Start by marking “Unburied Fables” as Want to Read:
Unburied Fables

Unburied Fables

This collection enlisted talent around the world. From students to seasoned professionals, these writers came together to raise awareness and reinvent classic stories. While they showcase a wide variety of origins, styles, and endings, all the tales in this anthology have one classic element in common: a happily ever after.

Fifty percent of this collection's proceeds will b
Published October 25th 2016 by Creative Aces Publishing (first published October 24th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Unburied Fables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unburied Fables

Start your review of Unburied Fables
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
As with any anthology, the fact that I didn't love all stories equally must be considered here. I felt like some of them just didn't bring anything new to the classic stories they were telling— the main character being ace, gay, or trans, yes, but besides that they didn't really add much. And one story was very original but just plain confusing. But there were some really great stories as well, such as Brenna, the Match Girl, and the Peter Pan retelling. All in all it was an easy, positive read, ...more
pi
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a soft spot for fairy tale retellings, and I've always thought the queerer, the better, so it's like this book was made for me. Unburied fables is a collection of classic stories reinvented, and each one of them offers very interesting twists.

With several asexual characters, trans representation, and the promotion of so many forms of love (romantic and platonic as well), this compilation has become one of my favourite reads of the year.

I really enjoyed every story in this anthology but m
Zoe
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from Creative Aces Book Box

This is an anthology all about queer authors writing queer retellings of popular (and less popular) fairy tales. And I loved it. Even with some low ratings I had a very positive reading experience.

Overall, I had an average rating of exactly 3.5, so I rated the book on GR a solid 4 Stars because of just how much I enjoyed reading this. Below are breakdowns of each individual short story.

➽Handsome and the Beast by Laure Nepenthes// ★★★.5
"There once w
Marco (Barely a blogger)
It has been a long time since I read a collection of short stories that enthralled me so much that I read everything in less than 4 hours.

These tales all have a happy ending and are the kind of fables I will gladly read to any future kids I might have.

Some were new, some were familiar, but most of all, they were amazing!!

My compliments to all the writers, and a special shout-out to Emmy Clark!!

I hope you continue writing!
Becky Jenkinson
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous collection of stories! They each had their own voice, and I enjoyed seeing the different interpretations of queer happiness and love - it wasn't all romantic relationships. Favourites included: Match Stick Girl, Satin Skirts and Wooden Shoes, and most of all, Brenna! They were the strongest stories that resonated with me and were very well written; some parts of Brenna had me laughing out loud! I tended to enjoy the more fairy tale genre stories, and didn't click as much with the modern ...more
Mirnatius
This is an LGBTQIA+ anthology that I did not finish because I came upon a short story that I didn’t like. There was nothing wrong with it, I just have to like every short story in an anthology for me to continue. The previous ones were good and some were really great. I love the aromantic representation! This book supports the Trevor Project though, and it has ace and aro rep too, which has very little representation in any form of media. I’m giving a rating since I read and spent a lot of time ...more
Lorna (lornaslibrary)
Plus
+It's so nice to read stories where LGBTQIA characters aren't even questioned
+Portrays some of the lesser represented sexualities and relationship types like asexuality, aromanticism, and polyamory
+Stories based on fairytales from other cultures, not just the most universal ones (Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Andersen, etc.)
+They all have happy endings

Minus
-A lot of the stories are very simplistic and difficult to engage with. I ended up losing interest and reading something else for a whil
Keihi
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
While my quest for that one trans Cinderella retelling to rule them all still continues, and words like "attraction" and "valid" sometimes look quite awkward in the fairy tale style of writing, I loved this anthology to bits. I loved the representation, I loved the absolute majority of the stories, and I loved the feeling this book left me with.
Andrea
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, anglés
This was a really lovely read. I'm not too fond of retellings but these certainly add the queer diversity that I enjoy.
Cecilie Larsen
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
The majority of these stories seems like they're aimed at a lower age level. Might be good for a younger audience, but I expected different. I'm not sure if it is on purpose or if many of the authors are just really inexperienced writers.

