Start by marking “Best. Night. Ever.: A Story Told from Seven Points of View” as Want to Read:
Best. Night. Ever.: A Story Told from Seven Points of View

Best. Night. Ever.: A Story Told from Seven Points of View

Love Actually meets Adventures in Babysitting in this hilarious novel written by seven authors about seven classmates who are preparing for a crazy night at their middle school dance.

Lynnfield Middle School is prepped and ready for a dance to remember, including an awesome performance from Heart Grenade, the all-girl band who recently won a Battle of the Bands contest. Sev
Published August 15th 2017 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Best. Night. Ever., please sign up.
Keona No it is not if it was in the book information summery it would not say a middle grade novel A so like YEAH DUH if you didnt know middle grade is 6th…moreNo it is not if it was in the book information summery it would not say a middle grade novel A so like YEAH DUH if you didnt know middle grade is 6th 7th 8th 5th maybe even 4th(less)

may ❀
Aug 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
i'm not generally into middle school fiction BUT WHAT THE FRICK WHY DIDNT ANY TELL ME ABOUT THIS BEFORE THIS LOOKS ADORABLE AND SO CUTE

NEED. NEED. NEED. NEED.
Greg Andree
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(Greg's note - Nova did not put this book down today. She didn't even stop reading while she was eating. Update: She was reading it again when I checked in on her last night)

Review by 10yo Novalee:

Best. Night. Ever. is an amazing piece of literature with seven points of view. There are also seven authors, each writing from one point of view. The setting is at a school dance, where each character runs into one to one hundred problems.

What I really liked was you could know what multiple characte
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Guys! This was such a FUN book - total middle school hijinks complete with a dance, a rocking band and an autocorrect mishap! (so funny) I laughed out loud so many times and was brought back to my own grade school dance many years ago where I swayed to Kiss From a Rose by Seal and ate Dominoes pizza with my friends.

Kid readers are going to love this. So will adult readers! I know know I did!
Adrienne Carrick
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun story! Told from seven points of view and written by seven authors, and yet seamlessly came together as though written by one. Great walk down memory lane for anyone who attended a school dance!
Monica Tesler
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was really looking forward to reading this book, and it didn't disappoint. I can imagine it was challenging to craft a cohesive text with so many authors, but they really pulled it off! Each character is unique and developed while the story as a whole is fun and well plotted. This book brought back so many middle school dance memories for me--planning committees, slow dances, crushes, all the drama! Whether you're headed to your first dance in the near future or looking for a taste of nostalgi ...more
Miss Amy
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
READ- ARC I so enjoyed this realistic perspective on middle school life today, as these 7 kids and their friends get ready for their first middle school dance and a rock performance by a small group of them. It was raw, funny and true. Some predictability and some definite surprises. I found it hard to put down...I just wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen with each character. They all had issues to deal with and I enjoyed figuring out who was who on the cover as I got to know ea ...more
Amy Leigh
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Remember movies like 10 Things I Hate About You and Sixteen Candles and She's All That? This book reminded me of how awesome movies used to be. I don't have fond memories of any dances I attended in school but I do have fond memories of the movies I watched at that age. This book gives you all those same feelings. The coolest part is seven different authors wrote each of the seven perspectives and it flows so well!! Such a cool book!
Janet
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was so fortunate to receive an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

SO. MUCH. FUN. This book tells the story of one middle grade dance from the POV of seven characters. The band members. The rivals. The soon-to-be-sisters. The boy in the friend zone. I loved all the memories it brought back of my own middle school dances. I loved seeing how each story interwove with the others and pulled everything together by the end.

And I am utterly amazed that seven authors (SEVEN!) could pull
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Alpine, Rachele Best. Night. Ever. 316 pgs. Aladdin (Simon & Schuster), 2017. $16.99 Language – PG (15 swears, 0 “f”), Mature Content – G; Violence – G;

Triona
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read and enjoyed at least one book by most of these authors, so I figured I'd probably like this one—and I was right! Each of the seven main characters has a distinctly different voice and a totally different plot arc, which made it interesting and compulsively readable.

One of the things I liked most was that all of the characters didn't have "mega happy" endings. They grew a little bit, or they realized something about themselves—but the whole book does take place over the course of only o
HazelK_E2
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagine getting an opportunity of a lifetime, it could be a chance to perform, a business opportunity or a party you really want to go to. But then have it being taken away from you because of a family gathering or a flu. Carmen, one of the main characters of this story, had some just like this. She has a band, the Heart Grenade, which was performing at a party to receive an award for winning the Battle of The Bands. But Carmen had to miss it because her parents thought it was better for her to ...more
Darla
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Getting seven authors together to write a novel is quite ambitious. Having recently read Jen Malone's new book "The Art of the Swap" brought this book to my attention. It was an entertaining story. There was a cohesiveness to the story while the individual personalities were allowed to shine. Well done!
Ms. Yingling
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Copy graciously provided by publisher

It's the night of the middle school dance, and the members of Heart Grenade are excited. They won the local battle of the bands, so get to perform at the dance. Unfortunately, Carmen has to go to a stupid family wedding, so the very nervous Genevieve will sing in her place. Other middle school students from whom we hear are Ellie, who is thrilled that Kevin has asked her; Ellie's stepsister Ashlyn, who's irritated that she has to pick up Ellie's babysitting g
Katie
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC - Seven middle school students brave the night of the big dance full of humiliation, anxiety, jealously, and heartbreak. Through the ups and downs of the dance, the characters find inner strength as their stories are brought together.
A story of friendship and personal growth.

This story will remind you of all the best and worst times you had in middle school. It's a great lighthearted realistic fiction.

