Start by marking “Boy” as Want to Read:
Boy

Boy

In the style of Blake Nelson’s cult favorite, Girl comes a brand-new story about the moments in life that change how you see everything and everyone you always thought you knew—including yourself.

Every school has them: the cool kids. The insiders. Gavin Meeks is one of them. He lives an easy life of parties, girls, snowboarding adventures and whatever else comes his way.

Bu
Published June 6th 2017 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy

Mikaela
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Let me start by saying, This book is not a "bad" book. However, I do find some issues with the plot and description of the book. When I picked this book, I was under the impression that Antoinette and Gavin were going to have this epic love story. That is not the case though. Gavin and Antoinette hardly spoke. There was no building of their relationship, yet some how Gavin "falls in love" with Antoinette. Antoinette turns Gavin down and they remain friends and that pretty much ends the appearanc ...more
Susane Colasanti
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could I love Blake Nelson's books any more? No. No, I could not. BOY brought all the feels of classic Blake Nelson, and was such a fun, reflective read. Absolutely recommended...along with all of his other books!
Shannon Knight
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good. Honestly you could just say it's an updated version of Nelson's early-90s classic, Girl, but that's not meant in a bad way. This time we follow a boy named Gavin through his sophomore, junior, and senior years of high school, and it's way better than the time Blake Nelson wrote a poorly realized follow up to Girl and published it in blog format. His writing hasn't been this good in a long time. Well worth the wait!
Madeline
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was a pretty nice, easy read. The thing that got me kind of upset was in the description they said he focused mostly on Antionette and it seemed like he was going to fall in love with her throughout the book . But in the story he had multiple girlfriends and at at the end him and Antioniette just were friends. Over all though the book was a fun read but I could only give it 2 stars.
Cecily Kyle
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the male perspective in this novel, it was a decent coming of age story from the male perpective. Reminded me a little of Thirteen Reasons Why probably because there is a female character named Hannah but just her personality and everyone worrying about her made me think of the novel.
I really enjoyed the photography angle and that creative angst.
Decent Read!
Kelly
I just love how Nelson writes average teens and does so in a way where the voice is just pitch-perfect. An enjoyable ride as Gavin figures out what he wants in his life, watches huge and uncomfortable changes happen in his family (view spoiler), and tries to figure out what it is he wants in a romantic relationship...as well as in his non-romantic relationships.

C.I. DeMann
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's remarkable how powerful a story can be when you focus on every single detail -- good, bad, or indifferent -- over a high school kid's sophomore, junior, and senior years. The reader becomes attached to the character in such a deep way. And because the author's giving you the entire story -- not just some exciting, dramatic, finish line sort of conflict -- when you're done with the book, you're like 'wow, I'm not sure what the story was there, but damn, was it good, and wow, I feel very conf ...more
Becky
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, northwest
I read this on the recommendation of a teenager who loved it.
Marianna
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I devoured it. The same way I devoured Girl almost 22 years ago. There's just something about Blake Nelson's writing style and characters that makes me pause and absorb the words every couple of pages. That perfect way he describes certain things. BOY will go next to GIRL and will get picked up and read and re read over and over again.

****Dearest Mr. Nelson,
I'm going to need a sequel. Gavin in LA needs to be written. Andrea got her sequel, Gavin needs his. 😉
Christiana
Uh. This was fine. Unfortunately, this read like an uninteresting dude learning how to be a little interesting. Not a lot interesting! That’s what happens in college. I can’t decide if Gavin wasn’t an authentic teen at all or just a person who didn’t have a story to tell yet. Either way, the meandering plot didn’t work for me and I hated that he read unattached to anything. Even his supposed passion, photography.
Nikki
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
He's no Andrea Marr, but I liked this Boy.
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-teen
Read for professional review.
Alexis
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
bjneary
Gavin Meeks is such a believable teen; he is cute, plays tennis, has friends, and life feels pretty good. This book takes place during Gavin's sophomore, junior and senior year. I liked Gavin's thoughts, his conversations - he was a good kid who finds are pretty easy, but one day he meets Antionette after her brother has killed himself and Gavin's life changes. Because he is tall, Blond and is popular, he never wants for girl friends, but Antoinette keeps hammering away that Gavin's friends are ...more
Meadow Scruggs
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Christian Fisher
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a decent book but not a lot to keep you interesting like nothing was overly exciting. Its about a boy named Gavin and his popular friends and how he's in the it crowd and how there's people on the outside. A girls brother kills himself and the girl peaks Gavin's interest and he goes to her house and just watches it. She walks out and sees him and doesn't over react. Gavin picks up his brothers camera and decides that he wants to go to art school instead of playing tennis. His friends se ...more
Karen Johnson
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, interesting, different. I can't make up my mind how to rate this. The characterization is excellent, but the plot is ambiguous and there isn't really an ending ? It's more like a realistic chronicle of a sensitive boy's senior year of high school. Authentic sounding, good and bad.