I know these are supposed to be fairytales, but this isn't old oral tales written down, this is new reinvention. Maybe put some actual effort into fleshing out the stories and characters, so things make proper sense? Or so it isn't just a actual retelling of the
Haley
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, ebook-read
These are the fairy tales we should have all grown up with–where we a prince might climb a tower to save the princess, but then she is given the choice to go with him…or the daring woman who swoops in to maybe save them both. And maybe that prince just stays and hangs out with all those books that princess left because HECK YES I WANT TO STAY IN THE TOWER BY MYSELF! HEAVEN!

Ok, that might have been a spoiler for one of the stories. Oops. But you catch on pretty quick to the theme once you get goi
Jessa Denton
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honored to know the author

Very well Written. This short story is both intriguing and curious. Certainly not what I had in mind when I set out to read it but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Charlie
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really gorgeous, varied collection of fairy tales with a twist, from across the spectrum of sexuality and gender. I particularly loved Odd, Expectations, Match Sticks and The Last Lost Boy.

4.5
Ceillie Simkiss
Some of these stories I loved, some I didn't, but it was a good collection.
RoAnna Sylver
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
"Whatever is spoken in the forest cannot be unsaid, lying can be just as dangerous as the truth, names hold power, and the most dangerous of predators used words that were coated with honey."

* * *

This took me a while to read, but it's not because I didn't enjoy it. These bite-sized queer fairy tale retellings (a lot of ace/aromantic goodness) go quickly; most are easy to get through in a few minutes. So I tried to only read one or two a night to savor/appreciate - this didn't really work, becaus
André Caniato
Probably one of the best collections I've read... ever? Each story brought something new and interesting to the fairy tale it was based on. Congratulations to all involved.
Jessie
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a really interesting mix of stories here -- based on very well known and lesser known fairy tales, traditional fairy tale settings or modern or future ones, a wide variety of kinds of love shown, and lesbian, gay, trans, and ace characters. There are at least four stories with explicitly ace characters and several others where it's either implied or there's no romantic endgame for the MC.

My favorite stories: Expectations, Match Sticks, Beauty's Beasts, Dark Matters.
Helena
This was a very refreshening collection with loads of diversity and great messages. Although some stories felt a bit weak for me, there were some that I loved and they were:

"Match Sticks", by Minerva Cerridwen:
This was by far my favourite. I've always loved The Little Match Girl, but the twist Minerva gave to the story, making it much more positive, was really original. I also really liked how the writing was reminiscent of the original fairytale.

"The Last Lost Boy", by George Lester:
Despite be
Manon
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
To be fair, I got this book because my friend authored one of the stories - I'm not involved in the ace community whatsoever and probably wouldn't have read the book otherwise, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I felt some of the stories ended a bit abruptly or could have used more subtle wordings for certain concepts (I agree with another reviewer that notions like 'validity' or 'attraction' don't fit into this type of writing), and I spotted quite a few typos... But it was great to read fairy tale ...more
Claire P
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredibly hard to rate, because there were stories I absolutely loved, while I didn't enjoy others much. I felt that overall, there was a lot of telling vs showing going on, which often disrupted my immersion. That said, I think books like this, that very deliberately retell common stories in unique, diverse ways are incredibly important, which is why, overall, I feel okay giving this 4 stars. I also know that others have enjoyed it a lot more, and I believe it's great to get lite ...more
Rachel (Rustling Reads)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ace, lgbt, reviewed
I am so here for this collection of fairy tale retellings. Some are straight-up (ha!) queer retellings of familiar tales, some challenge the original tales with the inclusion of queerness, and some are a loving reconfiguration of the original tales, with the inclusion of queerness almost incidental to the function of the story.

