Start by marking “Want” as Want to Read:

Want

From critically acclaimed author Cindy Pon comes an edge-of-your-seat sci-fi thriller, set in a near-future Taipei plagued by pollution, about a group of teens who risk everything to save their city.

Jason Zhou survives in a divided society where the elite use their wealth to buy longer lives. The rich wear special suits, protecting them from the pollution and viruses that
Expected publication: June 13th 2017 by Simon Pulse

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 13, 2017
    Enter for a chance to win an advance readers copy of Want!

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 1 copy available, 801 people requesting

Giveaway dates: May 16 - May 30, 2017

Countries available: US

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Want, please sign up.

Cindy hi! thanks for asking. i'm currently working on an unsold WANT sequel that my amazing editor has asked for. :) wish me luck!!
    Cindy taipei! first one pubbed that takes place in taipei that i am aware of. definitely the first YA sci-fi novel set there. :)

Cait • A Page with a View
    Apr 26, 2017 Cait • A Page with a View rated it really liked it
    Release date: June 13, 2017

You know how some books just read like a movie that you can see so clearly in your head? This NEEDS to be made into a movie. (And that doesn't mean this book isn't complete on its own in any way - just that it was that intense). It kind of felt like a futuristic dystopian heist story, yet was technically none of those things at the same time.

"I knew that the Taiwanese people's will was strong - that we endured. But we needed at least a fighting chance."

The story's se
    Ben Alderson
    Jan 19, 2017 Ben Alderson rated it really liked it
    Cindy Pon's Want is an incredible insight into a future rocked by pollution and corruption. Dripping in Diversity and delicious romance.
    A FANTASTIC SciFi novel.

YOU WILL 'WANT' THIS!
    ✨    jamieson   ✨
    okay guys, after the disappointment of Love Interest we can ALL GET ON BOARD WITH WANT NOW. It's gonna be fucking good okay guys I know it

ONLY FOUR MONTHS TO GO IM SO EXCITED

No but, for real I am so excited for this to come out. It's like, one of my MOST anticipated 2017 releases

This book sounds so fucking good. Like a future society in which large corporations may possibly be polluting the world for wealth (*cough* what do you mean future) and also the cover is literally so stunning save me I c
    Ameriie
    Cindy Pon's novels always make me hungry, both for the food and for sequels. This story is fast-paced, but not so much that its futuristic Taipei setting is sacrificed. I was fully immersed in the setting, and loved feeling as if this story couldn't have taken place anywhere else. I need more of this crafty crew. Sequel or companion novel pretty please?
    Eric Smith
    Oct 03, 2016 Eric Smith marked it as to-read
    Shelves: young-adult
    WANT.

Never has a title been more true.
    Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
    My very first book by Cindy Pon and Want is definitely one to look out for. You should all add it to your TBR. It's a SFF YA about a young Taiwanese boy named Zhou and his band of friends/misfits create this plan to take down this big bad guy and in order to do so Zhou needs to infiltrate this society he hates so much and befriend the daughter of the bad guy.

It's such an interesting theme and I love love the plot + storyline so very much. Cindy's writing, I believe, is my kind of writing. I thi
    Allison
    Mar 19, 2017 Allison rated it it was amazing
    I am going to go OFF ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS BOOK WHEN I HAVE TIME THIS WEEK.

Buy it buy it buy it.
    Keiko
    Apr 23, 2017 Keiko rated it it was amazing
    Kind of heist-y with Asians it was great
    Evie
    May 17, 2017 Evie rated it it was amazing
    We are all creatures of this earth, of this shared ecosystem.

Welcome to near-future Taipei, the world divided between yous (the ones who have) and meis (the ones who don't). The world, in which the air is so polluted and filled with viruses, the sky is no longer blue and people who can't afford luxurious and incredibly expensive suits designed and sold exclusively by a dirty international corporation based in Taipei.

This was what it meant to be a you, to have. To be genetically cultivated as a
    Janni
    Sep 19, 2016 Janni marked it as to-read
    So looking forward to this one!
    Gemma Foo
    Jan 04, 2017 Gemma Foo marked it as to-read
    Update: Jan 5, 2017
    Finally an ASIAN main character!! #ProudtoBeAsian
    Mia
    Apr 03, 2017 Mia rated it really liked it
    First off, I would love to thank Cindy and her lovely publicist for giving me an ARC to this! I honestly didn't expect to read this as soon as I have. It was everything I expected and more!!

Set in a futuristic Taiwan, society is heavily divided and the people are under polluted air inimical to their health. Jason Zhou and his group of friends work together to uncover the secrets behind the distinguished Jin Corporation known to manufacture suits that provide the rich (who can afford them) with c
    Aila
    Absolutely stunning.

Truth: I should be studying for a calculus and history exam tomorrow.
    Another truth: Instead, I read Want in one sitting, and it left me WANTING more.

Filled with relevant discussion on issues happening now, a diverse range of misfits who come together to fight against the system, and a forbidden-love romance that is as light as it is deceptive, Want is one of THE Young Adult science fiction stories of the year.

