Start by marking “Tremulous Hinge” as Want to Read:
Tremulous Hinge

Tremulous Hinge

Rain intermits, bus windows steam up, loved ones suffer from dementia—in the constantly shifting, metaphoric world of Tremulous Hinge, figures struggle to remain standing and speaking against forces of gravity, time, and language. In these visually porous poems, boundaries waver and reconfigure along the rumbling shoreline of Rockaway or during the intermediary hours that ...more
Published April 15th 2017 by University Of Iowa Press

To ask other readers questions about Tremulous Hinge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tremulous Hinge

Pouting Always
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not quite sure how to review poetry because it's such a personal thing, especially for me the experience is much more emotional so I'm not really sure how to put into word what it was that I enjoyed about this collection of poetry. There was a lot of amazing imagery in the poems which is something I really enjoy in poetry because imagery can capture a feeling and create a certain tone really well, much more than explicitly trying to describe an experience. The cadence of the words, at least ...more
Hirdesh
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
Thanks for Netgalley and respective publisher.

It was quite touchy and simple poetry.
However, some phrases shows the real depth of the poetry and respective theme.
I've enjoyed throughout the whole book with its contented piece of words and sparkling of emotions in almost all phrases.
Some poems were extremely compelling, I had lost completely though they had shown my own emotions of past.

Few Great Lines-

* ""in the fog of forgetfulness they forgot fullness of fog""

* "The light isn;t only lit. The
Joseph
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Tremulous Hinge by Adam Giannelli is the winner of the 2016 Iowa Poetry Prize. Giannelli's poems have appeared in the Kenyon Review, New England Review, Ploughshares, FIELD, Yale Review, and elsewhere. He lives in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Tremulous Hinge opens strong with the poem that sets the stage for the rest of the collection -- "Stutter." The poet recites all the things he couldn't say and in that mix comes:

since I can’t say everlasting
I say every
lost thing

He says other things for what he

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I'm not quite sure what to call the spate of poetry flooding in that basically consists of typing diary entries and adding spaces after each "sentence." I've seen it called Tumblr poetry and prose poetry. Regardless of what you want to call it, or whether or not you agree with the nature of its being in vogue, I do not like this style, and for a while it seriously had me questioning whether I even liked modern poetry at all. Well, after rea
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Carried by the current of change that we all must follow; Adam Giannelli navigates the uncertainty of time and place even as he (we) try to find rest with others in a place we can call our own.
Maureen
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book of poetry was lovely. I adore the integration of nature, the environment, and the frequent appearance of the moon. I feel this work pulls the reader into the author's world filled with flora and fauna. Simply a great read to remind us of relationships and what the seasons have to offer.
Ken
Giannelli is an Iowa Poetry award-winner who's still plying the nature trade a la Frost. In this day and age, that's actually unusual among poets. Poetry magazines these days want more realpolitik, voices of minorities, Horton hears #metoo. And so, reading these often rich pieces (in some cases, too much so, like the heavy scent of lilacs) is a bit of an old-fashioned jolt.

Me, I like both the new and the old tendencies, but if you feel like you're getting too much of one or the other, this colle
Golden Girl
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poems! Beautiful cover! The book drew me in with the genuineness of the first poem, "Stutter." The poetry continued to hold me with the poems that followed, including "Hydrangea," "My Insomnia," "Star Gazers," and "The Phone Call." Wonderful book of poems!
Mike
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary. Insightful. Touching. Poignant. Outstanding first effort by an up-and-coming talent.
Paddy
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Many of the poems are moving. Others are thought-provoking.
Ryann Crofoot
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, poetry
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
**See more reviews and bookish fun at Ryann the Reader

The short version: This was an amazing collection of poetry! While there was a poem or two that kind of threw me off, it's no surprise that Giannelli's collection won the Iowa Poetry Prize.

The long version: The very first poem of Adam Giannelli's collection was enough to draw me in to Tremulous Hinge. The entire collection portrays a sense of longing, though for wh
Tiffany Morris
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, poetry
The poems of Tremulous Hinge are delightful in their play with theme and form; poet Adam Giannelli has a clear love of language and continuously utilizes it in an interesting way. Words become their own preoccupation in the text, being elaborated upon, challenged, and measured against each other in a manner both artful and thoughtful (which is to say that it never becomes too heavy-handed and meta-referential). This play with form is most apparent on a sentence-by-sentence basis, as Giannelli's ...more
Beatrix
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017, poetry
The eyes are not doors.
They are small containers.
They cannot hold the moon,
but they hold its flare.
They cannot hold the departed, but they hold their names --
Dom, Julius, Caroline.

Sometimes, you just need some poetry. To remind you why you love reading so much.
I enjoyed this, this was just what I needed.

I walk with the crowd, past lucid curtains and the passions of laundromats. Alone so long, I am everyone.

Words. In poetry there can be no redundant words, every word has its particular pu
Amanda
"I never knew ecstasy could arrive at so many angles.'

This line perfectly encompassed my feelings as I fell through the words of Adam Giannelli, the winner of the Iowa Poetry Prize, in his new volume, Tremulous Hinge. I feel so many times as though I turned translucent and the words flowed through me naming me a million times. The author clearly bears a love for all English language and very much loves baring the sins and glories of such in every way that he can.

The images evoked by the words
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A couple excellent poems in here—I loved “Stutter” in particular. I was slightly disappointed that the collection didn’t stay with this focus more explicitly, but that’s a personal preference, not the fault of the author!
Meghan
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
(or wherein I once again prove that the parts of poetry which intrigue me may not be what I am supposed to be talking about)

You know what I really appreciated about Tremulous Hinge: the layout of some of the poems. Like the indentation. Seriously. Or there'd be a thin poem, maybe only eight or nine spaces worth of letters on each line. Then each verse would be only lines long and it would be these little rectangles like a path down the page.

I can hear one of my high school English teacher's sarc
Natalie Homer
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Tremulous Hinge was wonderfully refreshing for me. These poems are accessible and unassuming, but also elegant—almost feminine. It’s the kind of book you can read quickly in one gulp, but at the same time, you’ll want to linger on each poem and let its nuances unfold with every additional reading.
Amanda Moore
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meticulous attention to language. Some really lovely moments.
Lisa Rector
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Favorite poems - Stutter, Star Gazers, My Insomnia, What We Know, The Shards Still Trembling, and Clearing, Clear.
Chin-Sun Lee
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable collection. I found these poems full of wistfulness, wonderment, and enormous empathy. So many good ones, but some particular loves: 'How the Light Is Spent,' 'Reflections,' and the parting comfort of 'The Opposite of Sugar.'
M- S__
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for feedback and review.

This collection starts out really strong. Gianelli injects interesting questions and meaning into some of these poems. Stutter is easily the best poem of the book and shows off this singular and unique voice that you don't really hear in much of the rest of the collection. I've come back to that poem a couple times since I got the book, but I think the collection as a whole is sadly a little forgettable. There are a few t
Tanner
Aug 25, 2017
Alleliah
Apr 12, 2018
Flower Conroy
Aug 26, 2018
Anika Argyle
I heard Adam Giannelli read his work and knew instantly that he was a poet I needed to read more of. He spins words together in fascinating and colorful arrangement; like beads on a string, his words, rich and savory on their own, coalesce into lines and stanzas of tangible images and scenes and people, their lives tinted by the poetic lens. Giannelli excels in imbuing his lines and overall poems with a sense of fluidity and belonging. John Keats once wrote “That if Poetry comes not as naturally ...more
Annie