Start by marking “Seven-Card Stud (Wild Cards, #2)” as Want to Read:
Seven-Card Stud (Wild Cards, #2)

Seven-Card Stud

(Wild Cards #2)

Temptation, peril, and dirty poker.

Love is a high-stakes game.

When Collin Callahan, British secret agent, goes up against math genius turned surfer bum Oliver Elliot, the battle is epic—and so is the attraction. They’re pitted against each other in an exclusive, ultra-secret—and ultra-illegal—poker match in Gibraltar, but when players start dying and they could be next, th
ebook, Dreamspun Desires #22, 242 pages
Published November 15th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Seven-Card Stud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven-Card Stud

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Set during a super shady Texas Hold 'Em poker tournament in Gibraltar that has got to be the longest poker tournament known to man, Seven Card Stud is yet another Dreamspun piece of cracky fluff. I thought the poker tournament in Casino Royale was long but James Bond's got nothing on these folks.

I didn't read the predecessor to this but had no trouble keeping up with the plot which is pretty OTT. I won't go into specifics suffice to say I had this look on my face often:

It's strongly akin to the
CrabbyPatty
"Seven-Card Stud" is the second book in Ava Drake's Wild Cards series but can easily be read as a stand-alone. A suave British agent (think James Bond) spots a neoprene-clad swimmer off the coast of Gibraltar. Suddenly a jet-ski comes out of nowhere, heading straight for the swimmer. When the swimmer fails to come up to the surface, the agent dives into the icy waters.

"Seven-Card Stud" starts with a bang as Collin, usually a behind-the-scenes intelligence analyst for the private security firm Wi
Natalie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a mostly fun bit of fluff with a James Bond-ian flavor but without the sophistication. Collin, working for a high-end security company as a skilled mathematician, is sent to infiltrate a secret high-roller poker tournament in Gibraltar. He meets Oliver, surfer dude, mathematic genius and ex-pro poker player. The ultimate winnings from the tournament are unknown and both are there to find out what it is.

The events that follow, aside from a few hot sexual encounters, are often fun and mos
Serena Yates
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Opposites might attract, but that would only last up to the point where they attacked and killed each other.” Collin Callahan, British secret agent

Secrets, intrigue, and danger abound in this thriller about a high-stakes international poker game where attracting the wrong people’s attention will get you killed. ‘Seven-Card Stud’ is an action-packed battle for supremacy based on psychological cleverness, the ability to outwit your opponent, and the willingness to do whatever it takes to win. And
Shee Reader
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seven Card Stud by Ava Drake (Audio) Narrated by Jon Solo

Review by Shee Reader for Boy Meets Boy Reviews.

Rating: 4.5 Hearts

Colin stands on his balcony looking out over the stormy mediterranean sea and observes a jet ski heading right for a swimmer. Once the jet ski zooms by the swimmer is nowhere to be sen, so Colin being the upstanding English gent he is, he takes off his loafers and sweater and dives into the ice water to save the swimmer.

Gun the poker player, is Oliver the surfer. He can’t r
Pianka *call me PIU*
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m

“Seven Card Stud” by Ava Drake is a good combination of danger, mystery, espionage and romance. Also the inclusion of a “stiff and proper” British character fed my fantasy of a gay “James Bond” completely. I had a fun time reading this book. The MCs were a complete contrast in characters and personalities and thus their romance with a back drop of danger and intrigue kept me hooked till the end.

Collin Callahan, a British government plant is pitted against math genius/surfer bum, Oliver
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Nov 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-review, read-2016
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

I have mixed feelings about this story. On the one hand, it was much more complex than most of the others I’ve read in the Dreamspun Desires series. There was more intrigue, more danger, and less of a chance to guess the outcome, but on the other hand, unfortunately, there was less romance. There was sex, and some of it smoking hot, but the MCs constantly bantered back and forth, sometim
Nicole
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Was a solid five star read. And then that ending. I think the plot tried to be too big for the story. Too much for one book.
Heather Martin
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement. *

This is Book 2 in the Wild Cards series. It is possible to read this one without reading the first, that’s what I did, but really, I feel like it would have given some insight into this book so just go ahead and read them both!

Collin is a British secret agent who usually works behind the computer but this time he’s sent into the field to play in a high-stak
Curtis
British secret agent Collin Callahan infiltrated a secret poker tournament to find out who was behind it and what they were offering as a prize. He was not expecting to find Oliver Elliot, a math genius turned surfer bum, and he certainly did not think he could fall for someone like him so quickly. But when other players start turning up dead, Collin and Oliver both realize something sinister is going on. And it turns out finding out who is sponsoring the tournament might create more problems th ...more
Nomarfan
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the mystery/spy aspect of this story. Had a nice HFN ending and would love to see Oliver and Colin take on more undercover operations.
Nicole
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining. Great read. Storyline of couple is completed but the Erebus storyline is still playing out.
Avellaneda
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mindless filler. As others have mentioned, plot lacks any real cohesive logic. Not a big fan of either protagonists. Didn't hate them; only indifference.
Nicki
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Listened to audio which I would only give three stars but another fun filled escapist plot in the Wild Cards series deservers a 4 in the romance category for the writing. If you liked the last story and can do so, buy the kindle or paperback, you won't be disappointed

The audio - honestly I wish Dreamspinner allowed some way to give feedback. If like me, you are restricted to listening to audiobooks, you might also be left with the impression that you just have to be grateful for what you are gi
Katherine
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the whole high stakes poker idea, running with it to make an even more dangerous game and intense romance.

