Start by marking “If The Dress Fits” as Want to Read:
If The Dress Fits

If The Dress Fits

Martha Aguas kind of has it all--she's an accountant who loves numbers, an accident-prone puppy that loves her, and the perfect wardrobe.

Yes, she wears a dress size 24, her bras don't fit and she's never had a boyfriend, but so what?

It becomes a big deal when her perfect cousin Regina announces her engagement to Enzo, the only boy she's ever loved (he doesn't know, so do
ebook
Published October 15th 2016 by Midnight Books (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about If The Dress Fits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If The Dress Fits

Start your review of If The Dress Fits
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

💙 I read this for the Unapologetic Romance Readers' New Years 2018 Reading Challenge, for the category of: Animal Lovers' Romance. For more info on this challenge, click here. 💙

When I found out that this was a romance between a plus-sized woman of color and her best friend, I screamed. Even better, it's #OwnVoices Filipino rep and the hero is a veterinarian. This book was also on sale. Honestly, this was like the perfect storm of all pos
Sharon
I felt like I was still waiting for my life to begin, but my weight had nothing to do with that.

Pros
– Body positive and realistic: I love the protagonist’s conflicted feelings about her body. She realistically struggles with her feelings on it sometimes, but she, at the end of the day, accepts her body, and I love that. Even when family or strangers comment negatively about her body and pressure her to lose weight, she has learned to accept that she loves eating, and she’s not going to chan
Kate (GirlReading)
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75* This was so cute! I mean, who doesn't love a best friends to lovers romance featuring a fat girl who loves herself AND two utterly adorable dogs, (including one named Wookie!!!)

I did have a few issues with the way it was edited. There were a few sentences that didn't flow, with words in the wrong place etc. and I found the tense a little all over the place, with it switching back and forth from 1st to 3rd (sometimes even within a single sentence).
My feelings towards the fat representatio
K.J. Charles
This was a compelling read mostly for the heroine's voice. Martha is seriously fat, and conflicted: she's basically happy, her weight problem is that people are jerks about her weight, but she does feel insecure, hurt, and constantly very conscious of her body. I am not a great fan of insecurity as a romance plot driver but it's easy to see why someone who's constantly being told how unattractive she is should struggle. She is, when not being insecure, highly competent, likeable, funny, and stan ...more
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
"I'm actually happy with my weight, even though it's hard to believe. I like that I can work it, because it's mine. Everyone makes me feel so guilty for it, like there's something wrong with me. But come on. I look amazing. And honestly? I don't say it enough. I LOOK AMAZING."

If The Dress Fits is the perfect, funny, adorable romance contemporary you seek. And have found. It's about Martha and the wedding of her cousin, Regina. And because of this wedding, the whole family is coming to Manila
Rebekah Weatherspoon
This book does need a wee bit of a trigger warning for Fatphobia on the part of a few of the characters and Eating Disorder mention and behaviors.

That said HOLY FUCK THIS BOOK WAS FUN! The plot was straight up rom com with family drama goodness. I gasped several times and had to set my kindle down to process the plot twist I'd just read.

As a fat woman I could totally relate to Martha's experience. Sometimes you love your body. Sometimes you hate it, but that doesn't mean you hate yourself. I lo
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
I was so excited to read If the Dress Fits and it certainly live up to my expectations. It was funny, heartwarming, and empowering. A disclaimer: this review is coming from a skinny Filipinx reviewer, I can’t vet on the fat representation but remember that this is an #ownvoices book. I know this would mean a lot to fellow Filipino readers that need their own mirror. It’s difficult to find a fat character in the medium that we consume that didn’t resort to stereotypes, especially losing weight. I ...more
Claire
Ooof, I just... had a hard time with parts of this. I was excited that it was framed as a fat-pos romance set in the Philippines with an #ownvoices author... and while parts of it worked super well for me, others were not so great.

