Start by marking “Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Gemina (The Illuminae Files, #2)

Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2)

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  29,792 Ratings  ·  7,207 Reviews
A New York Times Bestseller

Brace yourself for GEMINA—the highly anticipated sequel to the book critics called “out-of-this-world awesome”—featuring journal illustrations by bestselling author Marie Lu!

Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.

The sci-fi saga that
Published October 18th 2016 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gemina, please sign up.
Ryan They still play a part. I'm 100 pages in and I can tell you that this story happens at the same time as Illuminae. This is what is happing at the Jump…moreThey still play a part. I'm 100 pages in and I can tell you that this story happens at the same time as Illuminae. This is what is happing at the Jump Station Hemidall. You do get to meet the parents though. I'm sure Kady and Evan will show up before the end though.(less)

Jay Kristoff
Dec 21, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Until I find time to make a gif review (wtb Jay clone pst), here's a GEMINA FAQ:

Is GEMINA a sequel or companion novel to ILLUMINAE?

Both. Chronologically, it picks up about 5 minutes after ILLUMINAE ends. The book continues the story of the invasion of Kerenza IV, and many of the important questions asked in ILL are answered in ILL2, ie “The Hypatia was sending distress calls all through Illuminae, why did help never arrive?” and “Can there possibly be a dude in the universe hotter than Ezra Maso
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
They've done it again. Threw my emotions onto a roller coaster ride into space and through wormholes and just every which way.
It was kind of exhausting reading this, but in such a good way. Man. Oh man <3

*EDIT*
Third time reading this I listened to the audiobook. If you have the opportunity to experience it on audio (even both audio & physically read) I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU DO IT. With a cast of characters and sound effects, the listening experience is EPIC.
The story is also pretty epic, t
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
THIS WAS GREAT. So many aspects of this book BLEW MY MIND. I'm so curious to find out how this story is going to come to a close in the last book!

More thoughts here: https://youtu.be/GmfyLOk3-_I?t=2m17s
Christine Riccio
I LOVED THIS ONE. LISTEN TO THE AUDIO BOOK. HERE'S MY FULL BOOKTALK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyapO...
Kat O'Keeffe
THIS SERIES IS SO COOL. I love the setting, the characters, the story, and especially the format! Piecing together the story through these "hacked" documents and messages just makes for an AWESOME reading experience, and I cannot wait for book 3!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Re read on Audio before Obsidio gets here soon!!! The audio was fanfreakingtastic! ❤

Sometimes I re-read my reviews & they are moronic!

I wanted to do this big thing. I immediately took the cover off to see what the hardback looked like and loved it. I even painted my nails blue to go with the book and I had on blue lipstick but you could still see my stupid fever blister. . . so. . . the kiss I was going to blow, just No. So the lipstick I put beside the book. Everything is so beautiful blue!
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Re-read: February 12th 2018

Gemina was one of the best things that happened to me in 2016! I can't even tell you how crazy good this baby was. If you didn't care about Illuminae much, i still highly suggest giving this a go.

Can we all just appreciate how magnificently beautiful AIDAN is!?! Let me sit here and swoon a little.

I am aware this quote is from the first book, but i just can't deal with how great it is. Possibly the most favorite quote of all times! I was overjoyed when his chapters st
Chelsea Humphrey
But why is it over? Why must we wait for so long until the next one?

I'll be honest, I loved Illuminae & was skeptical of all the hype saying Gemina was better, but after finishing this I almost want to go back and adjust my Illuminae rating to a 4 and keep this at a 5. It was just an entire star better.

All my thoughts are muddled so I'll try to come back and give this a proper review when things settle down, but just know I loved this. So many feels. 💙
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Illuminae but it still was really enjoyable! I'll go more into depth in a video review soon!
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

NO SPOILERS BELOW
Gemina was one hell of a ride! It was great but I must admit, not as great as Illuminae for sure. BUT... it was still mindblowing nonetheless. I will write a full review once we get closer to release day but I've included a few pros and cons down below.

PROS:
1. BAD ASS NEW CHARACTERS: Hesistant about Gemina focusing on a new set of characters? Don't be!
2. PLOT: This book will leave you mind-freakin-blown!
3. FORMAT: If you made it through Illuminae, you already got used to the f
☽Luna☾
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
< review loading >

< error >

< error >

< review now fully loaded >

4.5/5

BR with this Chum

"It may comfort you to know that your death, while astonishingly violent, will likely be mercifully swift."

description
^^ accurate picture of my face when the action started.