I especially enjoyed the stories that wove together to bloomed new friendships. (view spo
Emma J
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ms. Kahn
Read my review in School Library Journal.
Minglu
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Best. Night. Ever. is a story told from seven viewpoints, about a middle school dance. I'm not usually one for middle-grade novels, but this was good. This was good.
At first I was like... yeah, right. Seven points of view, middle-grade and by SEVEN authors?
They're gonna mess it up, right?
Nope. They actually did pretty good. And by pretty good, I mean, it's good, like a book written by one person. Obviously it's not very easy to write with six other people and make sure all your stuff fi
Liz
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seven authors came together to write this book, which tells the story of one night from seven points of view. It is the night of the middle school dance and the students of Lynnfield Middle School know it is going to be the most unforgettable night of their lives. But, like most of our experiences in middle school, it turns out far different than they had planned.

The kids sound believably seventh grade, and range from the hopeless-romantic bookworm to the angry and sarcastic popular kid. The boo
stranger_books
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites!

“THIS IS THE BEST NIGHT EVER!”

ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪ ʟɪᴋᴇᴅ:

I loved the characters! At the beginning I was hating on Ashlyn, Carmen, and Tess but halfway through the book they won my heart! I loved every character and their development! They were all amazing. Beautifuly written.

The plot was wonderful! I thought it was amazing. The story all turned out well and I was happy with anything the authors threw at us.

I was super happy with the ending. The ending was super cute and flu
Carro Herdegen
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language – PG (15 swears, 0 “f”), Mature Content – G; Violence – G; Middle school is difficult for everyone, and the pressure only gets more intense at the first school dance of the year. Told from seven perspectives, Malone and company tell the stories of both popular and unpopular kids as they make plans for revenge and forgiveness, friendship and surprises. Read seven adventures that come together in one night—and not one of them is going according to plan.
Not only did the seven authors write
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, juvenile, realistic
I really liked the idea of this book - a story told from many points of view. I've read other books like it with mixed results, but I return to them because movies that use this format usually work well for me. I thought this one was mostly successful, but I would have liked a greater variety in the points of view - there is only one boy who gets his own voice and I had a hard time keeping the girls distinct (they seemed to have a lot of the same issues). There was a pretty good diversity to the ...more
Clara
When I first picked this up, I was worried that it'd be a silly tale riddled with teenage drama, but it's not. At least, not to the point of annoying you.
It's a story that, because it's from different perspectives, shows you all the challenges that kids can face and it shows a good way- generally speaking- of how to overcome them.
It introduces you one by one to the characters. Carmen is the lead singer in an all-girl band that's about to perform on tv during a school dance after winning the Batt
Beverly
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun, quick read. A middle grade adventure in "OMG, did that just happen?". I believe there was a representative character for just about every type of middle school personality. The meeting of all these types the night of the big dance where the latest winner of Battle of the Bands is going to perform for not only the dancers but also a television audience turns into an epic, entertaining fiasco. I really wish there had been this type of book available when I was a middle grade ...more
MaykenAlanna
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of dances, prom and the like, because those have never been my thing, but this book makes it indeed the best dance night I've ever read about. It is told by 7 authors through the point of view of 7 characters, seven kids (yes, including a boy) to whom this dance is the most important night ever, for very different reasons. It is amazing how the different viewpoints and different aspects of this very eventful evening are woven together. I couldn't even decide whom I liked be ...more
The Library Lady
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
NOT the Best.Book.Ever. But okay.
The fact that this was done by multiple authors somehow didn't give it the individual voice ring I'd have expected, and it was all pretty predictable, but readers much younger than me who watch the middle school shows on Disney Channel will find this much to their taste. Nice fluffy brain candy.
Kaci
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was tough. I thought the 7 perspectives were going to be cool, but I feel like the individuals drowned because there were so many of them. Plot line was rather shallows. I read this with my girl-heavy JH book club and they were not amused. Not a lot of fodder for discussion. I see value in this book for a middle school collection, but it wasn't the best fit for our book club.
Bre
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was an interesting twist of how people act in middle school. This was very realistic and you can relate to it.

There are the popular girls, the nice girls, the troublemakers, and all the boys. That's what this book was about. All of the 7 points of views of 7 characters that 7 authors wrote, it made an amazing story for middle school student to read.
Jamie Ghione
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was excited to read this book after receiving it from Amazon. It was interesting to read a story presented from seven different points of view. Hilarious and intriguing, it has the makings of a movie. Definitely recommended.
Jaymie
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seven authors tell the story of one middle school dance from 7 points of view. Together it makes one FUN story! I felt like the kids acted and sounded older than 7th grade but other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this.

I received an electronic arc from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Jeanne
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This will be a regular rec for my middle school readers from now on. Has good pacing with the various points of view and should appeal to the middle grade crowd who has grown up on Disney Channel sitcoms.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Deep Water
  • Medusa Jones
  • Jem and the Holograms, Vol. 4: Enter the Stingers
  • Itty Bitty Hellboy
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Ready, Steady, Go!: The Smashing Rise and Giddy Fall of Swinging London
  • The Princess Games
  • Mabel Opal Pear and the Rules For Spying
  • My Name Is Brain Brian
  • Freddie and Me: A Coming-of-Age (Bohemian) Rhapsody
  • The Big Splash
  • Children of Refuge (Children of Exile #2)
I once spent a year traveling the world solo from Nepal to Romania to Fiji, where I learned 99.9% of humanity is pretty freaking awesome yet somehow doesn't share my love of ice cubes in a drink. I met my husband on the highway, literally. In fact our meet-cute was SO cute we had a whole story written about it in Ladies Home Journal. My twin boys placed second in the Most Identical contest at the ...more