I liked:
-The setting and sense of place
-The role that her strong extended family played, with each family member fleshed out rather than being an afterthought
-how SUPER into her the dudes were, especially Max (and I read the bonus story from his POV, which made me re
Jess
The only reason this book isn't five stars is the occasional distracting typo or discrepancy in continuity. And the fact that she said Shakespeare 400 was in celebration of his birthday, not his death. But otherwise, magical, wonderful, adorable book. I mean, look at the cover, and then download a sample and read the dedication. If that doesn't get you, read the rest of the sample and see if you don't immediately buy the rest of it.

But seriously: capable, fat heroine with life goals that don't i
Veronika
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finished this last night in less than two hours, and wow, this was so adorable!! I'd say this is the most rom-com like book I've EVER read, and while rom-coms are not my favorites, I did love this tons, even if the drama towards the end was a bit too much.

Small list of reasons why you should read it:

- body-positivity + #ownvoices fat rep
- #ownvoices Fillipinx rep
- shippy as heck romance (A+ use of the best friends to lovers trope)
- strong willed, amazing heroine
- the hero was lovely! he was a
Laura (bbliophile)
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have nothing but love for this one. The romance was A+, the cultural/family aspects were incredibly interesting and fun to read about, and who doesn't love a book about a fat girl loving herself?
Jaclyn
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
8/12/2017 A fun, body positive romance and a delight to read! I love the realism of Martha's complex relationship with her boys, and sweet, bookish, animal-loving Max is just perfect. All empathy as well for Martha's crush on theatre guy Enzo, coz who doesn't love a theatre guy? Seriously, part of why I loved reading this book so much is that Martha has exactly the same taste in guys I do. I can also relate to her body insecurities -- how much do I love the sex scenes where Max worships her body ...more
Mônica
...............well
I've been fat my entire life. and, in my 23 years of life, I barely consumed any media with fat characters, let alone protagonists, so having books with fat MC is, you know, a Big Deal for me.
with that said, this book was...... an experience.
Martha is a decent, even relatable, MC for the story, the family dynamics are great and the romance, even if a bit messy, is cute enough to make me root for them.
but then we have the language Martha uses to describe herself. I've lost coun
Maf (Bookworm Wanders)
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS SO BEAUTIFUL IM CRYING BUT IT WAS ALSO TOO FAST AND SUPER SHORT?!?! EXCUSE ME I NEED SO MUCH MORE OF THESE CHARACTERS
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book reminded me of Crazy Rich Asians because of the family dynamics. I can relate with having to deal with extended family members especially with issues such as weight and getting married at a certain age (which is really common in the Philippines).

Martha is a very likable MC; she tries her best not to get affected by the comments about her weight and relationship status. She has a guy best friend named Max who is a veterinarian, a music lover, and a bookworm. It's really hard not to pick
Sofie
3/5 stars

I liked the sort of positive body image message Martha tried to send throughout the book and her I don’t care attitude towards the fatphobic snide comments her family threw at her. Some of the things she said in regard to body image I could relate too.

What I felt was a bit lacking was the romance part of the plot. Max and Martha had an already established relationship from the beginning of the book, being best friends and all, so while reading the book I struggled to see their relat
mindful.librarian ☀️
Cute story, and a unique-to-me setting. Too much self-deprecation for my taste and definitely could use a professional editor! I’m going to try another from this author, though ~ she has promise!
Leah
For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. I only had an issue when it came to the narrative descriptions of Martha's fatness. I was prepared for fatphobic comments from other characters, but I wasn't prepared for the MC herself to describe herself with phrased like "giant stomach," "massive thighs," "double chin," and more. Martha is supposedly happy with her body most of the time--and there are certainly moments where she owns the hell out of it--but descriptions like this didn't indicate ...more
kb
A crime often committed by many readers but rarely claimed, judging books by the cover was what got me here. If The Dress Fits has a really pretty one that had me signing up for the ARC in .001 second.

Continue reading below!

(view spoiler)
Bianca (The Ultimate Fangirl)
Full review on my blog at The Ultimate Fangirl

I received an eARC for review of this book from Ms. Carla herself. Please know that this is an honest review and all the thoughts and opinions that I have for this book are all mine.

Is it possible to feel all the feels? For some reason, I have been reading a lot of books that tell me that I should love myself. And it is probably why I liked this book very much.