Okay so let me start by saying this book was awesome. I enjoyed reading it so much. I feel like this book should be illegal it's that good. The plot was fast paced and full of twists. This book is FUCKING EXCITING? I fe
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Surveillance footage summary,
prepared by
Analyst ID 8759-6294-DN

Subject has decided, against our better judgement I might add, to continue reading The Illuminae Files and so here I am again writing up ANOTHER summary. We were forced to move the subject to a room with concrete walls & a minimal amount of breakable objects - though I must admit her attempt to chop the bed frame in half with her bare hand was admirable. I imagine that particular action was inspired by the physical prowess of one
Emma Giordano
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A solid four stars! I felt this was a great sequel. I listened to it on audiobook and I would HIGHLY recommend! (if you're afraid of missing out on all the beautiful artwork, its easy to listen and flip through the images when you can) I don't think I missed out on anything despite it being such a visual story; The production of the audiobook is the best I think I've ever heard. The new characters/perspective were really interesting and it was natural to ease into their story. Hannah and Nick ar ...more
karen
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best YA fantasy & science fiction category 2016!

i read this last week when i was sick in bed the day after halloween, needing a guaranteed fast, fun, escapist book to breeze through while huddled under the covers with a giant pot of halloween candy in easy reach.

photo IMG_7739_zpssduivsie.jpg

best sick day ever.

this book may be even better than Illuminae, even though it is similar in many ways.

the same beautiful design and layout is back:

photo d3c1ea43-0f95-4fa2-ae14-554ef3bad59f_zpsuhudtxsl.jpg

photo IMG_7926_zpswcybbzvq.jpg

photo IMG_7925_zps37pkw556.jpg

and this time there are some fun ca
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
4.5 Stars

ahhh!! I still love it!! RTC

---------------

Yes, I am reading this again.

Third time and I feel no shame. These books are so much fun??

First-buddy read with the lovely maybelline
C.G. Drews
Hello my name is DEAD WITH THE AWESOME OF THIS FANTASTIC NOVEL. It's a long name but one I feel is necessary because omggggg so so so so so good. SO GOOD!! SO SO very very good. And obviously it was going to be because of the glorious gift to this universe that is Illuminae. Although I will admit I like Illuminae best still. Way more AIDAN there who is obviously my favourite thing in the universe and whom I will love until the sun ne'er rises again.

Anyway. This book = a perfect sequel. It has ev
❄️Nani❄️
2.5⭐

What was going through my head while I was reading this?

✨ I could get used to this thrill ride. Lightning struck twice.
✨ I hate these characters. Every last one of them.
✨ I miss the Illuminae gang. Every last one of them.

So, here's the thing, I didn’t have the highest of hopes going into Gemina and that's not exactly how I usually start books. Granted, that's not how most people start books either but because these books are deeply character-driven novels, I knew from the reviews I'd read
Ashley Nuckles
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread March 2018 on audiobook. IT WAS EVEN BETTER THE SECOND TIME I JUST CANT

If I could give this book 10 stars I wouldn't hesitate; hell, even a million stars wouldn't do it justice.

GEMINA. WAS. AMAZING.

The plot around Heimdall Station: SUSPENSEFUL
The new characters, Hanna & Nik: KICK ASS
The return of beloved characters: PERFECT
The introduction of new, crazy points in the story: MIND BLOWING
The storytelling format: GETS BETTER WITH EVERY BOOK

Literally everything in Gemina was brillia
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

„War does not determine who is right
- only who is left.“

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Did you ever think about the theory that our reality exist of many universes?
That maybe, in another universe, you’re not a reader (😱) but a gamer or something else.
There’s another version of you, or two or three.
I need to say, that I’m probably not that smart that I could actually explain you this theory, but in this book this theory is called Gemina.
(Like the freakin book.)
Beitech did some real sh*t on Karenza (we can all
Lucía
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 estrellas

Si tuviera que describir este libro con un sólo GIF, lo haria con este:

SO DAMN GOOD. DAAAAYUM.
emma
Ah, good fantasy. (Please read with the exact voice and emotional expression of the Spongebob Squarepants narrator soothingly intoning, Ah, Goo Lagoon. If you do not know this reference, please go educate yourself on the tenets of modern culture, you uncultured swine.) BUT WAS IT ACTUALLY GOOD FANTASY?! Now I regret typing that long Spongebob allusion. But not enough to remove it. It took too long. I cannot waste these amazing pop-culture references.