Oliver is a laid back surfer boy. The thing he, that's all a facade, and one to piss off daddy-dearest. He's a highly intelligent man that is squandering all of taht away to run away from the family business. But the one thing he's always wanted to be the best poker player in the world, so a tournament against the best and not always nicest players in the world has him
Morgan  Skye
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, reviewed
I started out LOVING this, then I was scratching my head a bit, then LOVING it, then kinda shrugging…then a bit grumpy.
This absolutely reminds me of a James Bond movie as intended by the author. The opening scene, the setting, the men themselves, the villain, and the women. All very Bond.
The chemistry between Collin and Oliver is spectacular! They are hot for each other right from the start and about as opposite as can be so the sexual tension is amazing! This had me hooked from chapter one!
Whe
Natosha Wilson
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Danger, Danger, and more Danger.....that is what you get when you read this book. How a poker tournament turns into one murder after the next is what both of the main characters are trying to figure out. Not to mention staying alive long enough to hopefully get to the end of the tournament and find out exactly what the payout will be, since that seems to be some kind of big mystery in of itself.

Oliver in my opinion is just too smart for his own good. He acts like a dumb beach bum that only enjoy
Lisa The Novel Approach
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Collin Callahan is a stiff upper lip Brit. He’s been invited to a high-stakes poker tournament in Gibraltar. While out enjoying the Mediterranean Sea, he sees a surfer in trouble. Collin believes he’s rescuing the surfer bum, Gun Elliott, but, not so much.

Oliver “Gun” Elliott is a surfer, he doesn’t fit anyone’s mold, and has taken life by the horns. He’s also a math genius, and his expertise at poker has gotten him banned from casinos. Oliver has such a fun personality; he’s laid back and just
Rick
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The first in the Wild Card series I devoured. This one took me quite a while to warm up to. I really enjoyed the characters but I think it was the Poker background that brought it down for me. I really, really hate poker!!
However on the last bloody page Ava left me hanging and I hollared UGH!! Really looking forward to picking up with the characters in the next book.

Happy Reading!
Jaymie
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*
While I enjoyed Seven-Card Stud, I have to admit it didn't really do it for me. There wasn't anything wrong with the writing or anything like that. The truth is I just found myself getting easily distracted while reading it and it made it hard to connect with the story and characters.
When we are first introduced to Collin, he came off as uptight and
Mel Bradley
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the very beginning, this book surprised me. For some reason, I wasn’t expecting all of the drama and twists and turns galore – up until the very end. I can’t share much about the plot without giving it away, and trust me – you want to learn about it for yourself. But what I can share is that I liked both Collin and Gun so much – they were complete opposites, but fit together well.

The characters didn’t go very deep – the plot and suspsense drove this story, so warning: if you are seeking gre
Debra Guyette
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Collin Callahan, a British secret agent is in Gibraltar on a mission. He meets Oliver Elliot, a math genius who is now a surfer bum. The two are among many who are competing in a high-stake, super-secret, and illegal poker tournament. They are both competitive and also attracted to each other. As players disappear through accident or misadventure, Collin and Oliver decide to investigate together to determine what the real stakes are in this tournament.

Seven Card Stud turned out to be very exciti
Rissa
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read, dsp
The book was fine. It kept my attention because I honestly wanted to know the mystery. It was kind of a let down though, in my opinion, because it was a cliffhanger, sorry for spoilers! However, the book being in a series, should tip people off. The plot became sort of wild there. I agree with the other reviews I read after I read the book. I was kinda like, what the what?! Solid writing and I liked Collin and Oliver. :)
Katy Beth Mckee
This story is fast paced and draws the reader into the story which seems a bit more mystery and intrigue than romance although Collin and Oliver do ignite together. Tehre is so much action and many players involved. I don't want to much and give things away.

I was a bit disappointed in the ending which seemed to close to the cliff and left so much unanswered about the future of these two great guys.
Ajax1978
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was both outlandish and simplistic, and not a great combination of the two. I only finished it to see how the author could possibly resolve the ridiculousness. Well, the ridiculousness was turned up to 11. Too bad my limit is probably 5. No thanks.
Michael
3.25 Stars. I enjoyed the story but the ending feels unfinished. Not a cliffhanger but a sequel (or at least another fifty pages) is definitely in order.
Zane Kage
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-5
Theodora IK
The ending made me go "ugh!!!" It's the end of act
one for sure, but there is no sign of act two in the horizon. Hopefully I don't have to wait for a long time for the next story.
Sandra
Nov 14, 2016
Lestatt
Feb 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

Wild Cards (3 books)
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #1)
  • All In (Wild Cards, #3)