First, the book shines as a character-driven story. Martha is this person who seems very
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Boricuan Bookworms- Book Reviews.

If I had to describe If the Dress Fits in one word, it would have to be ADORABLE. This book is about Martha, who’s tasked with planning her cousin’s wedding. The problem? Her cousin is marrying the guy Martha sort of loved.
Amanda
This was so friggin cute oh my gosh. And it's set Manila, something I've never encountered in a romance novel before. I loved the setting!

More reasons why you should read this book:

1) it's body positive!
2) Martha is adorable and so is her best friend, Max!
3) friends-to-lovers with a bit of fake relationship and ~secret yearning~ thrown in = trope heaven
4) she has 3 aunts named Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather
5) there's some musical geekiness in this as Martha and Enzo (her old crush) met while d
Emily Dunbar
Alright team, this is another Fat Book and also another doozy... strap in.

Here’s the good:
1. Martha is 100% definitely actually fat! And she is mostly accepting of and loving to her body throughout (we’ll get to the “mostly” later)
2. Very believable (aka heartbreaking) running inner monologue assuming people she is interested in couldn’t possibly be attracted to her...
3. ... and being proved wrong! A lot!!! With really hot people who are super into her!
4. Set in the Philippines and takes us to
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it

If the Dress Fits is a funny and cute romance story. This is a #ownvoices book both for being overweight and being Filipinx. The main character, Martha, is plus sized woman of color and she has a positive relationship with her weight, which makes this story really valuable. The love interest is Max, a biracial veterinarian, who loves to read, is really romantic and quotes books in random moments. They are both interesting characters and it’s entertaining to read about them.

The romance in this bo
The_Book_Queen
✦ 1st POV, heroine only
✦ Fat heroine; she’s an accountant
✦ Friends to lovers
✦ He’s a vet
✦ Set in Manila, part of the #romanceclass books [own voices]

I wanted to like this one more but I was kinda disappointed by it all :/

The romance -- which . . . isn't really much of a romance at all -- is more like 2 stars, and I've been wavering between 2 1/2 and 3 stars for the book overall.

Part of it was my own problems; I'm not in the right mindset to read about a heroine who is often self-deprecating abou
Fay
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the books for my #romancethesis. ♥
Dawn Lanuza
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This made me really happy, just saying.
And isn't that what reading romance novels is about?
Liana Smith Bautista | Will Read for Feels
***This review was first posted on book blog Will Read for Feels.

I freely admit I have got mad feels for Carla de Guzman’s latest read, If the Dress Fits. As someone who wears dress sizes in double digits despite being barely a hair over five foot flat, I found myself instantly relating to main character Martha Aguas. Especially when I read this:

"My relationship with food was long, simple, and absolutely delicious. My relationship with my weight was a little more complicated. I carried it around
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
If The Dress Fits: a romance story featuring a fat girl set in the Philippines. I wanted to read this book as soon as I heard about it.

The book is an #ownvoices book.

___

I loved that social media was present in this book. I’ve seen so many contemporary novels that don’t touch on social media, which I find weird considering that most people of my generation use it every day. The character who is a bookworm actually has an opinion on Goodreads, which I thought was funny to read.

Martha is a lovely c
Jackie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
An overweight Filipino woman from a privileged family bounces back and forth between celebrating her size and worrying over it as she encounters an old flame and deals with a shifting relationship with her male best friend. Interesting Manila setting and Filipino family dynamics, but the main character's assertions that her weight doesn't bother her are continually belied by her own worries, fears, and actions.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (Kwan Sisters, #1)
  • Like Nobody's Watching
  • Mango Summer
  • Mr. Hotshot CEO (Kwan Sisters, #2)
  • Guarding Temptation
  • Dangerous Curves Ahead (Perfect Fit, #1)
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • Wanna Bet? (Dirty British Romance, #2)
  • Fairy Tale Fail (Chic Manila, #2)
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • My Imaginary Ex (Chic Manila, #1)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Pretty Face (London Celebrities, #2)
  • Trade Me (Cyclone, #1)
  • The Worst Best Man
Author, occasional illustrator, full-time traveler.