I am v
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I kept hearing how the second book of this series is even better than the first and... no.

I listened to the audiobook since it was recommended and I think it may have been a mistake. There's only so many times you can hear the dates and email address of people before wanting to throw your phone at the wall.
Hearing adults read cringy flirty teenager conversations was awkward and I didn't care for any of the characters.

I honestly thought throughout the whole book about DNFing... some parts were ok
Samantha
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure how I was going to like this one. Throughout at least half of the book, I was thinking it was going to be only 3 stars. But the ending punched it into a 4 star slot, topping it off with another cliffhanger ending. Full video review will be up on my channel closer to release!
alyssa ♛
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, 5-stars
1 MILLION STARS!

Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Lead Male Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Lead Female Character: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars (Hanna) ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars (Ella)
Plotline: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars
Genre: Si-fi, fantasy, adventure, thriller, a bit of romance, and a whole lot of craziness!
Will I recommend this book to others?: Fuck yeah!
Will I reread this book?: YES!
Overall story summed up in one word: PERFECTION!

So I Googled the definition of perfect and this is what came up:

per•fect

adjective
/pərfik
may ❀
Ultimate buddy read with my darling (but-not-really-darling-more-like-kinda-a-lot-crazy) squad, SanaRyEmLunaPragCaitlinJenn

^^Click their names to see their reviews - you won't regret, they're fabulous. ♡ ♡

I’ve just spent the entire day in another universe, excuse me while I try to reintegrate into real life.

To give a brief summary of my emotions:

description

This series just got so much better, like multiple folds better.

Gemina continues the story of Illuminae, but from the other
Cait • A Page with a View
This was a super intense story, but I definitely like Illuminae way more. I wasn't as into the alien parasites or Russian mob here and didn't connect as much to the characters or story.... like I just didn't care what happened to them very often. I loved Kady, Ezra, and AIDAN in the last book and was basically just hanging in there to see them show up. So that was fun.

I think the part that made me kind of more neutral about this book was (view spoiler)
Melanie
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Em

1.) Illuminae ★★★★

“Patience and Silence had one beautiful daughter. And her name was Vengeance.”

You all, I just don’t know what to say. This series just doesn’t do for me what it does for everyone else. I don’t dislike these books at all, they just aren’t even close to being one of my all time favorites either. Please, take this review with a grain of salt, because literally all of my friends five star this series. And even though I really like and appreciate the unique formatting, witty ban
Mara
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Motherfucker of a story. I just read this 600+ page monster in one sitting, that's how epic it was. As suspenseful, charming and gritty as its predecessor albeit fantastically uniquely so. The wait for book 3 will be crushing.
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
update : I just posted it but half of my review is ◼◼◼◼ing gone!!!! so I have to write again.

REVIEW TO COME TODAY!

4.5 Stars

HE FAILED HER ONCE. HE REFUSES TO DO SO AGAIN.

you must have read the first book, which is Illuminae and if you haven't then you need to go to the nearest bookstore and buy it. seriously you have to read it. I have to admit that I didn't really like the first book as much as I liked the second book. Not even close. you can read my review of Illuminae here to know why I d
  • Lifel1k3 (Lifelike, #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
  • Warcross (Warcross, #1)
  • Starfall (Starflight, #2)
  • Like a River Glorious (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #2)
  • Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • The Swan Riders (Prisoners of Peace, #2)
  • The Ship Beyond Time (The Girl From Everywhere, #2)
  • Flashfall (Flashfall, #1)
  • Aerie (Magonia, #2)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Vengeful (Villains, #2)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times, USA Today and internationally bestselling author of science fiction and fantasy. Her multi-award winning work has been published in over 35 countries, and is in development for film and TV. A couple of her career highlights so far include professional wolf-howling lessons, and working as a story consultant at NASA. You can sign up for her newsletter to see what sh ...more
More about Amie Kaufman

The Illuminae Files (3 books)
  • Illuminae (The Illuminae Files, #1)
  • Obsidio (The Illuminae Files, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Patience and Silence had one beautiful daughter. And her name was Vengeance.” 209 likes
“And now, born from the ashes, she’s a warrior in bloodied black.” 100 likes