Start by marking “Moon Beam” as Want to Read:
Moon Beam

Moon Beam

(Bright Sparks #1)

Stay alive on the far side of the moon.

What happens when you get the one thing you wanted most in life? Lonely 16-year-old farm girl Barbara Winton has been following one reality show for years. Then in an instant she goes from fangirl to participant when the call comes from Dr. Keegan Bright: She’s been selected out of a horde of applicants to join him on the Moon.

She’ll
Published July 4th 2017 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Moon Beam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Beam

Katiria
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books

*** Review Moon Beam on Kati's Bookaholic Rambling Reviews ***

*** I received this book on edelweiss in exchanged for an honest review, thank you so much for Baen publishers for giving me the opportunity to read and review Moon Beam! ***

I thoroughly loved and enjoyed everything in Moon Beam it is a middle grade too young adult book, but it is absolutely great for kids too read this great book. Now Moon Beam is really, really sci-fi that I literally got conf
Margaret
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Six young people, the protégées of scientist turned reality broadcast star Dr. Keegan Bright, are the Bright Sparks. Can they set up a massive crater-built radio telescope on the far side of the moon? Will they survive a massive, deadly solar flare? What can the younger kids in the group do when a shuttle crash endangers the main moon base.
I loved this this book. While I’m fully aware that it represents many of the stereotypical flaws of traditional science fiction — chiefly a notable weakness i
Kevin Brown
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-ficition
I fell like this novelization for some '70's or '80's sci-fi disaster movie. Only done right with smarter more interesting characters. The younger characters feel like real people. While I never doubted at the very least the main character would survive I did at least feel that the rest of the team was in jeopardy. The narrative itself was very smooth and I got to the end of the book before I realized it. I have only one small niggling little nit to pick. Our main character is introduced as repl ...more
Sonja
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good yarn - genius kids on the moon!

I've long adored Jody Lynn Nye, but somehow hadn't heard about this book until a week ago. I got my hands on a copy immediately - a nice thing about DragonCon, you can hear about a book from one of the authors and get your hands on a copy in the same day! I absolutely devoured this, and immediately passed it off to my son for him to likewise devour. It's that good, that I can share it with my engineering-smarts son, and know that he'll enjoy it even mor
Bruce
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
From her family’s farm in Iowa to the moon, Barbara Winton’s fangirl dream has come true. She has been invited by Dr. Keegan Bright, scientist and television personality, to become one of his “Bright Stars.” She becomes one of the half-dozen teen science scholars to join him on his show broadcast from the moon. As the newest member of the team, she’s surprised when Bright appoints her as the leader of the latest project. She and three other Bright Stars are to begin construction of a radio teles ...more
Jen
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
** I read an advance reader copy of this book. **

Enjoyable middle grade to young adult (leaning more toward the younger side) science-fiction story. Decent world-building and character development but more description of the moon base and the moon itself would have been nice. The mission was interesting but felt a bit rushed at times and I would have preferred more details -- more show rather than tell. Still, all in all this is a decent adventure/sci-fi story for middle graders and young adults
Travis
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that this was a young adult title, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a narrative of how overcoming adversity (even if it isn't on earth) doesn't have to be a slog or cause major problems for others. All of the folks in the story did their jobs, everyone coped well with various issues, and the story flowed along quite nicely. Now only if real missions could be resolved so easily when it comes to manned missions, we'd all be in good shape. :)
Cisca Small
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing near future world. Definitely a shining example of both YA and urban science fiction. Don't let the YA fool you though, this book is just as enjoyable for adults.

The authors are creative with the story telling adding in social media elements and reality TV in addition to amazing production vaule and images into the book.
Sam
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to great juvenile

This was the best modern science and technology juvenile book in a goodly while. Somewhat realistic with good problem solving by the Bright Sparks team.
One could wish it were not fiction.
Michael
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Scifi Adventure

The first book in this series was a very fun read, combining some likeable characters, some geeky science and some exciting adventure on the far side of the moon.
dave carpender
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A juvie in the style of RAH. The science is as good you expect, Required word count I guess you don't

Need any other review, from me! Ridiculous! I make clear and concise comments aimed at an intelligent and knowledgeable reader.
Brandon
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good YA sci fi about smart kids, interesting and fairly real-world tech and danger on the moon. Romance kept to a very minimum. I hope the author intends to make this a series.
Robert Betts
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Think Space Camp in space. A really good science fiction tale, with emphasis on science. Likeable characters and good plotting. Young adult emphasis, but totally enjoyable for adults as well.
Robert Engle
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Suspension of disbelief didn't happen. In fact the disbelief just kept piling up, from social interaction to physical reality. Gave up in chapter 7.
Patricia Kaniasty
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent story. A little hard to follow at times because of all the tech. language. But I was able to overlook that because the story kept me turning the pages.
Bruce Teasley

• Angeleyes
  • Castaway Odyssey
  • Unforgettable
  • SuperMoon
  • The Facility  (The Breeder Files, #1)
  • Cross Fire (Exo #2)
  • ISAN
  • Beyond the Empire (The Indranan War, #3)
  • The Dark Intercept (The Dark Intercept, #1)
  • Witches Be Crazy: A Tale That Happened Once Upon a Time in the Middle of Nowhere
  • Reclaiming Shilo Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #2)
  • A Peace Divided (Peacekeeper, #2; Confederation, #7)
  • Starbound (Lightship Chronicles #2)
  • How To Marry a Rake
  • Cruel Fate (Cainsville, #5.6)
  • State Machine (Rachel Peng, #3)
  • Midsummer Eve At Rookery End
Travis Shane Taylor is a born and bred southerner and resides just outside Huntsville, Alabama. He has a Doctorate in Optical Science and Engineering, a Master’s degree in Physics, a Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, all from the University of Alabama in Huntsville; a Master’s degree in Astronomy from the Univ. of Western Sydney, and a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from Aubur ...more

Bright Sparks (2 books)
  • Moon Tracks (Moon Beam, #2)