Start by marking “Goldie Vance Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Goldie Vance Vol. 2

Goldie Vance Vol. 2

(Goldie Vance #5-8)

Nancy who? Goldie Vance is on the case! The adventures of the teen sleuth continue in this second volume of the hit comic book series.

The adventures of Goldie Vance, teen super sleuth, continue in the second volume of this hit comic adventure. Collects issues #5-8 of the series.

Sixteen-year-old Marigold “Goldie” Vance lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the
Published May 9th 2017 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Goldie Vance Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldie Vance Vol. 2

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Still mega cute. Still obsessed. YES.
Skye Kilaen
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't understand why this series isn't getting more attention. Diverse, fun, perfect for kids and adolescents, enjoyable art. I read it myself as light entertainment! The Lumberjanes girl-power queer-power crowd should be all over this.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I'm really enjoying the 60s setting and mystery vibes from Goldie Vance! The mysteries encountered so far have been excitingly, thrilling with great illustrations. Again, perfect for fans of Nancy Drew. It was easy to read with action straight away, I'm a fan for sure!
David Schaafsma
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Updated tween Nancy Drew for the new century, though there's still a kind of Betty and Veronica innocence to it all. Goldie is a wannabe detective, and she gets the opportunity to hone her skills. This series will be popular with (especially) girls; it has fluffy, goofy effervescence to the story, characterization and art that is pretty appealing.

In this volume Goldie and her best friend Cheryl encounter a female astronaut with amnesia knocked out on the hotel's beach. Thus, the mystery that foc
Kate (GirlReading)
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is such a joy and volume two was just as good (if not slightly better?) as the first! I’m loving these characters so much, the art style is gorgeous and the plots are easy to read, addictive and heaps of fun. I also officially want to take all and any future style advice from Dianne and borrow a little of Goldie’s gutsy attitude.
Chad
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
A modern day Nancy Drew (still set in the 60's though). Perfect for tween girls and fans of Lumberjanes. This one also contains astronauts and deep sea divers. I dig the simplistic art and vibrant colors.
Devann
This was another cute volume for this series. I love the style and the characters but overall I think it might just be a bit TOO cute for me [I know I know, but it does happen occasionally]. I think it's probably a good book for younger teens but the whole setup and the plots are definitely pretty simplistic so it ends up just being okay for me.
Alice
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads, lgbtq, comics
Volume 1: ★★★★★
volume 2: ★★★★★

I never thought I could love a comic book series this much but here we are. Goldie Vance is such a joy to read. That being more because of the characters or the story it's impossible to say. An energetic and witty 16 year old trying to solve mysteries, with the help of her friends and girlfriend... How can you not love it? The sixties setting creates such a fun atmosphere and is perfect for the book. The focus on friendship as well as passion is what made this volum
Chessa
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love this comic. Goldie is such a fantastic (and flawed) teen sleuth. My only quibble with this volume is not enough Diana. But I did like how this arc focused on her friendship with Cheryl, that we got to spend more time with her awesome mom, and I was actually glad we spent most of the time out of the hotel.
Erica
So, this episode lets the reader know that we're in 1963.
I think I kind of hoped this was an alt-universe thing but it's not. It's 1963 Florida.

I wasn't nearly so charmed by this volume as I had been the first. The art is far more rushed-looking and not so expressive. Some of it was downright wonky.
And the story.
We've got this in our young adult section but it's totally suitable for 10- to 12-year-olds.

This installment has an astronaut washing up on shore but inside the suit is a teenage beauty
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I was a little worried that after the magic of volume one, this volume would simply disappoint me. But don't worry; Goldie Vance volume two is just as cute and heartfelt. In fact, I think I may have enjoyed it more.

This one is marginally better than volume one in terms of having a coherent plot. While the plot of volume two is no more believable than that of volume one, I had issues with the odd pacing of volume one. This book, however, keeps a faster pace throughout without abrupt transitions.
Diz
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I felt that this was a lot weaker than the first volume. First of all, it seems that the art is not as good. There seem to be a lot of unpolished panels, so it feels like the art was rushed. Second, at the end of the first volume it was hinted that Goldie Vance would get involved in Cold War space race capers, but the story in this volume is on a much smaller scale, so it's a bit disappointing.
Molly
I still find Goldie Vance utterly charming, but the plot of this second volume just didn't hold my interest the same way the first one did.
Roz
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novel
Still entertaining, though I liked the first volume a bit better.
Melania 🍒
2,5/5
Shannon
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, graphic-novels
I really enjoyed the story and the illustrations were again stunning! However, I didn't feel like it was outstanding and some events were slightly confusing.
Samantha
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just want to give this series a big hug.
Kirstine
God, I love this series so much.
Cat
"Goldie, you're great at fixing things. But sometimes I think you fix them so you don't have to think about how they got broken."

