Start by marking “Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)” as Want to Read:
Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)

Giant Days, Vol. 5

(Giant Days (Single Issues) #17-20)

Going off to university is always a time of change and growth, but for Esther, Susan, and Daisy, things are about to get a little weird.

Their freshman year is finally coming to a close and Daisy, Susan, and Esther say goodbye to Catterick Hall forever. Literally forever. It’s being bulldozed and re-purposed as a luxury dorm next semester. But as one door closes, another op
Published June 20th 2017 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about Giant Days, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giant Days, Vol. 5

Start your review of Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
karen
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

i disagree, esther...

volume 5 was a little uneven for me. there were definite high points

but the term paper fiasco went on too long - no one needed that to straddle two issues, and daisy’s archaeology dig was a tedious diversion that didn’t contribute anything to the larger story and then it just … ended abruptly and suddenly she was back with her gal pals with no “lesson learned” or “anecdote shared,” or anything at all. the last story ended the same way - on a low-energy fizzle that must have
Nat
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I was in a really foul mood today and was more than ready for it to change, when I decided to read the latest volume of Giant Days, and lo and behold it worked like magic.

Giant Days Vol. 5 2-- bookspoils
Freshman year is finally coming to a close and Daisy, Susan, and Esther say goodbye to Catterick Hall forever. Literally forever. It’s being bulldozed and re-purposed as a luxury dorm next semester. But as one door closes, another opens and between end of semester hookups, music festivals, and moving into their first home t
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer
This was great but also I need more McGraw in my life thank you
Sam Quixote
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-comics-2017
As their first year at university ends, the girls prepare for summer. Daisy goes on an archaeological dig and encounters a mean professor, Esther and Ed take a job from Dean Thompson that seems too good to be true (and of course is), and Susan’s still not over McGraw. They reunite for an extremely muddy music festival before moving into their new place ready for the second year - if only their furniture weren’t held together by glue!

Giant Days is still the jizz. It’s amazing how much John Allis
Calista
This series is so much fun. I enjoyed this one very much. The girls first year came to an end and summer break. They got jobs and then ... Music Festival. That was hilarious. Rain and mud and funny times. Then they have to set up their new apartment. It's all those things you learn to do when you are growing up.

This series is really growing on me. I look forward to reading more of this. It's good fluff.
Dannii Elle
Our three fledgling university students are growing up, attending music festivals together, renting their first home, and completing their first years of higher education. I have enjoyed every volume but found the previous one my least favourite, as the issues combined seemed to cover disparate topics. I was pleased to find this a far more cohesive read, and just as drama-filled.
Dave Schaafsma
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Happy happy happy, as university year one ends for roomies Susan, Daisy and Esther. Ed and Esther figure out a way to make money from his roommate Dean Thompson, rewriting plagiarized term papers. Such a good idea. . .. wait! This whole madcap story is terrific, complete with a visit to a pretty lawyer for advice, but pretty funny is the norm in this series, as everyone cracks jokes, and they are mostly good ones.

Susan is still sad about McGraw, especially as she sees his new Spanish girlfriend
Paul E. Morph
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful volume of Giant Days has come to an end.

Why five stars? Well, my friends, it's like this: I was feeling really rather arsed off with life, suffering from a nasty cellulitis infection with accompanying fever and nausea, the pending results of my bone density scan and MRI scan weighing heavily on my soul. Surely all but the most arseholish of arseholes would grant that this is enough to put a frown on most anybody's visage.

BUT THEN!

Then I read this little book and the exploits o
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Vol. 7: ★★★★★
Vol. 8: ★★★★★
Vol. 9: ★★★★★
Vol. 10: ★★★★★

It always feels so good to get back into Giant Days with another volume, but OHMYGOD if a certain someone doesn't get back together with a certain someone else soon I'm going to spontaneously combust. 😭
rachel ☾
#11) Giant Days, Vol. 11 ★★★★☆
#12) Giant Days, Vol. 12 ★★★★★
#13) Giant Days, Vol. 13 ★★★★☆
#14) Giant Days, Vol. 14 ★★★★☆

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler).
Lauren
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mwahahahaha! How I love Giant Days! My God, this series is brilliant and always knows how to put a smile on my face.

This volume follows Esther, Susan and Daisy as they move out of their student lodgings after completing the first year of uni. There are lots of hilarious happenings along the way (namely Esther and Ed hiring a cheap lawyer to get them out of a less than ideal situation, madcap mayhem at a particularly muddy festival and a fum outing at Ikea).

There's also a little chemistry betwe
Daniel
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The art was great as ever but the story... somehow it lacks the uniqueness pf the first couple of chapters. The freshness. The unexpectedness.