You can read my full review here: https://rustlingreads.wordpress.com/2...
Tessa
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked how many of the stories were recognizable as the famous fairytales I read and listened to when I grew up, but that they were different enough to keep them interesting.
I also enjoyed how they went from set in 'medieval'-ish times, to modern day and even sci-fi settings, it kept it interesting and diverse :D
Laurie McElderry
Interesting Twists on Fairy Tales

I have always loved fairy tales, so I enjoyed this collection of gay and ace retellings. My favorites are "Handsome and the Beast" and "Match Sticks."
Estance Moriarty
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful collection of fairy tales!
Anna Marie
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
the last few tales i didnt enjoy very much, but some of these stories were lovely!!
Dannica Zulestin
I'm giving this book a low rating but not because it was necessarily bad. More because it didn't really appeal to my tastes? I think I've just grown out of the simplistic style and morality of fairy tales, and I wanted something more lyrical and complex here. These are stories that children would enjoy, but that's not really what I expected even though I guess I should have known they are fables.
The best stories, imo, are "Match Sticks" by Minerva Cerridwen, and "The Last Lost Boy" by George Les
Andrea D. McCarthage
Oct 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-book
Although I appreciate the attempt to include LGBT representation, I can't say it's been done with any sort of style or sense. With the exception of one or two, each story serves up its queer themes in an extremely heavy-handed and overt manner, bordering on parody. Veritable name-drops occur to make sure we understand which of the fringe characters identifies as what and is entangled with whom, while main characters flat-out state their sexual preferences in casual conversation.

There's definite
Melissa
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm going to give this collection a strong nod of approval. Unburied Fables gives a voice to underrepresented queer identities and for that I'm grateful. Just as in a fairy tale, things happen much more easily than in the real world and the validation that each character feels by the end of their story is cathartic.

By far my favorite tale is Match Sticks by Minerva Cerridwen. The famous Match Girl sees a much happier ending after selling her "match sticks" to passersby; these small pieces of woo
Lisa Dinsmore
Could have been better. There were repetitions (more than one Beauty and the Beast inspired story, for example), and a Peter Pan inspired story that didn't feel to fit the overall folklore theme. There was a good chunk of decent stories about a third of the way in, including "Match Sticks", and a nice f/f twist on saving the princess from a dragon. Overall though the aro and aroaceness seemed blunt and in some cases confusing in regards to the plot. More nuance and diversity of aceness and other ...more
Annalisa Ely
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
As is common with anthologies, this is a mixed bag. Some of the retellings were very creative and took interesting and sometimes humorous twists on the classic stories (I'm looking at you, Goldilocks and the Three "Bears") while some were just the exact story we are familiar with but with a lgbtqpa+ ending. I would say about 60% are aspec while the rest include polyamory, gays, lesbians, and trans people. I really liked how the stories are drawn from a number of different cultures, and I think m ...more
London Asexual an...: April 2019: UNBURIED FABLES by Creative Aces Publishing 1 7 Apr 15, 2019 12:28PM
GreatAce.Club: December: Unburied Fables 31 73 Dec 31, 2016 02:27PM

• Sea Foam and Silence (Fairytale Verses, #1)
  • The Ice Princess's Fair Illusion (Fairytale Verses, #2)
  • The Faerie Godmother's Apprentice Wore Green
  • Queens of Geek
  • Let's Talk About Love
  • Duchess of My Heart (The Vault Collection, #1)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)
  • Werecockroach
  • Starry River of the Sky
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Goddess of The Hunt
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • The Dragon of Ynys
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • The Rose Legacy (The Rose Legacy, #1)
  • Stranger (The Change, #1)
  • Heart of the Fae (The Otherworld, #1)
After a decade of touring the country, Rachel Sharp is hiding out in Vermont with several plants and her questionable sense of humor. At time of writing, she is working on entirely too many projects. The previous statement will be true regardless of time of reading.

She also lives with chronic illness, plays ukulele, and tries to save the planet.