I absolutely adored all the cultural references as well! Scalli
    Shenwei
    Mar 11, 2017 Shenwei rated it it was amazing
    Saving up my review for later, but it will appear on my blog closer to the release date. :)
    Daisy
    Sep 19, 2016 Daisy marked it as to-read
    Shelves: releases-2017
    I'M SCREAMING
    Rachel Strolle
    Feb 24, 2017 Rachel Strolle rated it it was amazing
    The best future-set books are the ones that feel the most timely, and let me tell you--this fulfills that criteria. In a world where there is so much pollution that the wealthy live in specialized suits that keep them in their own little clean bubbles, and the poor just have to deal with it. At one point it even is like "WHY NOT JUST TRY TO KEEP THE WORLD CLEAN THO" and it's met with a "pshha" so it def feels realistic to now.
    Also I'm very in love with Daiyu, she is mine.
    Lexie
    May 15, 2017 Lexie rated it really liked it
    (Read as a buddy read with Samantha of Forest of Words and Pages)

First things first - THIS COVER THOUGH. I mean, I can't possibly love it more if I tried, but I'll try pretty damn hard to because THIS COVER THOUGH.

And can we talk about how awesome Daiyu is? Actually let me talk about how awesome she is, but beneath a cut since learning about some of her awesome actions could change your reading

(view spoiler)
    Kim Baccellia
    Feb 17, 2017 Kim Baccellia rated it it was amazing
    Jason Zhou lives in a futuristic society in Taipei, Taiwan, where pollution is everywhere. This affects not only the air but the food. The 'meis', or the people without money, die young while the 'yous', or the wealthy people, are able to benefit from their wealth. One way the yous benefit is by being able to afford special suits that protect them from the hazardous polluted air. When Zhou has a chance to infiltrate and destroy the international Jin Corporation, he goes for it. Not only does the ...more
    Elizabeth
    May 17, 2017 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
    Pon conjured a futuristic world where class divisions threaten the livelihood of more than half the population. Jason Zhou lives in Taipei, a city engulfed in pollution. His poor station in life and his meager upbringing shape him into an altruistic, down to earth person who desperately wants breathable air to be accessible for the mass of people suffering at the hand of a selfish corporation who does not care at all for the health of the poor. The deprivation of fresh air forces the poor to end ...more
    Cambear
    May 15, 2017 Cambear rated it it was amazing
    This is everything you want in a futuristic sci-fI thriller.

There lots of cool world-building with new technologies and a deep social divide. Despite the dire environment, this book is a love letter to Taipei and captures it's vibrancy, energy and, of course, the food.

There's a lot of heart in this story since Jason and his friends are motivated by tragedy and a need to fight for the underprivileged. There's a strong social message about caring for the environment and for fellow human beings.

Th
    Cherise
    May 17, 2017 Cherise rated it it was amazing
    I found it all in all exciting. I wasn't bored during the times Zhou was 'Jason'. When one thing fell, another thing picked up and you're too distracted to realize part of the plot was done and had moved to the next. The last 10% of this book I couldn't put down that I went to bed reading it and woke up and continued to read because I needed to know what happened after falling asleep reading it.

Not only does this book speak of environmental issues, which isn't an issue that is heavily relied on
    Sylvie Bower
    May 04, 2017 Sylvie Bower rated it it was amazing
    I absolutely loved how I came into this book expecting one thing, which I got, while also continuing to change as I read, becoming something entirely different, that I loved even more. Seriously, PICK THIS ONE UP. It's science-fiction written spectacularly, with loads of diversity, which is much needed in this genre. And!! Can we talk about the cover? SO FREAKING BEAUTIFUL. Needless to say, as soon as I'm done with my current stack of books, I'll be picking up more of Cindy Pon's work, as I LOVE ...more
    Ms. Yingling
    May 17, 2017 Ms. Yingling rated it liked it
    More for high school libraries because of language choices. Nicely done. Reminded me of mix of Meyer's Cinder, Price's Starters, and Aguirre's Enclave. Liked the role pollution played, liked the setting, just wasn't keen on language.
    Anna
    May 12, 2017 Anna rated it it was amazing
    4.5 stars!

Fast paced and action packed. I want this book to be optioned for a movie!
    Candace
    May 11, 2017 Candace rated it really liked it
    I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this at YALLWEST 2017. It's been a couple of days since I read this and I STILL can't stop thinking about it.

My favorite part about this? It's a sci-fi set in Asia, but it's not about being Asian, AND I LOVE IT. The characters are fun, the women are intelligent and independent thinkers, and it's just fun and interesting and important.

Pick this up when it's out on shelves.
    Anastasia Nichole
    Taken from my blog post THE 2017 BOOKS I’M EXCITED FOR:

FUTURISTIC CITIES. DIVERSE SCIENCE FICTION.

FUTURISTIC CITIES. SHADY CORPORATIONS. PRETTY COVER.

FUTURISTIC CITIES.

WANT NOW.

(See what I did there?)
    Carter Watson
    Carter Watson rated it it was amazing
    Apr 18, 2017
    Josephine  the Rereader
    Josephine the Rereader rated it really liked it
    May 24, 2017
    Alexandria  Ang
    Alexandria Ang rated it liked it
    May 23, 2017
    Cindy Pon is the author of Silver Phoenix (Greenwillow, 2009), which was named one of the Top Ten Fantasy and Science Fiction Books for Youth by the American Library Association's Booklist, and one of 2009′s best Fantasy, Science Fiction and Horror by VOYA. The sequel to Silver Phoenix, titled Fury of the Phoenix, was released in April 2011. Serpentine and Sacrifice, her second duology are out (Mo ...more
    More about Cindy Pon...