Volume 1 by Hope Larson, Brittney Williams and Sarah Stern
Volume 2 by Hope Larson, Brittney Williams and Sarah Stern
Volume 3 by Hope Larson, Jackie Ball, Noah Hayes and Sarah Stern
Volume 4 by Hope Larson, Jackie Ball, Elle Power and Sarah Stern

Goldie & co continue to be adorable. This time, Goldie and Cheryl discover a girl in a space suit washed up on the beach, b
Alexa
This was another cool volume. The art style and the characters are still great, and I loved how a lot of this focused on Goldie's relationship with her best friend, and how you sometimes need to put yourself in the other person's shoes, etc. I also like that astronauts and mermaids are recurring elements. Still, I felt like they skipped over some stuff I would have loved to see (the first date between Goldie and her girlfriend, Goldie getting her job back).

(Can you tell I'm horrible with names?
Josephine (biblioseph)
Aso very cute. Continues the drama and mysteries of the first one, but we didn't see the racer girl in this one I guess the friendship between Cher and Goldie was more important, and I think I agree.
Cande
🏎Goldie Vance is amazing and I adore her. She is kind, a softie, so loyal and smart.
🏎The story is set in Florida in 1960s with a biracial queer MC, who has a supportive and loving family
🏎The plot is all about Goldie and Cheryl's friendship
🏎I adore this story with a detective, car racer MC, her supportive LI and her future-astronaut best friend. SO GOOD.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first volume was an introduction that pulled us in for the characters, setting, and the way the creators play with the genre. This volume keeps us interesting by giving us more info about the characters while also addressing a new mystery subplot in a new way. I'm hooked!
Vanessa (splitreads)
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5. I love Goldie and I love her mystery adventures! In this volume we get to see more of the friendship between her and Cheryl, we get to know Goldie's mom (!), and this plot was actually more entertaining and better paced than volume 1 in my opinion. More people should pick up this series.
Erin
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cool of Hope Larson to take a series that's already 1000% my aesthetic and add a NASA plot device.
Dolly
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is Volume 2 (comprising comic book issues #5-8), telling a very odd story, set in 1962 Florida, about a woman who washed ashore wearing a spacesuit (but, as Goldie's friend Cheryl notes, not one of the Mercury IV suits from NASA). Goldie and Cheryl end up in a fight, and Goldie learns more about both Cheryl and herself as well as about being a good friend.

The story is quite far-fetched, but it's a fun, fast read and I love the numerous strong female characters represented throughout the bo
Maggie Gordon
Goldie Vance continues to be a wonderful all-ages comics with great characters, tight writing, and adorable artwork. I'm not quite as fond of this second installment as the first, but it's still an interesting mystery for young and old alike. In this one, Goldie and Cheryl are training to be astronauts (well, Cheryl is), but Goldie's boisterous and extroverted behaviour makes Cheryl feel like her dreams are out of reach. The two of a bit of a falling out right as they are dealing with the discov ...more
ChrisVigilante
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Seeing a main character of color who is smart and resourceful trying her hand at being a detective and helping people is really fantastic. At first, I wasn't sure on the plot of this volume. A lot more was going on with the first mystery but this one ended up affecting Goldie a little more personally. I also think there are some odd plot points at times but I just roll with it. Loved seeing Goldie interact with her mom in this. We also learn more about Cheryl and see more of Diane. Love both of ...more
Barbara
Man, I wish these comics had existed when I was a kid. As someone who devoured Nancy Drew books as a pre-teen, having a teen detective story that centered characters of color (and queer characters of color) would have been great. Throw in a focus on female friendships, and the fact that being overtly, stereotypically feminine is fully compatible with being an intelligent, STEM focused person, and it's pretty much every kind of my catnip possible.
Alexis Sara
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goldie Vance Vol 2 continues the fun of the first volume. We get some more time with Goldie's mom. her girlfriend and deeper look at Cheryl. It's a very wonderfully drawn and colored book with a very fun cast. If your looking for a fun inclusive book I think this is a really solid series to jump into. I don't think you really need to have read volume one to read this so if Vol 2 just happens to be on sale but vol 1 isn't then go ahead and get this first.
Hope Larson is an American illustrator and comics artist. Hope Larson is the author of Salamander Dream, Gray Horses, Chiggers, and Mercury. She won a 2007 Eisner Award. She lives in Los Angeles, California.

Goldie Vance (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Goldie Vance #1 (Goldie Vance, #1)
  • Goldie Vance #2 (Goldie Vance, #2)
  • Goldie Vance #3 (Goldie Vance, #3)
  • Goldie Vance #4 (Goldie Vance, #4)
  • Goldie Vance #5 (Goldie Vance, #5)
  • Goldie Vance #6
  • Goldie Vance #7
  • Goldie Vance #8 (Goldie Vance, #8)
  • Goldie Vance #9 (Goldie Vance, #9)
  • Goldie Vance #10 (Goldie Vance, #10)