriguing fantasy debut, that was action packed from first page to last. There was a lot to like about the story, including the worldbuilding and everything about the magic system. The author is clearly a talented and creative writer, who thought through every aspect of the world she created, with special emphasis on the main focus of the story - magic. The magic system in this world
Mellie Antoinette
Well, this is a first. Technically, I’m DNFing this at 93%. I’m just not all that invested in nor do I feel chapter 25 is necessary. This is an intriguing quandary. With short bursts of magical fire and long winded stretches of slow burn, I both ooohed and ughed over this one. Excellent library read for the slow times.

Long story short - fitting title!
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Shimmer and Burn was such a delightful surprise. I went into this book not knowing what to expect, and I was surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. I actually ended up reading this book in one sitting because it became very addictive very quickly. I thought the plot of Shimmer and Burn was creative and captivating. This was a story I never wanted to end!

I loved the fantasy elements of this book. The author created such an enchanting and mesmerizing world that I became lost in. There were
Austine (NovelKnight)
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-releases
Another grand slam in YA fantasy debuts, Shimmer and Burn is the third release of the year in this genre that I absolutely adored (see also Song of the Current and  Caraval ). With a unique take on magic and fantasy kingdoms combined with characters you'll love to, well love (and also hate), this book was such a fun read and I flew through it in record time.

Y'all, I need the sequel. Now please?

First, there's Faris. Not your typical heroine. She's tough because she has to be, she steals and lies
nick
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it

YA fantasy used to be one of my favorite genres in the past, but lately, I haven’t been meshing well with it. But still every time that I hear about a new fantasy book releasing, my interests piques. Shimmer and Burn was one of those books that tickled my fancy. Then I took a closer look at the book summary, and the minute I found out the plot was centered around the relationship between two sisters, I was more than in. I’m thrilled that my gut feelings about this book was right.

The main element
lady victoriana
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
I should have liked this book...in fact, from the very first chapter it felt different than most YA fantasy. Faris, a motherless young woman, already has a love interest. They are both trapped in the country of Brindaigel (which gave me serious Brigadoon vibes) by their king, who claims to be protecting them from a magical plague in the neighboring kingdom. Tragedy strikes fairly quickly for Faris and her beloved, and she ends up being blackmailed into taking a dangerous journey into the plague- ...more
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
2.75

I think that Shimmer and Burn is the kind of book that doesn't know for ceratin what it is. It doesn't know what direction it's going towards. And therefor I don't know what to think abut this book either honestly. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. It was just a strange experience. Kind of like so many other YA books I've read, but also not.. Just all over the place. Also, world building is hella confusing.

**************************************

“What if after all this time, it was
alice (arctic books)
This really exceeded my expectations; I loved this one a whole lot. Trigger warnings for violence, drugging, mention of self-harm. Full review to come!
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Shimmer and Burn by Mary Taranta
Published by Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: August 8, 2017
Rating: 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with an advanced review copy of Shimmer and Burn for an honest review.

Shimmer and Burn has swoon, magic and heart-break, while on a journey to discovery what is really important and worth fighting for. This book is seriously one of the best books I have read in so long!!! I am hoping for so much more to come from this series or th
Plot Monster
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shimmer and Burn by Mary Taranta has 336 pages and was published in 2017 by Margaret K. McElderry Books.

Shimmer and Burn is a fantastically creative and unique story.  It is filled with so many plot twists it is guaranteed to keep readers on the edge of their seat.

The writing in this novel is superb.  Taranta does an amazing job of telling Faris's story.  The plot is fast-paced and full of twists and turns.  Her style of world-building is lush and vivid.  The characters are engaging and interest
Brittney Andrews (beabookworm)
One of the best premises that I’ve read about it in a very long time. Definitely adding this to my ‘holy-grail-shelf’. I loved every absolutely everything about this book and I am dying to read the sequel.
Hetal
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
[ ALERT: Can't remember what happened in Shimmer and Burn?
Visit my new blog Recap the Rapture for in-depth recaps of some of your favorite books!]

To see more reviews, considering taking a peek at my first in series YA book blog here

Shimmer and Burn was everything I wanted and never knew I needed.

Bryn: A villain you love to hate but isn't what you expected.

Faris: A female protagonist who knows you must live to fight another day and that some battles must be lost. She has lost many. Many bat
Cody Roecker
Mar 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
I mean. Read the blurb.
Katrin D
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
When you wonder why they changed the original title into such a generic one...
Aoi
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Antenna wave theory is much more easier to follow than the convoluted magic systems present in Shimmer and Burn. The plot points and 'world building' are just window dressing to a second-hand, hastily assembled junkyard of a shop. After some time, I tend to care a rat's ass about the protagonist and her whiny-sorry excuse of a sister.

Barely survived, but lived to DNF @20%
Shira
Dec 18, 2016 marked it as to-read
I click want to read, largely because of the GORGEOUS COVER with a REAL LIFE GIRL this is not a good idea not a good idea at all
TheYALibrarian
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Bright Star
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a book! Shimmer and Burn was such an incredible reading! We have political intrigues (which were never boring), strong characters, slow burn romance and plot twists! Fortunately, it didn't end with a strong cliffhanger, but you want the second and final book right now anyway!
Iryna Khymych
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Disclaimer - I received an ARC of this book from the Publisher - thank you publisher.

Shimmer and Burn was completely not what I was expecting.

The book follows a story of Faris, a young woman whose mother tries to kill her when she was eight years old. It is set in a kingdom that has isolated itself because of "the plague" that ravages the neighboring kingdom of Avenia where magic has gone putrid and kills those that come in contact with it. However, life in Brindaigel (Faris' home) is not easy;
Lisa
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Talk about a dismal existence, geesh!! This was pretty cool, magic could be and was a poison and man if it wasn't just creepy and having hold your breath moments. Theres some good twists and turns. This story is just getting started and I will happily be reading the next. I loved Faris and North and pretty much most of the people in this but the princess, what a heartless and cruel bitch, karma needs to visit her and the punk ass king!! Obviously, this story stirred my emotions!!!
Christina (christinareads_)
Review also on Christina Reads and Blogs

When I finished this book, I thought about giving it 2.5 stars, but as I thought more, I figured I’m going to read the sequel to see what happens next. So why not add that extra .5 star. I was disappointed by Shimmer and Burn. I had high hopes. The plot is intriguing and that cover is beautiful. But as I read more, I realized I wasn’t going to like it as much as I wanted to.

Stuck in a kingdom surrounded by mountains, Faris only wishes to escape and be fre
YA Book Lovers`: 2017 August BOTM: Shimmer and Burn 2 10 Aug 03, 2017 09:33PM
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
I write stories about bloodshed and tears, and in some cases, kissing.

Born and raised in rural Ohio, I now live in the sprawling suburbs of Central Florida wherein I complain about the heat, pay homage to the air conditioner, and prefer to drink my iced tea sweet.

Shimmer and Burn (2 books)
  • Splendor and Spark (Shimmer and Burn, #2)
“With every high comes the inevitable, unavoidable low.” 6 likes
“With every high comes the inevitable, unavoidable low. Pain layered upon pain; there's no escaping the broken heart inside me.” 3 likes