I can't tell if maybe it's masterful but somehow I missed the memo.
Theme - finding your true self. That much I got. And I cared about the boy.
It is also a commentary on selfishness = emptiness (the dad), and resi
Kenniyah Logan
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a fictional book about a boy named Gavin who is trying to find his place in life when he meets a girl and she challenges him. Every choice he makes is based on his friends and family opinions. Even the girl. This girl name is Antoinette. Antoinette is a secret smoker whose gain attraction from Gavin because of her brother's suicide. And to sum up Gavin he is just an insecure white boy whose afraid of what everyone else thinks and has self- esteem issues. This book is cliche and boring. I ...more
Avery
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-r-ks
I thought the book could be really inspiring. In it, it shows a popular boy going through high school, while dealing with family issues and uncovering one major question; who is he? When Antoinette, a girl who has just experienced the loss of somebody close, and has a knack for standing out- is just the person to help him out. With the help of his friends, old and new, protagonist Gavin Meeks discovers that there is more to a perfect life than being cool, and eventually discovers his true passio ...more
Sophie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was bland. Not very memorable in any way. Even the big events were anticlimactic because of the narrator’s voice and point of view. Honestly, I can understand that the point of the book was to show that high school isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things, and how the narrators voice could fit the story in that sense, but it really wasn’t that enjoyable and it took me an absurdly long amount of time to finish it because I never really got into it. I’m not saying it was a bad ...more
Cherie
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, ya
Reminiscient of Andrea Marr of Blake Nelson's "Girl," but def a much richer crowd here, the story of a typical suburban boy, a tennis star, popular, who begins to realize there is life beyond his high school. Inspired by a noncomformist classmate who doesn't care what others think, Gavin slowly begins to develop into himself as a unique individual in the most beautiful way. Fast-paced, conversational writing.
Ann Valdez
May 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too much of high school students weed smoking, drinking, and having sex with multiple partners for me to want this in the high school library. Last 1/3 of book was much better than the first 2/3.
A student read the ARC I had and liked it, and it will probably be popular with many students as it is good writing with a very likeable male protagonist.
Ally
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
decent story telling and character development, just not for me.
Gavin's character felt like the typical all american boy who could be bought with the typical currency of high school, girls and popularity. I am not into that very much so for most of the story I was annoyed. Then it got better as he makes some real friends and enjoys hanging out with them and developing his photography skills.

Sammi Headley
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
It's ok. The plot was boring but the transformation makes the story stand out. It's a read. You won't remember this book because;
It's boring.
None of the elements really stand out and the story becomes a blur because the story has this lost impact on the character.
Kat
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It kind of opened my mind up. It reminded me of how much I love photography. It also made me think how I have a stereotype for popular kids in school, and that I should keep my mind open to people.
Andrew
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
The author’s writing is so dry
Elizabeth Chorney-Booth
Clearly nothing Blake Nelson writes will ever resonate with me as much as Girl, but this was a pretty great piece of YA fiction.
Stacey Conrad
This "style" feels like I'm reading a high school kid's writing. And not the good kind. It is so much telling and not showing.
Kelly Sierra
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story just wasn't for me.
Haley McClain
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought it was an interesting and well-written book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • To Take A Dare
  • Ready, Okay!
  • A Mess of Everything
  • Torched
  • All Rivers Flow To The Sea
  • Jersey Angel
  • Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno: Tokyo Teen Fashion Subculture Handbook
  • Be Our Ghost (Merry Ghost Inn Mysteries, #3)
  • Losing the Girl (Life on Earth, #1)
  • Maizon at Blue Hill
  • Bringing up the Bones
  • The Double Life of Zoe Flynn
  • Girls of July
  • Wired Man and Other Freaks of Nature
  • Gringa: A Contradictory Girlhood
  • Happily and Madly
  • Down Time (I Hunt Killers, #0.1)
  • Cobra Slave (Cobra Rebellion #1)
Blake Nelson grew up in Portland, Oregon. He began his career writing short humor pieces for Details Magazine.

His first novel GIRL was originally serialized in SASSY magazine and was made into a film staring Selma Blaire and Portia De Rossi.

His novel PARANOID PARK won the prestigious International Grinzane Literary Award and was made into a film by Gus Van Sant.

His most recent Young Adult novel