It's still fun so i'll continue reading it, but i'm a bit disappointed.
Emma
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another cute installment of this wonderful comic book series! It was nice to see the girls say goodbye to their first year and start their life in the home they now share, I cannot wait to see what adventures this new house brings, but knowing these characters they will probably be a lot of fun! Also, it was very nice to see their friendship at the music festival, outside of the university setting, I hope the next volumes are going to include more of that.
Ivan
Bit of letdown.Still fun but not really as fun as rest of the series.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I loved the IKEA issue!
Ashley Daviau
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is by far my favourite volume out of the series yet! Mind you, I’m probably going to say this about every single volume in this series if it continues being this great. I just love these characters so much and they really bring me back to my college days and all the uncertainty you constantly feel. And the part with the festival is just too damn perfect, it made me reminisce about my times at festivals. It’s definitely the funniest one by far, I actually laughed out loud multiple times and ...more
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
If you haven't read Giant Days yet, you're doing comics wrong. ...more
Maggie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic_novel, scribd
My favorite character right now is Susan.
I love Daisy and Esther too.
This graphic novel has me hooked. Love the art, the story, and characters.
Melissa Chung
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52-in-2018
As you can see this is volume 5. I don't want to give much away since this is an ongoing series. However, it's not like a plot driven storyline where there is a point to reach at the end. It's more of a sitcom about 3 girls in college. I thought the girls had already reached their second year in volume's 3 and 4, but I was wrong. Halfway through Vol. 5 that finished off their first year of college and got summer jobs. Then end of the volume is the girls coming back together after summer in a new ...more
Jack Stark
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm quickly falling in love with these comics. Sometimes I want deep, meaningful, social commentary from my books. And sometimes I just want a bit of silly fun. These comics fill the latter need. Nerdy whimsical shenanigans that I laugh at a lot, with no sign of slowing down or compromising on quality. ...more
Ashley
Okay, first, I love this series. I love the characters. I love the university setting. I love how weird it is.

But as a whole, this wasn't a super great trade paperback. It covers several events that don't really form a cohesive story arc, even if the individual components were highly amusing. This volume is basically split into three: the end of their first year at university, an incident over their summer break where the girls attend a music festival, and the beginning of their second year.

As
Wing Kee
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
So good!

World: The art has always been good for the series, it's beautiful, simple and emotive. The characters display so much emotion and bring the every day slice of life story to life. The world building is simple and serves the story, we have a music festival, college living and Ikea it's simple but fun.

Story: The stories here are hilarious and fun, they are beautiful little slice of life stories that ooze character and that's pretty much what Giant Days is. This is the issue where it ends t
Paz R.M.
Giant Days is my happy place!

The girls are finally done with their first year at Sheffield, but the end of school year doesn't happen without its problems: heartbreak, a grumpy professor and plagiarism? It really doesn't matter what messes the girls get into, with a bit of humour and friendship they find the solution.

The last two issues, about a music festival and building ikea furniture were great and funny too. Been there, done that.
I do love how even when Esther, Daisy and Susan are
Stewart Tame
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is something of an interim volume. We're between first and second year at university, though, so that's to be expected.

It takes a great deal to do it, but do not get Daisy angry. Ever.

High points for me this time around were probably the music festival and the move-in issue, complete with Daisy, Esther, and Susan shopping at Ikea. Particularly love the cover for this one. Highly recommended!
ashley
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection was a little hit and miss for me. Still hilarious, but not QUITE as amazing as the previous 4. However, this series is amazing and I will without a doubt pick up the rest!
Sara
Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this series, the characters are great and the friendship between them is even better!
Sylwia
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite in the series so far! I laughed so much! So many quotable moments! So many times I stopped to show a panel to the person sitting next to me! I love this series!
Greyson | Use Your Words
Giant Days: Extra Credit: TBR
Giant Days, Vol. 7: TBR
Giant Days Vol. 8: TBR
Giant Days, Vol. 9: TBR

I am still 100% enjoying this series!

I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as possible to take advantage of my great local library netwo
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Deciding between 3 and 3.5 stars. This definitely wasn't my favorite volume, largely because this is a transitional volume with four stand alone issues rather than an overall story arc. That being said, there were moments that I really enjoyed and I still love these characters. Can't wait to see what shenanigans they get up to in their second year! ...more
Vanessa
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm sad to say that this volume of Giant Days just didn't live up to the standard set by the previous four volumes for me. Don't get me wrong, I still liked this volume and I found something to like in each of the issues within it, but the usual spark that I get with this series and these characters just wasn't there. I'm not sure if that's to do with the fact that most of this volume wasn't set on campus, or if maybe it was just the storylines being less fun/interesting than ones from previous ...more

• Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time (Lumberjanes, Vol. 4)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together (Lumberjanes, Vol. 5)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 3: A Terrible Plan (Lumberjanes, Vol. 3)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 7: A Bird's-Eye View (Lumberjanes, Vol. 7)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • Goldie Vance, Vol. 3
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 8: Stone Cold (Lumberjanes, Vol. 8)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Misfit City Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max (Lumberjanes, Vol. 2)
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 2: The Show Must Go On
  • Goldie Vance: Larceny in La La Land
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 13: Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1: Riot on the Radio
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 4
John Allison is the author and artist of the British webcomics Scary Go Round and Bad Machinery.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Giant Days (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Giant Days #1
  • Giant Days #9
  • Giant days #10
  • Giant Days #11

News & Interviews

“Arrgh, my dad's here to pick me up. How can he be so insensitive to intrigue?” 1 likes